Barack Obama, our next President

"The road ahead will be long. Our climb will be steep," Obama cautioned. Young and charismatic but with little experience on the national level, Obama smashed through racial barriers and easily defeated ... Full Story
Homer

Bethlehem, PA

#703678 Aug 7, 2012
Gunner wrote:
<quoted text>
He may not yet be 50, but my guess is he's closer to the half century mark than he is 40.
I'll be 50 next year, big party at my house and you're all invited.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Grampy

South Windsor, CT

#703679 Aug 7, 2012
yepperz wrote:
<quoted text>
Huh??
Mitt Romney says a lawsuit filed by President Obama's campaign challenges voting privileges for the military
Former Democratic congressman John Boccieri of Alliance, a Lt. Col. in the U.S. Air Force Reserves, issued a statement that accused Republicans of distortion.
"This is about restoring equal and fair access to early voting and in no way asks for restrictions to voting," Boccieri said. "Anything said otherwise is completely false. Period. And as a member of the American Legion and a lifetime member of the AMVETS, I find these claims outrageous."
Indeed, Obama’s lawsuit clearly states that it seeks to permit all Ohioans - not just members of the U.S. military - to vote during the three days before the election, as was the case in 2008. The suit in no way suggests restricting early voting by members of the military.
It is simply dishonest for Romney and his backers to claim that Obama’s effort to extend early voting privileges to everyone in Ohio constitutes an attack on military voters’ ability to cast ballots on the weekend before elections.
We rate the claim False.
http://www.politifact.com/ohio/statements/201... -
http://votevets.org/homeromney/mitt-romney-sa...
For those Democrats planning to vote multiple times in the many precincts they are registered in those three extra days are very helpful. There is just so many places you can get to each day of early voting.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!

Since: Feb 10

ny ny

#703681 Aug 7, 2012
Why 2012 is not 1980

With Obama maintaining a small but persistent lead in national polls — and a seemingly larger one in key swing states — the Romney campaign has taken to comparing this race to the 1980 campaign, in which Jimmy Carter held a lead until voters swung sharply to Ronald Reagan in the final stretch.“Romney aides believe strongly that this race will play out like the 1980 campaign,” Byron York wrote recently.

This race will all but certainly tighten this fall, and it remains a toss up. But the comparison to 1980 struck me as flawed. I checked in with former Reagan adviser Ed Rollins, who worked communications on that campaign, and he agrees — there are very significant differences that make a last minute swing far less likely.

Reason one: Obama is a better and more likable politician than Jimmy Carter was, and Romney has not proven himself to be Ronald Reagan.

“There’s no question that on his best day, he’s not a Ronald Reagan,” Rollins said of Romney.“Traditionally incumbents don’t do as well in debates as challengers for the simple reason that challengers have to stand on the stage and look like an equal. Romney can do that, but Obama is good. He’s likeable. Carter was never likeable.”

“Romney is not proving yet that he has the solutions,” Rollins adds, noting that Carter had a very bad debate moment on nuclear proliferation. Obama is unlikely to make any major mistakes in the debates. Reagan hammered Carter for mismanaging the economy and national security; Obama is far harder to attack on the latter front.

Reason two: The electorate is far more polarized now. Rollins notes that a last-minute shift was enabled by the larger role Dem swing voters played at the time.“There was a big swing element in the Democratic Party — blue collar Democrats,” Rollins noted.“It’s smaller now.”

What’s more, this election will hinge heavily on base turnout, and the geographical area at play is far narrower than in 1980.“The battlefield is much smaller — it’s a totally different electorate,” Rollins says.

Reason three: Rollins notes that both campaigns — unlike in 1980 — will have all the resources they need, which limits the likelihood of a last minute swing and could reinforce the role of the base in the outcome.”Obama has put an enormous sum into building his infrastructure,” Rollins says.“With such a saturation in TV buying between now and the election, things aren’t going to break through.”

If Romney is to win, it will have to be “ground out” over time, Rollins says, adding that a last minute dramatic swing “is awful hard to envision.”

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/plum-line...

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!

ny ny

#703682 Aug 7, 2012
Grampy wrote:
<quoted text>
For those Democrats planning to vote multiple times in the many precincts they are registered in those three extra days are very helpful. There is just so many places you can get to each day of early voting.
In the land of topix wingnuts and the lies they tell, that might fly. Not in the real world..

