Fitchburg's untold story: It's the cultural center of region - ...

Full story: Sentinel & Enterprise

Many people think Fitchburg is just another old mill town. Those who do, however, should reconsider, for Fitchburg is far more than an old mill town.

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 20 of36
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
kevin from fitchburg

Concord, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#1
Dec 14, 2009
 
I appreciate this post as I have allot of respect for the culture that fills this historically culteral city. I am always amazed at the great and amazing arcitecture that often gets overlooked in Fitchburg.
I understand that this town has allot of History.CVS in leominster has posted old pictures of downtown leominster and Fitchburg on their ourside walls. I wish Fitchburg would make a simular move as there are many old pictures in allot of the diners and the hardware store on water street. The gentleman in there should be interviewed on the history.
truffles

Boston, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#2
Dec 14, 2009
 
Sayning it is so does not make it so. Fitchburg is merely a run down old mill town that has gotten worse each decade. Can't say as I know many people who would chose to live there if they had opportunities to live elsewhere. Quite the propaganda. It's ugly, depressed economically, and a cultural 0.
Jay

Concord, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#3
Dec 14, 2009
 
Also see the collection of historical postcards at the Boulder Gallery located (wait for it) near the Boulder. All the postcards can be reproduced in various sizes for very reasonable prices.
DownTown

Fitchburg, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#4
Dec 14, 2009
 
I do agree, Fitchburg has an incredible and well established connection to arts and culture that we should promote and grow. How many other small cities in this area can boast of a college established in 1895 (that by the way has an incredible art gallery), a world class art museum established in 1925, the old Wallace Library on Main Street had an art gallery on the second floor in the late 1800's and nearly 1900's, one of the oldest community theaters in the country, and more recently a nice selection of art galleries and theater groups on Main Street. Sometimes we tend to overlook what we have right in front of us.
kevin from fitchburg

Concord, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#5
Dec 14, 2009
 
DownTown wrote:
I do agree, Fitchburg has an incredible and well established connection to arts and culture that we should promote and grow. How many other small cities in this area can boast of a college established in 1895 (that by the way has an incredible art gallery), a world class art museum established in 1925, the old Wallace Library on Main Street had an art gallery on the second floor in the late 1800's and nearly 1900's, one of the oldest community theaters in the country, and more recently a nice selection of art galleries and theater groups on Main Street. Sometimes we tend to overlook what we have right in front of us.
I agree Fitchburg has a history in arts and culture. With improvements that have been made over the past five years and the improvements on their way Fitchburg will only improve. The college has a multi million dollar budget for a modern science building.Fitchburg just got a multi million dollar grant to improve the railroad.
Hopefully the mayors office will approve displays of blown up photos of the city's past. We need to celebrate the acitecture,arts and culture in Fitchburg.
kevin from fitchburg

Concord, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#6
Dec 14, 2009
 
truffles wrote:
Sayning it is so does not make it so. Fitchburg is merely a run down old mill town that has gotten worse each decade. Can't say as I know many people who would chose to live there if they had opportunities to live elsewhere. Quite the propaganda. It's ugly, depressed economically, and a cultural 0.
I nderstand why some people would have these feelings about fitchburg as allot are true.It is a bit ugly, but with the recent upgrades to the commuter rail,the new bridge,the new market basket and other upgrades it has improved greatly over the past five years. Fitchburg is depressed economically but this will change as the city has climbed. The abandoned houses are seeing facelifts.People are beginning to pick up there property.It only takes a few to encourage the majority. I lived in Boston for 25 years; the arcitecture in Fitchburg is amazing as it mirrors allot of awesome arcitecture in Boston.Fitchburg has a history of business and education. Take the time to relax and look up at some of the buildings and houses in Fitchburg. I am in awe everytime I look around.
Our town has a new Fire station. We all need to get involved more and respect our city more as it is a great town. The post office is nice. The library is nice but it does need help in increasing their budget but they still have resources that one can enjoy.Check out the new art gallery down town. Write the mayor with suggestions or complaints. Don't just complain ,offer solution possibilities.Support local small businesses.
Fitchburg is at the beginning of a huge boost. There are allot of elderly in Fitchburg that love Fitchburg. I love listening to the old stories.Fitchburg has a good history. Check out the old hardware store on water street. The older gentleman there offers great deals on supplies and tool rentals. Look at his counter and all the photos under the glass.One thing about Fitchburg is it use to be filled with money, this is why the houses are so great in their arcitecture.If these houses were in Boston they would sell for big money. There are houses inside Fitchburg that sell for 400-500 thousand. Our parks here are enjoyable and upgraded.
Allot of the old negative comments about Fitchburg are beginning to fade. Stay involved in the city,register to vote encourage all your friends and family to do the same.Be proud of Fitchburg. Research the towns budget and email the mayor and let her know you are involved and would likee to see the budget micro managed better so we can see better results. Fitchburg just recieved multi million dollar grants, request to the mayor to make sure it's residents are offered job opportunities. We need a new police station or another one; this can be accomplished with better book making. there is a new chief so maybe he will clean and tighten this budget so it works more appropiate for the betterment of Fitchburg. It could be changing shifts around so there are more police at night. We need to concentrate on having lights turned back on;this will take re budgeting; allot of re budgeting can be done as to not hurt anyones jobs.
Stay involved;it will be a better place to live with everyones involvement. Your vote does count and your involvement does make a difference.I rake the leaves across the street as well as my house so that the neighborhood looks better;I have a plow truck so I plow my street extra good so it will look better and the neighbors can park safely.I pick up trash off the street all the time.Wear a glove. You will be shocked what alittle enrgy from one person can accomplish.
Constance Riley

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#7
Dec 14, 2009
 
Andrienne Clark has given us a thorough survey of the cultural contributions of Fitchburg's various historic and current arts as provided by many citizens over the years. She stresses the fact that these endeavors hae benefitted many people.
Main Street

Fitchburg, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#8
Dec 14, 2009
 
My Mom worked at the library as a young woman and often talked about the beautiful paintings and sculpture that was displayed on the second floor or "art gallery" area of the Wallace Library. This city had the best of the best for many years, no one can deny that.
Fitchburg Resident

Quincy, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#9
Dec 14, 2009
 
It's about time we all start talking about the positives. As we all know there are plenty of problems but it's not like other towns don't have theirs. I'm not sure who was responsible for the xmas lights downtown (private money) but they look wonderful. Brought the kids down to Main St. for trick or treat and it was a great experience. "Kevin from Fitchburg" is right on.... we all do the same thing in our neighborhood and it looks great......
reply

Fitchburg, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#10
Dec 14, 2009
 
kevin from fitchburg wrote:
<quoted text>
I nderstand why some people would have these feelings about fitchburg as allot are true.It is a bit ugly, but with the recent upgrades to the commuter rail,the new bridge,the new market basket and other upgrades it has improved greatly over the past five years. Fitchburg is depressed economically but this will change as the city has climbed. The abandoned houses are seeing facelifts.People are beginning to pick up there property.It only takes a few to encourage the majority. I lived in Boston for 25 years; the arcitecture in Fitchburg is amazing as it mirrors allot of awesome arcitecture in Boston.Fitchburg has a history of business and education. Take the time to relax and look up at some of the buildings and houses in Fitchburg. I am in awe everytime I look around.
Our town has a new Fire station. We all need to get involved more and respect our city more as it is a great town. The post office is nice. The library is nice but it does need help in increasing their budget but they still have resources that one can enjoy.Check out the new art gallery down town. Write the mayor with suggestions or complaints. Don't just complain ,offer solution possibilities.Support local small businesses.
Fitchburg is at the beginning of a huge boost. There are allot of elderly in Fitchburg that love Fitchburg. I love listening to the old stories.Fitchburg has a good history. Check out the old hardware store on water street. The older gentleman there offers great deals on supplies and tool rentals. Look at his counter and all the photos under the glass.One thing about Fitchburg is it use to be filled with money, this is why the houses are so great in their arcitecture.If these houses were in Boston they would sell for big money. There are houses inside Fitchburg that sell for 400-500 thousand. Our parks here are enjoyable and upgraded.
Allot of the old negative comments about Fitchburg are beginning to fade. Stay involved in the city,register to vote encourage all your friends and family to do the same.Be proud of Fitchburg. Research the towns budget and email the mayor and let her know you are involved and would likee to see the budget micro managed better so we can see better results. Fitchburg just recieved multi million dollar grants, request to the mayor to make sure it's residents are offered job opportunities. We need a new police station or another one; this can be accomplished with better book making. there is a new chief so maybe he will clean and tighten this budget so it works more appropiate for the betterment of Fitchburg. It could be changing shifts around so there are more police at night. We need to concentrate on having lights turned back on;this will take re budgeting; allot of re budgeting can be done as to not hurt anyones jobs.
Stay involved;it will be a better place to live with everyones involvement. Your vote does count and your involvement does make a difference.I rake the leaves across the street as well as my house so that the neighborhood looks better;I have a plow truck so I plow my street extra good so it will look better and the neighbors can park safely.I pick up trash off the street all the time.Wear a glove. You will be shocked what alittle enrgy from one person can accomplish.
are you referring to the Fitchburg that is in Massachusetts?????? If so, what part are you looking at?
joe shmo

Leominster, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#11
Dec 14, 2009
 
kevin f.y.i. "allot" is not a word it is actually "a lot"
Fitchburg Resident

Quincy, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#12
Dec 14, 2009
 
reply wrote:
<quoted text>
are you referring to the Fitchburg that is in Massachusetts?????? If so, what part are you looking at?
I figured it was just a matter of time before the negativity would surface. If you don't know you must not know the city....
truffles

