Dividing the flock: Issue of whether to allow gay pastors proves divisive at many Lutheran churches

Jan 7, 2011 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: The Gaston Gazette

Whether to stay with the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America has been a heart-wrenching decision for many local Lutheran churches, driven by a variety issues including its stance on allowing homosexuals to be church leaders.

Comments (Page 37)

Showing posts 721 - 740 of784
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
heartandmind

Moline, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 3, 2012

isaiah4j wrote:
<quoted text>
Thank you my brother!
ah yes, you're back! again! even though you said you'd said enough. again, lieing. LOL.

you just can't stay away, despite your promise to do so....LOL.
Hawk

Cramerton, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 12, 2012

THE BAPTIST wrote:
Are you people the luteran baptist church,going to let the devil in the door.Do that and you will destroy your own church.If a homosexual becomes a christian,then he will be born again,his or her thinking will change,they will not be atracted to the same sex anymore. bless your church reject that nonsense,because thats what it is!comments welcome from those people who are in bondage to homosexuallity.
The bible does not condemn loving relationships between same sex people. The old testament verses quoted are about Sodom and Gomorrah and are taken out of context.

Unless you are a homosexual that was cured of your thinking you don't know what you're talking about. God made me just the way I am and I don't appreciate being characterized as the devil in the church's door. Perhaps you should read Matthew chapter 7 which talks about passing judgement on others.
THE BAPTIST

Gastonia, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 29, 2012

Hawk wrote:
<quoted text>
The bible does not condemn loving relationships between same sex people. The old testament verses quoted are about Sodom and Gomorrah and are taken out of context.
Unless you are a homosexual that was cured of your thinking you don't know what you're talking about. God made me just the way I am and I don't appreciate being characterized as the devil in the church's door. Perhaps you should read Matthew chapter 7 which talks about passing judgement on others.
I am merely quoting scripture about what god says about homosexuality.You have freedom of choice to practice homosexual acts.But god condemns it!Just why do people who are called sodomites,are referred as homosexuals?I do not judge you the bible does,just read it and see and understand what its says about mankind laying with mankind.I am just pointing out the errors of your ways,thats if you are a homosexual.
Mona Lott

Hoboken, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 30, 2012

Judged:

THE BAPTIST wrote:
<quoted text>I am merely quoting scripture about what god says about homosexuality.You have freedom of choice to practice homosexual acts.But god condemns it!Just why do people who are called sodomites,are referred as homosexuals?I do not judge you the bible does,just read it and see and understand what its says about mankind laying with mankind.I am just pointing out the errors of your ways,thats if you are a homosexual.
Well aren't you special!

Fortunately, no one is required to live by your silly beliefs about the Buybull and god. You Buybull is FULL of bogus information and is not a reliable source of information on human sexuality. Humanity has learned a few things in the last 2,000 yrs. and one of them is to not trust people who say "it isn't me, it's the Buybull." Well, you aren't the Buybull, so I suggest you stfu.
commensense

Lincolnton, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 1, 2012

The churches that left the ELCA based on their bigotry or homophobia have started to learn fairly quickly that it was a mistake. They may not be ready to admit it yet but. They have no seminary among other major problems. I think you may see a few start coming back to their senses.
first name Jerry

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 1, 2012

Judged:

commensense wrote:
The churches that left the ELCA based on their bigotry or homophobia have started to learn fairly quickly that it was a mistake. They may not be ready to admit it yet but. They have no seminary among other major problems. I think you may see a few start coming back to their senses.
I don't think that the facts confirm your statement. The elca is down over 1,000,000 members since the merger. They lost 360,000 members last year. Those are the facts.
commensense

Lincolnton, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 1, 2012

Judged:

first name Jerry wrote:
<quoted text>I don't think that the facts confirm your statement. The elca is down over 1,000,000 members since the merger. They lost 360,000 members last year. Those are the facts.
Oh I don't doubt your numbers, that's why I said they may not be ready to admit it yet...

What I think happened in reality is you had a few really charismatic people who talked the congregations into leaving based on hate. A Lutheran church picks their pastor so no church would be forced to hire a pastor they didn't like.

