Cuba once persecuted homosexuals, transsexuals, now quietly pays for sex-change operations

Mar 10, 2010 Full story: Philadelphia's WB 17 159

Looking in the mirror used to make Yiliam Gonzalez sick to her stomach. "I would see myself, and my body didn't match who I was," said the 28-year-old wedding pianist, who went by William before receiving a sex change under Cuba's universal health care system.

Full Story
First Prev
of 8
Next Last

“Brutally honest. ”

Since: Nov 08

Location hidden

#2 Mar 10, 2010
When the Cubans become more progressive than the United States, we know that USA is finally the worst country on the planet.
Joe

Riverdale, NJ

#4 Mar 10, 2010
whitefalcon1678 wrote:
When the Cubans become more progressive than the United States, we know that USA is finally the worst country on the planet.
To say that Cuba is more progressive because they pay for sex change operations is narrow minded at best. Consider all the atrocities that continue to happened there to people just because they spoke out. There is a reason more Cuban Nationals live in the United States then in Cuba. Ask one!
As far as your opinion that the USA is now the WORST. Please feel free to move out to a better one. But isn’t it great that you are privileged enough to be here. Or as my Grandmother would say "YOUR THE LUCKIEST KID IN THE WORLD TO HAVE BEEN BORE IN THE UNITED STATES. DON'T FORGET THAT"

“your life is great”

Since: Aug 09

you poop in clean water

#5 Mar 10, 2010
Joe wrote:
<quoted text>
To say that Cuba is more progressive because they pay for sex change operations is narrow minded at best. Consider all the atrocities that continue to happened there to people just because they spoke out. There is a reason more Cuban Nationals live in the United States then in Cuba. Ask one!
As far as your opinion that the USA is now the WORST. Please feel free to move out to a better one. But isn’t it great that you are privileged enough to be here. Or as my Grandmother would say "YOUR THE LUCKIEST KID IN THE WORLD TO HAVE BEEN BORE IN THE UNITED STATES. DON'T FORGET THAT"
(cuba is more progressive because of their universal health care, not because of what they pay for)
bill

Amen, France

#6 Mar 10, 2010
Leftwing, atheist governments have been among the most intolerant of a homosexual lifestyle choice. Stalin and Mao tried to exterminate homosexuals. China tried to clean up homosexual activity in Beijing to prepare for the Olympics.
Joe

Riverdale, NJ

#7 Mar 10, 2010
anneutral wrote:
<quoted text>
(cuba is more progressive because of their universal health care, not because of what they pay for)
This the same Universal Health Care that put People infected with AIDS into Hospital's to DIE rather then treat them?
Yippy for UHC

“HURT ME & MAKE ME STRONGER!”

Since: Nov 08

Where Freedom Dwells!

#8 Mar 10, 2010
anneutral wrote:
<quoted text>
(cuba is more progressive because of their universal health care, not because of what they pay for)
Hey, a-hole youy are right! All thbe Cubans get the same heaslthcare for free! Except tourist & government officials, they get elite privileged that is excellent!~

The Cuban people? They have free hospitals & healthcare & medicine.
Only one drawback. The hospitals are dirty,no sheets for beds, have no equipment, understaffed, and no medicines. Pharmacies are empty although meprobamate is easy to obtain. doctors are unavailable because castro sends them all overseas as payment for goods or communist propaganda.
In others words it's free, but there is nothing to give!
http://www.therealcuba.com/index.htm

http://www.therealcuba.com/index.htm

see page 10

http://www.therealcuba.com/Page10.htm

http://www.therealcuba.com/Page10.htm

Since you like that so much, move there--hope you like it!
lolol

Longueuil, Canada

#11 Mar 10, 2010
Liger impotent forgot to say that those image at therealcuba.com are OLD and from some places that don't exist anymore.

80% of the clinics in Cuba are VERY clean , fresh paint and not more than 15 people waiting to see a doctor. Much faster service than in Canada, as a matter of fact.

I wouldn't say the same about the "hidden hospitals" for the people with severe disabilities... these are not so nice.

Contrary to what Liger impotent is trying to say with his old propaganda, Pharmacies in Cuba are full of just about everything that you need, 8 years ago they were not but now they are.

