The Great Green Energy Crack-Up

Oct 22, 2011 Full story: Forbes.com 560

I am a senior fellow in climate studies at the Cato Institute and in research and economic development at George Mason University.

Full Story

“Happy, warm and comfortable”

Since: Oct 10

Mountain hideaway, SE Spain

#536 Jan 24, 2012
AMY__ wrote:
The wanna be "English(grammar)" teacher strikes again......
Come March, I'll have been retired for 24 years, so I can't be called a 'wanna be' anything.
Five possible meanings for AMY, I favour #2:
Arizona Museum for Youth (Mesa, AZ)
Anger Management for Youth
Ampere Modulated Yielding
Anti-Microbial Yarn (Unifi, Inc.)
Asian Monsoon Year

“I Luv Carbon Dioxide”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

#537 Jan 29, 2012
And the beat goes on:

Drip, Drip, Drip: Yet Another Green Energy Stimulus Recipient Hits the Skids (the third this week!)
by WILLIAM YEATMAN on JANUARY 27, 2012
in BLOG

Earlier this week, Stimulus beneficiary Evergreen Energy bit the dust. Then, Ener1, a manufacturer of batteries for electric vehicles and recipient of Stimulus largesse, filed for bankruptcy. And today, the Las Vegas Sun reports that Amonix, Inc., a manufacturer of solar panels that received $5.9 million from the Porkulus, will cut two-thirds of its workforce, about 200 employees, only seven months after opening a factory in Nevada.
http://www.globalwarming.org/2012/01/27/drip-...

#538 Jan 29, 2012
Hmmm, so much for the alarmist idea that it'll be cheaper to fight Glowbull warming than adapt to it.
How many green bottles left hanging on the wall of government taxpayer handouts?

“I Luv Carbon Dioxide”

Location hidden

#539 Jan 29, 2012
More Green Energy Crack from Europe:

Inflated Incentive
Environment Minister Retreats on Solar Subsidies

German Environment Minister Norbert Röttgen has said he wants to cut subsidies on installing solar panels sooner than planned as the number of people taking advantage of the incentives continues to soar. As do costs to electricity customers.

Germany is set to cut incentives for installing solar panels faster than originally planned amid strong criticism of the current subsidy scheme. Environment Minister Norbert Röttgen has said he wants to bring forward the reductions by three months to April 1, with increasing numbers of Germans taking to solar energy.

Solar farm operators and homeowners with solar panels received more than €8 billion ($10.2 billion) in subsidies in 2011, but contributed only 3 percent of Germany's total energy supply. The incentives, which are written into the country's renewable energy law known as EEG, are being newly scrutinized as Germany phases out its nuclear program and ramps up its production of renewable energy.
Röttgen, a member of Chancellor Angela Merkel's Christian Democrats (CDU), told journalists after meeting CDU members of parliament: "My goal is to change the law effective April 1. It's important that we act quickly."

But Environment Minister Röttgen refused to bow to demands from the CDU's junior partner in the ruling coalition, the Free Democrats (FDP), to cap the output of new photovoltaic installations at 1 gigawatt per year. Instead, he said he wants to leave the current figures -- between 2.5 and 3.5 gigawatts per year -- unchanged. In reference to a sector which has seen 100,000 jobs created in the last decade, he added: "A concrete cap would choke off the industry."...

http://www.spiegel.de/international/germany/0...
NobodyYouKnow

Toronto, Canada

#540 Jan 29, 2012
Business is certainly a tough job and there are winners and losers no matter how you sort them.

But business leaders are finding more and more reasons to be aware of their pollution impact and to be responsible in their business plans.