My home church left and I can tell you I'm disappointed in them for making this decision. It's not a decision based on anything that I learned growing up in the church.
Rick

Morganton, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 13, 2012

No class, morals or decency, thats your rump humpers!!!
THE BAPTIST

Gastonia, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 31, 2012

BoringOldMe wrote:
<quoted text>
I have been in church all my life, and I have never seen one gay person get saved and not want to be gay any more. You need to get your facts straight. I have seen many who have chosen not to have gay sex, but none of them no longer wanted to have sex with same sex partners. Get your facts right. Maybe in your dream world that is how it should be, but reality is not your fantasy world. I hate to tell you that, but it's true. LaLa Land and the read world are two different entities, and they are nowhere near being the same.
The reason is the homosexual wants his lust and lifestyle more than he wants salvation.Its that simple
Greg

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 3, 2012

BoringOldMe wrote:
<quoted text>
Obviously you have never been around a gay person. I have known MANY who were born again, and not a single one lost their attraction to the same sex--not a single one! They may have chosen to not be sexually active, but none of them lost the desire. Your facts are way off base, and I think it's wrong to give people false hope.
I have known MANY liars in my time. Evidently your FACTS are giving false hope.
THE BAPTIST

Gastonia, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 3, 2012

Judged:

why do you people wonder in awe about the bad weather conditions we are having? And about the earth warming up? About all the rampant crime we are having? Th economic conditions that is in a down hill to the conditions in a third world country.Why would he bless a country that kills its unborn in the womb of a woman?Let homosexual marriage to become legal?we let the people in higher positions,that will do anything and say anything to get your vote.We are in a every countries business.We have troops in something like 128 countries,doing what?We try to shove our ways of thinking down their throats I know that we are supposed to preach the good news every where we can,but some countries are not going to accept the gospel.In the arab countries they execute homosexuals,cut the hands off thieves,sew their mouths shut for drinking,execute man or woman for adultry.To preach the gospel,if they do not accept that jesus was god and and the savior of the world,you are told to wipe the dirt off you feet,before leaving that house.We are becoming like rome,when it ruled the entire world.But the gospel of jesus christ brought the roman empire down.The romans.We need a revilval in this country more this country more than ever.Lets not have a country that is becoming more evil in the sight of god every day.Let us out smart the devil by turning our country towards GOD.Let us turn the the trickery of of homosexuals and abortion into their own down fall.You young people take your children to church everytime it opens its door.Let them hear what god said about homosexuals,abortion.Lets turn this country back to GOD,ITS IS IN HIS HANDS ANYWAYS GOD BLESS EVERYONE OF YOU!
THE BAPTIST

Gastonia, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 3, 2012

Greg wrote:
<quoted text>
I have known MANY liars in my time. Evidently your FACTS are giving false hope.
I not giving false!The bible says that if you are born again by baptism and accept jesus a your personal savior,you are rally born again and the old you does not exist anymore.You are a changed person.You may have some the same desires,but the holy spirit that resides in you will take those desires away from you.You will become a new creature in christ out lords and savior.The devil will work harder on you,but you having everlasting life,will drive those thoughts away. may god show you the way bless you
Buncy

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 10, 2012

Ya know, sometimes when i'm feelin' sad, i slip into some women's lingerie and tickle myself in the cornhole with some broccoli stalk. If i'm feeling particularly special, i'll even wear some lipstick! Rainy days can make a man depressed once in a while. Am i just weird, or does anyone else feel like this?
letthetruthcome4 th

Summerville, SC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 12, 2012

Buncy wrote:
Ya know, sometimes when i'm feelin' sad, i slip into some women's lingerie and tickle myself in the cornhole with some broccoli stalk. If i'm feeling particularly special, i'll even wear some lipstick! Rainy days can make a man depressed once in a while. Am i just weird, or does anyone else feel like this?
Yes your more than weird, your are an abomination to God. You will Burn!!!
letthetruthcome4 th

Summerville, SC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 12, 2012

Hawk wrote:
<quoted text>
Homosexuality is a mistake, God don't make mistakes. So he didn't make you the way you are. YOU MADE THE CHOICE TO BE A SISSY!!!!!
THE BAPTIST

Gastonia, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 13, 2012

letthetruthcome4th wrote:
<quoted text>
Homosexuality is a mistake, God don't make mistakes. So he didn't make you the way you are. YOU MADE THE CHOICE TO BE A SISSY!!!!!
God did not make the mistake.You did by choosing the homosexually.Which is a sin,no matter how you want to read something in the bible and twist and denies what what god says about your lifestyle.I am not going to say that you will burn in hell for your lifestyle,you may come to god for forgiveness for it.You have the same opportunity as all sinners do,REPENT,FROM THAT LIFE STYLE AND YOU WILL GET TO BE IN HEAVEN,AS ALL SINNERS DO ,WHEN THEY REPENT FROM THEIR SINS.i WILL NOT JUDGE YOU,BUT THATS GODS JOB. BLESS YOU MY CHILD!

