Why they hate us: How many Muslims killed by U.S. in last 30 years?

Jul 25, 2010 | Posted by: Passers by | Full story: walt.foreignpolicy.com

Tom Friedman had an especially fatuous column in Sunday's New York Times, which is saying something given his well-established capacity for smug self-assurance. According to Friedman, the big challenge we face in the Arab and Islamic world is "the Narrative" -- his patronizing term for Muslim views about America's supposedly negative role in the region. .

Some degree of anti-Americanism may reflect ideology, distorted history, or a foreign government's attempt to shift blame onto others (a practice that all governments indulge in), but a lot of it is the inevitable result of policies that the American people have supported in the past. When you kill tens of thousands of people in other countries -- and sometimes for no good reason -- you shouldn't be surprised when people in those countries are enraged by this behavior and interested in revenge. After all, how did we react after September 11?

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 20 of90
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:

“The Truth is Out There........”

Since: Aug 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#1
Jul 25, 2010
 

Judged:

2

2

2

Why they hate us (II): How many Muslims has the U.S. killed in the past 30 years?

http://walt.foreignpolicy.com/posts/2009/11/3 ...

""Here's my back-of-the-envelope analysis, based on estimates deliberately chosen to favor the United States. Specifically, I have taken the low estimates of Muslim fatalities, along with much more reliable figures for U.S. deaths.

To repeat: I have deliberately selected "low-end" estimates for Muslim fatalities, so these figures present the "best case" for the United States. Even so, the United States has killed nearly 30 Muslims for every American lost. The real ratio is probably much higher, and a reasonable upper bound for Muslim fatalities (based mostly on higher estimates of "excess deaths" in Iraq due to the sanctions regime and the post-2003 occupation) is well over one million, equivalent to over 100 Muslim fatalities for every American lost.

Given our generous and unconditional support for Israel's policy towards the Arab world in general and the Palestinians in particular, Muslims rightly hold us partly responsible for those victims too.

Contrary to what Friedman thinks, our real problem isn't a fictitious Muslim "narrative" about America's role in the region; it is mostly the actual things we have been doing in recent years. To say that in no way justifies anti-American terrorism or absolves other societies of responsibility for their own mistakes or misdeeds. But the self-righteousness on display in Friedman's op-ed isn't just simplistic; it is actively harmful. Why? Because whitewashing our own misconduct makes it harder for Americans to figure out why their country is so unpopular and makes us less likely to consider different (and more effective) approaches.

Some degree of anti-Americanism may reflect ideology, distorted history, or a foreign government's attempt to shift blame onto others (a practice that all governments indulge in), but a lot of it is the inevitable result of policies that the American people have supported in the past. When you kill tens of thousands of people in other countries -- and sometimes for no good reason -- you shouldn't be surprised when people in those countries are enraged by this behavior and interested in revenge. After all, how did we react after September 11? ""
Az Zaqqum

Phoenix, AZ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#2
Jul 25, 2010
 

Judged:

4

2

1

2 words...allah's will

“The Defiant Dhimmi”

Since: Apr 08

Scholar of the Obvious

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#3
Jul 25, 2010
 

Judged:

6

2

1

The fact remains that more Muslims are killed by Muslims that by the US.

People die in war and Muhammad declared war against every non-Muslim unless they bent to his megalomania.
Whiskey Rebel

Smithfield, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#4
Jul 25, 2010
 

Judged:

3

The Islamics should have thought of the results of their martyr's 9-11 escapades and stop gripping that the USA has retaliated.
Whiskey Rebel

Smithfield, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#5
Jul 25, 2010
 
Should have written "griping."
Isreality

Albany, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#6
Jul 25, 2010
 

Judged:

1

1

Passers by wrote:
Why they hate us (II): How many Muslims has the U.S. killed in the past 30 years?
http://walt.foreignpolicy.com/posts/2009/11/3 ...
""Here's my back-of-the-envelope analysis, based on estimates deliberately chosen to favor the United States. Specifically, I have taken the low estimates of Muslim fatalities, along with much more reliable figures for U.S. deaths.
To repeat: I have deliberately selected "low-end" estimates for Muslim fatalities, so these figures present the "best case" for the United States. Even so, the United States has killed nearly 30 Muslims for every American lost. The real ratio is probably much higher, and a reasonable upper bound for Muslim fatalities (based mostly on higher estimates of "excess deaths" in Iraq due to the sanctions regime and the post-2003 occupation) is well over one million, equivalent to over 100 Muslim fatalities for every American lost.
Given our generous and unconditional support for Israel's policy towards the Arab world in general and the Palestinians in particular, Muslims rightly hold us partly responsible for those victims too.
Contrary to what Friedman thinks, our real problem isn't a fictitious Muslim "narrative" about America's role in the region; it is mostly the actual things we have been doing in recent years. To say that in no way justifies anti-American terrorism or absolves other societies of responsibility for their own mistakes or misdeeds. But the self-righteousness on display in Friedman's op-ed isn't just simplistic; it is actively harmful. Why? Because whitewashing our own misconduct makes it harder for Americans to figure out why their country is so unpopular and makes us less likely to consider different (and more effective) approaches.
Some degree of anti-Americanism may reflect ideology, distorted history, or a foreign government's attempt to shift blame onto others (a practice that all governments indulge in), but a lot of it is the inevitable result of policies that the American people have supported in the past. When you kill tens of thousands of people in other countries -- and sometimes for no good reason -- you shouldn't be surprised when people in those countries are enraged by this behavior and interested in revenge. After all, how did we react after September 11? ""
Excellent post Passers by... Very informative....

“Alea iacta est!”

Since: Oct 06

Oh it's ON!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#7
Jul 26, 2010
 

Judged:

2

1

Az Zaqqum wrote:
2 words...allah's will
:)

And I must add...who cares if 'they' hate us? They started this mess and we will end it.
Isreality

Albany, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#9
Jul 26, 2010
 

Judged:

1

1

1

Passers by wrote:
Why they hate us (II): How many Muslims has the U.S. killed in the past 30 years?
http://walt.foreignpolicy.com/posts/2009/11/3 ...
""Here's my back-of-the-envelope analysis, based on estimates deliberately chosen to favor the United States. Specifically, I have taken the low estimates of Muslim fatalities, along with much more reliable figures for U.S. deaths.
To repeat: I have deliberately selected "low-end" estimates for Muslim fatalities, so these figures present the "best case" for the United States. Even so, the United States has killed nearly 30 Muslims for every American lost. The real ratio is probably much higher, and a reasonable upper bound for Muslim fatalities (based mostly on higher estimates of "excess deaths" in Iraq due to the sanctions regime and the post-2003 occupation) is well over one million, equivalent to over 100 Muslim fatalities for every American lost.
Given our generous and unconditional support for Israel's policy towards the Arab world in general and the Palestinians in particular, Muslims rightly hold us partly responsible for those victims too.
Contrary to what Friedman thinks, our real problem isn't a fictitious Muslim "narrative" about America's role in the region; it is mostly the actual things we have been doing in recent years. To say that in no way justifies anti-American terrorism or absolves other societies of responsibility for their own mistakes or misdeeds. But the self-righteousness on display in Friedman's op-ed isn't just simplistic; it is actively harmful. Why? Because whitewashing our own misconduct makes it harder for Americans to figure out why their country is so unpopular and makes us less likely to consider different (and more effective) approaches.
Some degree of anti-Americanism may reflect ideology, distorted history, or a foreign government's attempt to shift blame onto others (a practice that all governments indulge in), but a lot of it is the inevitable result of policies that the American people have supported in the past. When you kill tens of thousands of people in other countries -- and sometimes for no good reason -- you shouldn't be surprised when people in those countries are enraged by this behavior and interested in revenge. After all, how did we react after September 11? ""
Agreed Passers by
rider

Marquette, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#10
Jul 26, 2010
 
GO Wikileaks-----YouTube - Wikileaks leaked video of Civilians killed in Baghdad ...Apr 3, 2010 ... Please note: This is a full uncut version of the video primarily intended for research purposes.
www.youtube.com/watch... - Cached
YouTube - Collateral Murder - Wikileaks - IraqApr 3, 2010 ... Wikileaks has obtained and decrypted this previously unreleased video footage from a US Apache helicopter in 2007....
www.youtube.com/watch... - Cached
Show more results from www.youtube.com
YouTube - WikiLeaks releases secret video of journalists ...RussiaToday 05 April 2010 (WARNING: This video may not be suitable for minors) Follow RT at http://twitter.com/RT_com and at http://www.facebook.com/p .
il.youtube.com/watch... - Cached
YouTube - Wikileaks Video: Soldier's Letter: textI made this video so that more people would know about this amazing letter, and have a chance to sign. I know it isn't fancy, but the content cannot wait.
il.youtube.com/watch... - Cached
Show more results from il.youtube.com
Videos for youtube/wikileaks
WikiLeaks editor on Apache combat video: No ...
7 min - Apr 6, 2010
Uploaded by RussiaToday
www.youtube.com

YouTube- Wikileaks leaked video of Civilians ...
11 min - Apr 12, 2010
Uploaded by kevinstuartfr0st
www.youtube.com


hooooodah thunk!..., agin?: YouTube - WikiLeaks VIDEO Exposes ...YouTube - WikiLeaks VIDEO Exposes 2007 'Collateral Murder' In Iraq - Wikileaks Editor Interview: "Wikileaks Editor Interview" ...
hooooodahthunk.blogspot.com/.../youtube-wikil... - Cached

“The Truth is Out There........”

