in My Opinion: The Lowe point: Leadership void sinks Pack's season

Mar 14, 2008 Full story: Charlotte.com

“I didn't think Gavin was playing well”

N.C. State did something notable this season. The Wolfpack added a player better than anyone else it had and managed to get worse.

A lot worse.

The Wolfpack disintegrated one last time Thursday in the first round of the ACC tournament, losing to Miami 63-50 in Bobcats Arena. It was the ninth straight loss for N.C. State, which was picked to finish third in the ACC in the preseason but ended up dead last.

Whose fault was it?

That's a complicated question. Much of the answer has to do with N.C. State coach Sidney Lowe. Read more

Full Story
pat

Winston Salem, NC

#1 Mar 15, 2008
It's interesting that one of the program's bugaboos since the end of the Valvano era has been its inability to garner big-time recruits. It's hard to beat the Dukes and Carolinas of the world without the horses. So, Sid and staff go out and garner a McDonald's All-American who actually fits the billing (are you listening, Damien Wilkins?) and is a substantial,productive presence. An ensuing twenty win season and an NCAA appearance,right? Of course not, virtually every player on the roster regresses and Hickson's success becomes a sort of straw man for the team's ineptitude.
The lesson to be learned for Lowe and staff would seem to be that whatever you do, don't recruit any more high-caliber talent. We need more Gaineys, Grundys, Millers, Inges, Evtimovs and none, absoulutely none of those Brands, Battiers, Hansbroughs, Carters, Pauls or Stackhouses.
Rob

Richmond, VA

#2 Mar 16, 2008
Agreed. Get Wolfpack players; ignore Duke, UNC, and even Wake.

But if anyone thinks Sidney was THE problem on this team, has a very myopic view of this past season.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

North Carolina State Wolfpack NCAA Basketball Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Martin: "It's About Competition" (May '13) May '13 Dr Stinko 1
UVA Will Face NC State In ACC Second Round (Mar '13) Mar '13 Walose 1
NC State Men's Basketball Travels To Georgia Te... (Mar '13) Mar '13 Dennis DeBrew 1
Seminoles fall on road to N.C. State (Feb '13) Feb '13 Truett Rumfelt 1
To foul or not to foul: Execution more importan... (Feb '13) Feb '13 Dennis 1
UVA Will Play NC State In ACC Tournament - NBC2... (Mar '12) Mar '12 Walose 1
#19 UVA Hoops Holds Off NC State 61-60 - NBC29 ... (Jan '12) Jan '12 GREENE COUNTY 1
More from around the web