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Homer

Bethlehem, PA

#703683 Aug 7, 2012
TheIndependentMajority wrote:
<quoted text>
Only Homer knows-records SEALED lol.
Yes, you are going to have to take my word for it ya backwood, country bumpkin, trailer dwelling, turnip picking, still tipping over, barefoot, cabbage patch, hillbilly hick.
Homer

Bethlehem, PA

#703684 Aug 7, 2012
Jane Says wrote:
<quoted text>Romney's trip was only disastrous in the minds of the liberal media, who coincidentally want Obama re-elected and NEVER had their eyes open regarding their LEG-TINGLING candidate known as-- The One.
Yes, Jane it was a great trip. Neo was The One, Homer has seen the Matrix.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
TheIndependentMa jority

Science Hill, KY

#703685 Aug 7, 2012
Homer wrote:
<quoted text>Did Clinton order the invasion/destruction/rebuildin g of Iraq?
Answer: no
Ya dummy.
Homer,

How many times do we have to go over this.

Had Saddam not invaded Kuwait, upon depletion and total destruction of his own countrys' sovereignty, and started that actual "playbook for war" front, thus then also involving allies such as us, Britian, France..etc., Kuwait having denied (and even blackballed) the "allied" offerings of those such as bin-Laden against Saddam, things might have been different.
Clintons era was more having to watch the PLO raising havoc on Israel..Somalia..and Bosnia (under NATO) and Kosovo..as well as few air missles landed on Saddams (there's THAT name again!!) head.

Are you 50 Homer? Inkquiring mind are wunduhring-they "alll" bundle lol.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
sonicfilter

Indianapolis, IN

#703686 Aug 7, 2012
"Interpretations of the Tea Party depend in part on how one feels about this constitutional idealism: is it an effective vehicle for persuasion, or is it an essentially nostalgic sensibility that detracts from the larger project of persuading democratic electorates to embrace libertarian policies?"

http://www.nationalreview.com/agenda/313241/d...

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Homer

Bethlehem, PA

#703687 Aug 7, 2012
Jane Says wrote:
<quoted text>Actually, Homer probably knows more about his barber or the coffee truck guy than what is real about The One. Their licenses with photo IDs are probably valid, social security numbers legally obtained, and I doubt if either went to school on a foreign student scholarship.
My barber IS the coffee truck guy, ya vile hatefull beast.

I wonder if John Adams showed his photo id when he voted. Do you think he had a picture of his likeness carved onto a piece of wood that he carried around? Something to ponder.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
TheIndependentMa jority

Science Hill, KY

#703688 Aug 7, 2012
yepperz wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah. And your opinion doesn't change the fact that Romney's a lying sack of shit, does it?
What else is new?
I wouldn't have any idea what Romney is lying or not lying about.

Just throwing out sandbox kindergarten level ugly names and accusations directed at people I do not know- is NOT a way I choose to live my life.

That ghetto-gutter level type garbage is for mindless, thoughtless loserTics.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
TheIndependentMa jority

Science Hill, KY

#703689 Aug 7, 2012
Homer wrote:
<quoted text>I'll be 50 next year, big party at my house and you're all invited.
Grab the canning jars and git 'em ready-speshull birfday present for Homer!!

Case of turnip juice LOL.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Jimmy

Newington, CT

#703690 Aug 7, 2012
yepperz wrote:
<quoted text>
In the meaningless "freak" infested land of topix wingnuts and the lies they tell, that might fly. In the real world not only is his statement true but as of 3 mos. ago it has been updated....
http://www.cbo.gov/sites/default/files/cbofil...
“CBO and JCT estimate that enacting both pieces of legislation—H.R. 3590 and the reconciliation proposal—would produce a net reduction in federal deficits of $143 billion over the 2010–2019 period as result of changes in direct spending and revenues.”
When Congressional Republicans sought to repeal the law, CBO found that eliminating the law would increase the deficit. CBO wrote:
“[T]he effect of H.R. 2 on federal deficits as a result of changes in direct spending and revenues is likely to be an increase in the vicinity of $230 billion, plus or minus the effects of technical and economic changes to CBO’s and JCT’s projections for that period.”
And just last month, in updating its estimates of key parts of the law, CBO estimated that the insurance coverage provisions of the health care law would, compared to last year’s estimates for the same time period, cost $50 billion less.
http://www.cbpp.org/cms/index.cfm...
Choke on it.
You are the Kool-Aid drinker choking on ignorance, libtard.

If you ever believed the government and the so-called non-partisan CBO, I have a bridge to sell you.

I know you don't want to hear the truth, but humor me for a moment and look at the link:

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/estimated-cos...

According to the latest estimates, President Obama’s health care law, also known as “Obamacare,” will cost around $2.6 trillion over the next 10 years, nearly $1.7 trillion more than Obama’s initial promise of $900 billion.

“Obamacare,” will cost around $2.6 trillion over the next 10 years, nearly $1.7 trillion more than Obama’s initial promise of $900 billion.

“Obamacare,” will cost around $2.6 trillion over the next 10 years, nearly $1.7 trillion more than Obama’s initial promise of $900 billion.

Homer

Bethlehem, PA

#703691 Aug 7, 2012
<quoted text>
Homer,
How many times do we have to go over this.
Had Saddam not invaded Kuwait, upon depletion and total destruction of his own countrys' sovereignty, and started that actual "playbook for war" front, thus then also involving allies such as us, Britian, France..etc., Kuwait having denied (and even blackballed) the "allied" offerings of those such as bin-Laden against Saddam, things might have been different.
Clintons era was more having to watch the PLO raising havoc on Israel..Somalia..and Bosnia (under NATO) and Kosovo..as well as few air missles landed on Saddams (there's THAT name again!!) head.
Are you 50 Homer? Inkquiring mind are wunduhring-they "alll" bundle lol.
Dear Dummy, I am talking about the 2003 invasion. Totally unnecessary. A perfectly aimed missile directly at Saddam's head would have kept the next guy in line perfectly in check.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
TheIndependentMa jority

Science Hill, KY

#703692 Aug 7, 2012
Homer wrote:
<quoted text>Yes, you are going to have to take my word for it ya backwood, country bumpkin, trailer dwelling, turnip picking, still tipping over, barefoot, cabbage patch, hillbilly hick.
Seven oughta eight.

Gives ya an 87.5 Homer lol.
sonicfilter

Indianapolis, IN

#703693 Aug 7, 2012
Tea Party Group Jokes About Beating Obama To Death

http://thinkprogress.org/election/2012/08/06/...

Kind of like Rush jokes about being a racist?

'I don't really mean like a liberal would take it, but you conservatives get the drift(wink, wink).'
Homer

Bethlehem, PA

#703694 Aug 7, 2012
yepperz wrote:
Why 2012 is not 1980
With Obama maintaining a small but persistent lead in national polls — and a seemingly larger one in key swing states — the Romney campaign has taken to comparing this race to the 1980 campaign, in which Jimmy Carter held a lead until voters swung sharply to Ronald Reagan in the final stretch.“Romney aides believe strongly that this race will play out like the 1980 campaign,” Byron York wrote recently.
This race will all but certainly tighten this fall, and it remains a toss up. But the comparison to 1980 struck me as flawed. I checked in with former Reagan adviser Ed Rollins, who worked communications on that campaign, and he agrees — there are very significant differences that make a last minute swing far less likely.
Reason one: Obama is a better and more likable politician than Jimmy Carter was, and Romney has not proven himself to be Ronald Reagan.
“There’s no question that on his best day, he’s not a Ronald Reagan,” Rollins said of Romney.“Traditionally incumbents don’t do as well in debates as challengers for the simple reason that challengers have to stand on the stage and look like an equal. Romney can do that, but Obama is good. He’s likeable. Carter was never likeable.”
“Romney is not proving yet that he has the solutions,” Rollins adds, noting that Carter had a very bad debate moment on nuclear proliferation. Obama is unlikely to make any major mistakes in the debates. Reagan hammered Carter for mismanaging the economy and national security; Obama is far harder to attack on the latter front.
Reason two: The electorate is far more polarized now. Rollins notes that a last-minute shift was enabled by the larger role Dem swing voters played at the time.“There was a big swing element in the Democratic Party — blue collar Democrats,” Rollins noted.“It’s smaller now.”
What’s more, this election will hinge heavily on base turnout, and the geographical area at play is far narrower than in 1980.“The battlefield is much smaller — it’s a totally different electorate,” Rollins says.
Reason three: Rollins notes that both campaigns — unlike in 1980 — will have all the resources they need, which limits the likelihood of a last minute swing and could reinforce the role of the base in the outcome.”Obama has put an enormous sum into building his infrastructure,” Rollins says.“With such a saturation in TV buying between now and the election, things aren’t going to break through.”
If Romney is to win, it will have to be “ground out” over time, Rollins says, adding that a last minute dramatic swing “is awful hard to envision.”
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/plum-line...
The demographics are different too, we are not as white as in 1980 and while racism is still alive and well in this country it is slowly dying. The Republicans for the most part are the party of white people.

