Should evolution be taught in high school?

Feb 24, 2008 Full story: www.scientificblogging.com 174,441

Microbiologist Carl Woese is well known as an iconoclast. At 79 years of age, Woese is still shaking things up. Most recently, he stated in an interview with Wired that...

"My feeling is that evolution shouldn't be taught at the lower grades. You don't teach quantum mechanics in the grade schools. One has to be quite educated to work with these concepts; what they pass on as evolution in high schools is nothing but repetitious tripe that teachers don't understand." Full Story

“I Am No One Else”

Level 7

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#94388 Jun 15, 2012
nanoanomaly wrote:
<quoted text>A couple days ago you said the universe was a nasty chaotic place that was *determined to destroy mankind*.
XD
You really shouldn't let so much time pass between doses.
The universe is not society. If you cannot separate living things from non-living things then something is wrong with you.

Level 6

Since: Aug 07

Arlington, VA

#94389 Jun 15, 2012
Mugwump wrote:
<quoted text>
To be fair - the links do seem to be legit - and a worthwhile resource for learning the basics - even has a section of evolution - go figure
Yes Mugwump, I have to stay on top of both worldviews (creation & darwinism) because I need to sort out the "wheat from the chaff" from the secular science and also know creation science and the Bible as well and that's not always easy. What's easy is to just criticize anything that is not in lock-step with your dogma.

“I Am No One Else”

Level 7

Seattle

#94390 Jun 15, 2012
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes Mugwump, I have to stay on top of both worldviews (creation & darwinism) because I need to sort out the "wheat from the chaff" from the secular science and also know creation science and the Bible as well and that's not always easy. What's easy is to just criticize anything that is not in lock-step with your dogma.
But, and here's the big problem, there is no science in creationism, none.
Mugwump

UK

#94391 Jun 15, 2012
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
. What's easy is to just criticize anything that is not in lock-step with your dogma.
Is that why
you dismiss any arguments against YEC as just so stories

Refuse to answer /acknowledge certain questions put to you

Refuse to look at talk origins as you claim it's all bullshit anyway

“There's a feeling I get...”

Level 5

Since: Jun 11

...when I look to the West

#94392 Jun 15, 2012
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
Here is the thing:

You are not 'on top' of secular science.

Quick test:

The moon is orbiting the earth. Obviously the earth exerts a gravitational pull on the Moon.

Please tell my why the moon is not smashing into earth? Why does the moon ORBIT the earth, instead of moving to it?

Level 6

Arlington, VA

#94393 Jun 15, 2012
Mugwump wrote:
<quoted text>
Is that why
you dismiss any arguments against YEC as just so stories
Refuse to answer /acknowledge certain questions put to you
Refuse to look at talk origins as you claim it's all bullshit anyway
Well, that's what they are. Made up, "just so" stories with no evidence. All the evidence supports the biblical account.

Level 6

Arlington, VA

#94394 Jun 15, 2012
Double Fine wrote:
<quoted text>
Here is the thing:
You are not 'on top' of secular science.
Quick test:
The moon is orbiting the earth. Obviously the earth exerts a gravitational pull on the Moon.
Please tell my why the moon is not smashing into earth? Why does the moon ORBIT the earth, instead of moving to it?
If the moon's orbit is receeding at the current rate of 3.8cm per year, how long ago would it have been just touching the surface of the earth and what effect would being closer have on the earth's rotation, axis, and tidal forces?

Level 6

Arlington, VA

#94395 Jun 15, 2012
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
But, and here's the big problem, there is no science in creationism, none.
Yes, the sciece supports the biblical account. There is no science at all in darwinism. Darwinsism is all ideology and fantasy.

“There's a feeling I get...”

Level 5

Since: Jun 11

...when I look to the West

#94396 Jun 15, 2012
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, that's what they are. Made up, "just so" stories with no evidence. All the evidence supports the biblical account.
Wrong.

Please expalin to us the term 'isostacy' from a Creationist point of view.

Please explain the phenomenon of continental drift from a Creationist POV

Please explain radiometric dating techniques and why they are wrong (they must ALL be wrong, for your bible to be correct)

Please explain why we only find dinosaurs in the Mesozoic (dated 225-65 milion years ago)

Please explain why we find no mammals dating 300 million years or older.

Please explain why there are no dinosaurs left anymore.

The truth here: You know precious little of any kind of natural science, therefore you are critisizing from a position of utter ignorance.

“I Am No One Else”

Level 7

Seattle

#94397 Jun 15, 2012
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
No evidence supports the biblical account. The only ones saying that are the dishonest scum trying to sell you garbage books, DVDs, etc..

“I Am No One Else”

Level 7

Seattle

#94398 Jun 15, 2012
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, the sciece supports the biblical account. There is no science at all in darwinism. Darwinsism is all ideology and fantasy.
Prove it. I have seen the evidence supporting evolution, and there is no "Darwinism." Show some solid evidence that I can see, touch, and even test on my own.

Level 6

Arlington, VA

#94399 Jun 15, 2012
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
No evidence supports the biblical account. The only ones saying that are the dishonest scum trying to sell you garbage books, DVDs, etc..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =bZjxBdyu10AXX
All the evidence supports a young earth creation. And talk about money! You gotta be kidding me! The darwinists control everything! Schools, universities, government, tv, movies, books...you name it. You want to play?- you gotta pay. Talk about dishonest scum!

“Think&Care”

Since: Oct 07

Location hidden

#94400 Jun 15, 2012
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
If the moon's orbit is receeding at the current rate of 3.8cm per year, how long ago would it have been just touching the surface of the earth and what effect would being closer have on the earth's rotation, axis, and tidal forces?
Let's start by assuming a constant rate of separation. The moon is currently 384,000 km from the earth. That is 384,000,000 meters, which is
38,400,000,000,000 centimeters. Now, divide that by 3.8 centimeters per year to get about 10,000,000,000 years. That is 10 billion years.

Now, this is an over-estimate because the separation rate was probably higher at first and slowed down over time. That would reduce the estimate by a small factor, which makes it entirely consistent with a 4.5 billion year old earth.

Level 6

Arlington, VA

#94401 Jun 15, 2012
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
Prove it. I have seen the evidence supporting evolution, and there is no "Darwinism." Show some solid evidence that I can see, touch, and even test on my own.
Please share with me this "evidence" that you have seen, touched, and tested! I can't wait.

“I Am No One Else”

Level 7

Seattle

#94402 Jun 15, 2012
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
Please share with me this "evidence" that you have seen, touched, and tested! I can't wait.
Chemistry, which allowed me to understand how the gene mutations show evolutionary processes.

Fossil records, which are all over the internet and in museums across the globe.

The simple elegance of the theory of evolution to explain all of these.

Vaccines made based on the theory that have worked.

Medications based on the theory that have worked.

The fact that the theory has been so helpful in writing software it's become a tool that I cannot live without.

“I Am No One Else”

Level 7

Seattle

#94403 Jun 15, 2012
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
All the evidence supports a young earth creation. And talk about money! You gotta be kidding me! The darwinists control everything! Schools, universities, government, tv, movies, books...you name it. You want to play?- you gotta pay. Talk about dishonest scum!
Again, no such thing as Darwinism. Yet again, prove it. I have seen nothing. The YEC bull hinges on a lack of evidence, we have evidence showing a really old Earth, we have evidence of life existing long before us, we have evidence that human civilization itself is more than 10,000 years old. Ancient Egypt was around for at least 10,000 years before it collapsed, that alone destroy YEC, not to mention the Aztecs, Incas, etc..

“What, me worry?”

Since: Mar 09

I'm a racist caricature!

#94404 Jun 15, 2012
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
So, there's chaff to separate from the wheat in real science, but there apparently isn't in "creation science?" How do "creation scientists" manage to get it 100% right every time?

And, if they're so damn right, where's that list of accomplishments of "creation science?" You still have yet to cite a single one. Don't you worry, I won't forget.

Level 6

Arlington, VA

#94405 Jun 15, 2012
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
Chemistry, which allowed me to understand how the gene mutations show evolutionary processes.
Fossil records, which are all over the internet and in museums across the globe.
The simple elegance of the theory of evolution to explain all of these.
Vaccines made based on the theory that have worked.
Medications based on the theory that have worked.
The fact that the theory has been so helpful in writing software it's become a tool that I cannot live without.
You have to be specific. All that is meaningless ideological posturing. If you want to discuss something you have to be very specific. What fossil exactly? Vaccines have nothing to do with vertical evolution. Medicines are completely uninfluenced by macroevolution. Most museums are full of propaganda.

“What, me worry?”

Since: Mar 09

I'm a racist caricature!

#94406 Jun 15, 2012
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
Why did the pendulum swing to the other side? Once, creationism was the dominant paradigm. Why did so many die-hard creationists end up accepting the theory of evolution and geology and chemistry and physics and every other field of scientific study contrary to how today's Biblical literalist "creation scientists" do?

“That's just MY opinion...”

Since: Jan 07

Location hidden

#94407 Jun 15, 2012
polymath257 wrote:
Let's start by assuming a constant rate of separation. The moon is currently 384,000 km from the earth. That is 384,000,000 meters, which is
38,400,000,000,000 centimeters. Now, divide that by 3.8 centimeters per year to get about 10,000,000,000 years. That is 10 billion years.
Now, this is an over-estimate because the separation rate was probably higher at first and slowed down over time. That would reduce the estimate by a small factor, which makes it entirely consistent with a 4.5 billion year old earth.
Seems tha UC has been too busy repeating the claim to check the arithmetic. Wonder if he'll kick it off "The List".

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Evolution Debate Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Darwin on the rocks 15 min dog groomer 96
Evolution vs. Creation (Jul '11) 21 min anonymous 117,328
The Satanic Character of Social Darwinism 9 hr Chimney1 653
It's the Darwin crowd that lacks the facts in e... (Mar '09) Mon DanFromSmithville 137,373
Why are there no dinosaur pen is fossil? Sep 27 David M 2
New Fossil Reveals Multicellular Life Evolved 6... Sep 26 TedHOhio 8
Birds Evolved From Dinosaurs Slowly—Then Took Off Sep 26 TedHOhio 2

Evolution Debate People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE