Amarillo College nixes intelligent design class

Dec 23, 2013 Full story: World Magazine 284

In fall 2013, Amarillo College planned to offer a class entitled "Evolution vs. Intelligent Design" as one of its continuing education courses.

Full Story
First Prev
of 15
Next Last

Level 2

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

#1 Dec 24, 2013
So the atheists didn't want to debate in a classroom setting,..very informative

Level 9

Since: Sep 08

Everett, WA

#2 Dec 24, 2013
bohart wrote:
So the atheists didn't want to debate in a classroom setting,..very informative
No, the school is more intelligent than the proposed instructor of that class.

Would you expect a college to offer a class of ""Astronomy vs astrology" or "Medicine versus Voodoo"? Why would any school support such idiocy as ID?

By the way, you could tell the writer of that article was not the brightest person either. The fool called ID a "theory".

Level 2

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

#3 Dec 24, 2013
Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>
No, the school is more intelligent than the proposed instructor of that class.
Would you expect a college to offer a class of ""Astronomy vs astrology" or "Medicine versus Voodoo"? Why would any school support such idiocy as ID?
By the way, you could tell the writer of that article was not the brightest person either. The fool called ID a "theory".
Sure,sure sucking bone,.......looks like, smells like fear.

Level 9

Since: Sep 08

Everett, WA

#4 Dec 24, 2013
bohart wrote:
<quoted text>
Sure,sure sucking bone,.......looks like, smells like fear.
Only to an idiot.

We all know that you are an idiot.

Blowfart, why don't you ever try to debate your points? Is it too obvious to even you that you have no chance?

“I'm Your Huckleberry ”

Level 5

Since: Mar 13

That's Just My Game

#6 Dec 24, 2013
Jamie Farren, group president and co-founder of the local atheists and agnostics group, the Freethought Oasis confronted the teacher questioning his teaching qualifications. The confrontation was so heated it prompted the instructor, Stan Wilson, to file a police report.

But on their own site say "We of the Freethought Oasis believe strongly in being respectful of our fellow human beings, even if we have strong disagreements. Personal attacks, no matter the target, will not be tolerated"

That shows how full of crap they are.
Gillette

Fairfield, IA

#7 Dec 25, 2013
"In an Aug. 21 email sent to college president Matney, Ellen Green, the school’s chief of communication and marketing, said that if the college hosted the intelligent design class it would violate separation of church and state since the college is a publicly supported institution.

“If we have the class (because of public pressure) and get sued by the Free Thought Oasis group … they would win,” Green wrote.“Intelligent design is a religious point of view; it is not a recognized scientific view. It might make people around here mad, but it is a religious belief, not a science.… And so we’re basically hosting a Sunday School class here paid for by the taxpayers.”

Level 9

Since: Sep 08

Everett, WA

#8 Dec 25, 2013
replaytime wrote:
Jamie Farren, group president and co-founder of the local atheists and agnostics group, the Freethought Oasis confronted the teacher questioning his teaching qualifications. The confrontation was so heated it prompted the instructor, Stan Wilson, to file a police report.
But on their own site say "We of the Freethought Oasis believe strongly in being respectful of our fellow human beings, even if we have strong disagreements. Personal attacks, no matter the target, will not be tolerated"
That shows how full of crap they are.
The only source for that bullshit sounding claim is that obviously biased article.

Instead of being a bigoted moron why didn't you try to see if there was an unbiased story that said the same thing?

“I'm Your Huckleberry ”

Level 5

Since: Mar 13

That's Just My Game

#10 Dec 25, 2013
Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>
The only source for that bullshit sounding claim is that obviously biased article.
Instead of being a bigoted moron why didn't you try to see if there was an unbiased story that said the same thing?
How many you want Subby? Google the story. There are several versions from different reports. All say the same thing. It won't let the links post through on here same as it won't let the Freethought Oasis. Group link post through on here.

I find it sad that you will lie and call it bad articles or poor writing or a biased article to try to cover up for a hate group that doesn't even follow their own rules and mission.
The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

#11 Dec 25, 2013
bohart wrote:
So the atheists
Atheists? Oh, but ID doesn't have anything to do with religion, nope! It's just them lying atheist Darwinists who say it is!

Right?
bohart wrote:
didn't want to debate in a classroom setting,..very informative
Correct. Debating reality in a classroom is a BAD idea. We DON'T debate whether or not the holocaust happened in the classroom and say both points of view are equal, because you WILL end up with students who think it was a myth.