Witness..
http://www.nextworldtv.com/page/1012.html

#541 Jan 29, 2012
LessFactMoreHype, alias:
NobodyYouEverWantToKnow wrote:
Business is certainly a tough job
How would you know, Mr Undoubtably Spelt Fourty?
NoFactAllHype wrote:
and there are winners and losers no matter how you sort them.
Tell us what it's like to be a loser?
NobodyYouKnow

Toronto, Canada

#542 Jan 29, 2012
Brian_G wrote:
German Environment Minister Norbert Röttgen has said he wants to cut subsidies on installing solar panels sooner than planned as the number of people taking advantage of the incentives continues to soar.
Not surprising as the initial assumptions of the NEED for subsidies was somewhat conservative. More recent studies on the actual decline in solar cell pricing in the US has shown that the 'installed cost' has stayed pretty even as a rapid decline in subsidies has been offset by a rapid decline in solar cell pricing. It is not surprising that the generous subsidies in Europe are declining at a faster rate since they started at a higher level in order to increase demand.

In fact, the 'problem' here is that the solution worked!! People are installing home solar power at a much faster rate than anticipated which just means that the program worked and subsidies are no longer necessary to 'give momentum' to the move to green energy!
Brian_G wrote:
As do costs to electricity customers.
Well, fossil fuels make up the vast majority of the electricity generation. http://www.technologyreview.com/blog/editors/...
Of course the 'we have you over a barrel' greed of the oil and coal companies is going to cause a boom in costs.
NobodyYouKnow

Toronto, Canada

#543 Jan 29, 2012
By the way, I find that the idea of having subsidies which are created to 'assist' a job creator or industry through a temporary market adjustment should alway have an 'automatic decay' so that they do not become entrenched in the industry and part of the 'market economics'.

This was clearly shown to be a problem in Canada during the era of 'Crown Corporations' but is still to be learned by the US with there 'permanent crutches' for the fossil fuel industry of about $10+B a year in subsidies of all forms. To an industry that is making record profits with record prices to consumers!

http://priceofoil.org/fossil-fuel-subsidies/

"Whatever the number, it seems ludicrous that any of our tax dollars would support such established and profitable industries. These energy subsidies are completely out of step with a nation that now broadly accepts the need to end our collective “oil addiction.”"

#544 Jan 29, 2012
I'm sure we all enjoy LessFact/NobodyYouEver's posts, mainly for their amusement content.
LessFactMoreHype, alias:
NobodyYouEverWantToKnow wrote:
That CO2 cannot be a 'pollutant'? Wrong. Anything CAN and IS a pollutant in a specific context. In this case, as a greenhouse gas causing 'thermal pollution' of the planet.
-
The point is really that the whole claim of 'CO2 is vital to life' and 'CO2 is plant food' promoted by Earthling is not so much that it is technically wrong, but that it is IRRELEVANT to the issue of CO2 as a 'thermal pollutant'. Agreed?
http://www.topix.com/forum/news/global-warmin...
Not forgetting:
Forty is spelt with a U.
Epistemologists compile dictionaries.
Samuel Johnson was an American.
Ice calving is restricted by size.
"The equator doesn't have season."
Cars can be charged with road collisions.
Enercon install offshore wind generators.
Vikings didn't know how to live in a warmer Greenland.
"Deforestations is a consequence of AGW."
Alberta is a country.
"Insects and plants" don't qualify as species.
"Scientific laws" aren't science.
Predictions are just for astrologers.
Ethanol is a very workable and effective solution.
America has two political parties.
Climate and weather are not linked.
'Nondenier' is a real word.
'Fruiting plants' are especially chosen by bees for, "polination."
We acted on CFCs in the 70s.
CO2 is a thermal pollutant.
Outlaw Dave

Saint Louis, MO

#545 May 1, 2012
Seems that some one on here gives you the spam X when you disagree with the liberal GW point of view. Typical
Outlaw Dave

Saint Louis, MO

#546 May 1, 2012
tina anne wrote:
<quoted text>
And what makes you think that a carbon surcharge is any less "unmanipuable" than carbon trading? I could think of one way off the top of my head. Just by moving the largest part of the prodcution to places where they either do not have the surcharge or are willing to look the other way for the right bribe. For example power production could just be moved for many states to Mexico. After all electricty can be moved across boarders just as it can be moved from state to state.
Man, my hats off to you, you got these guys nailed on here. I agree whole heartedly with 100% what you say here, just nailed it & the green idiotbutts, there're so peeeed, I love it. Keep up the great pros.
GW hoax is almost dead, keep driving the steak though it, oh & don't for get to buy guns & ammo & don't forget to vote & throw these sick pigs out of office this year.
Rosco Brown

United States

#547 May 2, 2012
Just shows you are as dumb as she is....

