Race row erupts over casting of Angelina Jolie as Cleopatra

Jun 18, 2010 Full story: Freerepublic.com 2,617

She hasn't even been officially confirmed as having the role, but Angelina Jolie is already receiving criticism over her possible portrayal of the legendary Queen of the Nile.

Full Story
First Prev
of 131
Next Last

“Spook is a bad word”

Since: May 10

but CRACKA is okay....lol!

#4 Jun 18, 2010
If they wanted a negro actress to play the part, then maybe a negro should have PRODUCED the film,......hmmmm?

Since: Oct 09

Athos

#5 Jun 18, 2010
Macedonian, classic Macedonian features. No doubt. Angelina's a great actress, good choice.

And why would she be receiving criticism directly? It's a job that was offered to her. Do we need to pass all these decisions by those who are complaining? Give us your email address. Then Hallmark and Hollywood can email all their decisions so you can approve them first. Yeah, whatever.

If I don't like a product, then I just don't buy it or I don't watch it! I never once thought to eliminate it so the rest of the world has to think like me.

But in this case, it's history and some people really need to learn their history and understand that it will not always be on your side or be fair. That's history, it's not up for negotiation or to be "pc".
Barros Serrano

Amherst, VA

#6 Jun 18, 2010
Allegedly Cleopatra was not all that good looking really... she was just very intelligent.

Joli is probably way too good looking for this part.

CLEOPATRA was a PTOLEMY, of Macedonian ancestry. It is NOT established that she had any "black" ancestry at all, and doubtful that she would have, given the Greek/Macedonian propensity for ancestral purity.

Since: Jan 07

Location Shown

#7 Jun 18, 2010

Micheal Jackson is dead, She was next in Line,...
Spikewebbe

Corona, NY

#8 Jun 18, 2010
I thought Angelina Jolie IS Black. Doesn't she have a Black child?

“Lack of Sunlight....”

Since: Jan 08

Cleveland, Ohio

#9 Jun 18, 2010
Angelina playing Cleo is not a big deal, to me any way. She is a Box Office magnet, beautiful, and fun to watch. They didn't use a real British woman to play Lara Croft either.
HUNNYBUN

Johnstown, PA

#10 Jun 18, 2010
This is not the first time that this has happened with Angelina. She caught a lot of flack for playing the role as Mariane Pearl in The Mighty Heart. People raised a stink because Mariane is a 1/4 Black and Ang isn't. There were people that thought that a woman of some color should have played the part. Mariane Pearl wanted Angelina to play the part and she had repeatedly said that to no avail...it did nothing but fell on deaf ears. Mariane also said that she identifies herself as being more French then African and to HER it was no big deal.

Location Shown

#11 Jun 18, 2010

Maybe they want The Movie to Be a Success',...

Smokin Joe

Washington, DC

#12 Jun 18, 2010
Y'all are just dumb. Angelina has Black and Indian in her from her mother's side. Just look at her features. She ain't no regular White girl.

Athos

#13 Jun 18, 2010
On her father's side, Jolie is of Czechoslovak and German descent and on her mother's side she is French Canadian and is said to be part Iroquois.

Could she have some black from way back? Who knows. Maybe. Who cares. Who checks that far back. I certainly don't care.
Skeptic

Sturbridge, MA

#15 Jun 18, 2010
Bread and circuses (circi) They need to keep us distracted while they dismantle the Constitution of the United States, at some point, we'll wake up under a harsh dictatorship, everyone will wonder,'when did it happpen?'
Big Time wrote:
Maybe they want The Movie to Be a Success',...

“Just me”

Since: Dec 08

london

#16 Jun 18, 2010
Why the row over Angelina Jolie being given the role of Cleopatra?
Angelina Jolie has more of the features common with mediterranean women.She"s not too pale and not too skinny.Besides Cleopatra had Greek roots so it would be sane to use someone like Angelina Jolie or even Kim Kardeshian(though all she knows is booty shaking).But then if they had choosed Naomi Watts or Paris Hilton i would have found something wrong in their choices because both women are just too damm pale and just too damm blond.

