Terps waiting on bowl invite

Full story: Baltimore Sun

Besides grading the tapes of Saturday's game with North Carolina State, Maryland football coach Ralph Friedgen was able to sit back in his office yesterday and do something few thought he would have to do a ...
Comments
1 - 9 of 9 Comments Last updated Nov 26, 2007

Since: Sep 07

Jefferson, MD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 26, 2007

Dear Ralph, I know you love the Terps and I think you are just great....however there is this disaster just a few miles up the road from College Park.
There is this town called Baltimore that has a football team sorely in need of Coaching.
They are called the Ravens probably due to the circling black birds overhead whenever the "team" takes the field.
The pay would be better the challenge even greater.
You would almost be assured of a top five draft pick next April.
The present Coach is a master hypnotist who has entranced the owner and himself into a delusion that a good defense and awful offense will win games.
The train wreck of a season may be enough to finally break the trance.
It will be tough overcoming the lack of discipline, they have none at present, and you'd have at least three years to rebuild because the numbness from trauma inflicted this years upon fans will probably last that long before you'd have to be winning.
Please consider the job.
Thank you,
a desperate Ravens fan.
BigHerb

Niceville, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 26, 2007

Oh, the what if's of a football season. What if QB Turner had been the starter from the beginning? What if the many injuries had not happened or at least not been so severe to key players? What if one or two calls went our way? It is marvelous to speculate on what might have been but reality is the real what if. Our 6 & 6 season is exceptional in light of all the opposites of the what ifs listed above. Ralph has done a great coaching job and the kids have done themselves proud, I couldn't be more proud of them no matter what. So, lets go to whatever Bowl game wants us and show the collegiate world whats coming next year. A TERP fan since 1950.
Southern MD Joe

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 26, 2007

I tried to tell you last week.The Terps Bowl babyyyyyyyyyyy.
Southern MD Joe

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 26, 2007

I tried to tell you last week.The Terps Bowl babyyyyyyyyyyy.PleaseLeave our Ralph alone.He's signed for the Turtles for lifeeeeeeeeeeee.
schlomo

Parkton, MD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 26, 2007

Bowl update. I heard San Francisco (Emerald Bowl) is out. They took Georgia Tech. It's now down to Boise for the Terps. Cold and rural, but still a bowl (Probably against Boise State, a good football team!)
Charles Owen

Baltimore, MD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 26, 2007

I haven't heard any official announcement on the Emerald Bowl or any of the other bowls in question.
I think Maryland is either headed to the Emerald or the Meinecke. Read below from the Emerald Bowl director. That doesn't sound good for Georgia Tech.
Emerald Bowl executive director Gary Cavalli said Sunday uncertainty about a coach, or a coaching change, makes a team less attractive to a bowl.
"I would hope he is retained," Cavalli said of Gailey. "I think from a bowl perspective, without commenting specifically on the Georgia Tech situation, uncertainly about the coaching situation is not a good thing. It would be in Georgia Tech's interest to get it resolved as quickly as possible. My hope would be they announce they will keep him and everybody would go on with their business."
What if Gailey is fired and an interim coach is named for the bowl game?
"That's not your ideal scenario, let's put it that way," Cavalli said.
Cavalli said his bowl also is considering Florida State and Maryland and probably would not make an announcement before next Sunday.
bernie

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 26, 2007

hey ralph...how about playing NAVY
in the bowl in which they are already
scheduled???

it would be good for the State and
good for both teams
think about it!!!
schlomo

Parkton, MD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 26, 2007

Charles Owen wrote:
I haven't heard any official announcement on the Emerald Bowl or any of the other bowls in question.
I think Maryland is either headed to the Emerald or the Meinecke. Read below from the Emerald Bowl director. That doesn't sound good for Georgia Tech.
Emerald Bowl executive director Gary Cavalli said Sunday uncertainty about a coach, or a coaching change, makes a team less attractive to a bowl.
"I would hope he is retained," Cavalli said of Gailey. "I think from a bowl perspective, without commenting specifically on the Georgia Tech situation, uncertainly about the coaching situation is not a good thing. It would be in Georgia Tech's interest to get it resolved as quickly as possible. My hope would be they announce they will keep him and everybody would go on with their business."
What if Gailey is fired and an interim coach is named for the bowl game?
"That's not your ideal scenario, let's put it that way," Cavalli said.
Cavalli said his bowl also is considering Florida State and Maryland and probably would not make an announcement before next Sunday.
I hope you are right. San Francisco sounds better for the team (and fans). I read this on CBS Sportsline today - "It wasn't immediately clear who would coach Georgia Tech in its expected trip to the Emerald Bowl in San Francisco." but it would not surprise me if they jumped the gun at CBS. Thanks for the info.!
Charles Owen

Baltimore, MD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 26, 2007

It intrigues me that Maryland has been talking a lot with the Meinecke bowl reps.

I think that's really the best scenario for us because it's in Charlotte, NC.

The least attractive option I think is the Boise Bowl. Plus, I'm not too thrilled about the prospect of playing Boise St on their home field.

Right now I think a lot of lobbying is going on between AD's at ACC schools and the various bowl reps.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

North Carolina State Wolfpack NCAA Football Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
N.C. State asks if `Toughie' wolf logo is used ... (Jun '07) Nov '13 Tar Heel IP 49
whos the mext coach? (Nov '12) Nov '12 JayWalk 1
UVA Ends Losing Streak; Beats NC State 33-6 - N... (Nov '12) Nov '12 Reason 3
Junior Lineman Taking Trips (Oct '12) Oct '12 BillP 1
NC State stuns No. 3 Florida State 17-16 (Oct '12) Oct '12 BigDan 1
Morris leads Miami to 44-37 win over N.C. State (Sep '12) Sep '12 Canes R Able 4
Abrams (Jul '12) Jul '12 Mike 1
•••
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••

North Carolina State Wolfpack NCAA Football People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••