Harley-Davidson CEO got $6.4M pay package in 2010

Full story: The York Daily Record

Harley-Davidson Inc. CEO Keith Wandell received compensation valued at $6.4 million in 2010, up 1 percent from 2009, when the executive spent only eight months on the job.

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 20 of67
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
PBR me ASAP

Camden, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 14, 2011

Judged:

Good for him!

“a bag and a douche combined”

Since: Feb 11

Dover, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 14, 2011

Judged:

I certainly wouldn't mind this pay package. these guys are quite a bit more talented than a silly athlete or good looking actor who makes the same pay grade.

curious though if he actually owns a harley.

Since: Jun 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 14, 2011

Judged:

News Item: Harley-Davidson CEO Keith Wandell received
compensation valued at $6.4 million dollars in 2010.

Wandell receives compensation that is astronomical in view of the concessions conceded to by the workers and those who chose to resign to keep the company solvent. This is absolutely intolerable. Executive jobs require talented decision makers who can delegate tasks to talented aides and rank and file; but in the face of a company that scared employees into conceding or they would move to Tennessee, this is an outrage. And no, I don't believe sports figures are worth what they are paid either, and they are prone to disabling injuries.

Mr. Wandell should re-invest a fair amount of his atrocious compensation into Harley; to improve sales
even more, rehire those who quit to "SAVE" the York and
Milwaukee production facilities, and at least provide
pay incentives of some value to those who stayed and
made the stated earnings possible.

Instead, he will assume he is solely responsible for
Harley's successful 2010 performance, and completely
miss the continued anger the general public has toward
corporations whose greed is overpowering this country's
attempts to recover a balanced cost of living.

Congratulations on a job well done, Mr. Wandell. What
will you do to earn the respect of your employees other
than shareholders and the rank and file who benefit
from the worker sacrifices that make you so special?

John Tierney
West Manchester Township
To Bad

Elkridge, MD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 14, 2011

Judged:

To bad we can't hire him to straighten out the mess with the teachers union.
Two Too Tutu 2 Bad

New Freedom, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 14, 2011

Judged:

To Bad wrote:
To bad we can't hire him to straighten out the mess with the teachers union.
I agree. Then they could learn how to teach children spelling, punctuation and grammar - unlike back in your day.
Downtown Resident

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 14, 2011

Judged:

Mr Tierney, he didn't get a $200mil swing by giving union workers extra benefits and overtime. He did it by trimming the fat, getting rid of dead weight, breaking down the unions and making the manufacturing process more efficient. Do you know for a fact there weren't bonuses handed out? That raises weren't provided to those who proved their worth to the company? That temporarily layed off and furloughed employees weren't brought back? Maybe you were one of them, maybe you're a sore union employee who banked on the fact that you would be saved by big brother and you weren't. I dont know, but I know this, that man made that kindof money because he did his job and he saved a company, if you were in a position to do the same you would expect to be compensated for it just as he was.
Say no to baby Factories

York, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 14, 2011

Judged:

Downtown Resident wrote:
Mr Tierney, he didn't get a $200mil swing by giving union workers extra benefits and overtime. He did it by trimming the fat, getting rid of dead weight, breaking down the unions and making the manufacturing process more efficient. Do you know for a fact there weren't bonuses handed out? That raises weren't provided to those who proved their worth to the company? That temporarily layed off and furloughed employees weren't brought back? Maybe you were one of them, maybe you're a sore union employee who banked on the fact that you would be saved by big brother and you weren't. I dont know, but I know this, that man made that kindof money because he did his job and he saved a company, if you were in a position to do the same you would expect to be compensated for it just as he was.
Very nicely put. Factual yet not degrading anyone involved. Thank you.
m1inland

East Berlin, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 14, 2011

Judged:

And they wonder why people are being layed off and loosing their jobs. NO BODY needs that much money to sit on his butt all day.
Say no to baby Factories

York, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 14, 2011

Judged:

m1inland wrote:
And they wonder why people are being layed off and loosing their jobs. NO BODY needs that much money to sit on his butt all day.
If you were the individual responsible for turning around a company as big as Harley, you would deserve the money. Being that you are a fry cook at McDonalds, you deserve nothing.

Since: Jun 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 14, 2011

Judged:

Thank You, Downtown Resident. I am not a member of Harley, don't own one, and am not a union member. My
disappointment lies in the fact that although he may have performed admirably in stabilizing Harley; there
were the 'we'll move away' threats to coerce the cooperation of the workers. That was not an admirable
tactic. And the 'furloughed employees' might have needed to be released, but I don't know that, and have to rely on what I followed in the news and from
employees; the few that I know.

But you must agree that this is not the time in our country or economy where wounds are reopened from the banking scandals; and I'm sure you know at least one or two families, no matter whose fault, that lost their homes to foreclosure in an atmosphere where their lending institutions froze
'favors in lending', as it were, as a result.

