Maryland Gay Marriage Could Hinge on Black Churches

Mar 1, 2012 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: The Skanner

With Maryland poised to legalize gay marriage, some conservative opponents and religious leaders are counting on members of their congregations, especially in black churches, to upend the legislation at the polls this fall.

Comments (Page 321)

Showing posts 6,401 - 6,420 of9,656
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:

“NOW will ya give me”

Since: Sep 12

some fightin' room ? !

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#6870
Sep 23, 2012
 

Judged:

2

DNF wrote:
<quoted text>I really wish you'd do some serious re-thinking about what you believe Dr. King stood for.
The way you frame it the only thing he was concerned about was a person's skin color. THAT is an insult to what he fought for. You said it yourself, "he said people should be judged by the content of their character". But you seem to feel there is an exception to that if they are gay or lesbian.
So basically you end up portraying Dr. King as a racist. Yes I know how offensive that sounds. It is offensive. My belief (and I grew up during the 60's) is that Dr. King was primarily concerned with ending the segregationist policies that kept blacks in 2nd class status. But I don't think that was his only goal. He didn't talk much about the elderly or the handicapped but I doubt he'd favor treating them the way you approve of treating people like me.
Maybe if you listen to his "I have a Dream" speech a few more times you'll get that he was talking about a nation that DOES judge people by their character and not whatever label might also be applied to them.
BTW the ACLU is a non profit. Making money isn't their primary goal. It's shocking to me every time I meet a young black woman like yourself who is so arrogant and far off base from what Dr. King envisioned. A nation that treated EVERYONE equally under the law.(And that would include people like me).
Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. was a GREAT American.

DNF

“A seat at the family table”

Since: Apr 07

Born in Newark, Ohio

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#6871
Sep 23, 2012
 
TucksunJack wrote:
<quoted text>
Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. was a GREAT American.
I agree. Too bad many blacks refuse to follow his example. And the Catholic Church sure isn't following in his footsteps either.

Since: Aug 07

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#6872
Sep 23, 2012
 

Judged:

11

10

10

Try not to hijack the African American struggle or Dr. Martin Luther King for your cause. Get your own leaders.
DNF wrote:
<quoted text>I really wish you'd do some serious re-thinking about what you believe Dr. King stood for.
The way you frame it the only thing he was concerned about was a person's skin color. THAT is an insult to what he fought for. You said it yourself, "he said people should be judged by the content of their character". But you seem to feel there is an exception to that if they are gay or lesbian.
So basically you end up portraying Dr. King as a racist. Yes I know how offensive that sounds. It is offensive. My belief (and I grew up during the 60's) is that Dr. King was primarily concerned with ending the segregationist policies that kept blacks in 2nd class status. But I don't think that was his only goal. He didn't talk much about the elderly or the handicapped but I doubt he'd favor treating them the way you approve of treating people like me.
Maybe if you listen to his "I have a Dream" speech a few more times you'll get that he was talking about a nation that DOES judge people by their character and not whatever label might also be applied to them.
BTW the ACLU is a non profit. Making money isn't their primary goal. It's shocking to me every time I meet a young black woman like yourself who is so arrogant and far off base from what Dr. King envisioned. A nation that treated EVERYONE equally under the law.(And that would include people like me).

“CAPS LOCK CAUSE CLIMATE CHANGE”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#6873
Sep 23, 2012
 

Judged:

3

2

2

Vote No on 6; keep marriage one man and one woman.

“CAPS LOCK CAUSE CLIMATE CHANGE”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#6874
Sep 23, 2012
 

Judged:

1

1

1

DaveinMass wrote:
Unless you never leave the Topix website or leave your basement, you should have heard of Warren Jeffs. He was only in the news (not a TV show)-- print, TV, internet -- you have no excuse knowing why he was arrested. I am sure that even FoxNews covered him. And if you aren't interested it what some idiot broadcasts, and apparently what some idiot chooses to publish -- both in print or to the internet -- how do you find out what is going on around you in real life? Do you just open your front door, stand on your front steps, look around to see what's happening, then return to the basement computer and Topix?
I ignore most crime reports, unless it's near my home. I'm not interested in child molesters, he was convicted on two counts of child sexual assaults; that happens hundreds of times every year.

I read Krakauer's, Under the Banner of Heaven, it didn't mention Jeffs.

