Bob Hunter commentary: Turner has last word with mouthy Illini ...

Full story: Columbus Dispatch

Illinois tried to trash talk Evan Turner off his game, an interesting way to attack a guy who might be the national player of the year.
Comments
1 - 20 of 36 Comments Last updated Mar 17, 2010
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Bluegrass Buckeye

Lexington, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 14, 2010

Judged:

I actually think Turner has been forcing his play in the past two games - illustrate by the number of turnovers. While teams are double and triple teaming him, he still tries to dribble around and through them rather than finding the open man more quickly. And his gyrations and pleading to the refs to make a call will do him more harm than good. All that being said, I am a Turner fan and realize he is the key to the Buckeye's success and the other players need to be more active without the ball to get themselves open for him to pass to. I think they sometimes are too passive and just stand around waiting for him to make a play. I don't believe they have played their best game yet in this tournament. I hope that comes today and starts them on an even bigger roll next week. Go Bucks!
bostic

Dallas, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 14, 2010

the last THREE games. yes some fabulous plays, but a turnover machine right now. 10 turnovers is a huge number both for points not made, but for the direct result of points for opposition. wish bucks would push the pace rather than saunter up the court each time barely beating the 10-second count. turner's best when he lets game come to him, though clearly not a point guard--much better 2. bucks have some players on the bench to help on top, though for whatever reason, the rotation is so short to prevent any floortime. most encouraging part of yesterdays game was the play during the overtimes. nice run, but leery of freethrows during cruch time.
Bluegrass Buckeye wrote:
I actually think Turner has been forcing his play in the past two games - illustrate by the number of turnovers. While teams are double and triple teaming him, he still tries to dribble around and through them rather than finding the open man more quickly. And his gyrations and pleading to the refs to make a call will do him more harm than good. All that being said, I am a Turner fan and realize he is the key to the Buckeye's success and the other players need to be more active without the ball to get themselves open for him to pass to. I think they sometimes are too passive and just stand around waiting for him to make a play. I don't believe they have played their best game yet in this tournament. I hope that comes today and starts them on an even bigger roll next week. Go Bucks!
ObamaTriesHarder ThanBush

Fort Myers, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 14, 2010

Judged:

Illinois should get the boot from the Big Ten and sent to the MAC. Low class, bottom feeding scum.
eswope

Newark, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 14, 2010

Judged:

Yes. ET did have ten turnovers yesterday, but when
crunch time" rolled around, he was making one key basket after anther. As far as the turnovers are concerned, I agree that he was forcing some passes to teammates yesterday, but this in noway diminishes what he has done at point guard this yet. Anyone who says that Turner is not a point guard is watching a different game than I am. He is a point guard who distributes to his teammates and makes them better and also scores 20 points a game and averages 10 rebounds a game. 90 percent of the OSU offense runs through him. What more do you people want from your point guard? Oh yeah...I forgot. Less turnovers.
eswope

Newark, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 14, 2010

Judged:

Interesting article by Hunter. The Champaign newspapers give a completely different account of what happensed. Bruce Weber says it is a shame that a player of Turner's caliber has to resort to "trash talking." Weber says Turner needs to stop whining. Interesting comments from a coach who never whines over a call.
OkieBuck

Owasso, OK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 14, 2010

Judged:

ObamaTriesHarderThanBush wrote:
Illinois should get the boot from the Big Ten and sent to the MAC. Low class, bottom feeding scum.
Dude please change your name. I'm sick and tired of hearing Barry's name on the news let alone seeing it on anything related to sports. And besides from where most Americans sit the only thing he tries harder at then Bush is to F-up our country. I lived in Illinois when he was in the statehouse and he was a peice of crap then and and even bigger one now. Pretty boy with a telepromter who has never run a thing.
dave

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 14, 2010

what Illinois did is a typical b icth move. talk trash, then when we talk back they cry to the refs. lol what a bunch of b icthes. they got what they deserved bunch of losers!!!!!!
dave

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 14, 2010

what Illinois did is a typical b itch move. talk trash, then when we talk back they cry to the refs. lol what a bunch of b itches. they got what they deserved bunch of losers!!!!!!
OkieBuck

Owasso, OK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 14, 2010

Judged:

eswope wrote:
Interesting article by Hunter. The Champaign newspapers give a completely different account of what happensed. Bruce Weber says it is a shame that a player of Turner's caliber has to resort to "trash talking." Weber says Turner needs to stop whining. Interesting comments from a coach who never whines over a call.
Interesting; the Illini tried everything else over the course of three games against the Bucks so I guesss running their mouths was next on the list. After getting it handed to you three times in a season there really is not a whole lot to say....but I do they hope get a ticket to the dance.
Bill

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 14, 2010

Judged:

If Turner's going to dish out the trash, he needs to learn to take it when thrown back at him. Just like his so-called girlfriend. Both are masters at dishing out the trashtalk, both are major whiners when it's given back. Both are tremendous players and major contributors on their own teams, but the whining, turnovers, and forcing too much themselves is really getting annoying.
SmartPeopleAreTh eDevil

