Villanova 67, Connecticut 65

Corey Stokes and Scottie Reynolds both scored 18 points and Villanova beat No. 13 Connecticut 67-65 on Saturday, snapping the Huskies' 10-game winning streak. Full Story
robo

Wallingford, CT

#1 Feb 23, 2008
I predict Thabeet will be NBA-bound at the end of this season. The NBA is the only place his awesome potential can be developed. Watching the UConn-Villanova game (on tv) Sat., it was evident Thabeet is a long, long way from maturity. No rap on Jim Calhoun but Thabeet needs the kind of coaching for big guys that is hallmark in the NBA. He could find that kind of coaching at the Spurs and Lakers. Good luck, kid.
gps

Bellows Falls, VT

#2 Feb 23, 2008
Agreed that Thabeet will be NBA bound, but he shouldn't be. He showed today why he should stay one more year.
The NBA has too much money and too little interest in their product to care about keeping him in college one more year, though. The NBA is ruining itself and college basketball by taking players too early and paying them boatloads of money for subpar play.
An interesting game--too bad they lost, but this one wasn't a terribly serious loss. Nova simply needed this one a lot more and played like it. I am glad that Robinson seemed on track, and Wiggins played great D against a really inspired Nova offense.
Looking forward to seeing Dyson again on Tuesday.
pahusky

AOL

#3 Feb 23, 2008
Just got back from the game. Tough loss but they came back from 15 points down and a 14-2 start. Lots of missed opportunities and a chance to win in the end, but this time it was not to be. Villanova and UConn always play good games at the Wachovia Center in Philly. Good to see so many UConn fans there.
pnete

AOL

#4 Feb 23, 2008
In the NCAA, where there is not consistancy in refereeing, coaching, players playing; there is one constant. If make your foul shots you win most of the time and when you miss your foul shots you lose most of the time. Adrien's foul shooting has been getting worse and worse each game and it finally caught up to the Huskies. Calhoun should employ a veriation of the Jamestown Colony which basically said if you don't work you don't eat. If you don't hit your fouls shots at over 70% you don't play. Otherwise heartbreaking close loses will become the norm. A short low post player who can't hit foul shots is a recipe for defeat. It's that simple. All the effort in the world is negated at the free throw line. There's no good guy here, no bad guy. Just points left on the line.
an observer

Colchester, CT

#5 Feb 23, 2008
robo wrote:
I predict Thabeet will be NBA-bound at the end of this season. The NBA is the only place his awesome potential can be developed. Watching the UConn-Villanova game (on tv) Sat., it was evident Thabeet is a long, long way from maturity. No rap on Jim Calhoun but Thabeet needs the kind of coaching for big guys that is hallmark in the NBA. He could find that kind of coaching at the Spurs and Lakers. Good luck, kid.
Guys really develop well on the bench.
johnW

Marietta, GA

#6 Feb 23, 2008
this game should bring UCONN back down to earth a little. they are a good team that was on a good roll. they need to regroup and get ready for the big east tourney and the NCAA'S
airforceleo1962

Phoenix, AZ

#7 Feb 23, 2008
UCONN did not play all that well today, but did not play badly either. Sooner or later another loss was coming.

At 16-5 & 10 games remaining I predicted 23-8 or 24-7. They should end-up a better than that.

Bottom Line: Free Throws lost the Villanova Game, PERIOD!

Since: Dec 07

United States

#8 Feb 23, 2008
Huge win for 'Nova. Keeps the tourney hopes alive.
Rich

East Hartford, CT

#9 Feb 23, 2008
Tough loss, but not without a fight. Villanova's record does not represent the team very well. They are deep when healthy and Reynolds is a superstar.

Robinson's put back was amazing. I rewound it and watched it in slow motion twice.

