Why do Americans still dislike atheists?

Apr 30, 2011 | Posted by: Hedonist | Full story: www.washingtonpost.com

Long after blacks and Jews have made great strides, and even as homosexuals gain respect, acceptance and new rights, there is still a group that lots of Americans just don't like much: atheists.

Comments
37,621 - 37,640 of 38,673 Comments Last updated Oct 15, 2012
Naturally Wired

Saint John, Canada

#38832 Jun 24, 2012
Givemeliberty wrote:
That can't be true cause the bible say the earth is only about 6000 years old! And I doubt Noah put that on the ark!
Satan must have made the coelacanth to fool all the god fearing people!! Lmfao
<quoted text>
What scriptures from the Bible say the earth is only 6000 yrs old?

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#38833 Jun 24, 2012
Naturally Wired wrote:
<quoted text>
None do.

But.

If you make some assumptions?

Such as only 20 years per generation (a relatively safe assumption).

And that the various conflicting "this begat that" lists of people in the bible are valid?(none of which agree with the other lists)

And if you take said lists, and combine them all?

And then crunch the numbers?

You get roughly 6000 years (more or less).

Lots of assumptions, though.....

... not the least is the list of "begats" does not include ages of who begat whom, and when ...

But missing facts never stopped those True Believers™ from making up sh7t as they pleased.

Since: Mar 11

Louisville, KY

#38834 Jun 24, 2012
After the talking snake and before the unicorns.

You're welcome

ROTFLMFAO
Naturally Wired wrote:
<quoted text>
Naturally Wired

Moncton, Canada

#38835 Jun 24, 2012
Givemeliberty wrote:
After the talking snake and before the unicorns.
You're welcome
ROTFLMFAO
<quoted text>
You said the Bible says the earth is only 6000 yrs old.

I'm just wondering where it says that in the Bible. Why can't you tell me where? Or can anyone tell me?
Naturally Wired

Moncton, Canada

#38836 Jun 24, 2012
I've been waiting. Guess some people must be frantically looking for the Bible verses that says the earth is 6000 yrs old.....lol

Since: Feb 10

Ripley, TN

#38837 Jun 24, 2012
barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>
The key to a twelve step program is getting through all 12 steps, not just repeating the first three steps over and over four times.
Put down the bottom and get a job, mooch.
Knot head muslim ,I guess you are still confused after fathers day... All you ghetto rat muslims are , not knowing who your fathers are?...must be real confusing times for you? it truly must suck being you..Maury Povich might could help you out with the DNA tests... lmfao......

Since: Jun 07

Location hidden

#38838 Jun 24, 2012
Naturally Wired wrote:
I've been waiting. Guess some people must be frantically looking for the Bible verses that says the earth is 6000 yrs old.....lol
Don't bother - its the interpretation of mentally ill people.

You can just pick a number and work your way backwards because it's all made up bullsh*t interpreted by equally stupid people who believe that bushes can talk and that people can walk on water.

Just pick a number and start your own sect of creationism, this intellectually ignorant behavior hasn't stopped americans from joining the cult of creationism
IRYW

Malvern, PA

#38839 Jun 24, 2012
barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>
They are exactly the same statement, dumphuque.
Really? Let's take a look.
Givemeliberty wrote:
So you admit God can't be proven therefore isn't a fact. >
barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>
So you admit God can't be disproved so therefore his existence a fact.
Well, even you with your obsession over minutiae can see that the statements are different simply with the specific words employed.

But what anyone here who can fog a mirror sees is that GiveMeLiberty's statement is the defacto position on claims with no evidence. There is no evidence for any deities so any claim that they are facts is meaningless.

The same people can see your juvenile play on words has two problems. Virtually everyone agrees one cannot disprove a negative so there is no point in crowing about it as if you stumbled on a new discovery and, more importantly, the entire point of the first statement nullifies your idiotic claim in the second part of yours; the implication that if there is no ability to disprove something then it must be a fact.

YOu and your tiny cadre of clowns are the laughingstock of these threads.

Louisville, KY

#38840 Jun 24, 2012
Bob already laid it out for you. I perhaps should have said 6000 to 10000 years as some fruitcakes give the earth a bonus 4000 years lol

Feel free to look up why theists believe the earth is only 6000 to 10000 years old using the bible. I don't waste much time on boring old middle east myths though.
Naturally Wired wrote:
<quoted text>
You said the Bible says the earth is only 6000 yrs old.
I'm just wondering where it says that in the Bible. Why can't you tell me where? Or can anyone tell me?