And they would be wrong.

Just as anyone who thinks evolution is a myth is wrong.

That's why when it comes to science, science is debated BY SCIENTISTS. In the lab. Or while doing fieldwork. NOT by kids in school who don't know any better. If kids in school wanna prove evolution wrong then the best thing to do is teach them the scientific consensus, and let them grow up to be scientists by giving them the best scientific information available. Your way means teaching kids BS and calling it as valid as biology then letting kids decide, which ironically pretty much guarantees that evolution could NEVER be falsified.

But then, you've never had the slightest interest in science education. For you this is all about atheism vs Christianity. It's only about theology for you fundies. For anyone who HAS a clue it's about science education and religious freedom.

Two things you are DIAMETRICALLY opposed to.
The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

#12 Dec 25, 2013
replaytime wrote:
Jamie Farren, group president and co-founder of the local atheists and agnostics group, the Freethought Oasis confronted the teacher questioning his teaching qualifications. The confrontation was so heated it prompted the instructor, Stan Wilson, to file a police report.
But on their own site say "We of the Freethought Oasis believe strongly in being respectful of our fellow human beings, even if we have strong disagreements. Personal attacks, no matter the target, will not be tolerated"
That shows how full of crap they are.
Really? Because from what you've provided it looks like their word against his.

But let's just say for the sake of argument that when things got out of hand that it was all Jamie Farren's fault, and Mr Wilson was right to call the cops - One thing that they have on their side is that Stan Wilson was not only intent on "teaching" something monumentally stupid, but also more than happy to break the law, violate the First Amendment of the US Constitution, and risk a lawsuit that could potentially cost the school dollars running into the amount of millions. Especially if they take into account of the fact that fundies have tried this in the past before and lost.

Every.

Single.

Time.

So here's how it is,**assuming** your opinion of Farren is right:

Farren has aggressive issues and needs to take a chill pill.

Wilson needs to stop hating on America, stop hating religious freedom and stop trying to destroy education in public schools. If he continues then firing him would be more than appropriate.
The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

#13 Dec 25, 2013
bohart wrote:
<quoted text>
Sure,sure sucking bone,.......looks like, smells like fear.
How can one fear what does not exist?

What exactly IS the "scientific theory" of ID?

Do you think it's a coincidence that they STILL haven't managed to finally come up with one yet ever since they thought it up 20 years ago?

Or 3,000, depending on how you look at it.(shrug)
The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

#14 Dec 25, 2013
Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>
The only source for that bullshit sounding claim is that obviously biased article.
Biased AND liars for Jesus - they claimed ID wasn't religious. Heck, even Bohart falsified that doozy in his o.p.
The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

#15 Dec 25, 2013
replaytime wrote:
<quoted text>
How many you want Subby? Google the story. There are several versions from different reports. All say the same thing. It won't let the links post through on here same as it won't let the Freethought Oasis. Group link post through on here.
I find it sad that you will lie and call it bad articles or poor writing or a biased article to try to cover up for a hate group that doesn't even follow their own rules and mission.
Actually Repro, since you're unwilling to back up your claim and told him to look it up himself you have therefore NOT shown that Sub is a liar.

I on the other hand HAVE shown them to be liars. And so did Bohart.

Give fundies enough rope, they always hang themselves.

“I'm Your Huckleberry ”

Level 5

Since: Mar 13

That's Just My Game

#16 Dec 25, 2013
Gillette wrote:
"In an Aug. 21 email sent to college president Matney, Ellen Green, the school’s chief of communication and marketing, said that if the college hosted the intelligent design class it would violate separation of church and state since the college is a publicly supported institution.
“If we have the class (because of public pressure) and get sued by the Free Thought Oasis group … they would win,” Green wrote.“Intelligent design is a religious point of view; it is not a recognized scientific view. It might make people around here mad, but it is a religious belief, not a science.… And so we’re basically hosting a Sunday School class here paid for by the taxpayers.”
It was a leisure class, not for credit, volunteer class that was "offered", not "MANDATORY" two nights a week from Aug. 27 through Oct. 29.. It was not going to be taught as science.

Other leisure classes such as bowling and golf are mandatory and are for credits.

