Why do Americans still dislike atheists?

Apr 30, 2011 | Posted by: Hedonist | Full story: www.washingtonpost.com

Long after blacks and Jews have made great strides, and even as homosexuals gain respect, acceptance and new rights, there is still a group that lots of Americans just don't like much: atheists.

Comments (Page 1,742)

Showing posts 34,821 - 34,840 of38,688
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:

“....hoist the Jolly Roger ”

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 15, 2012

try something realy shocking hold a lightbulb in yer mouth an stick yer prick in the socket, result should be illuminating, Bwa ha ha ha ha !
barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>
Right, another keyboard warrior. Take THAT! Slings from alias on a electronic forum.
Brave keyboard warrior! I'm so scared...

Since: Mar 09

Hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 15, 2012

Redoran wrote:
<quoted text>
Good for you that you are a roofer/handyman. You can take the panels off by yourself and reroof the entire roof all by yourself. That is really great for you as an individual who is highly skilled in the the roofing arts. What about the crippled/handicapped, those with fear of heights, those with NO DIY skills, or accountants who don't know a roof shingle from a Sharpie?
They can pay someone to do it. So what. I can't roof my house, but I can undo a screw. I could remove the panels BEFORE my house was reroofed was the point, not that I could roof my house.

if you can't, of course you have to pay someone to do it, but that is the labor involved in removing the panels? Not that much, not 8000.00. unless they are making more than 1K per hour.

Since: Mar 09

Hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 15, 2012

Redoran wrote:
<quoted text>
So how long do they last:
http://howsolarworks.1bog.org/solar-shingles/
I assumed you read your link... try reading it again for your answer.

Since: Feb 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 15, 2012

VinceP wrote:
Maybe I should run for president,If elected.
American isn't ready to elect a drunken drug abuser jailbird, especially one with a history of domestic violence.

Maybe you can get a radio talk show?

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 15, 2012

barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>
American isn't ready to elect a drunken drug abuser jailbird, especially one with a history of domestic violence.
Are you kidding me?

They already have do exactly that several times.

Since: Feb 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 15, 2012

CTEd wrote:
<quoted text>
BS.
Instead of passing the Bush tax cuts we could have outfitted 500 MILLION homes with solar panels over 10 years
If every penny that was "lost" on Bush's tax cut was spent on "solarization" of American homes, there would be enough to buy everyone a couple sidewalk lights.

Don't throw away the water heater just yet...

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 15, 2012

Three out of four of those qualifications would fit most Right Wing commentators today!
barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>

Since: Feb 10

Madisonville, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 15, 2012

barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>
What a freakin idiot you are drug abuse not on my list of charges, nor domestic,Penis wrinkle..Drinking yes i owned up too already,YOU petty thief drug dealer,I would give my left nut to put you in your place.Like in a planters jar ,because your a nut. or a dumpster in witch you came from.but would stand more of a chance of any office than you! YA damn goofy muslim ,so bring your holy book to me, am running short of shite paper.about all it`s worth.see if allah will prevail over a hillbilly with a running feud with your kind troll...

Madisonville, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 15, 2012

RHill wrote:
<quoted text>
Wow .. never heard of solar shingles! If they were cheap enough to do your whole roof, seems like you could live with a less than optimum angle and the cheaper "thin film" devices. Still need batteries, charger/regulators and inverters to fire up the flat screen! If you just used a such a system for "non-inductive" loads (basically things without motors) you could still save a lot of money. Not enough power to "get off the grid" or sell any back to 'em ... but enough for the system to pay for itself in several years.
I've always heard that "it is not good" to have part of your solar panel(s) in shade while the others are in direct sunlight. Throws things out of kilter and damages the panels. Never ran into the problem on the small systems I've dealt with but ... who knows. Maybe if you just put them on the south-facing side of your roof, that would be safe enough.
You know i have thought of this question ,nearby stream runs year round harnessing not a problem solar too expensive ,storing safely and effencient of hydroelectric problem ,capicitor , bypass of excess ,and gear reduction my issues,am puzzeled by what to do with more than normal usage,and upkeep of generation unit,afraid of overloading even with bypass or transfer switches,in the event of flash flood or severe weather?

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 15, 2012

Judged:

Vince P for president
Cpt sparrow for head of CIA
Barfus and Wolvie for Guantanamo

Madisonville, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 16, 2012

Cpt Jack Sparrow wrote:
Vince P for president
Sounds like a plan.lol Water boarding as new way for fixing stupid.

Madisonville, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 16, 2012

Cpt Jack Sparrow wrote:
Vince P for president
All fanatics sent to retraining camps,Iran ,Just give me the launch codes.. the rest of them will fall in line.lol or around the clock high altitude carpet bombing use dumb ammo cheaper,surround their boarders let none of them out a 500 pounder for every 1000 square ft tie barfus to the first one send him back home lol.Would be first reverse suicide bomber.

“Blue Collar Philosopher”

Since: Nov 08

Texas, USA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 16, 2012

VinceP wrote:
<quoted text>You know i have thought of this question ,nearby stream runs year round harnessing not a problem solar too expensive ,storing safely and effencient of hydroelectric problem ,capicitor , bypass of excess ,and gear reduction my issues,am puzzeled by what to do with more than normal usage,and upkeep of generation unit,afraid of overloading even with bypass or transfer switches,in the event of flash flood or severe weather?
Throw 'er outta gear and get to higher ground!

Texas, USA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 16, 2012

Redoran wrote:
<quoted text>
My questions: What is the initial installation cost (I am NO DIY)? How long will they function (I am not a millionaire)? If they last 10 years from now, what will the replacement cost be at that time, 2022 (I am not a millionaire)?
Sorry. This isn't really my line of work and it's all too rich for my blood. Thousands and thousands of dollars. For the Average Joe to invest in such a system probably would require some kind of grant or at least a tax break. Far as I know, silicon solar cells will keep working "forever" ... nothing is consumed in the transformation of light to electricity. The Sun will eventually "craze" (de-polymerize) most plastics reducing their ability to transmit light. The flexible version of these "solar shingles" by necessity involves plastics, in fact, anything "cheap" involves plastics. I notice they're not going out on any limbs with predictions on how long they'll last. I'd be surprised if the flexible versions outlived ordinary tar shingles. Glass and silicon, of course, does not suffer from this effect but remains susceptible to accumulations of grime and the occasional baseball. Do kids still play street baseball where you live? Big hail stones would probably pummel any solar plant into junk in short order. Like everything else, you get what you pay for.

Texas, USA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 16, 2012

Oh ... and while we're thinking about it ... "cheap plastics" come from oil and will become less cheap as oil prices spiral. Silicon, whether being formed into ordinary glass or photovoltaic cells requires large amounts of heat (read energy) to produce. It may take LOTS more energy to make a solar cell than the poor little thing can produce in many years of chugging out milli-amps of current @ half a volt apiece. We all already know about deficit spending ... same thing applies to energy budgets.

Texas, USA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 16, 2012

VinceP wrote:
<quoted text>You know i have thought of this question ,nearby stream runs year round harnessing not a problem solar too expensive ,storing safely and effencient of hydroelectric problem ,capicitor , bypass of excess ,and gear reduction my issues,am puzzeled by what to do with more than normal usage,and upkeep of generation unit,afraid of overloading even with bypass or transfer switches,in the event of flash flood or severe weather?
Sorry Vince ... not much time for a detailed answer, but getting useful power out of a "stream" is very problematic. Without a dam, you got no way to control the flow and without a way to control the flow you're basically looking at something that might could be used to (help) keep batteries charged or turn a wheel for grinding grain (but that's what the people without guns will be for).

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 16, 2012

like yer new icon Heh Heh Heh !
VinceP wrote:
<quoted text>Sounds like a plan.lol Water boarding as new way for fixing stupid.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 16, 2012

sounds like a plan ,HehHehHehHeh!
VinceP wrote:
<quoted text>All fanatics sent to retraining camps,Iran ,Just give me the launch codes.. the rest of them will fall in line.lol or around the clock high altitude carpet bombing use dumb ammo cheaper,surround their boarders let none of them out a 500 pounder for every 1000 square ft tie barfus to the first one send him back home lol.Would be first reverse suicide bomber.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 16, 2012

Cpt Jack Sparrow wrote:
Vince P for president
OMG you have my vote

Madisonville, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 16, 2012

Cpt Jack Sparrow wrote:
like yer new icon Heh Heh Heh !<quoted text>
Started to put one of the pics of down in the mines for icon,That one you cant hardly read what it say`s,It reads If you think you are hardcore welcome to Appalacia,lol

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 34,821 - 34,840 of38,688
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••
•••