Since: Apr 10

Williston, ND

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 13, 2012

THE BAPTIST wrote:
<quoted text>God did not make the mistake.You did by choosing the homosexually.Which is a sin,no matter how you want to read something in the bible and twist and denies what what god says about your lifestyle.I am not going to say that you will burn in hell for your lifestyle,you may come to god for forgiveness for it.You have the same opportunity as all sinners do,REPENT,FROM THAT LIFE STYLE AND YOU WILL GET TO BE IN HEAVEN,AS ALL SINNERS DO ,WHEN THEY REPENT FROM THEIR SINS.i WILL NOT JUDGE YOU,BUT THATS GODS JOB. BLESS YOU MY CHILD!
Listening to what someone says some guy that lives in the sky says??? thats called schizophreina and can be helped eaisly at your local mental health center. Thinking your (anything) is better than everyone elses and that everyone else is wrong is called narssisism and once again can be helped at your local mental health center. By the way YOU and others like you are commiting the ONLY sin there is in MY religion. What makes yours better than mine? Last time I checked this country is NOT based on religion but allows ALL religions. Stop sinning and being contary to everything this country stands for
THE BAPTIST

Gastonia, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 18, 2012

JessicaDawn wrote:
<quoted text>
Listening to what someone says some guy that lives in the sky says??? thats called schizophreina and can be helped eaisly at your local mental health center. Thinking your (anything) is better than everyone elses and that everyone else is wrong is called narssisism and once again can be helped at your local mental health center. By the way YOU and others like you are commiting the ONLY sin there is in MY religion. What makes yours better than mine? Last time I checked this country is NOT based on religion but allows ALL religions. Stop sinning and being contary to everything this country stands for
I am not talking to an imaginary man in the sky.GOD,resides in my heart.Yours too,you just have not found him yet.I do not judge people,because of their sins.I will only have to pay for my own sins,and that is a lot too.I hope ,jessica,that you will find GOD too.You have the right in mans eyes to do what kind of sex you do.I cannot tell you not to do it.Ido not have that right under mans laws.But i must follow my beleifs,that homosexual acts are a sin.Nature itself tells you that.Just sit down for about an hour a day,and give that some real thought.I think the truth that is there,will set you free from any other beliefs,that you may have. LOVE YOU,JESS
The Wonderer

Gastonia, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 18, 2012

Judged:

I am a 62 year old grandmother who has been married to the same man for 36 years. Let me share something with you. According to scientists..the world is round. There is such a thing as global warming...homosexuality is inherent. Some people are born with great intellect....some people are born downright stupid and no matter what is said or written on a subject they continue to remain stupid...and worse still they blame their stupidity on the Bible.

Since: Apr 10

Lincoln, NE

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 18, 2012

THE BAPTIST wrote:
<quoted text>I am not talking to an imaginary man in the sky.GOD,resides in my heart.Yours too,you just have not found him yet.I do not judge people,because of their sins.I will only have to pay for my own sins,and that is a lot too.I hope ,jessica,that you will find GOD too.You have the right in mans eyes to do what kind of sex you do.I cannot tell you not to do it.Ido not have that right under mans laws.But i must follow my beleifs,that homosexual acts are a sin.Nature itself tells you that.Just sit down for about an hour a day,and give that some real thought.I think the truth that is there,will set you free from any other beliefs,that you may have. LOVE YOU,JESS
Where in nature does it say homosexuality is a sin? Sin is a religious thing and ONLY HUMANS have religion and only a FEW religions say homosexual activity is a sin (it never actualy says that in ANY version of the bible you can find today, if you study and actualy know the history of the bible and translations of the bible) Animals cannot therefore sin. By the way many species on earth exhibit homosexual activities ie mating with the same sex. http://www.yalescientific.org/2012/03/do-anim...

and a quote from the article "Currently, homosexual behavior has been documented in over 450 different animal species worldwide. For instance, observations indicate that Humboldt, King, Gentoo, and Adélie penguins of the same sex engage in “mating rituals like entwining their necks and vocalizing to one another.” In addition, male giraffes have also been observed engaging in homosexual behavior by rubbing their necks against each others’ bodies while ignoring the females. Yet another example is lizards of the genus Teiidae, which can copulate with both male and female mates."

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 721 - 740 of784
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••