Since: Feb 11

Location hidden

#38841 Jun 24, 2012
Givemeliberty wrote:
It's the job of the theist to prove their claim.
NO, it isn't.

Location hidden

#38842 Jun 24, 2012
Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
So you freely admit the god you believe in, is not real?
So you freely admit the bruise you got on your forehead comes from your boyfriend's belt buckle?

Location hidden

#38843 Jun 24, 2012
Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
But missing facts never stopped those True Believers™ from making up sh7t as they pleased.
You mean like the people who say the bible says the earth is 6000 years old and then when they are asked which one they can't find one.

Location hidden

#38845 Jun 24, 2012
IRYW wrote:
<quoted text>
Really? Let's take a look.
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
Well, even you with your obsession over minutiae can see that the statements are different simply with the specific words employed.
They are the same statement.

Location hidden

#38846 Jun 24, 2012
IRYW wrote:
Virtually everyone agrees one cannot disprove a negative
Virtually everyone at one time agreed that the world was flat.

Because something cannot be proved does not make it false.

Location hidden

#38847 Jun 24, 2012
IRYW wrote:
YOu and your tiny cadre of clowns are the laughingstock of these threads.
Right.

You and your tiny cadre of clowns are insisting rocks are atheists, and that people can drown when drinking A glass of water.

I am not bothered by the braying of jackasses.
IRYW

Malvern, PA

#38848 Jun 24, 2012
barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>
Virtually everyone at one time agreed that the world was flat.
Because something cannot be proved does not make it false.
A flat world was an empirical claim that was empirically falsified.

You lunatics shrieking that 'just because I can't prove my imaginary friend exists doesn't mean it isn't real" don't realize that you are saying the equivalent of "just because you can't prove the universe wasn't created last Monday morning by a magic kumquat doesn't mean it isn't true". I mean, seriously, if you don't know how bat-s**t crazy you sound you have a serious problem.
Naturally Wired

Moncton, Canada

#38849 Jun 24, 2012
Givemeliberty wrote:
Bob already laid it out for you. I perhaps should have said 6000 to 10000 years as some fruitcakes give the earth a bonus 4000 years lol
Feel free to look up why theists believe the earth is only 6000 to 10000 years old using the bible. I don't waste much time on boring old middle east myths though.
<quoted text>
You don't know what I believe.

I simply asked you to show me the verses of the Bible that say the earth is 6000 yrs old. There are none and you couldn't show me, so therefore you have to admit you made it up.

Louisville, KY

#38850 Jun 24, 2012
If you are looking for a scripture that says, and the serpent said to Eve in the year 2012 the earth will be 6000 years old. You won't find it, although there's lots of incest going on. Theologian experts take the age of scrolls and all the begats and other events in the book and surmise 6000 to 10000 years. Now in other works of fiction Darth Vader never said. Luke I am your father. He said.. No I am your father.

Glad to be of help.
Naturally Wired wrote:
<quoted text>
You don't know what I believe.
I simply asked you to show me the verses of the Bible that say the earth is 6000 yrs old. There are none and you couldn't show me, so therefore you have to admit you made it up.

Louisville, KY

#38851 Jun 24, 2012
SoIn your opinion people can just make up anything without showing proof? Have I got a bride to sell you!
barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>
NO, it isn't.
wolverine

Greeley, CO

#38852 Jun 24, 2012
Givemeliberty wrote:
SoIn your opinion people can just make up anything without showing proof? Have I got a bride to sell you!
<quoted text>
4004 Years Before Christ.....2012 Since

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Gay/Lesbian Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Judge overturns California's ban on same-sex ma... (Aug '10) 16 min Brett Weir 200,606
Once more on fascism knocking on the Balkan doo... (Aug '09) 26 min Adi 1,119
We Need More Gay Sex on TV 55 min Eaddae 28
Gay marriage gaining momentum in WA Legislature (Jan '12) 1 hr diudiuwang 3
Senate committee approves same-sex marriage bill (Jan '12) 1 hr diudiuwang 2
Gay marriage (Mar '13) 1 hr DANDY DEACON 55,057
Biggest Gay Lies 2 hr Karla 1,737
Supreme Court: Was gay marriage settled in 1972... 2 hr Frankie Rizzo 600
Which QUEER is the BIGGEST PIECE OF SH!T? 3 hr Frank Rizzo 8
Gay Marriage and the Limits of Tradition 7 hr Belle Sexton 34
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••