Ginoza's coaching legacy endures

SB FILE / 1980 Waianae is honoring legendary coach Larry Ginoza tonight and will name its athletic complex after him. Full Story
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Edric Florence 1965

Bethel Park, PA

#1 Jun 25, 2008
A great math teacher and an even better football coach.
not homeless

Honolulu, HI

#2 Jun 25, 2008
would of like to play for this coach. the coaches at the high school i went to played favortism . i think thats why my highschool never had a winning season.
joemover

AOL

#3 Jun 25, 2008
WOW...mr honda you gave me chicken skin just thinkin about your great write up...GOD WAS SO GOOD TOO BRING MR G TOO WAIANAE...WE LOVE YOU COACH...WAIANAE IS ABOUT OHANA AND BEACHES AND FOOTBALL...YOU WERE AN ABSOLUTE TOUGH COACH AND A SUPER SUPER DISCIPLINARIAN...WE HAD ALOT OF THINGS AT WAIANAE BUT THE THING WE HAD MOST WAS OUR OFFSEASON PROGRAM...THAT PROGRAM WAS BY FAR THE BEST IVE EVER BEEN IN..WE WORKED OUR TAILS OFF AND THATS HOW SUCCESS CAME ALONG WITH THE TRADITION...WAIANAE WAS ABRAND NAME AND STILL IS..CONGRATS MR GINOZA GO WAIANAE...GO FRESNO STATE
Amazing and Amusing

Honolulu, HI

#4 Jun 25, 2008
Class act!!! Rare for Hawaii's coaches who have their favorites. Beazley is also a great person. He is representative of the lifetime work of Ginoza. Welcome back from D.C. Isaac Ho'opii!!!
helflyer

Fort Huachuca, AZ

#5 Jun 25, 2008
Coach Ginoza influenced many people. I admired the discipline that he instilled in his teams. The whole team always looked the same in their black shoes and white socks. Simple, not flashy, yet effective. Something that today's kids need to look back on. As a graduate of Kahuku 1981, our coach Chuck Meade always commented about Waianae and how we always needed to step it up. Coach Ginoza truely made a positive impact on us all.
CPR 27

Honolulu, HI

#6 Jun 25, 2008
Coach G is Waianae!
Brown man

Silver Spring, MD

#7 Jun 25, 2008
Larry Ginoza changed a lot of lives on the Waianae Coast.
A KAMAAINA

Kailua Kona, HI

#8 Jun 25, 2008
Thank you, Larry...Father Bray is smiling ...You have honored his legacy.
bumbachaMusubi

Sacramento, CA

#9 Jun 25, 2008
Hey...somebody help me out. Wasn't Coach Ginoza also the coach of the Hawaii All Stars who whipped the California All Stars about 1970 -71??!! I remember Kaipo Spencer making some good throws and some hard tackling from Simeon Alo and Cliff Laboy. Please help me here so that Coach Ginoza gets his due on a great coaching and players game! I remember the California players were bewildered at the Hawaii players simply outhitting their team.
kahu carl Oceanside CA

United States

#10 Jun 25, 2008
Great tribute to a great man -- I was a classmate of his brother and delivered their Star Bulletin news papers.For a big man, he could move.
sumobento

Honolulu, HI

#11 Jun 25, 2008
bumbachaMusubi wrote:
Hey...somebody help me out. Wasn't Coach Ginoza also the coach of the Hawaii All Stars who whipped the California All Stars about 1970 -71??!! I remember Kaipo Spencer making some good throws and some hard tackling from Simeon Alo and Cliff Laboy. Please help me here so that Coach Ginoza gets his due on a great coaching and players game! I remember the California players were bewildered at the Hawaii players simply outhitting their team.
Must be 1970 because both Kaipo and Clff was 71' grads I remembered that game. Good memory.
Westside Wind

Honolulu, HI

#12 Jun 25, 2008
Aloha to Coach G, the absolute best from the Westside.
Car's proudly drive around with the big "W" on their windshields thanks to Coach Ginoza's legacy.