Lancaster, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 14, 2010

Judged:

OkieBuck wrote:
<quoted text>
Dude please change your name. I'm sick and tired of hearing Barry's name on the news let alone seeing it on anything related to sports. And besides from where most Americans sit the only thing he tries harder at then Bush is to F-up our country. I lived in Illinois when he was in the statehouse and he was a peice of crap then and and even bigger one now. Pretty boy with a telepromter who has never run a thing.
Another ignoramus discovers the power of the dang puter thingy.
JRII

Wiesbaden, Germany

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 14, 2010

SmartPeopleAreTheDevil wrote:
<quoted text>
Another ignoramus discovers the power of the dang puter thingy.
Oh? Fool?
Tony - Chandler

Tucson, AZ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 14, 2010

Judged:

From everything I've seen and read it sounds as though McCamey is a Turner wannabe. He may be quite jealous Turner has stolen his thunder somewhat. I'd love to read the Illinois newspaper's version of the trash talking. Anyone know the website?
Arizona Buckeye

Phoenix, AZ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 14, 2010

Judged:

Atta boy Evan.. your friend is jealous as hell for all the accolades you're getting... wwwaaaahhhhhhh. What a classless thug he is and quite frankly, doesn't deserve your friendship, especially after that display yesterday! You've got bigger and better things ahead of you where he has 'do you want fries with that' to practice up on.

LET'S GO BUCKEYES!!! Time to kick some gopher butt
Bigin

Chillicothe, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 14, 2010

10 Turn Over's is nothing to run your mouth about, try dribbing the ball into 5 players in the NBA and you will find your ass on the bench.
Paul Ranck

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 14, 2010

Trash talking is a part of the game unfortunately. I personally think it's low class in a low rent district. I wouldn't care if the Buckeyes did it, it would still be low class. Just wonder how much legs they will have today against Minn. Go Bucks!
Wow

Morgantown, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 14, 2010

Judged:

Wow some of you all call yourselves Buckeye fans? Pathetic....you should have your own player's back. From what I saw yesterday, Illinois tried everything to throw Turner off; bumping, grabbing, pushing, trash talking, etc. The dude still goes for 31 and 10. Sometimes I swear OSU and Columbus don't deserve a player as good as Turner. Half of you don't give a rip about the basketball team and the other have are front-runners, i.e. you only care when OSU is having a good season. Like it or not, that's the perception around the country. Turner's going to win multiple POY awards and half of you will still be whining about turnovers. WEll guess what? The guy handles the ball every, single possession. Turnovers are about to happen. But hey, if you want to continue to criticize the kid, we'll gladly take him at WVU. He and Butler would be an unstoppable force.
Duh

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 14, 2010

Hey Turner - not cool to be sexist.
jstewbearcat05

Newark, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 14, 2010

I love the trashtalking. If you've competed before, you understand that trashtalking is not required, but it is fun. It's actually addictive. As soon as the clock hits zero then respect can resume. No harm with Turner's or McCamey's comments yesterday.
Shane Falco played at OSU

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 14, 2010

Judged:

Wow wrote:
Wow some of you all call yourselves Buckeye fans? Pathetic....you should have your own player's back. From what I saw yesterday, Illinois tried everything to throw Turner off; bumping, grabbing, pushing, trash talking, etc. The dude still goes for 31 and 10. Sometimes I swear OSU and Columbus don't deserve a player as good as Turner. Half of you don't give a rip about the basketball team and the other have are front-runners, i.e. you only care when OSU is having a good season. Like it or not, that's the perception around the country. Turner's going to win multiple POY awards and half of you will still be whining about turnovers. WEll guess what? The guy handles the ball every, single possession. Turnovers are about to happen. But hey, if you want to continue to criticize the kid, we'll gladly take him at WVU. He and Butler would be an unstoppable force.
Well OSU football always trumps OSU basketball in importance in C-Bus. If OSU makes the sweet 16, final four, etc, it will be second fiddle to "OSU spring football practice begins". These clowns complaining about ET's turnovers despite OSU winning are probably the same sad sacks mad about how Terrelle Pryor played despite the football team winning 11 games.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Illinois Fighting Illini NCAA Basketball Discussions

Search the Illinois Fighting Illini NCAA Basketball Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
UNLV eliminated from NCAA Tournament after loss... (Mar '11) Mar '13 Anon 2
Recap: Illinois vs. Wisconsin (Feb '13) Feb '13 Basketball 54 1
Michael Jordan son: Marcus Jordan sets sights o... (Mar '09) Apr '12 Sandokan 10
Illinois suspends sophomore guard Head (Nov '11) Nov '11 fred barefield 1
Jeff Jordan, Michael's son, leaves Illinois bas... (Jun '09) Oct '11 fred barefield 160
OSU-Illinois preview | BuckeyeXtra (Feb '11) Feb '11 FLABUCK 11
Men's basketball: Ohio State rallies to overcom... (Jan '11) Jan '11 oblong 46
•••
•••
•••
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••