Why Aren't There Any Openly Gay Astronauts?

Jul 24, 2012 | Posted by: Rick in Kansas | Full story: www.space.com

Three hundred and thirty American men and women have served as astronauts since the start of NASA's human spaceflight program.

Comments
1 - 4 of 4 Comments Last updated Jul 25, 2012

“ WOOF !”

Since: Oct 10

Coolidge, AZ

#1 Jul 24, 2012
Good article.

Also, part of being an astronaut is public relations and politics. And because of that, when it comes time for NASA to pick an astronaut, there's institutional prejudice, a macho culture, and they simply don't want the added hassles that would come with an openly gay astronaut.

Sally Ride was a great American. It's a shame she died so young.

:(

My condolences to her partner and family.
Space Cadet

El Segundo, CA

#2 Jul 24, 2012
Rough anal sex in outer space disturbs the inertial navigation system, causing premature firing of the retro-rockets.

“ WOOF !”

Since: Oct 10

Coolidge, AZ

#3 Jul 24, 2012
Space Cadet wrote:
Rough anal sex in outer space disturbs the inertial navigation system, causing premature firing of the retro-rockets.
I'm gay. Been out for over 30 years. I NEVER engage in anal sex. never hav. Appparently you are obssessed with it.

I wonder why that is....
an Impartial Observer

Ocala, FL

#5 Jul 25, 2012
I know of one: Helmsman of the Enterprise known as Sulu, George Takei is openly gay. His witty blogs and Facebook postings are great fun to read regardless of the reader's sexual orientation.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Obituaries Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Martha L. Samolitis 1941-2011 (Jan '12) Thu bess 2
Michael Mike W Fry Aug 26 Paul Anthony Keene 1
Karen Carrell Aug 25 anbanfrmin 1
PREYTONIE, Paul R. Aug 23 SCOTT SMITH 1
Robin Williams' family members 'arrive for priv... Aug 23 Jesus On A Stick 666 2
Official autopsy: Brown shot 6 times, had pot i... Aug 23 Cat74 91
Dorothy I. Lissenden, R. N. Obituary (Oct '09) Aug 23 COREY And BRANDON 233
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••

Obituaries People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••