So lets MAKE our college kids take bowling, golf or other leisure classes but not let them volunteer for a debate class of ID vs TOE

And yes if some group threatens "sue" you can bet the college does not want to get caught up in years of expensive legal battles that would cost the taxpayer a lot more money.

“I'm Your Huckleberry ”

Level 5

Since: Mar 13

That's Just My Game

#17 Dec 25, 2013
The Dude wrote:
<quoted text>
Really? Because from what you've provided it looks like their word against his.
But let's just say for the sake of argument that when things got out of hand that it was all Jamie Farren's fault, and Mr Wilson was right to call the cops - One thing that they have on their side is that Stan Wilson was not only intent on "teaching" something monumentally stupid, but also more than happy to break the law, violate the First Amendment of the US Constitution, and risk a lawsuit that could potentially cost the school dollars running into the amount of millions. Especially if they take into account of the fact that fundies have tried this in the past before and lost.
Every.
Single.
Time.
So here's how it is,**assuming** your opinion of Farren is right:
Farren has aggressive issues and needs to take a chill pill.
Wilson needs to stop hating on America, stop hating religious freedom and stop trying to destroy education in public schools. If he continues then firing him would be more than appropriate.
Hey idiot try reading the article. It was a not for credit, leisure, volunteer class. No one was being made or had to take the class. It was all VOLUNTEER! So it is not infringing on anyone's rights.

“I'm Your Huckleberry ”

Level 5

Since: Mar 13

That's Just My Game

#18 Dec 25, 2013
The Dude wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually Repro, since you're unwilling to back up your claim and told him to look it up himself you have therefore NOT shown that Sub is a liar.
I on the other hand HAVE shown them to be liars. And so did Bohart.
Give fundies enough rope, they always hang themselves.
Can you not comprehend what you read? >>>>>It won't let the links post through on here same as it won't let the Freethought Oasis. Group link post through on here.<<<<<<

You got a problem that the moderators won't let the links post on here take it up with them. I tried 3 times to post the links and all three times the comment is stopped from posting.

“I have upset the hand of god”

Level 9

Since: Jan 11

Threats pending

#19 Dec 25, 2013
bohart wrote:
<quoted text>
Sure,sure sucking bone,.......looks like, smells like fear.
Yes it does smell like fear. Yours and the other IDiots.

“I have upset the hand of god”

Level 9

Since: Jan 11

Threats pending

#20 Dec 25, 2013
replaytime wrote:
Jamie Farren, group president and co-founder of the local atheists and agnostics group, the Freethought Oasis confronted the teacher questioning his teaching qualifications. The confrontation was so heated it prompted the instructor, Stan Wilson, to file a police report.
But on their own site say "We of the Freethought Oasis believe strongly in being respectful of our fellow human beings, even if we have strong disagreements. Personal attacks, no matter the target, will not be tolerated"
That shows how full of crap they are.
Yes, much like the threats of violence you have made in the past got you booted off of Topix in your original Jokster sock.

You are a great HYPOCRITE!!!

“I have upset the hand of god”

Level 9

Since: Jan 11

Threats pending

#21 Dec 25, 2013
bohart wrote:
So the atheists didn't want to debate in a classroom setting,..very informative
Dude is right. I missed this. You are claiming ID is nothing but religion and not fit to be taught in a science class.

“I'm Your Huckleberry ”

Level 5

Since: Mar 13

That's Just My Game

#22 Dec 25, 2013
DanFromSmithville wrote:
<quoted text>Yes, much like the threats of violence you have made in the past got you booted off of Topix in your original Jokster sock.
You are a great HYPOCRITE!!!
Then you should not have called my wife and daughter names. Everyone wonders why it doesn't die out between you and I, It is because you love riding the drama llama and keep it going for pity and attention.

There is the answer to your question Dogen. Now you know.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 15
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Evolution Debate Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Should evolution be taught in high school? (Feb '08) 2 min One way or another 173,567
Can the universe be God's brain? (Jun '07) 1 hr Dogen 52
Evolution vs. Creation (Jul '11) 1 hr dirtclod 116,547
It's the Darwin crowd that lacks the facts in e... (Mar '09) 1 hr Dogen 137,080
Satan's Lies and Scientist Guys 1 hr TedHOhio 5
The Satanic Character of Social Darwinism 3 hr MikeF 488
There is no scientific evidence whatsoever for ... 3 hr Kong_ 147
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••

Evolution Debate People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••