“Just me”

london

#17 Jun 18, 2010
Barros Serrano wrote:
Allegedly Cleopatra was not all that good looking really... she was just very intelligent.
Joli is probably way too good looking for this part.
CLEOPATRA was a PTOLEMY, of Macedonian ancestry. It is NOT established that she had any "black" ancestry at all, and doubtful that she would have, given the Greek/Macedonian propensity for ancestral purity.
Well if she was not too that good looking i wonder why the Emperor of Rome was humping her back in the day.
Mixed Zimbabwean

UK

#18 Jun 18, 2010
I don't like her false tits.

“Just me”

london

#19 Jun 18, 2010
Smokin Joe wrote:
Y'all are just dumb. Angelina has Black and Indian in her from her mother's side. Just look at her features. She ain't no regular White girl.
You have a point.
A typical way a white girl looks

http://www.dagsavisen.no/multimedia/archive/0...
A picture of Angelina Jolie
http://thefaust.files.wordpress.com/2008/08/a...
We can all spot the difference.
HUNNYBUN

Johnstown, PA

#20 Jun 18, 2010
Luved your comparison Othello. That is one hell of a difference. I think Angelina's features are very much Native American...more angular then your typical square or round features of a very white Euro. I know this sounds very sterotypical of me to say, but Native Americans do have the very high cheekbone feature that stands out in comparison to other races, but then again, I have seen a whole heck of a lot of Swedes with that same angular high cheekbone thing going on to.

Who cares really, Ang, has always been my idol, and I think that she's drop dead gorgeous. But beauty is and always has been "in the eyes of the beholder".

“Just me”

london

#21 Jun 18, 2010
HUNNYBUN wrote:
Luved your comparison Othello. That is one hell of a difference. I think Angelina's features are very much Native American...more angular then your typical square or round features of a very white Euro. I know this sounds very sterotypical of me to say, but Native Americans do have the very high cheekbone feature that stands out in comparison to other races, but then again, I have seen a whole heck of a lot of Swedes with that same angular high cheekbone thing going on to.
Who cares really, Ang, has always been my idol, and I think that she's drop dead gorgeous. But beauty is and always has been "in the eyes of the beholder".
You know i used to think that Angelina was a native american woman because she just looked too native american.Though her parents might be white she doesnt look at tht white.

Location Shown

#22 Jun 18, 2010

She ain't No Field Hand,...

Location hidden

#23 Jun 18, 2010
SpookBuster wrote:
If they wanted a negro actress to play the part, then maybe a negro should have PRODUCED the film,......hmmmm?
I will cosign this.
Smokin Joe

Washington, DC

#24 Jun 18, 2010
othello_81 wrote:
<quoted text>
You have a point.
A typical way a white girl looks
http://www.dagsavisen.no/multimedia/archive/0...
A picture of Angelina Jolie
http://thefaust.files.wordpress.com/2008/08/a...
We can all spot the difference.
Well I don't don't know about those pics. But here is one when she was 16. She does look exotic. Look at her lips.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_fKyHFjiwcVI/SAiTXMU...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 131
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Biography Movies Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
What You Said - Barrymore Back on TV? After Mic... (Oct '06) 54 min Barrymore Is Vile 42,577
STARNES: Tennessee school's Nation of Islam han... 16 hr Bael 25
20000 Americans Convert To ISLAM Each Year (May '12) Nov 19 Ravenclaw 783
How well do you know the Gettysburg Address? Nov 16 Hate gettysburg 3
Soap actor Don Stewart dead at age 70 (Feb '06) Nov 14 wfehrh 19
Tony Casas, 77; Former Prisons Official Worked ... (Sep '07) Nov 13 Pussie Hole 715
On This Day: Malcolm X Assassinated (Feb '09) Nov 8 Mujahid 46

Biography Movies People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE