Coaches give Miners feeling of family

Full story: El Paso Times 48
The feeling is warm and comfortable and cozy ... almost like a fireplace burning on a chilly night. Full Story
First Prev
of 3
Next Last
SuperMex

Saint Louis, MO

#1 Apr 21, 2011
This "Mama" and "Papa" thing is creepy!
be real

El Paso, TX

#2 Apr 21, 2011
Why don't you try getting some kids from El Paso be in your family,
I noticed almost all University have local talent on their roster but for some reason UTEP doesn't pay attention to girls from the area.
Chico

Mesquite, TX

#3 Apr 21, 2011
Are the coaches related to Price? The loser mentality seems to run in UTEP Athletic Deparment Family!
84 Miner

El Paso, TX

#4 Apr 21, 2011
That's great but unless they start winning and can compete they might not be there long enough, that's the name of the game!
Socorro Tx Transplant

Montgomery, AL

#5 Apr 21, 2011
I had the pleasure of meeting Ma & Pa Coaches when I used umpire NCAA Softball and they coached at ENMU and when they started at UTEP. They are very professional, respectful and I always enjoyed umpiring a game with their teams. But as usual, there will always be negative comments in forums, why even comment.
UTEP Alum

El Paso, TX

#6 Apr 21, 2011
The UTEP softball program is the only program that has steadily improved throughout the years. They started winning years ago and can compete with the best teams in the nation. They beat national champions in back-to-back years and have defeated ranked teams every year with the exception to this one (2007 #5 Arizona St., 2008 #7 Arizona, 2009 #2 Arizona, 2010 #22 Fresno). Every year you can find a couple of local players on the roster, this year they have Crystal Carrion and Kayla Black. Everything they have done is a lot more impressive when you take in consideration that they started the program from scratch in 2004 and played their first season at EPCC. Furthermore, as a softball fan and local El Pasoan I am very proud to have the Rodriguez represent my alma mater and city. Yes, they're not having a good year but they still have those young girls playing with a lot of heart game in and game out. Those young ladies they are leading on the field are being taught more than softball and are developing into amazing human beings that will make UTEP very proud when they continue on with their careers.
Realistic Fan

El Paso, TX

#7 Apr 21, 2011
Chico,
Tell that to the UTEP cross country, track and field, women's golf, soccer and basketball teams that consistently win fool!
Miner supporter

El Paso, TX

#8 Apr 21, 2011
Since there is no baseball team, I've been following the UTEP softball team since it started. These are a great group of girls. They lost their really good pitcher Stacy Townsend. Everyone who follows knew it would be a rebuilding year for them. Just like any other team that loses a great senior class. Go out and support your team before you get on here and bash the program! I'm a proud supporter of UTEP and will continue to follow them win or lose!
Mad

Lovington, NM

#9 Apr 21, 2011
The first four bend over grab you ears....and pull
The Truth

El Paso, TX

#10 Apr 21, 2011
Gracie Borjas (Canutillo HS), Ashley Perez (Franklin HS), Rachel Shaeffer (Coronado HS), Crystal Carrion (Hanks HS), Kayla Black (Clint HS)and at least 4 EPCC players have all been apart of the UTEP softball program since it started in 2004. It would be interesting to know how many of these girls were offered a Division I scholarships to play softball outside of UTEP. My bet would be on none. They all have been or are major contributors to the program and that has a lot to do with the coaching they have received from the Rodriguez. El Paso does indeed have a lot of local softball talent but Division I athletics is not a level at which most El Paso athletes are ready to compete at. The athletes who are capable of competition at that level have become Miners. There are not many softball players in the area who can step on a field with the likes of Stacie Townsend (a member of the British National Team), Cami Carrera (2009 C-USA MVP) or Chelsea Troupe (2009 Freshman Player of the Year). In my opinion the program is doing its' best to put a quality program on the field as well as identifying local talent that can become Division I caliber players. As "Miner supporter" said, those of us who follow the softball team knew this would be a rebuilding year and being plagued by injury has not helped. As long as the Rodriguez are the coaches of UTEP softball the program will continually head in the right direction!!
The Real Truth

