Obama promises more than 600,000 stimulus jobs

Full story: Newsday

President Barack Obama promised Monday to deliver more than 600,000 jobs through his $787 billion stimulus plan this summer, with federal agencies pumping billions into public works projects, schools and summer youth programs.

Comments (Page 5,306)

Showing posts 106,101 - 106,120 of109,637
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
uIdiotRAcesMAkeW orldPeace

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 25, 2012

Two Cents wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm a supporter of both also, but the markets are not there yet. They want $12,500+ to make my home totally green on solar. It will take me 9 years to for the green to start paying off. The trouble is that the solar panel has a five year warranty. Spoke to some people who has a few panels and they said the epoxy starts breaking down around 8 years. Technology is not there yet. Great ideal, but Obama knows nothing about what's out there other than what his people tell him. If he tells you that you must put fuel injectors on your 1991 Chevy ton truck, you will quickly learn the fuel injector add on will cost more than the truck is worth. Let the markets decide.
I did it part of the work - cost for $4100 - break even in around 3 1/2 years - quality panels - asked for warranty - 15 years.
joe

San Rafael, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 25, 2012

Teddy R wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah, you're right, joe.
I stand duly chastized.
Let me modify my statement:
Exactly right. When it comes to civilian industry and technology the US federal government has the fecal touch - everything they touch usually turns to shyte.
With the added bonus that We the People then are forced to eat it ...
"We the people" is also the government. Why not follow the tenets of the Constitution to it's logical conclusion? The people IS the government, both elected, appointed and hired. Stop with the class warfare.
joe

San Rafael, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 25, 2012

Here are some numbers to gnaw on:

Annualized growth of federal spending:

Reagan '82-85: 8.7
Reagan '86-89: 4.9
Bush 1 '90-93: 5.4
Clinton '94-97: 3.2
Clinton '98-01: 3.9
Bush 2 '02-05: 7.3
Bush 2 '06-09: 8.1*
Obama '10-13: 1.4

* 2009 stimulas re-assigned to Obama
Teddy R

Seattle, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 25, 2012

joe wrote:
<quoted text>
"We the people" is also the government.
Rank nonsense.

The People is The People.

The US federal government is the US federal government.

Two very different things.
joe wrote:
<quoted text>Why not follow the tenets of the Constitution to it's logical conclusion? The people IS the government, both elected, appointed and hired. Stop with the class warfare.
More rank nonsense.

And class warfare?? If you refer to warfare against the permanent professional political classes that have usurped and subverted the federal government for their own personal wealth and power, you bet. Any American who is not participating in the war to wrest control of the federal government back out of the venal hands of the permanent professional political class is the enemy.
Teddy R

Seattle, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 25, 2012

okboston wrote:
<quoted text>
Nuclear power. Penicillin. Malaria. Panama Canal. 1800's RR system. Barge canal system. Interstate system........
Nuclear power - irretrievably farked up by the government - they picked the wrong reactor technology to promote as the basis of the civilian nuclear indistry in the US. They took a military naval reactor design and put it on skids at Shippingport PA.

Horrible mistake.

Penicillin. Discovered by a Scotsman. WTF does that have to do with the US federal government?

Malaria. Irrelevant to my post - a military, not civilian matter.

1800s RR system - we've covered this before. Built by private enterprise, not government.

Barge canals - again, private companies in most cases.

Interstate highways - Military, not civilian.

uIdiotRAcesMAkeW orldPeace

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 25, 2012

Judged:

BWHAHAHAHAHAHAaaaa No intellectual counters to my posts Teddyr? Not even peek from you, still wearing you tinfoil hat! WBHAHAHAHAHaaaaaaa
joe

San Rafael, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 25, 2012

Teddy R wrote:
<quoted text>
Rank nonsense.
The People is The People.
The US federal government is the US federal government.
Two very different things.
<quoted text>
More rank nonsense.
And class warfare?? If you refer to warfare against the permanent professional political classes that have usurped and subverted the federal government for their own personal wealth and power, you bet. Any American who is not participating in the war to wrest control of the federal government back out of the venal hands of the permanent professional political class is the enemy.
Whoa, dude. Lighten up on the kool-aide. You've become part of the "confused class". One of those who hates government but wants to elect "your own guy" to become part of the government.

Hilarious.

“Lying for the Lord”

Since: May 12

Heartland USA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 25, 2012

Jan. 4, 2009, Romney: "I think there is need for economic stimulus."
drinK the Hive

Anonymous Proxy

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 25, 2012

As My Friend Like' 2 Say - "Non Carburundum Illegitimatus."

(The Latin Add' A Nice Touch)...

http://www.youtube.com/watch...

Since: Aug 07

South Central Virginia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 25, 2012

Teddy R wrote:
<quoted text>
Nuclear power - irretrievably farked up by the government - they picked the wrong reactor technology to promote as the basis of the civilian nuclear indistry in the US. They took a military naval reactor design and put it on skids at Shippingport PA.
Horrible mistake.
Penicillin. Discovered by a Scotsman. WTF does that have to do with the US federal government?
1800s RR system - we've covered this before. Built by private enterprise, not government.
All subsidized by the government. Or even outright paid for by the government.

Malaria in not irrelevant. Malaria was a problem in the US going back to founding fathers.

Since: Aug 07

South Central Virginia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 25, 2012

Teddy R wrote:
<quoted text>
Horrible mistake.
Second from the bottom is a short history of it in the US.

http://www.malaria.com/overview/malaria-histo...
joe

San Rafael, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 25, 2012

Thought I'd re-post with a little spacing to make it more digestible, er... readable.

Annualized growth of federal spending:

Reagan 1982-85: 8.7%

Reagan 1986-89: 4.9

Bush I 1990-93: 5.4

Clinton 1994-97: 3.2

Clinton 1998-2001: 3.9

Bush II 2002-2005: 7.3

Bush II 2006-2009: 8.1*

Obama 2010-2013: 1.4

* 2009 stimulas re-assigned to Obama

Just love that Republican talking point about "Big Government"!
Teddy R

Oman

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 25, 2012

uIdiotRAcesMAkeWorldPeace wrote:
BWHAHAHAHAHAHAaaaa No intellectual counters to my posts Teddyr? Not even peek from you, still wearing you tinfoil hat! WBHAHAHAHAHaaaaaaa
No, uIdiot. Sorry. I discern no intellectual content in your posts, which makes any 'intellectual counter' to them moot.

I try not to respond to trolls like you as a general policy.
Teddy R

Oman

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 25, 2012

joe wrote:
<quoted text>
Whoa, dude. Lighten up on the kool-aide. You've become part of the "confused class". One of those who hates government but wants to elect "your own guy" to become part of the government.
Hilarious.
"Confused" is returning the same hacks to power in Washington term after term expecting a different result.

My, aren't we playing the "hater" card a little early? Now I know your Truth Squad training has you all wee-weed up with the need to demonize me to illegimize my views and legitimize your own, but you could be in for a long debate here, son - keep your Alinskyite powder dry. What's next - when will you be trotting out the "Racist" card, we wonder ...

I don't "hate" government. I just want the US federal government put back on its leash, cut back to historical fiscal and Constitutional limits, and returned to its mission of serving the People rather than the permanent professional political classes who now run it for their own benefit.

Elect "my own guy" to become part of the government? We may evolve to that point - that would be nice - but for the moment it's just a grinding ground game of voting out the career bums - of BOTH major parties - who are not by their ACTIONS producing smaller and less intrusive federal government.

joe

San Rafael, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 26, 2012

Teddy R wrote:
<quoted text>
"Confused" is returning the same hacks to power in Washington term after term expecting a different result.
My, aren't we playing the "hater" card a little early? Now I know your Truth Squad training has you all wee-weed up with the need to demonize me to illegimize my views and legitimize your own, but you could be in for a long debate here, son - keep your Alinskyite powder dry. What's next - when will you be trotting out the "Racist" card, we wonder ...
I don't "hate" government. I just want the US federal government put back on its leash, cut back to historical fiscal and Constitutional limits, and returned to its mission of serving the People rather than the permanent professional political classes who now run it for their own benefit.
Elect "my own guy" to become part of the government? We may evolve to that point - that would be nice - but for the moment it's just a grinding ground game of voting out the career bums - of BOTH major parties - who are not by their ACTIONS producing smaller and less intrusive federal government.
You got all your "new" anti-government clowns in on the last election. Aren't you happy with the results?

Nothing but a hayseed factory.
Teddy R

Oman

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 26, 2012

okboston wrote:
<quoted text>
Second from the bottom is a short history of it in the US.
http://www.malaria.com/overview/malaria-histo...
Promoting public health is a legitimate role for government.

So are subsidies to promote a proper public purpose.

Subsidies or direct federal government action to "pick winners," "stimulate" particular companies, industries or technologies are not.

These are usually bad policy, and produce bad unintended consequences.

These are best left to the crucible of private enterprise and the market to determine.

Your citing the rare cherry-picked exception of government intervention that did not produce disastrous consequences is pointless and does not disprove the general rule.

For every one of your exceptional 'lucky' cases, there are dozens of cases in which government produced poor results by meddling outside of their proer limits.
joe

San Rafael, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 26, 2012

John Boehner, spouting the Tea Party line on spending, recently said that he would insist that the deficit be cut by a dollar for every dollar increase in the debt limit, or else he would refuse to raise it, helping drive the country toward default.

"When the time comes, I will again insist on my simple principle of cuts and reforms greater than the debt limit increase," Boehner said.

"Dealing with our deficit and our debt would help create more economic growth in the United States," Boehner told George Stephanopolous Sunday on ABC's "This Week." "The issue is the debt."

Romney, however, said that pushing drastic spending cuts during shaky economic times is a prescription for "recession or depression."

Hilarious! Make up your half-a-mind, boys.
Teddy R

Oman

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 26, 2012

joe wrote:
<quoted text>
You got all your "new" anti-government clowns in on the last election. Aren't you happy with the results?
Nothing but a hayseed factory.
Any that don't perform and produce smaller, leaner, more focused and better-performing federal government within 18% of GDP and Constitutional limits, we throw out next cycle.

Rinse and repeat, until the permanent professional political class is no more, and monied interests realize it's not worth spending big money to buy politicians who won't be in power for 20 years any more.
Teddy R

Oman

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 26, 2012

joe wrote:
John Boehner, spouting the Tea Party line on spending, recently said that he would insist that the deficit be cut by a dollar for every dollar increase in the debt limit, or else he would refuse to raise it, helping drive the country toward default.
"When the time comes, I will again insist on my simple principle of cuts and reforms greater than the debt limit increase," Boehner said.
"Dealing with our deficit and our debt would help create more economic growth in the United States," Boehner told George Stephanopolous Sunday on ABC's "This Week." "The issue is the debt."
Romney, however, said that pushing drastic spending cuts during shaky economic times is a prescription for "recession or depression."
Hilarious! Make up your half-a-mind, boys.
Boehner is correct.

Provide your cite for the Romney quote. On what date did he make this statement?
Teddy R

Oman

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 26, 2012

Rasmussen's analysis is right on point here:

http://www.rasmussenreports.com/public_conten...

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 106,101 - 106,120 of109,637
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••
•••