Since: Jun 08

Honolulu, HI

#13 Jun 25, 2008
Even though I was cut from the Waianae Football Team, I've always had that Pride of knowing I was from a Championship Football School! That alone, brought Pride and has influenced my life. But I sure recall as if it was yesterday, of how discipline and humble the Football players really were back then. I hung out with them, and when there was trouble, we'd walk away not wanting to affiliate with trouble makers. Yes, this was all due to the tremendous influence that Coach Ginoza had on his players! Congradulations Coach! And this was definitely long, long over due!!! God Bless...
Leo

AOL

#14 Jun 25, 2008
I remember that Waianae wishbone team of '77 real well. That was the team that destroyed Punahou and Mark Tuinei for the 77 Prep Bowl title. The QB was Tupu Siliga. James Holt was the primary RB. Kenneth Paredes at FB would blast holes through the DL. Feleti Brown. Nate Fletcher (braddah of Tia Palakiko)led the way on defense. It's only proper to also mention the late Roger Haudenshild, a starter at DT on that team.
Wayne Tabancora, RB on the 79 team that I thought was the best ever Waianae team, even though they lost to Kaiser in the OIA championship game. The defense of that 79 Waianae team was the best I ever saw in the OIA. They gave up only 2 touchdowns all season long. Bob Silva and Elgin Awong at DE. Joe Masaniai at LB. Max Maneafaiga at DB. Watson Mahaulu, DB. Jerry Fa'agai at DT. Fred Toilolo at nose guard.
Hooray

Makawao, HI

#15 Jun 25, 2008
Wish we could have a coach like this at Punahou. Instead we got clowns like TUNE, TAYLOR, & KADAOKA. Instead of shaking hands, no rah-rah, and playing the game the right way, these guys are all about themselves. They are the biggest prima-donnas out there, all for themselves.

Boy we all wish we could have played for a man like this!!!
Dominic

Makawao, HI

#16 Jun 25, 2008
I agree!!!
bunolieya

Honolulu, HI

#17 Jun 25, 2008
Hooray wrote:
Wish we could have a coach like this at Punahou. Instead we got clowns like TUNE, TAYLOR, & KADAOKA. Instead of shaking hands, no rah-rah, and playing the game the right way, these guys are all about themselves. They are the biggest prima-donnas out there, all for themselves.
Boy we all wish we could have played for a man like this!!!
you got to be serious. these coaches at punahou doesnt teach sportsmanship?!
paloha

Bonney Lake, WA

#18 Jun 25, 2008
Congratulations Coach, and all his assistants. Mr Miyagi, Maeda, Mitsui, Aken, Taaca, and the great community of Waianae. The support of the community was the key that kept all the players humble.
waimea high football

Kapaa, HI

#19 Jun 26, 2008
1983 waimea beat waianae in aloha stadium what a class act by both teams it put waimea on the radar for a small school on kauai both tommy rita and mr Ginoza is very good friends and if you know waimea football it was mr Ginoza and waianae football that waimea followed thanks mr Ginoza for all you did for waimea high football program ALOHA
wkd

Seattle, WA

#20 Jun 26, 2008
Great memories! Great job Mike B, and thank you Mr. Larry G.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

NCAA Sports Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
UCLA FOOTBALL NOTEBOOK: Neuheisel says Prince w... (Sep '10) 3 hr Bruin Nation 28,491
College football roundup: Ohio State starts the... (Sep '13) Dec 25 Go Blue Forever 1,492
5 reasons Wisconsin football will beat the Ohio... Dec 24 Rager 3
Rashard Kelly's last-second putback gives No. 1... Dec 24 dogman67156 1
Alternatives to ESPiN? Dec 22 Pete 1
Trojans in the NFL: Reggie Bush contributes in ... Dec 22 Patriots Club Chub 2
Crossfire going to Nicaragua (Jan '08) Dec 22 arnoldodeigo 5
More from around the web