Since: Aug 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#11
Jul 26, 2010
 

Judged:

1

1

1

Az Zaqqum wrote:
2 words...allah's will
May be this can be another islamic joke in your that 'famous' humor book!

“The Truth is Out There........”

Since: Aug 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#12
Jul 26, 2010
 

Judged:

1

Trisha wrote:
<quoted text>
:)
And I must add...who cares if 'they' hate us? They started this mess and we will end it.
Can you?

“The Truth is Out There........”

Since: Aug 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#13
Jul 26, 2010
 

Judged:

2

2

1

Wilberhum wrote:
The fact remains that more Muslims are killed by Muslims that by the US.
People die in war and Muhammad declared war against every non-Muslim unless they bent to his megalomania.
Your post sounds quite familiar when read with some replaced words:

...People die in war and 'USA' declared war against every non-USA unless they bent to its megalomania.

“The Truth is Out There........”

Since: Aug 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#14
Jul 26, 2010
 

Judged:

1

1

1

If we add the total muslims killed in 20 year Afghan-Soviet war and those of 8 year Iran-Iraq war, list of Muslims killed to serve US interest would be far bigger.

These two wars were also designed by US warmongers for its global and regional domination. Fools see only the puppets, but wises can see the Mentor behind those.

“The Truth is Out There........”

Since: Aug 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#15
Jul 26, 2010
 

Judged:

1

1

1

.. 10years Afghan-Soviet war...

“The Truth is Out There........”

Since: Aug 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#16
Jul 26, 2010
 

Judged:

1

1

1

Throughout its history after the world wars, USA always promoted wars and fears worldwide to flourish market of its arms industry. This arms profit makes it bigger, and makes nations of the world sucked up and ruined..

“The Truth is Out There........”

Since: Aug 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#17
Jul 26, 2010
 

Judged:

1

1

1

A must see:

Iraq war Planned in 1998: PNAC letter to Bill Clinton

http://www.youtube.com/watch...

“The Truth is Out There........”

Since: Aug 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#18
Jul 26, 2010
 

Judged:

1

1

1

PNAC: You have got to see this! It is WILD!

http://www.youtube.com/watch...

“The Truth is Out There........”

Since: Aug 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#19
Jul 26, 2010
 

Judged:

1

1

1

MUST SEE!!

PNAC and the NEOCONs: wanted a new Pearl Harbor before 9/11!

http://www.youtube.com/watch...
Chiclets

New Orleans, LA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#20
Jul 26, 2010
 

Judged:

2

1

The Muslims never needed any excuse to hate America and kill Americans. Muslim carry Islam like a festering hemorrhoid. Everytime you kick their butt they howl with rage.

“The Truth is Out There........”

Since: Aug 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#21
Jul 26, 2010
 

Judged:

1

1

1

What is PNAC?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_for_the_...

The Project for the New American Century (PNAC) was an American think tank based in Washington, D.C. that lasted from early 1997 to 2006. It was co-founded as a non-profit educational organization by neoconservatives William Kristol and Robert Kagan. The PNAC's stated goal was "to promote American global leadership." Fundamental to the PNAC were the view that "American leadership is both good for America and good for the world" and support for "a Reaganite policy of military strength and moral clarity." The PNAC exerted influence on high-level U.S. government officials in the administration of U.S. President George W. Bush and affected the Bush Administration's development of military and foreign policies, especially involving national security and the Iraq War.

"End of the organization"

By the end of 2006, PNAC was "reduced to a voice-mail box and a ghostly website", with "a single employee" "left to wrap things up", according to the BBC News. According to Tom Barry, "The glory days of the Project for the New American Century (PNAC) quickly passed." In 2006, Gary Schmitt, former executive director of the PNAC, a resident scholar at the American Enterprise Institute and director of its program in Advanced Strategic Studies, stated that PNAC had come to a natural end:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_for_the_...

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 20 of90
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••