Comments
1 - 20 of 21 Comments Last updated Apr 18, 2014
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
blockboy

Traverse City, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#1
Jan 25, 2012
 

Judged:

1

1

1

They used to be punk in the 90's with they're Dookie album. After American Idiot they stopped being punk and became some shit band that appeals to 10 year old girls. Who agrees with me?
Victoria

Brooklyn, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#2
Feb 28, 2012
 

Judged:

1

1

NO. Dookie was good, but it wasn't punk.
Green Day wasn't ever punk. Alternative and pop are their main genres. Even Dookie was pop. You can't be pop-punk, because... Those genres are opposites.
Estella

Chatswood, Australia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#3
Apr 26, 2012
 

Judged:

2

1

Okay, for the record, Green Day is punk, I'm so, so,s sorry I offended those dedicated Sex Pistols fans, awww, would you like a hot water bottle and a cookie? Shut the fuck up. Just because Green Day doesn't conform with your classic punk genre does not mean they aren't punk. There is the modern punk that is the sound Green Day and then you have your classic punk with the likes of Ramones and as just mentioned Sex Pistols and yada, yada, yada. Green Day DID change after Nimrod and Dookie when they made American Idiot, it was more alternative rock than punk but they started returning to their old punk sound in 21st Century Breakdown. Just because they aren't an unknown band who gets barely any airplay on radio stations anymore doesn't give you the right to dump on them. But then again, I'm just a person putting forward their thoughts, not an opinion Nazi so say whatever but that is just my outlook on the over abused/discussed topic of "Is Green Day punk or not?".
Estella

Chatswood, Australia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#4
Apr 26, 2012
 

Judged:

2

Okay, for the record, Green Day is punk, I'm so, so,s sorry I offended those so called 'real punk fans', awww, would you like a hot water bottle and a cookie? Shut the fuck up. Just because Green Day doesn't conform with your classic punk genre does not mean they aren't punk. There is the modern punk that is the sound Green Day and then you have your classic punk with the likes of Ramones and as just mentioned Sex Pistols and yada, yada, yada. Green Day DID change after Nimrod and Dookie when they made American Idiot, it was more alternative rock than punk but they started returning to their old punk sound in 21st Century Breakdown.
But in general they are just punk rock or if you would like an even larger generalization, rock. But Green Day, or any other band/singer/vocal group, should not be labeled as a genre. It's more of the group branching over the genre rather than vice versa. Green Day, doesn't fit properly in any of those genres that we put out for them to fit into but if they had to fit into a genre it'd be punk. End of discussion. Auf wiedersehen.
Guy Wiliford

Vinita, OK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#5
Apr 29, 2012
 

Judged:

1

1

1

I don't know if they are punk or not, but they are closer to the Ramones than any other band I have heard.
vanianessa

Surry Hills, Australia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#6
May 3, 2012
 

Judged:

1

1

1

Estella wrote:
Okay, for the record, Green Day is punk, I'm so, so,s sorry I offended those so called 'real punk fans', awww, would you like a hot water bottle and a cookie? Shut the fuck up. Just because Green Day doesn't conform with your classic punk genre does not mean they aren't punk. There is the modern punk that is the sound Green Day and then you have your classic punk with the likes of Ramones and as just mentioned Sex Pistols and yada, yada, yada. Green Day DID change after Nimrod and Dookie when they made American Idiot, it was more alternative rock than punk but they started returning to their old punk sound in 21st Century Breakdown.
But in general they are just punk rock or if you would like an even larger generalization, rock. But Green Day, or any other band/singer/vocal group, should not be labeled as a genre. It's more of the group branching over the genre rather than vice versa. Green Day, doesn't fit properly in any of those genres that we put out for them to fit into but if they had to fit into a genre it'd be punk. End of discussion. Auf wiedersehen.
Using the Ramones and the Pistols as your only references to 'classic punk' shows your very limited or non-existent knowledge of the genre, so your argument couldn't possibly be taken seriously. End of discussion.
Albert Transom

Vancouver, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#7
Jul 27, 2012
 

Judged:

1

1

1

Estella wrote:
Okay, for the record, Green Day is punk, I'm so, so,s sorry I offended those dedicated Sex Pistols fans, awww, would you like a hot water bottle and a cookie? Shut the fuck up. Just because Green Day doesn't conform with your classic punk genre does not mean they aren't punk. There is the modern punk that is the sound Green Day and then you have your classic punk with the likes of Ramones and as just mentioned Sex Pistols and yada, yada, yada. Green Day DID change after Nimrod and Dookie when they made American Idiot, it was more alternative rock than punk but they started returning to their old punk sound in 21st Century Breakdown. Just because they aren't an unknown band who gets barely any airplay on radio stations anymore doesn't give you the right to dump on them. But then again, I'm just a person putting forward their thoughts, not an opinion Nazi so say whatever but that is just my outlook on the over abused/discussed topic of "Is Green Day punk or not?".
That's just it, they DID confrom, what with the colored spikey hair, the black clothes, the spaced-out glazed look in their eyes, the 'punk' poses, the John Mellor/John Lydon-esque stage moves. Awww, do YOU want a hot water bottle and a cookie?
Joe

