Today

Charlottesville, VA

#24 May 8, 2012
Anybody ever see that South Park episode "Smug Alert?" It doesn't matter what side you are on in Charlottesville, most act like the hybrid owners in that cartoon. You can almost hear a collective inhale in City Council meetings. Humility is in the minority here.
heh

Charlottesville, VA

#25 May 8, 2012
Rod wrote:
Pot, or no pot, the audio system that feeds channel 10 during these meetings is awful.Get a new system, brief the speakers on how to use a microphone, and get an audio board and someone to ride it.
No kidding. Local public broadcasting is horrible. My cheapo camera has better audio/video quality. Much of the time the mic is too hot so the sound is distorted. Even the video is blurry at times. What are they working with?
cville

Charlottesville, VA

#26 May 8, 2012
I hope it will pass that way I can ask them to pass Cocaine yay boy that stuff help me stay skinny and working nights helps me stay up good job charlottesville love this place
Too Funny

Charlottesville, VA

#27 May 8, 2012
"Galvin was the most vocal opponent, saying the usage of pot has been linked to some serious health risks."

Has Galvin ever read the packaging cigs come in? LOL
Liberalace

Charlottesville, VA

#28 May 8, 2012
heh wrote:
<quoted text>
No kidding. Local public broadcasting is horrible. My cheapo camera has better audio/video quality. Much of the time the mic is too hot so the sound is distorted. Even the video is blurry at times. What are they working with?
Perhaps we can assign Ric Barrick to the task of procuring the proper equipment?

R.I.P.: Jon Erik-Hexum
Sapphire

Charlottesville, VA

#29 May 8, 2012
I am 48, tried pot as a teen, don't use drugs but I agree. Alcohol should be illegal if pot is! It kills many many many people. We need to get real here, isn't alcohol as dangerous if not more so than pot? I would like to see some studies on driving and drinking versus being high while driving. What if pot is safer?
Sapphire

Charlottesville, VA

#30 May 8, 2012
Oh and let us not forget about cigarettes, that are legal with HUGE health risks and over 400 chemicals, some of which cause cancer! Really, this country needs to wake up!
Sapphire

Charlottesville, VA

#31 May 8, 2012
cville wrote:
I hope it will pass that way I can ask them to pass Cocaine yay boy that stuff help me stay skinny and working nights helps me stay up good job charlottesville love this place
Your logic is seriously FLAWED! Just because a person smokes pot does not mean they will do cocaine! Tell me how many deaths alcohol and smoking has caused and it's legal!
TV10 Program Director

Charlottesville, VA

#32 May 8, 2012
heh wrote:
<quoted text>
Hi and thanks for your comment. I'm sorry that your viewing experience is sub-par, we try to deliver the best broadcast we can with minimal staff and the fraction of monetary resources that our local and regional networks have to work with.

To answer your question, we are working with 3 standard definition Sony PZT cameras and a 16 channel mixer. Because our cameras are SD and our signal is analog, we unfortunately pale in comparison to the crisp HD or even digital SD signal that occupies our neighboring channels.

The mic situation is tricky because of serious wear and tear and having to balance in-house audio with our network feed. Not everyone speaks at the same volume or even speaks directly into the mic, although we encourage proper speaking technique on a regular basis. This causes serious challenges when riding audio on a mixer that has not been run through a compressor/limiter and can pose major feedback issues if not balanced correctly. We are currently working to upgrade our microphones and cabling and should have the resources to improve this area of our broadcast once the new fiscal year begins in July.

Because of limited budget, only one staff person is in charge of any given 'live' city meeting and must handle multiple tasks to deliver an entire broadcast. We certainly try to do our best with these limited resources and work to ensure that you receive the information you seek even though it may not be the quality you are used to in today's high-definition world.

If you would like to come down to City Hall and take a tour of our facilities I would be more than happy to show you around. Please contact me at ricej@charlottesville.org.

Thanks!
cville

Charlottesville, VA

#33 May 8, 2012
Sapphire wrote:
<quoted text>
Your logic is seriously FLAWED! Just because a person smokes pot does not mean they will do cocaine! Tell me how many deaths alcohol and smoking has caused and it's legal!
hey I just want cville to pass it.All I can do is ask
sandy beebe

Penn Laird, VA

#34 May 8, 2012
the oil of cannabis is an official cure for cancer, and any many other diseases.the hemp plant its cousin will remove radio active debris from the air and soil and turn it into an inert substance which is not radio active.i suggest that originally previous to chemicals hemp and cannabis were the main staples of the human food chain.cannabis will kill mersa and other deadly diseases .
One Man

Charlottesville, VA

#35 May 8, 2012
Surely it is encouraging when the iron curtain of draconian repression lifts a bit and a small ray of freedom shines timidly through, here in the Police States of America.

“bad luck or no luck”

Since: Jun 08

Location hidden

#36 May 8, 2012
Dude wrote:
<quoted text>Um, you don't understand how laws are made, and what the police's role is in that process, do you?
Whether a law is just, moral, or not, police enforce; lawmakers... make... laws.
Obviously you do not live in this Third world class city
Rita

Charlottesville, VA

#37 May 8, 2012
Mr. Fogel thinks this belongs in the public health sector, not the criminal law sector. Well, let's make it so you need a prescription.
Really

United States

#38 May 8, 2012
Why don't we just do away with all the laws. We just roll over anyone complains about them anyway.
Do Not Treat Them

Rice, VA

#39 May 8, 2012
We need a real war on substance abusers that don't pay their hospital bills that result from their addiction.
Ummm No

Richmond, VA

#40 May 8, 2012
Whatever wrote:
Once again the "People's Republic of Charlottesville" has spoken! Off beat and out in the atmosphere, these city councilors keep comming up resolutions that are a waiste of time to the taxpayers. I wonder if ol' Dave and the gang will teach thier kids how to roll "one"? They are an embarassment to us all.
They are an embarrassment? Maybe you need to comb over your post a try to figure out why you're such an idiot. The irony of that last sentence is overwhelming. Kill yourself.
heh

Charlottesville, VA

#41 May 8, 2012
TV10 Program Director wrote:
<quoted text>
Hi and thanks for your comment. I'm sorry that your viewing experience is sub-par, we try to deliver the best broadcast we can with minimal staff and the fraction of monetary resources that our local and regional networks have to work with.
To answer your question, we are working with 3 standard definition Sony PZT cameras and a 16 channel mixer. Because our cameras are SD and our signal is analog, we unfortunately pale in comparison to the crisp HD or even digital SD signal that occupies our neighboring channels.
The mic situation is tricky because of serious wear and tear and having to balance in-house audio with our network feed. Not everyone speaks at the same volume or even speaks directly into the mic, although we encourage proper speaking technique on a regular basis. This causes serious challenges when riding audio on a mixer that has not been run through a compressor/limiter and can pose major feedback issues if not balanced correctly. We are currently working to upgrade our microphones and cabling and should have the resources to improve this area of our broadcast once the new fiscal year begins in July.
Because of limited budget, only one staff person is in charge of any given 'live' city meeting and must handle multiple tasks to deliver an entire broadcast. We certainly try to do our best with these limited resources and work to ensure that you receive the information you seek even though it may not be the quality you are used to in today's high-definition world.
If you would like to come down to City Hall and take a tour of our facilities I would be more than happy to show you around. Please contact me at ricej@charlottesville.org.
Thanks!
Thanks for the explanation and I apologize for my off-base rant. I don't watch a lot of the Charlottesville programming, but when I do tune in, the audio sometimes makes me wonder why the technician doesn't correct it. It almost seems like you can't determine real-time that sound is distorted. In a school board meeting I recently watched the gain was set so high, words were unintelligible.
Goose and Gander

Charlottesville, VA

#42 May 8, 2012
Since City Employees are drug tested, why don't the Council members get tested?
Checkin Facts

Charlottesville, VA

#43 May 8, 2012
Marijuana used to be the patriotic plant to grow in this country. All of our fore-fathers grew it...including the all-mighty T.J.

I agree that alcohol is more dangerous in a lot of ways...ever hear of some guy beating up his family because he was high? However, we tried making alcohol illegal, remember? That's what gave power to the mafias in this country.

Marijuana didn't become illegal because it was harmful or a "gateway drug." California, ironically, was the first state to make it illegal. For them, it was an excuse to inspect trucks coming in from Mexico in the early 1900's, but they weren't looking for drugs, they were looking for people.

The federal government first made it illegal because of financial pressure from large oil companies which just discovered they were making diesel fuel as a bi-product of gasoline and could replace hemp oil that was being used to power diesel engines. Funny how we now import a lot of illegal drugs from the same countries we import oil from.

It was later classified as a schedule 1 drug (worst kind) when Vietnam Veterans were returning to a country that had turned its back on them.

I know that a lot of people are afraid that making marijuana legal again will cause an uncontrollable outbreak of consumption that cannot be reversed, but fortunately there is no evidence to support that forecast. Also, making it legal is not the same as making it OK.

The Netherlands have a lower usage rate for marijuana than we do here in the States. That's because it is looked down upon over there and will be here too. In Amsterdam, it's not the threat of being arrested that keeps you from smoking marijuana in public, it's the social aspect of other people looking down upon it. This social aspect is a far better deterrent than law.

However, the longer we keep it illegal, the longer we subject our society to the arguments that it is harmless and "everyone should do it". Once we make it legal, then we can start affective social campaigns against it with very little opposition. It's this kind of balance that will allow some people to use it recreationally and not have the drug rampant. Trying to make no one smoke is just as bad as trying to make everyone smoke. You will achieve negative outcomes in both scenarios.

For both alcohol and marijuana, while illegal, their usage has gone up, the drug related crimes have gone WAY up, the jails have become full, and society has suffered. So tell me again, why is it a good idea for marijuana to be illegal?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Drugs Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Vagos motorcycle club targeted in Southern Cali... (Mar '06) 25 min really 4,798
Infant burned after SWAT team throws grenade in... 48 min Chink 7
Neighborhood menace - Sentinel & Enterprise (May '09) 1 hr kim 9
Drug sweep nets arrests in Jackson County 14 hr JJCCESS 23
Bladen County Sheriff's Office (Jun '12) 15 hr Mars 3
Montebello councilwomana s husband sentenced to... 16 hr Witty Whittierite 21
Mom's screams halt baby slay trial 17 hr Richard Kranium 1

Drugs People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE