White House in damage control over Obama Supreme Court remarks

Full story: Reuters

The White House was forced on the defensive on Wednesday as it sought to explain controversial remarks President Barack Obama made earlier in the week about the Supreme Court's review of his signature healthcare reform law.
Comments
1 - 20 of 494 Comments Last updated Apr 25, 2012
First Prev
of 25
Next Last
Moliner

Enterprise, AL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 4, 2012

Judged:

I think Obama has been spending too much time with Biden.

“Marble Man”

Since: Jul 11

Dallas, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 4, 2012

Judged:

Obama needs to understand why he has two eyes, two ears, and only one mouth.
CHECK SIX

North Port, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 4, 2012

Judged:

It Seems He His Listening to "JOE"!...They Complement each other that way!

“Try an take 'em ya Varmint”

Since: Jul 08

Rio Rancho

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 4, 2012

Judged:

Obama needs to understand that he is a Chicago thug on the national stage where his style of thinly vailed intimidation is neither welcome nor does it really scare anyone. He has 340 million of us watching him. Say BuBye Barack
Edgar

Spring, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 4, 2012

Judged:

A politician defending his signature plan.

HE'S TRYING TO SCARE US! HE'S TRYING TO SCARE US!
NEO-CONsumer

Denver, CO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 4, 2012

Judged:

General Robert E Lee wrote:
Obama needs to understand why he has two eyes, two ears, and only one mouth.
Awesome.

“Obama tells the right to...”

Since: Jun 07

shhhh... STFU, you lost...

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 4, 2012

Judged:

I love the fact that President Obama set the stage for the off chance that the right-wingers on the Supreme Court make a political decision and rule against any part of HCR… we got a sneak peak at how the wrong ruling will be framed during the campaign.
The Voice

Minneapolis, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 4, 2012

Judged:

Marine Corp Pat wrote:
I love the fact that President Obama set the stage for the off chance that the right-wingers on the Supreme Court make a political decision and rule against any part of HCR… we got a sneak peak at how the wrong ruling will be framed during the campaign.
I'm not sure if you're off topic or just off your rocker.

This topic is about ripping on judges because they weren't voted, and questioning their power.

and we already know what happens if this legislation is voted down. We go back to our prior status. It was horrible, but not as bad as it is under this horrible law. I've been in the medical business for 25 years, and it's gotten incredibly bad since this passed. I've never seen so many people suffer, and it's only going to get worse as the law gets fully implemented.
NEO-CONsumer

Denver, CO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 4, 2012

Judged:

Marine Corp Pat wrote:
You love that the POTUS lies? Any means to an end?

Go to Venzuela if that is what you like.
Joe

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 4, 2012

Judged:

Obama is such a dope. Constitutional Scholar my ass.

How did he ever even graduate? A first week law school student knows better.
Joe

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 4, 2012

Judged:

Marine Corp Pat wrote:
Good God man, google Marbury v Madison and read it. Then quit making such uneducated posts. This is first grade stuff and it's embarrasing that Obama doesn't know it.

“Truth to Power!”

Since: Apr 07

Wake Forest, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 4, 2012

Judged:

Joe wrote:
Obama is such a dope. Constitutional Scholar my ass.
How did he ever even graduate? A first week law school student knows better.

BINGO!

Obama is such a dumbarse.

“Truth to Power!”

Wake Forest, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 4, 2012

Judged:

Appeals court fires back at Obama's comments on health care case

By Jan Crawford
April 3, 2012

(CBS News) In the escalating battle between the administration and the judiciary, a federal appeals court apparently is calling the president's bluff -- ordering the Justice Department to answer by Thursday whether the Obama Administration believes that the courts have the right to strike down a federal law, according to a lawyer who was in the courtroom.

The order, by a three-judge panel of the U.S. Court of Appeals for the 5th Circuit, appears to be in direct response to the president's comments yesterday about the Supreme Court's review of the health care law. Mr. Obama all but threw down the gauntlet with the justices, saying he was "confident" the Court would not "take what would be an unprecedented, extraordinary step of overturning a law that was passed by a strong majority of a democratically elected Congress."

Overturning a law of course would not be unprecedented -- since the Supreme Court since 1803 has asserted the power to strike down laws it interprets as unconstitutional. The three-judge appellate court appears to be asking the administration to admit that basic premise -- despite the president's remarks that implied the contrary. The panel ordered the Justice Department to submit a three-page, single-spaced letter by noon Thursday addressing whether the Executive Branch believes courts have such power, the lawyer said.

The panel is hearing a separate challenge to the health care law by physician-owned hospitals. The issue arose when a lawyer for the Justice Department began arguing before the judges. Appeals Court Judge Jerry Smith immediately interrupted, asking if DOJ agreed that the judiciary could strike down an unconstitutional law.