Again, the Huskies have problems playing a full 40 minutes and dug themselves into a hole. The lack of depth I'm sure is starting to have it's effect on the players. Winning streaks don't get any easier to sustain when your short handed. However, the problems seem to be mental as the scoring droughts are taking place in the first half when their legs are fresh. The lack of an outside threat is not allowing the bigs to take control from the opening tip.
Kielbasa

Meriden, CT

#10 Feb 23, 2008
I agree. Free throws lost this game! But also the team look flat and too laid back. They only seem to play hard at certain times. They are not doing it for 40 minutes. They really put themselves in these situations because they don;t play hard all the time. Also, what happened to pushing the ball up the floor? There were 4 or 5 situations where they should have been doing that.

This team is good, but not that good..... yet! Everyone on this team needs another year for this team to be very good. Thabeet is (NOT) ready for the pros. He needs to develope at least 25% more to play in the pros. He is one that looked very slow today.

What this team has done already this year is an extra. Next year will tell everything. If they do not do it next year, it will be a while before they do.
Bob Stanley

Vero Beach, FL

#11 Feb 23, 2008
You can't fall back by 10 or 15 points each game and expect to consistently win.

Thabeet definitely should have drilled that rebound home instead of kicking it out.
Smitty

Woodbury, CT

#12 Feb 23, 2008
Free throw shooting didn;t lose this game. Uconn averages 71% today they shot 68%. Adrien averages 60% today he hit 50%. Perimeter defense i.e giving up 45% from 3 point land lost this game.
AGAIN

Guilford, CT

#13 Feb 23, 2008
I didnt see any ZONE DEFENCE today??
UCONN GOT OUT COACHED TODAY!!
"SHOULD NOT OF LOST THIS GAME TODAY"
pnete

AOL

#14 Feb 23, 2008
Smitty wrote:
Free throw shooting didn;t lose this game. Uconn averages 71% today they shot 68%. Adrien averages 60% today he hit 50%. Perimeter defense i.e giving up 45% from 3 point land lost this game.
If Uconn hit 75% of its free throws for the season, it might only have one loss. That's why you push the ball inside to get to the line. If you build your team around the inside post game you need to hit the foul shots because your not taking the 3's. The idea is that the legs tire in the last quarter and the 3's miss. But foul shots are unguarded.
JE DBX

Gaithersburg, MD

#15 Feb 23, 2008
Getting picky: What the hell is Doug Wiggins doing pulling away when Nova grabbed the long rebound?!? That lost about 1.5 seconds until somebody else fouled!
keith

Baltimore, MD

#16 Feb 23, 2008
they're playing down to other teams, there's no way around that. however what killed them today was their inability to adjust to the high screen that constantly led to 3 point shots. they ran that damn play at least six times (to success).
airforceleo1962

Phoenix, AZ

#17 Feb 23, 2008
Smitty..........Go get you glasses checked or better get some glasses. The 1 miss by Price late & the 4 or so by missed by Adrien contributed to this loss. You said Adrien averages 60% today he hit 50%. Gee, maybe if he hit 3 more, we win?

pnete..........Good take. Free throws are unguarded & should be made at least by a 70% rate.
Cats 85

Riverside, NJ

#18 Feb 23, 2008
GO CATS !!!

“We all should just get along!”

Since: Jan 08

St Charles, Illinois

#19 Feb 23, 2008
The cats scratched out a win. It was pretty obvious this was coming sooner or later close wins become close losses. They need to build a margin for error. When Price missed the first of two at the end of the game I new the streak was snapped. Had he made it, it could have gone to overtime. Glad it is over now you move on and win what's left. this is still a very good season for the Huskies!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Villanova Wildcats NCAA Basketball Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Villanova all but punches ticket to NCAA tourna... (Mar '13) Mar '13 B money 1
College Hoops Team of the Week: Villanova Wildcats (Jan '13) Jan '13 Chucky Chuck Rock... 1
Villanova (Jan '13) Jan '13 inklink 1
College Basketball Recruiting: Amile Jefferson ... (Mar '12) May '12 Fox Hunter 2
Chambers changes the hoops culture at PSU (Nov '11) Nov '11 ems 1
UTEP's Randy Culpepper gets honorable mention o... (Mar '10) Jun '11 Wildcat 14
I need Final Four tickets for Houston...Help!! (Mar '11) Mar '11 davidd12 1
•••
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••

Villanova Wildcats NCAA Basketball People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••