El Paso, TX

#12 Apr 21, 2011
The Truth wrote:
Gracie Borjas (Canutillo HS), Ashley Perez (Franklin HS), Rachel Shaeffer (Coronado HS), Crystal Carrion (Hanks HS), Kayla Black (Clint HS)and at least 4 EPCC players have all been apart of the UTEP softball program since it started in 2004. It would be interesting to know how many of these girls were offered a Division I scholarships to play softball outside of UTEP. My bet would be on none. They all have been or are major contributors to the program and that has a lot to do with the coaching they have received from the Rodriguez. El Paso does indeed have a lot of local softball talent but Division I athletics is not a level at which most El Paso athletes are ready to compete at. The athletes who are capable of competition at that level have become Miners. There are not many softball players in the area who can step on a field with the likes of Stacie Townsend (a member of the British National Team), Cami Carrera (2009 C-USA MVP) or Chelsea Troupe (2009 Freshman Player of the Year). In my opinion the program is doing its' best to put a quality program on the field as well as identifying local talent that can become Division I caliber players. As "Miner supporter" said, those of us who follow the softball team knew this would be a rebuilding year and being plagued by injury has not helped. As long as the Rodriguez are the coaches of UTEP softball the program will continually head in the right direction!!
Your Stupid and drinking their Koolade.
They are good coaches and good with the kids but don't try and knock El Paso Kids. If El Paso kids lived in Dallas or Houston many more would be playing Div one and that goes for Football Baseball and Basketball. Its our location and income levels. It takes money to get recruited by big time schools. UTEP should recruit the top two kids from El Paso every year, that can make the grades of course.
Why should coaches come to El Paso to recruit one or two kids when they can go to Dallas or Houston or other Big Citys and see 20 or 30 kids. So don't try and Knock El Paso kids with your baloney rant.
You Forgot Claudia Oliva Eastwood Ace (UTEP 2ys) Education took her on to other things. Looks like Montwood and Belair are the only ones that have not produced a Division 1 player. Well Cory (Montwood) could have played for UTEP easy but she doesn't like to kiss A%%.
Kassidy SS Franklin Syracuse.
Jana Jones P Franklin McNeese St.
Niki Stoltz CF Ysleta Sacred Heart.
Sassy Gonzalez C Franklin New Mexico St.
Vanessa Valles Gadsen SS New Mexico St.
Angie GadsenOf New Mexico St.
Candence Black Clint New Mexico St.
and many others.
Most Colleges try and help their communities, Don't believe me, look at Arizona and the network in Arizona Coach Candrea has created, not these baloney $100 camps they put on here once a year. You want to see some love go to any tournament in Arizona and you'll Arizona Coaches there.
You think you know but you don't really know, So leave the El Paso kids alone, for some its better if they don't go there.
Mas Pendejos

El Paso, TX

#13 Apr 21, 2011
OK, I respect Same-Sex families, but c'mon! We need them les' with a winning record on the field...
A Real Supporter no Ump

El Paso, TX

#14 Apr 21, 2011
Miner supporter wrote:
Since there is no baseball team, I've been following the UTEP softball team since it started. These are a great group of girls. They lost their really good pitcher Stacy Townsend. Everyone who follows knew it would be a rebuilding year for them. Just like any other team that loses a great senior class. Go out and support your team before you get on here and bash the program! I'm a proud supporter of UTEP and will continue to follow them win or lose!
but alot of teams loose their Ace pitchers every year Injurys are part of the game and if you have a winning stragety the next one just steps in, like at Arizona and UCLA. Stop drinking the Koolade.
The Real Truth

El Paso, TX

#15 Apr 21, 2011
UTEP Alum wrote:
The UTEP softball program is the only program that has steadily improved throughout the years. They started winning years ago and can compete with the best teams in the nation. They beat national champions in back-to-back years and have defeated ranked teams every year with the exception to this one (2007 #5 Arizona St., 2008 #7 Arizona, 2009 #2 Arizona, 2010 #22 Fresno). Every year you can find a couple of local players on the roster, this year they have Crystal Carrion and Kayla Black. Everything they have done is a lot more impressive when you take in consideration that they started the program from scratch in 2004 and played their first season at EPCC. Furthermore, as a softball fan and local El Pasoan I am very proud to have the Rodriguez represent my alma mater and city. Yes, they're not having a good year but they still have those young girls playing with a lot of heart game in and game out. Those young ladies they are leading on the field are being taught more than softball and are developing into amazing human beings that will make UTEP very proud when they continue on with their careers.