As a former 'contracted worker'(no bennies, etc)
who was paid strictly on performance, I can respect
Mr. Wandell's ability to succeed. But for several
million dollars in compensation that might partly be better served in marketing and manufacturing to
return Harley to what it was and not simply creeping back slowing in view of our stagnant economy; because the Wall Street-Congress-Banking
debacle is in stalemate; the consumer be damned?

Again, I respect your point of view. I'm taking the side of the long working people who have found themselves unappreciated and left out in the cold.
John
m1inland

East Berlin, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 14, 2011

Judged:

Say no to baby Factories wrote:
<quoted text>
If you were the individual responsible for turning around a company as big as Harley, you would deserve the money. Being that you are a fry cook at McDonalds, you deserve nothing.
Sorry Clown wrong guess on the job!!! Mechanic and Manager of a well established business for 31 years.As far as Harley being turned around, I guess thats why there are so many still with out a job.
Say WHAT

Milwaukee, WI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 14, 2011

Judged:

When unions build their empire and refuse to bargain down when required, the tactic is necessary, and it is paying dividends today. Those who chose to be part of creating change were rewarded. 6M is a drop in the well for having a CEO who will make the tough decisions. Living within one's means and being financially responsible goes a long way toward avoiding foreclosures, even if one loses his job. Same concepts apply to the business world.
TierneyNotes wrote:
Thank You, Downtown Resident. I am not a member of Harley, don't own one, and am not a union member. My
disappointment lies in the fact that although he may have performed admirably in stabilizing Harley; there
were the 'we'll move away' threats to coerce the cooperation of the workers. That was not an admirable
tactic. And the 'furloughed employees' might have needed to be released, but I don't know that, and have to rely on what I followed in the news and from
employees; the few that I know.
But you must agree that this is not the time in our country or economy where wounds are reopened from the banking scandals; and I'm sure you know at least one or two families, no matter whose fault, that lost their homes to foreclosure in an atmosphere where their lending institutions froze
'favors in lending', as it were, as a result.
As a former 'contracted worker'(no bennies, etc)
who was paid strictly on performance, I can respect
Mr. Wandell's ability to succeed. But for several
million dollars in compensation that might partly be better served in marketing and manufacturing to
return Harley to what it was and not simply creeping back slowing in view of our stagnant economy; because the Wall Street-Congress-Banking
debacle is in stalemate; the consumer be damned?
Again, I respect your point of view. I'm taking the side of the long working people who have found themselves unappreciated and left out in the cold.
John
Screwed by HARLEY

York, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 15, 2011

Judged:

m1inland wrote:
I agree; after 31 years with Harley my best friend is losing her job on March 31, three years shy of full retirement. With all good performance reviews for 31 years in the end it means nothing. She is non-union with no protection so I guess in some respects the union at times is a good thing for the employee.

Harley is getting rid of many senior qualified employees, including most white females with serious health problems then replacing some with contract people. Yes they are keeping the lazy junior less qualified minorities many with disciplinary issues throughout their employment with Harley.

Makes one wonder if there is some sort of unlawful discrimination going on, I would love to see some smart attorney sue Harley in a class action suit. I AM SURE is the attorney would take his cut out of the back end where the affected employees did not have to put money up front there would be a long line to tell their stories….

Heck one junior female who took pictures of her boobs then showed them around including to top management at Harley York was promoted to a supervisor position; makes you wonder what goes on at those after work bar gatherings and back room deals…… YES, she is a KEEPER…..

I would not buy a Harley if my life depended on it. Harley-Davidson used to be a people friendly place to work at least under the older management / owners, NO MORE....

I guess the CEO can be paid 6.4 million pay package for 2010, someone has to suffer, get screwed so he can get his, after all isn’t this the New American Way……
PBR me ASAP

Camden, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 15, 2011

Judged:

TierneyNotes wrote:
Thank You, Downtown Resident. I am not a member of Harley, don't own one, and am not a union member. My disappointment lies in the fact that although he may have performed admirably in stabilizing Harley; there were the 'we'll move away' threats to coerce the cooperation of the workers. That was not an admirable tactic.
And a union strike and/or threat of a strike is admirable? These union thugs will strangle a company for as much as they think they can get.
PBR me ASAP

Camden, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 15, 2011

Judged:

m1inland wrote:
It's pretty clear that you have things that you don't NEED. Just because you're not capable of running a huge company doesn't mean that you should be able to decide what is enough for someone who can. Who are you to judge what is enough? There are tens of millions of stooges like you who could do your job as well or better than you, but very few who can run a large company. You have to pay for performance.
The Historian

Johnson City, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 15, 2011

Judged:

