Gay marriage could be on CO ballots

Jul 14, 2011 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Vail Daily News

A constitutional amendment to repeal Colorado's gay marriage ban and replace it with language saying marriage is allowed regardless of sex could be headed to the 2012 ballot.

Comments
161 - 180 of 618 Comments Last updated Sep 11, 2012

Since: May 12

Bellevue, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 9, 2012

Judged:

happy 45th birthday to me

“Together for 24, legal for 5”

Since: Sep 07

Littleton, NH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 9, 2012

Judged:

Atlas12a wrote:
<quoted text>
I think ur taking my statement a little too literal it was meant to be kinda joking like they are clearly different because strait relationships have a man and a woman gay is man and man or woman and woman lol don't take one statement out of my post and make me seem like a anti gay prick plz
My question stands. When it comes down to the commitment between two people, holding the family together, and moving forward as a team, how is a same-sex relationship different from an opposite-sex relationship?

I'm not trying to bash you in any way. But I think one or both of us could learn by your answering the question.

Littleton, NH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 9, 2012

Judged:

Lililth_Satans_Wh_ore wrote:
Happy birthday, Lililth!

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 13, 2012

Judged:

Josh in New Orleans wrote:
<quoted text>
I advocate for myself and others. I advocate against backward determinations that couples like my husband and I are *NOT* married, nor deserving of the same rights as married couples. There are no laws against owning a house together, or a business, or cars... there are however financial consequences and expensive attorney fees to pay in absence of public policy that fairly allows us to handle our assets.
But what you seem to be advocating for is the “right” to be recognized as then same when it is very different.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 13, 2012

Judged:

<quoted text>
We were speaking on a level concerning emotions and commitment. In other words, "gender aside", yes on that level dating a gay guy can be just as much like dating a girl.... and there are men I have known whose disposition toward children is more aptly described as maternal.
Gay guys are NOTHING like girls… sorry.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 13, 2012

Judged:

<quoted text>
When 100% of the assets you share with your wife are taxable upon sale or inheritance as though you were gifted those assets by a legal stranger, then gay couples are no longer discriminated against. Otherwise, upon selling a house owned together or when inheriting or dividing each others assets, the gay couple next door gets a tax bill in the tens to hundreds of thousands of dollars (depending on income) and the straight married couple next door gets to breeze through the entire process without so much as a penny paid to government except for what anyone else would generally have to pay otherwise.
You're just being purposefully blind to the discrimination. One of the cases on DOMA that is about to go to SCOTUS involves an 80-something year old woman who married in New York. She lost her wife recently and was then hit with a monumental tax bill in excess of $250,000 because she inherited all the assets. The government does not do such a thing to widows when they loose a husband... only when the couple happens to be gay. That is discrimination, and you're not going to convince anyone here possessing half a brain that is it is not.
Sigh… Would you like hospitals to hire construction workers for their staff of surgeons? That’s discrimination as well!

“Live and let live”

Since: Apr 08

New Orleans

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 13, 2012

Judged:

Respect71 wrote:
<quoted text>
Sigh… Would you like hospitals to hire construction workers for their staff of surgeons? That’s discrimination as well!
If they are qualified as surgeons, then yes.

“Live and let live”

New Orleans

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 13, 2012

Judged:

Respect71 wrote:
<quoted text>
Gay guys are NOTHING like girls… sorry.
Beg to differ... some really are...

“Live and let live”

New Orleans

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 13, 2012

Judged:

Respect71 wrote:
<quoted text>
But what you seem to be advocating for is the “right” to be recognized as then same when it is very different.
I am advocating for my equal rights. I recognize I am different, but I wish not to be treated differently and as less just because. If you were in my shoes, would not tolerate anything less than equal rights, dignity, and respect.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 13, 2012

Judged:

<quoted text>
If they are qualified as surgeons, then yes.
Construction workers are Surgeons? Are you unclear about what I’m asking you?

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 13, 2012

<quoted text>
Beg to differ... some really are...
No really they are not… Do they know what it’s like to have a period, PMS, or sore breasts, cramps in the uterus? Do they misunderstand you as a man and what or how you think is so very different from them?
You can “Beg to differ” all you want but so NOT girls!

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 13, 2012

Judged:

<quoted text>
I am advocating for my equal rights. I recognize I am different, but I wish not to be treated differently and as less just because. If you were in my shoes, would not tolerate anything less than equal rights, dignity, and respect.
If the relationships were equal then it would be an equal rights issue. The isn’t any dignity it trying to because something you’re not.

Littleton, NH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 13, 2012

Respect71 wrote:
<quoted text>
We keep asking you to explain how our relationships are different. Your repeated assertions that they are different provides no useful insight. The fact is, our relationships are as varied as same-sex relationships. And our relationships are completely within the norm of that variation.

Littleton, NH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 13, 2012

Judged:

Respect71 wrote:
<quoted text>
If the relationships were equal then it would be an equal rights issue. The isn’t any dignity it trying to because something you’re not.
Who's trying to be something we aren't? Oh yeah. All the homophobes trying to pretend they're totally straight.

“Live and let live”

New Orleans

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 13, 2012

Judged:

Respect71 wrote:
<quoted text>
Construction workers are Surgeons? Are you unclear about what I’m asking you?
Ironically, I have a friend who was as surgeon and she became a constuction worker because she could not handle all the death and suffering. However, she still qualifies as a sergeon, but likes to work with her hands in another way instead.

“Live and let live”

New Orleans

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 13, 2012

Judged:

Respect71 wrote:
<quoted text>
No really they are not… Do they know what it’s like to have a period, PMS, or sore breasts, cramps in the uterus? Do they misunderstand you as a man and what or how you think is so very different from them?
You can “Beg to differ” all you want but so NOT girls!
Don't be a twit, I meant in concerns to personality.

“Live and let live”

New Orleans

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 13, 2012

Judged:

Respect71 wrote:
<quoted text>
It is the very determination that we are unequal that is the cause for this debate. Therefore, you prove my point. If we were being treated as equals, then there would be no debate about equal rights. However, we are being treated unequally, and so people like you try to justify the unequal treatment via "pretending" there is no unequal treatment.

“Live and let live”

New Orleans

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 13, 2012

Respect71 wrote:
Do they misunderstand you as a man and what or how you think is so very different from them?
On that one very specific point,*YES*.

Since: Aug 12

Tucson, AZ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 13, 2012

Judged:

Respect71 wrote:
<quoted text>No one is keeping gays from doing what you describe...
So, that being said, I ask why is it important for government to re-define marriage to fit the gay relationship?
I think its important because of the morals this country was founded on freedom and equality of all people I don't think it should be this big of an argument to change it it shoulda just been like "oh gay people wanna get married let's just re write this real quick ok cool" but I'm convinced the only reason I hasn't been changed is because of Christianity. Regardless of religious standing people should realize that their beliefs don't (or shouldn't at least) govern how other people live their lives

Since: Aug 12

Tucson, AZ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 13, 2012

Lililth_Satans_Wh_ore wrote:
HAPPY BIRTHDAY LILILTH!!!! hope it's a good one :D
P.s. Sorry so late haha

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••