Boston, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#13
Dec 14, 2009
 
Husband grew up in Fitchburg and decided that his goal was to leave the city as it was depressing, dirty, a cultural vacuum, and that was in the 1970's. Today he claims it was the best move he has ever made\. Today it is more depressing, dirtier and over populated with minorities whose contributions are nil.
kevin from fitchburg

Concord, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#14
Dec 14, 2009
 
reply wrote:
<quoted text>
are you referring to the Fitchburg that is in Massachusetts?????? If so, what part are you looking at?
I am sorry you feel that way. Keep your head up and positive. There are many great things about Fitchburg. I lived in Dorchester,South Boston,Clinton,Shirley and Worcester. I work in all the towns surrounding.I read the papers,there are drugs everywhere! You need to rise above. Fitchburg represents many cultures. Cambridge represents every culture in the world.
There is racism in every race unfortunately. This city is going to raise above together;watch! If you rent, if you own it is all the same; this is your town!! Enjoy it's people and amenaties! Respect everyone, love life.
This is where you live. It is worth more than negative reputations. Take a walk to the park,it is yours, enjoy it. Take a walk,it is free,enjoy it.If your park is run down,write a petition with request to fix it up and send it to the mayor. Don't ever let anyone keep you down! Walk down town and through the shops downtown, the art gallery, city hall, the Gazebo, the post office and many other establishments. The city hall cafe is great dining and affordable pricing; try the strawberry,whip cream banana pancakes! Slamming good!

kevin from fitchburg

Concord, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#15
Dec 14, 2009
 
Jay wrote:
Also see the collection of historical postcards at the Boulder Gallery located (wait for it) near the Boulder. All the postcards can be reproduced in various sizes for very reasonable prices.
Jay, I will check out the post cards tomorrow. I have an idea. I was thinking about running it by the college arts program and the mayors office. Everyone needs to brainstorm ideas! I'd like to have pictures blown up in black and white and have them displayed artfully along Main street. Just an idea; I thought the CVS in leominster was cool,check it out, it is by friendlys.
JN Fitchburg

Cambridge, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#16
Dec 14, 2009
 
Kevin, you're right. I grew up in Fitchburg and my family members worked in the factories and at Burbank Hospital. I moved away and came back. Fitchburg was a different place then. Lots of jobs and money. But everything didn't fall apart. Our history is still here. Cultural events/shops are here and are multiplying. FSC is HUGE compared to what it was. Of course we need more jobs today and a better educated population. The crime rate is too high. And, to be honest, I don't enjoy the lack of "Americaniztion" from some of the people who live here. But this isn't Lawrence or Lowell. I taught for years. Now, I volunteer. We all need to get out there and do our part. A city's as good as the people in it. If people are going to sit back and not take part in making the place what they want, then they are part of the problem they're complaining about.
pos

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#17
Dec 14, 2009
 
i couldn't even read that whole article,, as a fitchburg resident since 1950, i had to laugh so hard i couldn't keep reading,,, Fitchburg has become the ghost towns of the Old West. Streets look more like cattle paths, and the saloon owner, (wong) and cohorts are the only well dressed in town. You gotta be kidding,, SLumburg will , always was, and always will be Slumburg. Wow,,, wake up and smell the coffee.
JN Fitchburg

Cambridge, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#18
Dec 14, 2009
 
Every summer there is a "Fitchburg: Remember When" event at the Fitchburg Senior Center. It's been extremely well received and the material out there is amazing. People LOVE looking at items from the "good old days." I think spreading around this information would be great. Those coming to live here from other places and the younger generations should know what went on here in the past. People built this city to be the "All American City." Knowing the past can, I think, give people ideas about how to adapt to changes in "life" and move on with a new vision. After all, past generations did it. It took vision to become so heavily involved in the Industrial Revolution. We need some visionaries now.
JN Fitchburg

Cambridge, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#19
Dec 14, 2009
 
pos wrote:
i couldn't even read that whole article,, as a fitchburg resident since 1950, i had to laugh so hard i couldn't keep reading,,, Fitchburg has become the ghost towns of the Old West. Streets look more like cattle paths, and the saloon owner,(wong) and cohorts are the only well dressed in town. You gotta be kidding,, SLumburg will , always was, and always will be Slumburg. Wow,,, wake up and smell the coffee.
How's this. I live in a horrible place. It's dirty and crime ridden. No good leadership. Coruption reigns. What am I doing about it? Nothing. Smelling the coffee. But I complain real good!!!
Rick

Dudley, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#20
Jan 5, 2010
 
truffles wrote:
Sayning it is so does not make it so. Fitchburg is merely a run down old mill town that has gotten worse each decade. Can't say as I know many people who would chose to live there if they had opportunities to live elsewhere. Quite the propaganda. It's ugly, depressed economically, and a cultural 0.
Given your locale, you obviously know a lot about the subject.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 20 of36
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••
•••