“dening those who deny nature. ”

Since: Jun 07

Norfolk va

#548 May 2, 2012
Rosco Brown wrote:
Just shows you are as dumb as she is....
And why is that. Because you want to believe that no one could game the system even if people are gaming it in other ways right now. Like how Apple gamed the system to save a huge chunk of money on taxes.

The simple fact is that the more you try to turn the economic screws to make your social aganda happen the more companies will game the system and the cheaper it becomes to bribe someone to look the other way.
Kalis

United States

#549 May 2, 2012
tina anne wrote:
<quoted text>
And why is that. Because you want to believe that no one could game the system even if people are gaming it in other ways right now. Like how Apple gamed the system to save a huge chunk of money on taxes.
The simple fact is that the more you try to turn the economic screws to make your social aganda happen the more companies will game the system and the cheaper it becomes to bribe someone to look the other way.
Like the way the GOP is doing ???

“I Luv Carbon Dioxide”

Location hidden

#550 May 2, 2012
Kalis wrote:
Like the way the GOP is doing ???
If they are doing it, they are only getting table scraps from the Obama Administration and the Democrat majority Senate. Those laws are published, everybody can read about the tax breaks; Apple, the Democratic Party and the Republicans.

The Congress writes these laws, the President signs them and they are law; everybody is responsible not to break law. Don't be confused because more Republicans can read.

Norfolk va

#551 May 2, 2012
Kalis wrote:
<quoted text>Like the way the GOP is doing ???
What makes you think the democrats are not doing the same thing. The enviromental movement is just as guilty as well. Is the GOP doing it, yes. Then again everyone involved is just as guilty if not more so.

“I Luv Carbon Dioxide”

Location hidden

#552 May 2, 2012
Green is a political party, not an energy source. There is no green energy, every generator has byproducts.

Get over yourself. Fossil fuel works, its available for export and you Karl just doesn't like economic prosperity.

Enough of the doomed Marxist economics; let's try Conservatism again.
Rosco

United States

#553 May 5, 2012
Brian_G wrote:
Green is a political party, not an energy source. There is no green energy, every generator has byproducts.
Get over yourself. Fossil fuel works, its available for export and you Karl just doesn't like economic prosperity.
It works as long as people can afford it and still can breath the polluted air.
Rosco

United States

#554 May 5, 2012
Brian_G wrote:
Yep.....take us back to the 17th century...all was great then.

Norfolk va

#555 May 6, 2012
Rosco wrote:
<quoted text>Yep.....take us back to the 17th century...all was great then.
Why, they also tried this experiment in the 17th century as well. Look up Jamestown. A bunch of English liberals decided to make it work in the New World. They had a bunch of experts but left behind those who did the real work. Each accord to thier needs, each according to thier abilities. Of course no had the experience in using a plow, building anything, or making anything. All they knew how to do was tell others to do it.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Global Warming Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
What role do you think humans play in global wa... 10 min LonePalm 1,502
5 Reasons why global warming also known as clim... 27 min IBdaMann 35
Hottest September On Record 42 min IBdaMann 4
Expert: We must act fast on warming (Sep '08) 57 min SpaceBlues 27,320
Global warming 'undeniable,' scientists say (Jul '10) 1 hr The Sage of Main ... 32,978
Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 3 hr grave digger 47,486
Let's have a balanced plan for producing the el... 3 hr Earthling-1 21

Global Warming People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE