Obama's August Surprise on Mountaintop Removal?

Jul 18, 2012 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Common Dreams

As the ravages of mountaintop removal coal mining--including the re-emerging scandal of reckless black lung policies on strip miners--continue to mount despite the shift of coal production to the heartland and western Power River Basin--President Obama has an election-year opportunity to declare an armistice in the polarized Appalachian coalfields, ... (more)

Comments
1 - 15 of 15 Comments Last updated Aug 28, 2012
whatever

Bristol, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 18, 2012

Judged:

It is a shame that EPA and tree huggers are allowed to pollute our area with their lies. Others here including myself are proud coal miners and supporters of our local economy and our environment. We go beyond what the Feds and State say are the minimum expectations. Please, pack up you BS and travel on down the line and pick another "cause" before you force all our families in the street.
Dane Thorsen

Los Alamitos, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 18, 2012

Judged:

whatever wrote:
It is a shame that EPA and tree huggers are allowed to pollute our area with their lies. Others here including myself are proud coal miners and supporters of our local economy and our environment. We go beyond what the Feds and State say are the minimum expectations. Please, pack up you BS and travel on down the line and pick another "cause" before you force all our families in the street.
Imagine how awful Coal State voters feel after electing Democrats who completely failed to stand up to Obama as Obama worked to destroy one of their States most important JOB resources?

Who knew that Voting for Democrats would have such a horrific impact on hard working Americans?
Hopefully, we won't repeat that MISTAKE this next election.
Blank

Big Stone Gap, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 19, 2012

Judged:

whatever wrote:
It is a SHAME how coal company mouthpieces can make victims of mountaintop removal seem like ENEMIES!! Mtn. top removal produces less coal than regular mining and employs fewer people as well, not to mention the rape of water and landscape!! And by the way, coal usage is decling about 10% per decade NOT becasue of a made-up govt. action, but by private industry itself!! More and more businesses are using cleaner and cheaper natural gas, solar, wind, etc. So...blame INDIVIDUAL COMPANIES for 10% per decade decline in coal use, not some imagined govt. conspiracy! And when YOU KIDS get cancer from polluted water from environmentally harmful mining, call THEM "tree huggers"!! Jackass....
COALMINERS WIFE

London, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 19, 2012

Judged:

im sure you was raised on a coal miners pay or your parents or grandparents and so on was.COAL IS WHAT FEEDS MU CHILDREN,PUTS CLOTHES ON THEIR BACK ETC GET A LIVE
Bringmedinner

San Jose, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 19, 2012

Judged:

Considering the number of mountains in the world, the very few being mined are an insignificance. Leftists fully discussed in the 70s how they would use false flag environmental issues to maintain their control over the minds of ignorant and intentionally dumbed-down citizenry. Investigating those environmental groups will find a higher percentage of them parlaying money to homosexual couples scamming them and the public as "action groups", than the minuscule number of mountains being used as energy sources and turned into beautiful parks and recreation areas. Just what does concern over remarkably few mountain tops have to do with hiding the funding of sexual deviance in yearly reports people seldom read?

Next, we'll hear spurious claims from these Leftist front groups, that removing mountain tops makes it for bad climate change because it's easier for clouds to go over them and not build sufficient energy to become needed rain fronts. Gays will be activated to more public displays of porking each other in trees as relevant public service events to get more people unemployed and cold in the winter to promote snuggling as an alternative to coal.

Connect the dots of Leftist Networks and vote them out of Congress and the Senate.
whatever

Bristol, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 20, 2012

Judged:

Blank wrote:
<quoted text>It is a SHAME how coal company mouthpieces can make victims of mountaintop removal seem like ENEMIES!! Mtn. top removal produces less coal than regular mining and employs fewer people as well, not to mention the rape of water and landscape!! And by the way, coal usage is decling about 10% per decade NOT becasue of a made-up govt. action, but by private industry itself!! More and more businesses are using cleaner and cheaper natural gas, solar, wind, etc. So...blame INDIVIDUAL COMPANIES for 10% per decade decline in coal use, not some imagined govt. conspiracy! And when YOU KIDS get cancer from polluted water from environmentally harmful mining, call THEM "tree huggers"!! Jackass....
So I suppose your computer is powered by solar energy, your car runs on water and the fracking done by the natural gas companies is "A-OKAY"! Give me a break!!!! Lets see.... when YOUR KIDS get cancer it will be from the toxins released from the ground when the gas companies come in and frack and expose tiny molecules of dust and mold spores in the air! Give me a break, enough is enough!!!
what the

Madison, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 20, 2012

Judged:

I hate tree huggers and worked in coal mines for 10 years,saved my money now I do something else. If I ever get to the point that coal mining is "all I know" and is the ony way to support my family I should walk around with a bag over my face with dummy writen on it.This is the U.S.A with lots of opportunity for those willing to work hard and plan ahead even with a bad economy.The attitude of ohhhh! if coal mines shut down what will I ever do needs to stop.Don't think so little of yourself you can do anything if you try hard enough I did it so can anyone else.
wondering