There is truth in both sides of the conversation. For one, executive compensation in the United States is totally out of control. Look at the statistics about multiples of executive salaries vs first line employee salaries over the years. It is totally out of control and boards of directors, who set compensation policy are made up of the same folks. Mr. Wandell has done a good job for the short term, and should be compensated, but so much? And what is the longer term impact of all the loss of technical competencies? On the other hand, unconstrained unions for many years were successful in negotiating complicated restrictive work rules that protected many incompetent workers, not all by a long shot, but much of the energy on both sides of the table were spent on protected those who should not have been protected. No matter what side we might have been on, we all contributed to creating the problem. What we need to do going forward, is figure out how we can work together to ensure the weak and powerless are not totally over run by those with power. That is what is going on in business and in government as we continue to point fingers at each other.
PBR me ASAP

Camden, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 15, 2011

The Historian wrote:
There is truth in both sides of the conversation. For one, executive compensation in the United States is totally out of control. Look at the statistics about multiples of executive salaries vs first line employee salaries over the years. It is totally out of control and boards of directors, who set compensation policy are made up of the same folks. Mr. Wandell has done a good job for the short term, and should be compensated, but so much? And what is the longer term impact of all the loss of technical competencies? On the other hand, unconstrained unions for many years were successful in negotiating complicated restrictive work rules that protected many incompetent workers, not all by a long shot, but much of the energy on both sides of the table were spent on protected those who should not have been protected. No matter what side we might have been on, we all contributed to creating the problem. What we need to do going forward, is figure out how we can work together to ensure the weak and powerless are not totally over run by those with power. That is what is going on in business and in government as we continue to point fingers at each other.
Do you know when and why executive pay went through the roof? Wait for it... when the governement got involved by passing laws designed to rein in salaries.

http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/content/...

It was well intentioned policy to shame companies into lowering compensation, but it backfired when CEO could see what other CEOs were making. Go figure... public policy with unintended consequences. Sound familiar? And you folks want more government in your lives?
The Answer Man

Dover, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 15, 2011

Judged:

m1inland wrote:
<quoted text>Sorry Clown wrong guess on the job!!! Mechanic and Manager of a well established business for 31 years.As far as Harley being turned around, I guess thats why there are so many still with out a job.
Ummm....... Harley's a business, not a charity. When a business turns around, it goes from a bad position to a better one. Making a profit of $146 million after losing $55 million the year before is just that. Now if it were a charity, then how many people it employed would indicate how well it was doing. Now since you seem to think that businesses should be run as charities, why don't you hire someone to be either the mechanic or the manager where you work? Then you won't have to occupy both positions.
Comrade Obama

Dover, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 15, 2011

Judged:

Screwed by HARLEY wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree; after 31 years with Harley my best friend is losing her job on March 31, three years shy of full retirement. With all good performance reviews for 31 years in the end it means nothing. She is non-union with no protection so I guess in some respects the union at times is a good thing for the employee.
Harley is getting rid of many senior qualified employees, including most white females with serious health problems then replacing some with contract people. Yes they are keeping the lazy junior less qualified minorities many with disciplinary issues throughout their employment with Harley.
Makes one wonder if there is some sort of unlawful discrimination going on, I would love to see some smart attorney sue Harley in a class action suit. I AM SURE is the attorney would take his cut out of the back end where the affected employees did not have to put money up front there would be a long line to tell their stories….
Heck one junior female who took pictures of her boobs then showed them around including to top management at Harley York was promoted to a supervisor position; makes you wonder what goes on at those after work bar gatherings and back room deals…… YES, she is a KEEPER…..
I would not buy a Harley if my life depended on it. Harley-Davidson used to be a people friendly place to work at least under the older management / owners, NO MORE....
I guess the CEO can be paid 6.4 million pay package for 2010, someone has to suffer, get screwed so he can get his, after all isn’t this the New American Way……
It was friendly because all the over paid employees were in a good mood. I would be too If I got paid $50 an hour but was only worth $15. Now that things are getting tougher and people are affraid of losing those over paid jobs they're not so friendly!
hdmilwaukee

New Berlin, WI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 15, 2011

Judged:

PBR me ASAP wrote:
<quoted text>
It's pretty clear that you have things that you don't NEED. Just because you're not capable of running a huge company doesn't mean that you should be able to decide what is enough for someone who can. Who are you to judge what is enough? There are tens of millions of stooges like you who could do your job as well or better than you, but very few who can run a large company. You have to pay for performance.
the only stooge is you

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 20 of67
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Discussions

Search the Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Is a Sportster truely a Chick Bike? (Apr '09) Apr 17 Oz-biker 37
What is the best, all around, everyday Harley? (Apr '09) Apr 11 Jim b 19
Harley-Davidson Tries To Quiet Motorcycle Noise... (Jul '08) Apr 11 Motorcycle Partner 293
Harley driven up by possibility Honda may buy it (Jun '07) Apr 11 Motorcycle Partner 303
Motorcyclist dies after hitting elk in Mesa County (Jul '13) Apr 11 Nelsonr 2
Trucking to Disaster by Carl Icahn Apr 7 SHYKORA PAUL arts 1
Biker angered at huge repair bill after Harley ... (Sep '09) Mar 30 hrtsgn7 38
•••
•••
•••
•••