All of this, I've seen with my own eyes... Liger is just trying to make it look worst than it really is with is old propaganda, he doesn't know anything anymore about Cuba since he can't go there and never saw anything in Cuba for the last 50 years. He's just living in his dark forest of nightmares.
----
BUT Anyway, I can't wait for Fidel to go in a 6 feet hole, for many reasons and I'm certain that Raul also can't wait anymore for that old half/senile to get off his back.
lolol

Longueuil, Canada

#12 Mar 10, 2010
the life expectancy in Cuba is very high. MANY people over 100 years old. If life and clinics were so bad, why would there be so many old people still smoking cigars... The first killer sickness in Cuba is Liver cirrhosis caused by that cheap Rum that they drink by the pint full, followed by Emphysema caused by that cheap black tobacco and heavy pollution in LaHavana. Those who don't drink and smoke like crazy, live up to 85 y.o easily in Cuba.

This is why , I think but not hope, that Fidel, Raul and their "helpers" will unfortunatly live up to 100 y.o :-(
lolol

Longueuil, Canada

#13 Mar 10, 2010
About gay people in Cuba, The tourist industry is making tons of money from the gay tourism... they are not in the position of doing any gay bashing..

Unlike the USA where the Senators and congressman yell loudly that they are against homosexuality and then one month after they are caught in the act of doing exactly,or even worst, what they SAY that they are so against . Hypocrisy.
eye2theside

Piscataway, NJ

#14 Mar 10, 2010
Anyone else seeing the other side of the argument here? Once a gay person ("formerly" the object of discrimination in Cuba) becomes the opposite gender, unless that trans person's sexual orientation then changes as well, then Cuba has one fewer gay person. A gay/trans man who becomes a woman who is still sexually attracted to men is then a straight person. Don't get me wrong, I'm happy for the trans folks who are able to match their souls to their bodies thanks to medical help from the government, but given the Cuban history on the entire gay issue, there's got to be something in it for them as well.
eye2theside

Piscataway, NJ

#15 Mar 10, 2010
Just adding: My own definition of GLBT isn't as narrow as what I wrote earlier. I'm just thinking that a homophobic regime might see it as a way to make a gay person straight.
Duped since birth

Alexandria, VA

#16 Mar 10, 2010
I almost hate to bring it up, but Michael Moore's "Sicko" featured Cuban health care in one segment. He took some U.S. heroes from 9/11 who were being ignored by the health care system and the government in this country down to Guantanamo to take advantage of the health care given to the prison inmates since it looked a far sight better than what was happening here at home.

They were refused entry, so went into Cuba proper. One lady got her prescription filled at a store front pharmacy for 5 cents - the same that cost her $120 at home.

This country sucks at so many things. Health care is one. Equality is another. We are certainly not the greatest.

“Brutally honest. ”

Since: Nov 08

Location hidden

#17 Mar 10, 2010
Joe wrote:
<quoted text>
To say that Cuba is more progressive because they pay for sex change operations is narrow minded at best. Consider all the atrocities that continue to happened there to people just because they spoke out. There is a reason more Cuban Nationals live in the United States then in Cuba. Ask one!
As far as your opinion that the USA is now the WORST. Please feel free to move out to a better one. But isn’t it great that you are privileged enough to be here. Or as my Grandmother would say "YOUR THE LUCKIEST KID IN THE WORLD TO HAVE BEEN BORE IN THE UNITED STATES. DON'T FORGET THAT"
Are the Cubans voting to take away anyone's rights? No.

Narrow-minded? I am a 2nd Class Citizen in the United States, with a capital C. If I had been born in Canada, I could be married by now. But NO, we have a government that can't see past their own opinions, a President with not enough power to do the right thing, and a court system willing to interject their religious beliefs over law. I live in a country where it's still okay to say gay slurs and not get reprimanded or beaten up for it. Homophobia, thy name is America.

You don't know discrimination until you are subjected to it. I am a triple minority. Believe me, I am not blind as to how I have been treated in my short life.

My grandmother used to say, "Sea feliz que su madre le trajera en este mundo." My other grandmother used to say, "Dank Gott für Ihre Segnungen und nimmt nicht sie für hat gewährt."

Get my point?

“Its all in the mind..or is it?”