Blacksburg, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 21, 2012

Judged:

Well the people that are blaming the Democrats for this decline are full of crap. The republicans are responsible for this economy period. Bush had a surplus in the treasury and screwed it up and put us in the worst depression we have ever had. Facts are facts.... Boucher was the biggest supporter of coal. Why do u think the coal unions backed him. We lost a lot when we lost him. You will never get anyone to work for Sw VA harder than he did. Morgan Griffith sure isn't doing crap except acting like the state ends in Roanoke like all the rest. If any of you vote for a Republican in November both for house, senate and president, then you deserve what u get which will be nothing.... Because they have already proven they are for the millionaires and not the common, hard working decent people trying to make a living and comfortably taking care of their homes and family.
hebintn

Knoxville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 24, 2012

Judged:

I am truly sorry for the plight of the coal miner. Their lives have been filled with pain. Once the coal is gone there is nothing left but the land, and regardless of the tripe that coal companies put out, mountaintop removal wrecks mountains... forever. Thinking the mined land is going to be used for malls and golf courses is folly. If there are no people around who can afford these things... they won't be built.
We need to end MTR. We need to support what's left of deep mining. We need to stop government subsidies for all fossil fuel. We need to take that subsidy money and start training programs for out of work miners that will help them transition into alternative energy (all those mined area are worthless, but could have solar/wind farms built on them which will sustainably employ many more people than surface mines do. These jobs wouldn't be subject to the whims of the coal bosses and politics like mining is.
Like our late Senator Byrd talked about, we need to look to the future. That future will depend on what is left of the land. Let's not destroy that future. There are solutions that don't include further ruination of the land.
If coal is ur livelihood

High Point, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 24, 2012

Judged:

Dont support/vote for Obama! If he gets reelected there will be no more coal mining!
D Hatfield

Belfry, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 24, 2012

Judged:

If coal is ur livelihood wrote:
Dont support/vote for Obama! If he gets reelected there will be no more coal mining!
That is the dumbest thing I have heard. Of course there will be coal mining if he gets re-elected. What will people do when the coal is gone?
wondering

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 26, 2012

Judged:

That is the problem with people around here. They are putting the blame where it doesn't belong. Lets just deal in facts not the crap the political parties are spouting....
1. When bush took office after Clinton he had...
A. A balanced budget.
B. a surplus in the treasury
C. A republican led congress
2. When Bush left office he left....
A. The economy in such a bad situation we were close to the biggest depression ever.( this by the way is the reason for the soft coal prices lately)
B. the financial system in the brink of collapse.
C. The country in a bad situation with foreign countries we were the laughing stock of the world.
D. Two wars at the same time 1 of them we had no business being in but he wanted to clean up the bad mark on his fathers presidency when he didn't take out Saddam in the gulf war.

Everyone one agrees the economy is dependent on different factors... The GNP , jobs, the housing market.

No one can turn all that around in 2 or 3 years it is impossible.

Obama wants to invest in clean coal technology so the Eastman the power plants and other businesses using coal can continue. He hasn't gotten a chance to do that because he has been fighting the fires Bush left. Give him a chance to finish what he says and if he doesn't do it then he will go down in history as the worse president ever.

If you vote for Romney you will definitely be unemployed because his policies follow Bush's with the exception of the Iraq war . And then the coal miners will definitely. No one is a miracle worker it took Bush 8 years to screw up the economy it can't be fixed overnight.
Blank

Big Stone Gap, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 28, 2012

Judged:

COALMINERS WIFE wrote:
im sure you was raised on a coal miners pay or your parents or grandparents and so on was.COAL IS WHAT FEEDS MU CHILDREN,PUTS CLOTHES ON THEIR BACK ETC GET A LIVE
When your children get cancer from drinking poisoned water from coal companies, then you cane tell THEM to get a life as they die!!! Moron....
Blank

Big Stone Gap, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 28, 2012

Judged:

Wrong "Hannity"..coal use is declining 10% per decade becasue private industries are turning to cleaner & cheaper natural gas, wind, solar, etc.
Just a thought

Belfry, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 28, 2012

Judged:

whatever wrote:
<quoted text> So I suppose your computer is powered by solar energy, your car runs on water and the fracking done by the natural gas companies is "A-OKAY"! Give me a break!!!! Lets see.... when YOUR KIDS get cancer it will be from the toxins released from the ground when the gas companies come in and frack and expose tiny molecules of dust and mold spores in the air! Give me a break, enough is enough!!!
A computer can run on solar power, and if your car was electric, and powered by a hydrogen fuel cell, it could run off water, or the hydrogen in that water. I agree with you about the way companies are getting the natural gas. We don't know enough about it at this time to know the long term effects. However it is cheaper and cleaner burning than coal. One the cost of a pipeline is covered, the cost of transportation is very small compared to the cost to transport coal. So it makes sense for a power company to want to use gas instead of coal. As for what happens to areas such as where I live, it is up to the people. Should we continue to not give our children a good education, and prepare them for tomorrow's world, we will become ghost towns, or very close to one. Change happens and those who adapt survive.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••