College football: Oregon soars after early season troubles | Bu...

Full story: Columbus Dispatch

Oregon's mascot is hoisted above celebrating fans and players after a win 37-33 win over Oregon State on Thursday that clinched the team's first Rose Bowl appearance since 1995.

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 20 of92
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Cleaves

Curitiba, Brazil

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 9, 2009

Judged:

Good luck and good health to both teams. On paper, the Rose Bowl appears to have the makings of a great game! I think OSU will play in a much less conservative manner this post-season and that many viewers who have a preconceived idea of "Tresselball" will be surprised by what they see. I just hope the officiating crew does not try to take over the outcome of the game, as we have seen from time to time this season.

Go Bucks!
Dannawally

Maumee, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 9, 2009

Judged:

I just hope Ohio State can get Nike to design them another wild uniform for the Rose Bowl; something to at least match the Duck's clown suits.
jamesnvegas

Las Vegas, NV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 9, 2009

Preparing for Oregon will be a challenge in itself because their spread option offense is executed so well by Masoli with his ability to both pass and run. But the real difference in the game might be the return of LaGarrette Blount. While LB was away his starting spot was taken by LaMichael James, the smallish back who went on to set a Pac-10 freshman rushing record, gaining almost 1500 yards and scoring 14 touchdowns. Now with the return of Blount Oregon's running attack takes on a different dimension.

But OSU will probably be ready. Stanford proved that a disciplined defense can at least slow Oregon's offense. The Buckeyes will need to put up points to stay in the game which they should be able to do against the Duck's defense.

Oregon 31
OSU 21
Reese

Atlanta, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 9, 2009

According to the so-called experts at ESPN and Fox Sports, Ohio St doesnt have a chance against Oregon. They keep talking about Ohio State's lack of offense. The media would love to see Ohio St get beat on the National stage again. Not so fast my friend.... Ohio State's defense will keep the Ducks from scoring more than 20 points. The Ohio St defense will be able to move against Oregon's defense and score just enough to win. 24-20, Ohio State will win. Tressel ball will work perfectly for this game if exectuted properly. It will be about ball control and keeping the Oregon offense off the field.
Greg

Houston, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 9, 2009

Judged:

It's been great to be a Buckeye the last 5 years but we've had our disappointments. For me the loss to Florida and the two USC losses top the list. In NO way was Florida that much better of a team...they were that night but it shouldn't have happened. Although USC was the better team in 2008...in NO way 35-3 better! But I think the loss that stings the most is this year's to USC. They were NOT the better team by a long shot and the team didn't get the job done when they had the chance to gain nationally respectability FINALLY! We got the Michigan monkey off our back from the 90's. It's time this team and coaching staff get the job done on a nationally level again. They do have the talent and ability to win it.

Since: Oct 09

Akron, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 9, 2009

Reese wrote:
According to the so-called experts at ESPN and Fox Sports, Ohio St doesnt have a chance against Oregon. They keep talking about Ohio State's lack of offense. The media would love to see Ohio St get beat on the National stage again. Not so fast my friend.... Ohio State's defense will keep the Ducks from scoring more than 20 points. The Ohio St defense will be able to move against Oregon's defense and score just enough to win. 24-20, Ohio State will win. Tressel ball will work perfectly for this game if exectuted properly. It will be about ball control and keeping the Oregon offense off the field.
On the money Mr. Reese! Control and run the ball and with our defense we win by 7 points or so! A WIN that is all I want!!!
Dude

Charlotte, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 9, 2009

BuckeyeZman wrote:
<quoted text>
On the money Mr. Reese! Control and run the ball and with our defense we win by 7 points or so! A WIN that is all I want!!!
I'm with you guys....The Duck fans are believing all this trash being published
by the Media. Betcha the coaching staff isn't.

Won't the Quackers be suprised when we show up for the game? They
actually believe we'll be push overs.

What I'll like is when Mark May(s)(ESPN) will have to say something nice about us.
Jim Treesle

South Gate, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 9, 2009

Kelly is a sellout for reinstating the disgraced thug, Blount. Would you have reinstated Ralph Decker after his sucker punch that ended Tyler Moeller's season and possibly career? I doubt it. Guys like that don't deserve the honor of representing a university.

Since: Nov 09

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 9, 2009

The Buckeyes certainly have the ability to pull this off. The question is will they show up ready to play and execute well. With the balanced attack that they are capable of the Offense should be able to score plenty of points. We just haven't seen much of that this season as the run game worked pretty well for them. I'm looking for more T-Ball with a few new wrinkles mixed in to keep the Ducks D off balance. Even so, I'm thinking the final score will be less than a TD apart.

I'm sure that every member of the team fully knows that there is much more than just a Rose Bowl win at stake here.

GO BUCKS!!!!!
Duck in Portland

Portland, OR

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 9, 2009

jamesnvegas wrote:
Preparing for Oregon will be a challenge in itself because their spread option offense is executed so well by Masoli with his ability to both pass and run. But the real difference in the game might be the return of LaGarrette Blount. While LB was away his starting spot was taken by LaMichael James, the smallish back who went on to set a Pac-10 freshman rushing record, gaining almost 1500 yards and scoring 14 touchdowns. Now with the return of Blount Oregon's running attack takes on a different dimension.
But OSU will probably be ready. Stanford proved that a disciplined defense can at least slow Oregon's offense. The Buckeyes will need to put up points to stay in the game which they should be able to do against the Duck's defense.
Oregon 31
OSU 21
Oregon had over 500 yards of offense against Stanford, it wasn't the offense that was the problem. It was trying to stop the 17th ranked offense who was clicking on all cylinders.

