Lawmakers in a brouhaha over scouts

Full story: Daily Democrat

Minority Republican lawmakers sponsored a resolution this week honoring the 100-year anniversary of the Boy Scouts.
Comments
1 - 16 of 16 Comments Last updated Jul 29, 2010
O4GS

Sacramento, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 17, 2010

Judged:

Assemblywoman Diane Harkey, R-Laguna Niguel said, "I just don't understand why this chamber wants to sexualize children."

It's not about the real kids anymore... it's all about the Democrats and the Republicans acting like kindergarteners and looking for every little thing they can find to fight about. The whole bunch of them are disgusting.
cwi530

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 17, 2010

Judged:

How far do we bend over for the gays? Should we teach our children the finer points of sodomy in grade school? It would reduce teen pregnancy.

As a parent I have the right to teach my child that homosexuality is a sin. I have the right to prevent you, or the scouts, or the government from teaching my child to be a homosexual.

Would you send your son on a camping trip with gay scout leaders? Openly, in your face gayness. Because that's where it's heading. Most people are willing to accept homosexuality but not embrace it and that's just not good enough for the flaming gays.

The same folks that scream for the separation of church and state are screaming for a unity of homosexuality and state.

If those lawmakers want to show their support for the gays go to San Francisco and give it up.
holy cow

West Sacramento, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 17, 2010

pretty much sums up our politicians these days. grow up!
Short Left Index Finger

Toronto, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 17, 2010

cwi530 wrote:
How far do we bend over for the gays? Should we teach our children the finer points of sodomy in grade school? It would reduce teen pregnancy.
As a parent I have the right to teach my child that homosexuality is a sin. I have the right to prevent you, or the scouts, or the government from teaching my child to be a homosexual.
Would you send your son on a camping trip with gay scout leaders? Openly, in your face gayness. Because that's where it's heading. Most people are willing to accept homosexuality but not embrace it and that's just not good enough for the flaming gays.
The same folks that scream for the separation of church and state are screaming for a unity of homosexuality and state.
If those lawmakers want to show their support for the gays go to San Francisco and give it up.
I don't hear you asking about your daughter going on a camping trip with the girl guides.I wonder why?Could it be male sexuality you are afraid of?
Pedant

Marysville, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 17, 2010

cwi530 wrote:
God you're a flamming ignoramous. That's where it's heading, openly AND in our face? Holy christ!

Church and homosexuality are comparable? Constituional separation between gay and straight, I mean state?
Woodlander2

Vacaville, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 17, 2010

I do not believe homosexuality is right. That is my personal opinion.
I also do not believe homosexual boys should be excluded from the boy scouts. We live in an awesome country where anyone can, within the law, be who they want to be without fear of prejudice. At least that's the way it's supposed to be.
If it's the gay scout leader you're worried about, you should probably check the statistics on straight vs. gay child molestation. Your child is more likely to be raped by either you or your spouse than by the "flamer" in San Francisco.
According to the US Department for Health and Human Services, "Approximately 80% of child abuse is perpetrated by a parent or caregiver."
Woodland Conservative

West Sacramento, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 17, 2010

O4GS wrote:
Assemblywoman Diane Harkey, R-Laguna Niguel said, "I just don't understand why this chamber wants to sexualize children."
It's not about the real kids anymore... it's all about the Democrats and the Republicans acting like kindergarteners and looking for every little thing they can find to fight about. The whole bunch of them are disgusting.
I'm with ya 04GS - they are mostly idiots, both parties. All the problems they have with the state and look what they spend time on.
Fire em - each and every incumbant!
Navalator

Hobart, Australia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 21, 2010

Good grief! cwi530 is totally ignorant. What a stupid statement! Amerca is such a great country where even morons can make public statements and have Consitituional protection even while wanting to deny it to others and mischaracterizing the facts. Can cwi530 actually get dressed in the morning without help?
Fred Harvey

Rayong, Thailand

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 28, 2010

O4GS wrote:
..........AND SHE HAS HIT THE NAIL DIRECTLY ON THE HEAD.
Fred Harvey

Rayong, Thailand

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 28, 2010

cwi530 wrote:
What a totally ignorant statement.

“Always questioning”

Since: Jul 10

Madison

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 28, 2010

Woodlander2 wrote:
I do not believe homosexuality is right. That is my personal opinion.
I also do not believe homosexual boys should be excluded from the boy scouts. We live in an awesome country where anyone can, within the law, be who they want to be without fear of prejudice. At least that's the way it's supposed to be.
If it's the gay scout leader you're worried about, you should probably check the statistics on straight vs. gay child molestation. Your child is more likely to be raped by either you or your spouse than by the "flamer" in San Francisco.
According to the US Department for Health and Human Services, "Approximately 80% of child abuse is perpetrated by a parent or caregiver."
Good post. Too bad it will be lost in a mass of bible quoting-fear mongering.
Frank Stanton

Saratoga Springs, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 28, 2010

I was a Cub Scout for many years, and a Boy Scout for many years.

But it is simply morally wrong for the Boy Scouts to exclude kids because they happen to be gay.