The DOJ lawyer, Dana Lydia Kaersvang, answered yes -- and mentioned Marbury v. Madison, the landmark case that firmly established the principle of judicial review more than 200 years ago, according to the lawyer in the courtroom.

Smith then became "very stern," the source said, suggesting it wasn't clear whether the president believes such a right exists. The other two judges on the panel, Emilio Garza and Leslie Southwick--both Republican appointees--remained silent, the source said.

Smith, a Reagan appointee, went on to say that comments from the president and others in the Executive Branch indicate they believe judges don't have the power to review laws and strike those that are unconstitutional, specifically referencing Mr. Obama's comments yesterday about judges being an "unelected group of people."

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504564_162-574088...

“Truth to Power!”

Wake Forest, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 4, 2012

Judged:

Marine corp Pat = Poo poo splatter, caribou barnie, chicago guy, ex-gop con, and 10 other idiot aliases.

Just go away moron.

Marine Corp Pat wrote:

“Truth to Power!”

Wake Forest, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 4, 2012

Judged:

Another $17 trillion surprise found in Obamacare

April 4, 2012

Senate Republican staffers continue to look though the 2010 health care reform law to see what’s in it, and their latest discovery is a massive $17 trillion funding gap.

“The more we learn about the bill, the more we learn it is even more unaffordable than was suspected,” said Alabama Sen. Jeff Sessions, the Republicans’ budget chief in the Senate.

“The bill has to be removed from the books because we don’t have the money,” he said.

The hidden shortfall between new spending and new taxes was revealed just after Supreme Court justices grilled the law’s supporters about its compliance with the Constitution’s limits on government activity. If the court doesn’t strike down the law, it will force taxpayers to find another $17 trillion to pay for the increased spending.

The $17 trillion in extra promises was revealed by an analysis of the law’s long-term requirements. The additional obligations, when combined with existing Medicare and Medicaid funding shortfalls, leave taxpayers on the hook for an extra $82 trillion in health care obligations over the next 75 years.

The federal government has an additional $17 trillion unfunded gap in other obligations, including Social Security, bringing the total shortfall to $99 trillion.

That shortfall is different from existing debt. The federal government already owes $15 trillion in debt, including $5 trillion in funds borrowed during Obama’s term in office.

Read more: http://dailycaller.com/2012/03/30/another-17-...
DangerousRiteWin gCrusader

Atlanta, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 4, 2012

Judged:

Joe wrote:
<quoted text>
Good God man, google Marbury v Madison and read it. Then quit making such uneducated posts. This is first grade stuff and it's embarrasing that Obama doesn't know it.
Negroes should not speak ill of the Supremes, only GOP supremacists like Newt may:
"Newt Gingrich says he'd defy Supreme Court rulings he opposed"
December 17, 2011|By David G. Savage
http://articles.latimes.com/2011/dec/17/news/...

Atlanta, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 4, 2012

Judged:

Cravczec wrote:
Obama needs to understand that he is a Chicago thug on the national stage where his style of thinly vailed intimidation is neither welcome nor does it really scare anyone. He has 340 million of us watching him. Say BuBye Barack
GOP operatives support Obama:

Mark Levin's Men In Black: How the Supreme Court is Destroying America couldn't have arrived at a more timely fashion. Levin, a constitutional lawyer and conservative commentator explores the history of our Supreme Court and warns of the daunting path it has traveled. What was originally designed to be a check on the legislature's adherence to the Constitution, the Supreme Court has evolved into a machination of judicial activism to the likes of what our Founding Fathers could have never imagined when they created the least dangerous branch of the government.
http://aggressive-voice.com/zz653.html

“Try an take 'em ya Varmint”

Since: Jul 08

Rio Rancho

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 4, 2012

Judged:

Marine Corp Pat wrote:
Say Bubye to your Messiah Barack of Africa. He'll be moving back to Chicago. Maybe you should go there as well so you can be close to him and worship him.

Atlanta, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 4, 2012

Judged:

Moliner wrote:
I think Obama has been spending too much time with Biden.
Cry me a river, GOP crooks!

Judges as punching bags
Editorial
GOP presidential candidates' attacks on federal justices show a lack of respect for the Constitution.
http://articles.latimes.com/2011/nov/01/opini...

Atlanta, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 4, 2012

Judged:

The laughing liberal wrote:
Marine corp Pat = Poo poo splatter, caribou barnie, chicago guy, ex-gop con, and 10 other idiot aliases.
Just go away moron.
<quoted text>
Hypocrite crooks!

"GOP presidential candidates' attacks on federal justices show a lack of respect for the Constitution."
http://articles.latimes.com/2011/nov/01/opini...

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 25
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••