I have said this several times now, you can't just come in and run against oregon. TP will have to be able to pass the ball as well. Do you think stanford just ran the ball midwest style? nope.....Harbaugh played with a west coast mentality and kept the pressure on. Can Tress and TP do this? IF your offense can keep some drives going it will be a good game, if not..........
MisterTOO

Aurora, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 9, 2009

Judged:

Duck in Portland wrote:
<quoted text>
Oregon had over 500 yards of offense against Stanford, it wasn't the offense that was the problem. It was trying to stop the 17th ranked offense who was clicking on all cylinders.
I have said this several times now, you can't just come in and run against oregon. TP will have to be able to pass the ball as well. Do you think stanford just ran the ball midwest style? nope.....Harbaugh played with a west coast mentality and kept the pressure on. Can Tress and TP do this? IF your offense can keep some drives going it will be a good game, if not..........
These A wipes just don't understand great offense. Why would they, never had one. You think Everytime they do face an offense like the Ducks, they lose. After the Texas game, these acorn fools will be saying "if it wasn't for this or that, we would have won? DUH! Hey nuthead you just lost another bowl game."

It's not a secret that the Ducks will need to stop the run and make that phony fraud they call a QB beat us with his rubber arm. This game will be no different a win for the Ducks then any of the others. Speed, fast pace, no huddle, no punts on 4th down and no field goals. Unlike the PAC 10 and SEC, they don't have the stamina to keep up. Exhaust them to the point they will be sucking air. Float like a butterfly and sting like a bee.
DougB

Prescott, AZ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 9, 2009

Judged:

Masoli is just another Corby Jones. Remember him? Didn't think so.
He was QB at Missouri awhile back and was tearing up the Big 12 with his running / passing. He went crazy against the Buckeyes the first quarter. Then he was trying to run around the corner when Katzenmoyer totally blasted him. He was in a daze the rest of the game and panicked every time any defender got near him. And Ohio St blew them out as they never scored after the first quarter.
Same thing will happen in the Rose Bowl.
DieganBuck

Escondido, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 9, 2009

The Ducks are very, very careless with the football from what I have seen of them (23 fumbles with 14 lost ones). You turn it over to a Tressel team and you will not have much time left for your offense to do much.

My two cents.

Since: Oct 09

Ashburn, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 9, 2009

With the long lay off for both squads, I see Oregon getting slower and Ohio States Offense gelling even more. Go Bucks!
Cleaves

Curitiba, Brazil

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 9, 2009

MisterTOO wrote:
<quoted text>
... the Ducks ... Speed, fast pace, no huddle, no punts on 4th down and no field goals. Unlike the PAC 10 and SEC, they (OSU won't) don't have the stamina to keep up. Exhaust them to the point they will be sucking air....
You may be overlooking one important fact: OSU has been rotating about 20 different defenders, without loss of efficiency, this season. An offense will wear out before the Buckeye defense does.
bob walter

Portland, OR

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 9, 2009

all you buckeyes haven't seen anything like this
offense, it is efficient and they never quit coming.

it will be a good game, but if you want to win it,
you had better score 40 or forget it.

oregon will be ready, they are not in awe.

have overcame many things this year and were ranked high with high expectations in preseason.
one game was wrong and they came back against some very strong teams. check out where oregons opponents were ranked nationally all year. most in the top 35
Chunon

Cincinnati, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 9, 2009

bob walter wrote:
all you buckeyes haven't seen anything like this
offense, it is efficient and they never quit coming.
it will be a good game, but if you want to win it,
you had better score 40 or forget it.
oregon will be ready, they are not in awe.
have overcame many things this year and were ranked high with high expectations in preseason.
one game was wrong and they came back against some very strong teams. check out where oregons opponents were ranked nationally all year. most in the top 35
I have no doubt Oregon has a great offense but I think all of you Duck fans are assuming you will just roll over Ohio State with no resistance what so ever. Bad assumption. No way Oregon scores forty I say mid twenties. I think its going to be a great game.
UpNorthBuckeye

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 9, 2009

Judged:

This game will shape up like the Alamo Bowl of a few years ago (I hope).

Ok State was a scoring machine, running the ball all over the place. coached by Les Miles.

The game was an embarassment, when midwest defense hit the west coast style it wasn't even close. I don't think it will be quite that much of a blowout but I would predict...

Ohio State 30, Oregon 16.
Duck in Portland

Portland, OR

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 9, 2009

Chunon wrote:
<quoted text>
I have no doubt Oregon has a great offense but I think all of you Duck fans are assuming you will just roll over Ohio State with no resistance what so ever. Bad assumption. No way Oregon scores forty I say mid twenties. I think its going to be a great game.
I for one don't think Oregon will score 40 but I think they will score between 32-37 and will win the Rose Bowl.....
bob walter

Portland, OR

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 9, 2009

let's just go bowling, we have respect, all i said was it was going to be a good game, clearly whoever scopres 40 will win

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 20 of92
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••
•••
•••
•••