Yes Carol you can did up your list of minorities in the Republican party if you must.
TheIndependentMa jority

Science Hill, KY

#703695 Aug 7, 2012
Homer wrote:
<quoted text>My barber IS the coffee truck guy, ya vile hatefull beast.
I wonder if John Adams showed his photo id when he voted. Do you think he had a picture of his likeness carved onto a piece of wood that he carried around? Something to ponder.
and we'd all still be clamouring in front of one radio per community trying to listen to the world news each evening as far as that goes Homer !

Geez.

ny ny

#703696 Aug 7, 2012
Jimmy wrote:
<quoted text>
You are the Kool-Aid drinker choking on ignorance, libtard.
If you ever believed the government and the so-called non-partisan CBO, I have a bridge to sell you.
I know you don't want to hear the truth, but humor me for a moment and look at the link:
http://www.theblaze.com/stories/estimated-cos...
According to the latest estimates, President Obama’s health care law, also known as “Obamacare,” will cost around $2.6 trillion over the next 10 years, nearly $1.7 trillion more than Obama’s initial promise of $900 billion.
Nice try Floriduh. Oompa loompa.

It's the culture.

ny ny

#703697 Aug 7, 2012
<quoted text>
I wouldn't have any idea what Romney is lying or not lying about.
Just throwing out sandbox kindergarten level ugly names and accusations directed at people I do not know- is NOT a way I choose to live my life.
That ghetto-gutter level type garbage is for mindless, thoughtless loserTics.
"I wouldn't have any idea what Romney is lying or not lying about".

Says it all. Perhaps you should look into it.
TheIndependentMa jority

Science Hill, KY

#703698 Aug 7, 2012
Homer wrote:
<quoted text>Dear Dummy, I am talking about the 2003 invasion. Totally unnecessary. A perfectly aimed missile directly at Saddam's head would have kept the next guy in line perfectly in check.
Iraq was NOT the starting puzzle piece starting then either Homer....but how obvioulsy they are all part of the big picture in the jigsaw of.
A recent newsclip--talking about stuff over there by the "road to Damascus"...
----------
But the lightly armed rebels have been outgunned by the Syrian army's superior weaponry. They were largely driven out of Damascus and are struggling to hold on to territorial gains made in Aleppo, a city of 2.5 million.

Damascus has criticized Gulf Arab states and Turkey for calling for the rebels to be armed, and state TV has described the rebels as "Turkish-Gulf militia," saying dead Turkish and Afghan fighters had been found in Aleppo.

Reuters, The Associated Press and NBC News staff. Syria premier defects to anti-Assad opposition, spokesman says. Wordlnews.NBC. 8/7/2012.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

2012 Presidential Election Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 4 min wojar 183,950
MSNBC's Rachel Maddow Can't Contain Excitement ... 1 hr Responsibility 96
Sarah Palin and her onetime fans on the right: ... 1 hr Responsibility 211
'Fox News Sunday' to Host Kentucky Senate Debate (Oct '10) 1 hr Jay 168,502
Mexico's Take Over Of California: Complete By 2... (Jun '09) 5 hr Larry 27,522
Obama's Right-Hand Woman Speaks Out (Aug '08) 6 hr Foresttoday 155
Rubio's trip west gains political allies but bl... 7 hr Le Duped 5
More from around the web