Sean Taylor's legacy: Sad lessons never seem to kick in

The last story, from his last night, had Sean Taylor squeezing the fingers of a doctor and offering the kind of headlined hope we always want to feel in our sports stories. Full Story
First Prev
of 7
Next Last
PhinFanX

Pleasanton, CA

#2 Nov 27, 2007
A very thoughtful and well written piece.
help

Pittsburgh, PA

#3 Nov 27, 2007
can someone please explain to me how so many ppl can be removing items from a home that was the scene of a murder less that 24 hours prior? all i see is ppl looting his house and saying they are family. well cant family wait until the find the killer to take his stuff? and what about the picture of the fat lady cleaning the house. this makes no sense. its a crime scene and yet ppl are all over it.
A Black Man

New York, NY

#5 Nov 27, 2007
Thank you Dave. If only our young men were reading more so they could get this (and so many other) needed messages.

This article should be posted in schools, locker rooms and campuses throughout America this coming week and the message should reverberate until it is internalized by Black families.

Again, thanks.
wow

Miami, FL

#8 Nov 28, 2007
Some of you are dumb. a man died, plain and simple. show some respect...people saying "the hood". Did you see that house? That was not in the hood jackass. Use the quote "if you have nothing nice to say, dont say nothing" so basically shut the f&*k up. And RIP to Sean Taylor, a man who changed his life for the better, and a great football player.
Keyser Soze

Pompano Beach, FL

#9 Nov 28, 2007
Yeah, if you don't have anything nice to say, such as "shut the f&*k up," then don't say nothing.

Since: Feb 07

fort lauderdale

#11 Nov 28, 2007
Very well written column; thanks for saying what needs to be said.
Everett

United States

#13 Nov 28, 2007
NICE JOB,On the Money !
Dave

Palm Coast, FL

#16 Nov 28, 2007
A tragedy like this is a loss to us all, UM fans and as human beings.
Yet you jump at any opportunity to try and blame UM for his death. How dare you!
Your arrogance and misguided hatred for UM and its athletes is damming and an insult to Sean, his family, the community and above all to UM.
How dare you try and make any connection between the deaths of Jerome Brown and Sean Taylor a pre destined occurance because of their race and the fact they attended UM.
You sir are truly a waste of human life!
TANK

Hialeah, FL

#18 Nov 28, 2007
WELL SAID! It's to bad that the kids that need to read this probably wont... lets pray they due
Joel

Lake Worth, FL

#20 Nov 28, 2007
Well written. 'Nough Said.
Trav

Hollywood, FL

#21 Nov 28, 2007
I see the republicans are out in force. Makes me proud to be an American.
alf

Miami, FL

#22 Nov 28, 2007
none of you ST personally. He had ONE run in with the law. Most people during there lives have a run in with the law. This guy was never hood. Was brought up in a loving middle cass family. Went to one on the most expensive high schools in miami. Never caused any problem while playing at the U. His dad was always a high ranking cop, who preached to Sean and others about doing the right thing.

Incapable of making right choices? He had ONe run in with the lw. Most people have a run with the law once in their lifetime. Not everybody is perfect. Respect the man, his family, his fans and his friends.
alf

Miami, FL

#24 Nov 28, 2007
A gangsta? cmon people. Do you know what a gangsta even is. Your people just show how stupid you are. Sean Taylor a gangsta?? that is ridiculous?

A gangster is a career criminal who is, or at some point almost invariably becomes, a member of a persistent violent crime organization, such as a gang. As an adjective it can be used as an unflattering depiction of the violent and devious methods commonly used by mobsters, and the derived form gangsterism it implies such methods as practice or habit. The term gangster is most commonly used in reference to members of the criminal organizations associated with the American offshoot of the Cosa Nostra and the American prohibition, such as the Chicago Outfit and the Five Families, and individuals such as Al Capone and Bugsy Siegel.

Gangsters are typically organized criminals who are actively engaged in crime as a group activity or enterprise for power, pleasure or profit. The visibility of activities of gangsters can range from the low-level such as drug-trafficking or protectionism, which are prone to be 'under the radar', to the in-your-face spectacular, such as the UK's multi-million Brinks Mat robbery. Gangsters often run their operations as businesses insofar as they offer a "product" or "service", albeit an illegal one, or, as is sometimes the case, a legitimate business operating as a front for criminal activity.

Sean Taylor was none of that.Sean Taylor did none of that. Stop with the stupidity people.
GhettoRiches

Alpharetta, GA

#25 Nov 28, 2007
wow wrote:
Some of you are dumb. a man died, plain and simple. show some respect...people saying "the hood". Did you see that house? That was not in the hood jackass. Use the quote "if you have nothing nice to say, dont say nothing" so basically shut the f&*k up. And RIP to Sean Taylor, a man who changed his life for the better, and a great football player.
Wow..you live in fantasy land..do you think that money gets rid of who you are..how many times in history have we found the "rich" are just a criminal as everyone else(murderers, rapists,wife beaters)..This guy came from the ghetto life..You can take the man out of the ghetto but you can't take the ghetto out of the man..Michael Vick..OJ..and so many more examples of this.wake up....We want to idolize the player but we don't want to really know who they are..if they weren't a Sports Star you would cross the street to the other side if you saw them coming at you..
what

