Wolves select points guards Ricky Rubio and Jonny Flynn

Full story: TwinCities.com

Not only did the Timberwolves get Spanish point guard Ricky Rubio in tonight's NBA draft, they didn't even have to trade up in the first round to get him.
Comments
41 - 50 of 50 Comments Last updated Jun 26, 2009
First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Little Jerry Seinfeld

Rockwell City, IA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 26, 2009

Judged:

I didn't realize we had 35 or so NBA ready GM's here to weigh in. Anyone who declares an absolute bust, disaster or second coming within 12 hours of the draft sounds like a complete fool. How many of you have really scouted Flynn, Curry or any other of these players?
Also, we are at rock bottom. Take what you to see to be the best talent and or value because position doesn't matter at this point. The wolves need talent and may have to be more creative than just making picks to get it.
fmc651

Onalaska, WI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 26, 2009

Judged:

Just a very poor organization from the owner on down.
JPA

Albuquerque, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 26, 2009

Judged:

Twolves blew it big time, could have traded the 6th pick to the knicks and picked up Flynn at 8 and another player or pick, because the knicks wanted Curry. Since they took Rubio should've swap with the knicks and took Derosan @ 8 , then used 18 on Lawson in case Rubio go back to Spain. Package 28 and 29 from the Knicks for 20 to get BJ Mullins (7ft center).Twolves will not make the playoffs for the next 5-7years, unless something major happens.
Sha Sha

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 26, 2009

Judged:

From what I've read, the Wolves traded the #18 pick for a top 16 protected pick next year. Huh? I'm not a mathematician, but how is that a good deal?

They should have packaged #18 and #28 to move up to #14 and get Earl Clark.
Redbird

Chesterfield, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 26, 2009

Both RR and Flynn are solid picks. RR is not going to be here next year, and at 18 how effective could he be. Give him a couple of years to develop and bring him in as a combo guard, at his size he can match with the 2 guards in the league. Flynn is a true point guard and will get minutes right away. some people think Ellington is as good a shooter as Curry, but at UNC he had to take a back seat to Lawson and Hansbrough. Curry was the whole team at Davidson.
Grant

Saint Paul, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 26, 2009

John wrote:
<quoted text>
Flynn is a shooting guard? He is 5'11! You want to see the 2 of them on the floor together? Who is going to guard a 6'6 wing?
You have a rare opportunity where you have the 5th and 6th pick, and can possibly fill 2 spots in your line up and the wolves blew it.
I didnt say Flynn is a shooting guard. I said, he is more of a "shooting point guard". It is a stupid thing to take 2 point guards, but they would be fools to pass up Rubio, and if he decides to stay in Europe, then we still need a PG now we have flynn. I doubt we see them both on the floor together, but if we do, I think it would be fun.

Im just happy to see Foye gone, anything is better than him... I dont care what you say.
toivo 2 feathers

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 26, 2009

Judged:

you pass on the best shooting guard in the draft and pick a dumb spaniard who thinks the wolves play outside in the winter?
Not impressed

Minneapolis, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 26, 2009

Judged:

For a team that needed to make a move to build up fan interest again I really think this draft was a dud. In Ricky Rubio all I see is JJ Reddick or Adam Morrison with an accent. Sure he may have been flashy against the stiffs in Europe, but when he tries to make those kind of moves in NBA they're not gonna work quite as well. Johnny Flynn, I think was a reach at #6. Could've got him at 10-13. And the best guard we took with # 18 which we got from Miami we trade to Denver who's in our division. Nice move there Kahn. I have feeling Ty Lawson is going to haunt us. Another thing I didn't really like seeing is Glen Taylor sitting in the draft room. I really wonder if Kahn really had as much free reign as he hoped for. This team will struggle to get 20 wins. My feeling was that if Rubio fell to us, we should pass him up in favor fo Srephen Curry. Then the Flynn pick and Lawson trade would have been easier to digest
TimberWHO

Saint Paul, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 26, 2009

WHO CARES!!!!!
They still stink and will for ever!!!!!
Minnesota and Basketball doesn't work just ask the LAKERS!!!!!!!
age2dc

Málaga, Spain

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 26, 2009

rubio was one of the most amazing players i've ever seen at his age, plus, he has a 4yrs career in spanish acb & euroleague, and he did pretty well against cp3, deron & kidd in the olympics.

i just don't understand the criticism about him, let's give him time

nevertheless i believe he would want to be traded to NY or LA, any great city....

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent University of Memphis NCAA Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
First night a hit for 'Tonight' host Jimmy Fallon (Feb '14) Feb '14 Marcavage s Trick 8
Charges possible for toppled ancient Utah rock (Oct '13) Oct '13 PEE PEE PETE 10
NCAA Basketball Recruiting: Predicting Which 20... (Aug '13) Aug '13 Preston Hubbard 1
NFL Draft: Can Ronald Leary Tempt Dallas Cowboy... (Apr '13) Apr '13 Always the Star 1
Memphis Tigers off target on 3-point tries, sho... (Dec '12) Dec '12 RDL 1
Marshall football: Herd resilient, continues to... (Nov '12) Nov '12 amy 1
Stephen Morris X-Rays negative, Ryan Williams m... (Oct '12) Oct '12 canes4life 5

Search the University of Memphis NCAA Forum:
•••
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••