Amen, very well said. Hey Truth now this was well said and no bashing no excuses just the Truth.
Got to get the Ump Sorry

El Paso, TX

#16 Apr 21, 2011
Socorro Tx Transplant wrote:
I had the pleasure of meeting Ma & Pa Coaches when I used umpire NCAA Softball and they coached at ENMU and when they started at UTEP. They are very professional, respectful and I always enjoyed umpiring a game with their teams. But as usual, there will always be negative comments in forums, why even comment.
Give me a break, we're not going to listen to an umpire we know you don't want to be black listed. How much did they pay you to umpire the game? What would the other teams think of your little statement? Maybe you need to go back to T Ball, Geez always trying to put yourself in the game.
The Truth

El Paso, TX

#17 Apr 21, 2011
I'm not knocking El Paso players in anyway, if you read what I wrote, you read that not ALL El Paso players are capable of playing at the DIVISION I level. I never said there are not or have never been any who shouldn't be at that level. That means there are many softball players in the area capable of moving on to the next level but not at the Division I level. It is unrealistic to think that UTEP or any other Division I team would consist mainly of players from that community. As far as "the network" that someone like Coach Candrea has built, his program has been around for 30 years with their first NCAA WCWS championship coming after they had been in existence for about 18 years. I'll remind you that UTEP softball started in 2004!!!
The Real Truth

El Paso, TX

#18 Apr 21, 2011
Ok , I went heywire cause of this statement "It would be interesting to know how many of these girls were offered a Division I scholarships to play softball outside of UTEP. My bet would be on none". but you know me.
The Truth

United States

#19 Apr 21, 2011
No I don't know you but I think it 's safe to say you have a deep interest in El Paso softball as I do and in my opinion the Rodriguez are doing an amazing job for softball in El Paso!
go softball

Mesa, AZ

#20 Apr 21, 2011
I know the Rodriguez family. These are 2 people that love helping the El Paso community. Not all El Paso softball players will compete for UTEP. The Rodriguez coaches have made a promise to all softball athletes/coaches in El Paso. They will help get softball athletes placed @ various colleges. They have a great coaching network due to all their years in coaching . They have helped several softball players from the El Paso area find college scholarships around the country the last 7 years.
I don't know many college/university coaches who have made that type of commitment.
Coach

El Paso, TX

#21 Apr 22, 2011
go softball wrote:
I know the Rodriguez family. These are 2 people that love helping the El Paso community. Not all El Paso softball players will compete for UTEP. The Rodriguez coaches have made a promise to all softball athletes/coaches in El Paso. They will help get softball athletes placed @ various colleges. They have a great coaching network due to all their years in coaching . They have helped several softball players from the El Paso area find college scholarships around the country the last 7 years.
I don't know many college/university coaches who have made that type of commitment.
The "Mama" and "Papa" thing is WEIRD and disingenuous. This is cut-throat stuff. If one of the "daughters" struggles at the plate they're toast just like in any other D1 sport - it's not a family environment!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

C-USA Football Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Ohio Bobcats vs. East Carolina Pirates Betting ... (Dec '13) Dec '13 charles stevens 1
UTEP's Sun Bowl Turns 50 (Sep '13) Dec '13 Wrong Way Driver 5
In brief: Teen arrested after pot is found in car (Jan '10) Oct '12 Oblamaa 17
Ole Miss Rebels vs. UTEP Miners: The Friday Gam... (Sep '12) Sep '12 gopher 1
At long last, Memphis Tigers join Big East (Feb '12) Feb '12 johhny d 1
Sports digest: UTEP golf coach's contract not r... (May '11) May '11 Ben Warez 1
UTEP softball: Injury-riddled Miners play 3 at ... (Apr '11) Apr '11 Hey Stull 4
More from around the web