United States

#26 Nov 28, 2007
alf wrote:
none of you ST personally. He had ONE run in with the law. Most people during there lives have a run in with the law. This guy was never hood. Was brought up in a loving middle cass family. Went to one on the most expensive high schools in miami. Never caused any problem while playing at the U. His dad was always a high ranking cop, who preached to Sean and others about doing the right thing.
Incapable of making right choices? He had ONe run in with the lw. Most people have a run with the law once in their lifetime. Not everybody is perfect. Respect the man, his family, his fans and his friends.
Respect the man you say? He didn't do ANYTHING to earn my respect.
True Fan

Alachua, FL

#27 Nov 28, 2007
He had no gun because he was on probation and was not allowed to have a gun. Tell me all these cops being shot and killed were they from the hood? So many people get killed down in Miami that are not from the hood as you call it. No man deserves to be killed and if you want this crap to stop help out with the inner city kids. Give some of your time and money making sure some of these kids have the resources to better themselves. Stop driving those 50k cars and donate some money to the groups that work with these kids.
Send more cops around the problem areas and help clean this crap up instead of having the majority of them patroling the rich areas. Give them hope of living the true American dream and stop forgetting about the less prevlidged! Sean may have had someone after him for what ever reason. What happen to just giving a good ass beateing to someone, no now these cowards feel like big men carrying guns. They want to carry guns illegaly and get caught send them straight to Iraq and hand them a gun and see how tough they are! Sean RIP and you will always be a Cane for life.
No family should have to go through this no matter where you are from!
UMStinks

Alpharetta, GA

#28 Nov 28, 2007
Dave wrote:
A tragedy like this is a loss to us all, UM fans and as human beings.
Yet you jump at any opportunity to try and blame UM for his death. How dare you!
Your arrogance and misguided hatred for UM and its athletes is damming and an insult to Sean, his family, the community and above all to UM.
How dare you try and make any connection between the deaths of Jerome Brown and Sean Taylor a pre destined occurance because of their race and the fact they attended UM.
You sir are truly a waste of human life!
Oh Please..UM is a overpriced-professors are "contracted not hired" from other countries who don't speak English-we are only interested in taking your tuition money to fund our sports program-Our credit do not transfer to other "real" Universities..School...I would never pay $40K a year for any Florida School..
alf

Miami, FL

#29 Nov 28, 2007
True Fan wrote:
He had no gun because he was on probation and was not allowed to have a gun. Tell me all these cops being shot and killed were they from the hood? So many people get killed down in Miami that are not from the hood as you call it. No man deserves to be killed and if you want this crap to stop help out with the inner city kids. Give some of your time and money making sure some of these kids have the resources to better themselves. Stop driving those 50k cars and donate some money to the groups that work with these kids.
Send more cops around the problem areas and help clean this crap up instead of having the majority of them patroling the rich areas. Give them hope of living the true American dream and stop forgetting about the less prevlidged! Sean may have had someone after him for what ever reason. What happen to just giving a good ass beateing to someone, no now these cowards feel like big men carrying guns. They want to carry guns illegaly and get caught send them straight to Iraq and hand them a gun and see how tough they are! Sean RIP and you will always be a Cane for life.
No family should have to go through this no matter where you are from!
What! He didnt do anything to earn respect? Kids looked up to him as a football player. He came back to miami, went to local schools and talked to local kids. He was the ONE player after every redskins game who would sign autographs for all the kids. He donated money to THE U. Gave money back to Gulliver prep. should i keep going?

What do you do?? bet you have never done any of those things for your community.
alf

Miami, FL

#30 Nov 28, 2007
UMStinks wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh Please..UM is a overpriced-professors are "contracted not hired" from other countries who don't speak English-we are only interested in taking your tuition money to fund our sports program-Our credit do not transfer to other "real" Universities..School...I would never pay $40K a year for any Florida School..
Overpriced professor?? Hmm its funny we have the best school for cancer treatment?? And every university in the country have professors who dont speak good english. FYI, every state has their own requirments and standards for college students. So yea, a lot of credits you take in one state mght not transfer to another state. We can see how educated you are.
TALLYCANE

Tallahassee, FL

#31 Nov 28, 2007
I didn't realize so many of you knew Sean personally,or are you just hypocritical,self-righteous,mo rons.I tend to believe the latter,good article.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 7
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

NCAA Football Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
UCLA FOOTBALL NOTEBOOK: Neuheisel says Prince w... (Sep '10) 7 min Bruin For Life 28,405
College football roundup: Ohio State starts the... (Sep '13) 6 hr Go Blue Forever 1,483
The possible 2015 landing spots for Jay Cutler Dec 18 Re turbaned to Feet 4
Bowl game matchups: Virginia Tech vs. Cincinnati Dec 17 Shelly 1
Murray sets new NFL rushing record Dec 17 Da Squirts 18
UH wants that Kevin Sumlin swag back: Firing go... Dec 16 Madd Dogg 1
K-State's Liu marches to his own beat (Aug '07) Dec 15 Fuckboy 69 3
More from around the web