Since: Dec 06

Location hidden

#18 Mar 10, 2010
LigerOmniPotentMaxx wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey, a-hole youy are right! All thbe Cubans get the same heaslthcare for free! Except tourist & government officials, they get elite privileged that is excellent!~
The Cuban people? They have free hospitals & healthcare & medicine.
Only one drawback. The hospitals are dirty,no sheets for beds, have no equipment, understaffed, and no medicines. Pharmacies are empty although meprobamate is easy to obtain. doctors are unavailable because castro sends them all overseas as payment for goods or communist propaganda.
In others words it's free, but there is nothing to give!
http://www.therealcuba.com/index.htm
http://www.therealcuba.com/index.htm
see page 10
http://www.therealcuba.com/Page10.htm
http://www.therealcuba.com/Page10.htm
Since you like that so much, move there--hope you like it!
I see that everywhere you go you make a lot of friends thanks to you being such a proud Christian.
flyboy

Richmond, VA

#19 Mar 10, 2010
bill wrote:
Leftwing, atheist governments have been among the most intolerant of a homosexual lifestyle choice. Stalin and Mao tried to exterminate homosexuals. China tried to clean up homosexual activity in Beijing to prepare for the Olympics.
The second you used the words "homosexual lifestyle choice", it is already known to educated people where you are coming from in terms of mentality, and how seriously to take you, which is not at all serious.
Cherokee lover

Hialeah, FL

#20 Mar 10, 2010
Cherokee wrote:
<quoted text>I see that everywhere you go you make a lot of friends thanks to you being such a proud Christian.
Por que no te embullas y vas a Cuba a hacer la operacion de cambio de sexo. Alla es muy barata y sales con un toto cubano. Es probable que pares de echarle a los cubanos pues te sentiras parte cubana. Anda mami!
flyboy

Richmond, VA

#21 Mar 10, 2010
Joe wrote:
<quoted text>
To say that Cuba is more progressive because they pay for sex change operations is narrow minded at best. Consider all the atrocities that continue to happened there to people just because they spoke out. There is a reason more Cuban Nationals live in the United States then in Cuba. Ask one!
As far as your opinion that the USA is now the WORST. Please feel free to move out to a better one. But isn’t it great that you are privileged enough to be here. Or as my Grandmother would say "YOUR THE LUCKIEST KID IN THE WORLD TO HAVE BEEN BORE IN THE UNITED STATES. DON'T FORGET THAT"
In terms of minority citizens, this country is not even CLOSE to the top, and never was. This country has always systematically discriminated against minorities, and still do. The premise of this country is a lie. This country is not the land of the free. Only in title, but not in practice.

In terms of health care, this country is one of the worst out of all developed countries. Same thing with education and finance. People in this country have been brainwashed into fanatical nationalism. But the reality paints a much darker picture.

Cuba supports people who have sex change operations, and has openly said they want to be more progressive when it comes to the gay issue. The US is still debating whether or not homosexuality should remain legal.

People can believe what they want to believe, because that's all it comes down to. They don't really know the story. You won't, unless you have been discriminated against. You're probably one of the lucky ones.
flyboy

Richmond, VA

#22 Mar 10, 2010
eye2theside wrote:
Anyone else seeing the other side of the argument here? Once a gay person ("formerly" the object of discrimination in Cuba) becomes the opposite gender, unless that trans person's sexual orientation then changes as well, then Cuba has one fewer gay person. A gay/trans man who becomes a woman who is still sexually attracted to men is then a straight person. Don't get me wrong, I'm happy for the trans folks who are able to match their souls to their bodies thanks to medical help from the government, but given the Cuban history on the entire gay issue, there's got to be something in it for them as well.
Very true statements.

“CUBA Y PUERTO RICO HERMANOS”

Since: Dec 06

San Juan,Puerto Rico

#23 Mar 10, 2010
Lla Cherokea esta alborotada.Cada ves que ve algun arti...culo relacionado con los gays se alborota!

“CUBA Y PUERTO RICO HERMANOS”

Since: Dec 06

San Juan,Puerto Rico

#24 Mar 10, 2010
Cherokee wrote:
<quoted text>I see that everywhere you go you make a lot of friends thanks to you being such a proud Christian.
Indio pato y muelero!Ese herpes anal tuyo te va a llevar a la tumba!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 8
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Gay/Lesbian Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Homosexuality and the Bible (Aug '11) 1 hr Static Charge 26,601
Judge overturns California's ban on same-sex ma... (Aug '10) 2 hr Cowobunga 201,150
Jindal defends January prayer rally at LSU campus 2 hr Hooogle It 5
Anti-gay Tenn. billboard stirs religion debate 3 hr Phyllis Schlafly ... 2,791
Op-ed: My Lesbian Moms Saved My Life 3 hr Phyllis Schlafly ... 3
Will the Supreme Court End Gay Marriage as an E... 4 hr WasteWater 434
Colo. gay discrimination alleged over wedding cake (Jun '13) 4 hr KiMerde 5,267
Next gay marriage fight: religious exemptions 6 hr Mikey 4,941
Why (R1) Righteous One is a POS (Dec '12) 6 hr Frankie Rizzo 74
More from around the web