“IT'S TIME TO ELIMINATE”

Since: Mar 11

PROP 8 AND DOMA!!!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#6875
Sep 23, 2012
 
Brian_G wrote:
Vote No on 6; keep marriage one man and one woman.
We look to gain at least Washington and Maine at the ballot box......and might even take Maryland as well:-)

DNF

“A seat at the family table”

Since: Apr 07

Born in Newark, Ohio

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#6876
Sep 23, 2012
 

Judged:

1

1

1

jenny623 wrote:
Try not to hijack the African American struggle or Dr. Martin Luther King for your cause. Get your own leaders.
<quoted text>
We have them. And just like Dr. King borrowed from Gandhi we borrow from both of them.

And I hope you stop being such an arrogant racist black woman.

I'm always amazed when someone speaks of Dr, King as their own personal possession because of the color of his skin.

It's obvious you missed most of his message.

DNF

“A seat at the family table”

Since: Apr 07

Born in Newark, Ohio

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#6877
Sep 23, 2012
 

Judged:

2

1

1

Why is it when folks like me want to discuss the sanctity of marriage folks like Brian want to talk about child molestors?

And why is it kids like jenny seem to think they own Dr. King; like an action figure or doll that no one else is allowed to touch?

Don't blame us gays for that. You people raised them not us.

“NOW will ya give me”

Since: Sep 12

some fightin' room ? !

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#6878
Sep 23, 2012
 

Judged:

3

1

1

jenny623 wrote:
Try not to hijack the African American struggle or Dr. Martin Luther King for your cause. Get your own leaders.
<quoted text>
You're certainly an idiot.

LOL

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#6879
Sep 23, 2012
 

Judged:

2

1

1

TucksunJack wrote:
<quoted text>
You're certainly an idiot.
LOL
No doubt.

Since: Apr 11

Los Angeles, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#6880
Sep 23, 2012
 

Judged:

1

1

1

jenny623 wrote:
The ACLU makes money from creating victims. That link doesn't prove that employers ask people if they are gay, or fires them because of being gay. I don't consider the "gay" struggle the same as what African Americans went through. I find it an insult to Dr. Martin Luther King and all that he fought for. When he said people should be judged by the content of their character and not the color of their skin, sexual orientation was not the idea.
<quoted text>
I'm a black chick. I grew up under Jim Crow. I disagree with you. The fight is the same, the fight for equal rights, the fight against abuse. In fact, when my dad was teaching me about bigotry in the police department, he told me about how the police targeted gay men.

Since: Apr 11

Los Angeles, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#6881
Sep 23, 2012
 

Judged:

1

1

1

Brian_G wrote:
Vote No on 6; keep marriage one man and one woman.
The only people who get rid of marriage between men and women are the straight couples who divorce.

“NOW will ya give me”

Since: Sep 12

some fightin' room ? !

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#6882
Sep 23, 2012
 

Judged:

1

1

1

Rose_NoHo wrote:
<quoted text>
The only people who get rid of marriage between men and women are the straight couples who divorce.
I agree. IF marriage is such a "scared institution" as some people contend, then WHY has EVERY STATE IN THE U.S. AND D.C. enacted "no-fault divorce" laws which enable a marriage to be dissolved at any time, be either party, without any reason whatsoever ?

And why does nobody object hwne you read about these celebrities who marry and divorce 5 times or more, and sometimes their marriages last as little as a month or less ? Why no objections to disolving the "sacred institution of marriage" in those cases ?

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#6883
Sep 23, 2012
 

Judged:

2

2

1

Rose_NoHo wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm a black chick. I grew up under Jim Crow. I disagree with you. The fight is the same, the fight for equal rights, the fight against abuse. In fact, when my dad was teaching me about bigotry in the police department, he told me about how the police targeted gay men.
Exactly. I have heard and seen driving while black or Chicano. The gay bar raids were just the same thing. Racism and oppression is always fueled by bigotry of one kind or another.

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#6884
Sep 23, 2012
 

Judged:

2

2

2

TucksunJack wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree. IF marriage is such a "scared institution" as some people contend, then WHY has EVERY STATE IN THE U.S. AND D.C. enacted "no-fault divorce" laws which enable a marriage to be dissolved at any time, be either party, without any reason whatsoever ?
And why does nobody object hwne you read about these celebrities who marry and divorce 5 times or more, and sometimes their marriages last as little as a month or less ? Why no objections to disolving the "sacred institution of marriage" in those cases ?
Marriage is much greater than any sacred institution. It is a beautiful thing to see a loving and committed couple live out their lives together. It seems few people are blessed with such a calling and relationship. Such a pity.

“NOW will ya give me”

Since: Sep 12

some fightin' room ? !

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#6885
Sep 23, 2012
 

Judged:

2

2

1

WasteWater wrote:
<quoted text>
Marriage is much greater than any sacred institution. It is a beautiful thing to see a loving and committed couple live out their lives together. It seems few people are blessed with such a calling and relationship. Such a pity.
I think it's partly generational. My paternal grandparents (both deceased) were married only once each, and their marriage lasted over 50 years. They had 3 sons and no daughters. My Uncle Jake, and my Uncle Willy, my paternal grandparents 2 oldest sons, are both still married to their only spouses, each over 50 years now. Each of my parents were married only once, and my father died the day before his 40th wedding anniversary.

Each of my sisters have been divorced at least once, and I don't know anyone in my generation, except one, that has not been divorced.

Furthermore, because all states and D.C. now have no-fault divorce laws (New York was the last state to enact such a law, and they only did so in 2010), anyone can get divorced for any reason at all, or no reason at all, simply by filing a document with a court. It's actually more difficult to get a driver's license, or register to vote, than it is to get a divorce.

And there is no longer and social pressure to remain married or even get married in the first place.

Marriage is a "sacred institution" only between the couple who desire to make it so.

DNF

“A seat at the family table”

Since: Apr 07

Born in Newark, Ohio

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#6886
Sep 23, 2012
 

Judged:

1

TucksunJack wrote:
<quoted text>
I think it's partly generational. My paternal grandparents (both deceased) were married only once each, and their marriage lasted over 50 years. They had 3 sons and no daughters. My Uncle Jake, and my Uncle Willy, my paternal grandparents 2 oldest sons, are both still married to their only spouses, each over 50 years now. Each of my parents were married only once, and my father died the day before his 40th wedding anniversary.
Each of my sisters have been divorced at least once, and I don't know anyone in my generation, except one, that has not been divorced.
Furthermore, because all states and D.C. now have no-fault divorce laws (New York was the last state to enact such a law, and they only did so in 2010), anyone can get divorced for any reason at all, or no reason at all, simply by filing a document with a court. It's actually more difficult to get a driver's license, or register to vote, than it is to get a divorce.
And there is no longer and social pressure to remain married or even get married in the first place.
Marriage is a "sacred institution" only between the couple who desire to make it so.
I'm saving your last sentence. It's a brilliant quote.
"Marriage is a "sacred institution" only between the couple who desire to make it so."

Big Red Heart.

“NOW will ya give me”

Since: Sep 12

some fightin' room ? !

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#6887
Sep 23, 2012
 

Judged:

1

DNF wrote:
<quoted text>I'm saving your last sentence. It's a brilliant quote.
"Marriage is a "sacred institution" only between the couple who desire to make it so."
Big Red Heart.
That last sentence I wrote is certainly not a "profound statement". It's a simple obvious truth just like saying "Gravity exists".

DNF

“A seat at the family table”

Since: Apr 07

Born in Newark, Ohio

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#6888
Sep 23, 2012
 
TucksunJack wrote:
<quoted text>
That last sentence I wrote is certainly not a "profound statement". It's a simple obvious truth just like saying "Gravity exists".
Well like I tell fundamentalists who try to argue evolution is just a theory. "Gravity is just a theory too. So why not jump off the Empire State Building and try to disprove it!"

“NOW will ya give me”

Since: Sep 12

some fightin' room ? !

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#6889
Sep 23, 2012
 

Judged:

2

1

DNF wrote:
<quoted text>Well like I tell fundamentalists who try to argue evolution is just a theory. "Gravity is just a theory too. So why not jump off the Empire State Building and try to disprove it!"
I'm a church-going Christian. I beleive in the Theory Of Evolution. I also believe that God shows Himself to us thru the math and physics of how the universie is constructed and operates, such as the Law Of Gravity, the First Law Of Thermodynamics (which precludes the possibility of time travel, btw), the Law Of Entropy, AND ALL OTHER PHYSICAL LAWS WHICH GOD CREATED.

God IS DEFINED AS "THE CREATOR OF ALL THINGS".

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 6,401 - 6,420 of9,656
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••
•••