My church stopped supporting the Boy Scouts and threw them out of our meeting hall because of their stand on gay people.

I have gone out of my way to support the Girl Scouts BECAUSE they don't discriminate against gay people.

I remember the Scout Boy Scout Oath, the Boy Scout Law, the Boy Scout Motto, the Boy Scout Slogan, and The Outdoor Code.

NONE of these thing, which all Boy Scouts promise to live by, says ANYTHING about sexual orientation, nor sex in any way at all.

These codes DO SSPECIFICALLY SAY, amongst other things, that you are to be trustworthy, helpful, friendly, courteous, and kind to other people (they don't say: "EXCEPT gay boys".)

The Boy Scouts are certainly NOT living up to those ideals they promise to live by, when it comes to gay boys.

They're being hypocritical.

And what they do is indefensible.

They might as well change their uniforms to a white sheet.

And I say this as a former Boy Scout of many years.

And I'm glad my church voted to stop supporting them and kick them out of our meeting hall.

It was the MORALLY RIGHT thing to do.

Since: Jul 10

Winters, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 28, 2010

Frank Stanton wrote:
I was a Cub Scout for many years, and a Boy Scout for many years.
But it is simply morally wrong for the Boy Scouts to exclude kids because they happen to be gay.
My church stopped supporting the Boy Scouts and threw them out of our meeting hall because of their stand on gay people.
I have gone out of my way to support the Girl Scouts BECAUSE they don't discriminate against gay people.
I remember the Scout Boy Scout Oath, the Boy Scout Law, the Boy Scout Motto, the Boy Scout Slogan, and The Outdoor Code.
NONE of these thing, which all Boy Scouts promise to live by, says ANYTHING about sexual orientation, nor sex in any way at all.
These codes DO SSPECIFICALLY SAY, amongst other things, that you are to be trustworthy, helpful, friendly, courteous, and kind to other people (they don't say: "EXCEPT gay boys".)
The Boy Scouts are certainly NOT living up to those ideals they promise to live by, when it comes to gay boys.
They're being hypocritical.
And what they do is indefensible.
They might as well change their uniforms to a white sheet.
And I say this as a former Boy Scout of many years.
And I'm glad my church voted to stop supporting them and kick them out of our meeting hall.
It was the MORALLY RIGHT thing to do.
An OUTSTANDING post. As an Eagle Scout and former Scoutmaster, I left scouting because of the stance held and espoused by the national leadership. During my time with a local troop, we had two boys who were very successful scouts and were possibly gay. I say “possibly” because I was asked by their parents if I had any problems with having gay scouts in the troop. I honestly replied I never had or would ask a scout if he were gay. It really was none of my business. I probably broke a ton of rules but the boys were outstanding and accepted by the troop and ”most“ of the parents. We really didn't worry about their sexual orientation...or that of the “straight” scouts. We worried more about being trustworthy, loyal, helpful...
We worked with the boys to enjoy and protect the outdoors, to give back to the community, to respect their country. They did that and more.
What a shame to deny these young boys an opportunity to experience what was once a proud organization but is now driven by a leadership to teach boys that to discriminate is good. So sad.

Since: Jun 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 28, 2010

Good post, I am against homosexuality as this is child abuse and lawmaker should take action for this.
Fred Harvey

Rayong, Thailand

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 29, 2010

Darraslaw wrote:
Good post, I am against homosexuality as this is child abuse and lawmaker should take action for this.
What on earth are you talking about? You delightedly assign homosexuality as child abuse using time honored Jerry Falwell methods to forward personal homophobia using children as your shield. You are the type to accuse homosexuals of being guilty of earth quakes, tsunamis, terrorist attacks in New York and sun spots. Please tell us, you moron, what actions the lawmakers should take?
Frank Stanton

Saratoga Springs, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 29, 2010

Nuthinsurprizesmeanymore wrote:
<quoted text>An OUTSTANDING post. As an Eagle Scout and former Scoutmaster, I left scouting because of the stance held and espoused by the national leadership. During my time with a local troop, we had two boys who were very successful scouts and were possibly gay. I say “possibly” because I was asked by their parents if I had any problems with having gay scouts in the troop. I honestly replied I never had or would ask a scout if he were gay. It really was none of my business. I probably broke a ton of rules but the boys were outstanding and accepted by the troop and ”most“ of the parents. We really didn't worry about their sexual orientation...or that of the “straight” scouts. We worried more about being trustworthy, loyal, helpful...
We worked with the boys to enjoy and protect the outdoors, to give back to the community, to respect their country. They did that and more.
What a shame to deny these young boys an opportunity to experience what was once a proud organization but is now driven by a leadership to teach boys that to discriminate is good. So sad.
Well, you're obviously one of the sensible scout leaders, and I applaud you for living by the written codes of conduct that all scouts pledge to live by.

It's a shame that more scouts, and scout leaders, do not show the anti-gay bigots that they are being hypocrites and hurting boys who who may be in need of the support of other boys and men to help deal effectively with an often hostile and bigoted world.

Thanks you for your nice post.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••