Alpharetta, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#8
Oct 2, 2012
 

Judged:

1

1

1

Look, love 'em, like 'em, or hate 'em, Green Day is most decidedly NOT a punk rock band. Anyone who thinks Green Day is punk rock really doesn't know what punk rock is. Their music is way too commercial and radio friendly, and indeed the whole sensibility is about as far removed from punk as you can get, except perhaps in the most shallow, poseur way. Calling Green Day punk is like calling Michael Jackso rock or Jethro Tull heavy metal. It's inane.

Any band as commercial as Green Day that puts on airs of being alternative is annoying. They're a radio friendly pop band, period, with some pseudoaltermative window dressing and pretentions.

And for godsake take the goddamn guyliner off! Man is that obnoxious!

I definitely put Green Day in the "Why the hell are they famous?" category. They suck, period.
Punkisdead

Wyckoff, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#10
Nov 13, 2012
 

Judged:

1

1

There's no way in hell green day is punk. They are alternative at best, but most likely pop. Of you want a comparison try listening to the casualties, clit 45, global threat, career suicide, or anti flag (if you can consider anti flag punk). That should draw a clear contrast between green day and real punk
Travis clarksdale ms

Dallas, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#11
Dec 25, 2012
 
Well. As a black guy that's 32... I really don't know what punk is. Green Day would be better off without the cussing. It seems that that what makes them punk in there music, otherwise, they would make a good history of alternative music. I' m not a Green Day hater. As a matter of fact, they always get my attention when they come up with new stuff. Sometimes,in my opinion, Billie should tone it down with the swaring. For example, Before The Lobotomey.... It is my fav of 21stCBD. The song was great, but near the end, he had to add " We'll I'm not stoned, I'm just fucked up"... That one word sort of fucked the whole song up if you ask me, but they still came though with the dramatic ending. I really don't know how to classify them. They are a fun hippy headed band. Nothing more. Nothing less.
DIY

Albuquerque, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#12
Feb 10, 2013
 
Of course some sh*tty band like Green Day is punk rock in some people's eyes because they need their got d*mn ears checked. They may have had two or three chatchy songs when they first got famous, but like a whore that over stays her welcome they got painfully annoying.

They are a POP band with only a few punk like overtunes at best. They are not an actual punk band, just some sorry eye liner wearing wanna be's. If you think that Green Day is a punk rock band please do us all a favor who know what real music is, jump out of a window while setting yourself on fire, swallowing a poison pill with a bomb strapped to your chest while falling toward a pool of acid at mach 2.5
DEFINITELY NOT

Neath, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#13
Apr 4, 2013
 
green day never have been punk and never will in my opinion.
They are so radiofriendly and are a favourite of MTV (mainstream)
It's not about the fact that they are popular and lots of people like them, because back in the 70's/80's bands like sex pistols and the clash were also popular. It's the fact that they're songs are so clearly pop-punk or alternative or whatever sub genre you decide to put them in. They could never compare to the deep political meaning of 'Dead Kennedys' or 'anti flag' and so on
Estella Artois

Vancouver, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#14
Apr 24, 2013
 
Estella wrote:
Okay, for the record, Green Day is punk, I'm so, so,s sorry I offended those dedicated Sex Pistols fans, awww, would you like a hot water bottle and a cookie? Shut the fuck up. Just because Green Day doesn't conform with your classic punk genre does not mean they aren't punk. There is the modern punk that is the sound Green Day and then you have your classic punk with the likes of Ramones and as just mentioned Sex Pistols and yada, yada, yada. Green Day DID change after Nimrod and Dookie when they made American Idiot, it was more alternative rock than punk but they started returning to their old punk sound in 21st Century Breakdown. Just because they aren't an unknown band who gets barely any airplay on radio stations anymore doesn't give you the right to dump on them. But then again, I'm just a person putting forward their thoughts, not an opinion Nazi so say whatever but that is just my outlook on the over abused/discussed topic of "Is Green Day punk or not?".
You're so right, you're not an opinion Nazi, you're a opinion Falangist. Good on ya! Oh, by the way, if this topic is so "abused/discussed" why are you here? And another thing..."abused" as in physical, psychological, or verbal?
devbe

Potomac, MD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#15
Jul 12, 2013
 
Punkisdead wrote:
There's no way in hell green day is punk. They are alternative at best, but most likely pop. Of you want a comparison try listening to the casualties, clit 45, global threat, career suicide, or anti flag (if you can consider anti flag punk). That should draw a clear contrast between green day and real punk
Green Day WERE punk. If you don't believe it, listen to PLATYPUS, 1039/SMOOTHED, JADED OR TAKE BACK. AND TELL ME IF THAT SOUNDS LIKE NON PUNK. IF THEY AREN'T PUNK, THEN WHAT ABOUT THE RAMONES. and saying mainstream makes them non punk doesn't count. punk means thinking for yourself and the ramones, the clash and sex p istols were even mainstream
GirRocks

Nicholasville, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#16
Aug 21, 2013
 
Green Day is alternative rock and pop rock and power pop crap. I mean wtf? True punk died in the 90s. I mean getting drunk and kissing men and being a liberal? They are sell outs. They are the ones that are the American Idiots.
Loyal green day fan

Los Angeles, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#17
Nov 15, 2013
 

Judged:

1

Estella wrote:
Okay, for the record, Green Day is punk, I'm so, so,s sorry I offended those dedicated Sex Pistols fans, awww, would you like a hot water bottle and a cookie? Shut the fuck up. Just because Green Day doesn't conform with your classic punk genre does not mean they aren't punk. There is the modern punk that is the sound Green Day and then you have your classic punk with the likes of Ramones and as just mentioned Sex Pistols and yada, yada, yada. Green Day DID change after Nimrod and Dookie when they made American Idiot, it was more alternative rock than punk but they started returning to their old punk sound in 21st Century Breakdown. Just because they aren't an unknown band who gets barely any airplay on radio stations anymore doesn't give you the right to dump on them. But then again, I'm just a person putting forward their thoughts, not an opinion Nazi so say whatever but that is just my outlook on the over abused/discussed topic of "Is Green Day punk or not?".
thank you for saying this. As you said, just because they sound a bit different them classic punk, doesn't mean they arnt and have nothing to do with punk. You can really tell if someone's a fan when something like this comes up
Loyal green day fan

Santa Monica, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#18
Nov 15, 2013
 

Judged:

1

DIY wrote:
Of course some sh*tty band like Green Day is punk rock in some people's eyes because they need their got d*mn ears checked. They may have had two or three chatchy songs when they first got famous, but like a whore that over stays her welcome they got painfully annoying.
They are a POP band with only a few punk like overtunes at best. They are not an actual punk band, just some sorry eye liner wearing wanna be's. If you think that Green Day is a punk rock band please do us all a favor who know what real music is, jump out of a window while setting yourself on fire, swallowing a poison pill with a bomb strapped to your chest while falling toward a pool of acid at mach 2.5
I'm sorry but are you REALLY calling them wannabes? And they made lots of punk songs when they were not famous. Nobody listens to them except real fans now but they did make a few real punk songs. And they were around back in the early 1980s so don't call them wannabes. If anything, many other bands are wannabes of them...
Loyal green day fan

Santa Monica, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#19
Nov 15, 2013
 

Judged:

1

GirRocks wrote:
Green Day is alternative rock and pop rock and power pop crap. I mean wtf? True punk died in the 90s. I mean getting drunk and kissing men and being a liberal? They are sell outs. They are the ones that are the American Idiots.
green day was around before the 90s. Listen to their early songs, like jaded or 1039 hours... And if you don't think green day is punk what DO you think is punk? The Ramones songs sounded just like green days early songs. Only comment if you know what your talking about. And there's no suck thing as Pop punk... It's and oxymoron...
Albert Transom

Vancouver, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#20
Dec 15, 2013
 
Loyal green day fan wrote:
<quoted text> I'm sorry but are you REALLY calling them wannabes? And they made lots of punk songs when they were not famous. Nobody listens to them except real fans now but they did make a few real punk songs. And they were around back in the early 1980s so don't call them wannabes. If anything, many other bands are wannabes of them...
"...back in the early 1980s..." - really? So...they were what, 10 years old? Thanks for contributing and showing your "knowledge", being that "loyal" fan that you are. As for "...many other bands are wannabes of them..." - you're correct! Many bands are wannabes of these wannabes! Oh btw, "only comment if you know what you are talking about."
waygone

Lafayette, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#22
Jan 11, 2014
 
What is Punk? People been arguing over that ever since it started. Ramones, Sex Pistols, Patti Smith, Television, Blondie (Debbie Harry was called the queen of punk on the cover of High Times magazine 1977). Don't forget GG Allen. yuk! choke!

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Punk Discussions

Search the Punk Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Top 10 Most Naked Music Videos in the History o... Jul 24 torres 1
Playground: Growing Up in the New York Underground Jul 21 Jumper The wise 7
Aliens verses Demons Jul 15 Velvet MJK 9
Disability didn't stop rocker Eric Leefe Jul 14 Pussycat whipped roaming 1
The Ramones drummer dies Jul 12 RAMONES_RULE 3
Canadian Rock Band The Milkman's Sons Concert G... Jul 10 Stout Man from Stoughton 4
Punk Rock Saved My Life Festival: 9 local - and... Jun '14 Pigtail from The Grove 1
•••
•••
•••
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••