Alfonso Soriano leads Cubs over Reds 5-3

The Cubs have been waiting for Alfonso Soriano to go on one of his patented hot streaks since the middle of May. Full Story
First Prev
of 5
Next Last
South Southside Cubs Fan

Germantown, TN

#1 Jul 25, 2009
tak'n care of bizness

Sori appears ready to break out / ARam looking good

7-2 in the second half

Go Cubs Go
Bauer

Indianapolis, IN

#2 Jul 25, 2009
Nice win today. Soriano's seems like he's about to go on a really hot streak. Good to see Bradley smack a homer off the bench.

What's wrong with Heilman, though? Just when you think he's going to drop his ERA under 4, he gives up 2 homers.

“<insert witty comment here>”

Since: Jul 07

Arlington Heights, IL

#3 Jul 25, 2009
See what happens when you move Soriano down in the order??? This is where he should have been all along. There are plenty of others who can bat leadoff, but he's a slugger and he needs to be in a spot where he can drive in some runs (assuming Aramis leaves any for him to drive in, L0L!)
Idee ote Cubs Fans

Chicago, IL

#4 Jul 25, 2009
World Series Wooo!
World Series Wooo!
World Series Wooo!

Did you see who sung the stretch today? It was awesome! Woo!
durocher

United States

#5 Jul 25, 2009
nova0311 wrote:
See what happens when you move Soriano down in the order??? This is where he should have been all along. There are plenty of others who can bat leadoff, but he's a slugger and he needs to be in a spot where he can drive in some runs (assuming Aramis leaves any for him to drive in, L0L!)
The Cubs won 97 games last year with Soriano leading off.
Sorry ano

Sparta, NJ

#6 Jul 25, 2009
nova0311 wrote:
Appreciate your comments earlier today.
Sorry ano

Sparta, NJ

#7 Jul 25, 2009
durocher wrote:
<quoted text>
Part of the reason they were the worst 97 win team I ever saw. Do you recall his playoff performance? Guess not.
Bauer

Indianapolis, IN

#8 Jul 25, 2009
durocher wrote:
<quoted text>
Lou will probably move him back to leadoff soon, now that he's getting hot.

Soriano's not your conventional leadoff man, but with this lineup, when everyone's hitting anywhere close to their capabilities, I like him leading off just fine. If we didn't have any other sluggers, it would be a different story...

The importance of lead-off man is a little overstated, anyway, I think, since most of the time your leadoff hitter doesn't lead off an inning more than once or twice a game.
Sorry ano

Sparta, NJ

#9 Jul 25, 2009
Anyone interested in 4 tix for Fenway tomorrow?
Sorry ano

Sparta, NJ

#10 Jul 25, 2009
Bauer wrote:
<quoted text>
Lou will probably move him back to leadoff soon, now that he's getting hot.
Soriano's not your conventional leadoff man, but with this lineup, when everyone's hitting anywhere close to their capabilities, I like him leading off just fine. If we didn't have any other sluggers, it would be a different story...
The importance of lead-off man is a little overstated, anyway, I think, since most of the time your leadoff hitter doesn't lead off an inning more than once or twice a game.
That is a totally absurd comment?
Bauer

Indianapolis, IN

#11 Jul 25, 2009
Sorry ano wrote:
<quoted text>
Part of the reason they were the worst 97 win team I ever saw. Do you recall his playoff performance? Guess not.
I agree that was the most disappointing 97-win team I've ever seen, but I wouldn't attribute their early exit from the playoffs to having Soriano lead off.

Dempster was lousy in Game 1, the entire infield did a 4 Stooges impersonation (which wasn't funny), and nobody hit -Ramirez went A.W.O.L., just like Soriano and everyone else. And the biggest reason, I think, they lost, is that Lou mismanaged the team. I thought he should have gotten everyone to relax, and have fun -instead, he did things like calling all the Latino players together and challenging their manhood.
NW Fold Art

Pittsburgh, PA

#12 Jul 25, 2009
Who'd a thunk it? Soriano and Bradley homering in the same game!!!!
Bauer

Indianapolis, IN

#13 Jul 25, 2009
Sorry ano wrote:
<quoted text>
That is a totally absurd comment?
Why?
Sorry ano

Sparta, NJ

#14 Jul 25, 2009
Leadoff gets more AB than any other slot in the lineup, and the hitter is supposed to be a spark plug to the offense, and ... I'll let others explain it to you.
Bauer

Indianapolis, IN

#15 Jul 25, 2009
Sorry ano wrote:
Leadoff gets more AB than any other slot in the lineup, and the hitter is supposed to be a spark plug to the offense, and ... I'll let others explain it to you.
Yes, leadoff gets more at-bats. But not much -everyone usually gets 4 or 5 a game. And the leadoff hitter generally gets to lead off only the first inning, maybe one other inning.

As far as being a spark plug, when Soriano is hot, there's no bigger spark plug on the team. Ramirez is the most clutch hitter, but no one can spark the offense like Soriano has the past 2 seasons and is starting to again.

I can see by your screen name I won't change your mind at all, and I myself am not a fan of some of the things Soriano does, but I do think he's talented and is fine leading off when he's hot and the team pulls out of it's collective hitting slump.

Just my opinions, man, take 'em with a grain of salt, if you like...
Bauer

Indianapolis, IN

#16 Jul 25, 2009
nova0311 wrote:
When everyone is living even up to half of their potential, 8 out of 9 in the starting line-up are sluggers. Soriano, Lee, Ramirez, Bradley, Fukudome, Soto, Theriot... even Mike Fontenot can hit a homer on any given day. And when Big Z is pitching, it's 9 out of 9.

My argument is that it's okay to lead off with Soriano in this line-up -but again, only when everyone's living up to half their potential.

“<insert witty comment here>”

Since: Jul 07

Arlington Heights, IL

#17 Jul 25, 2009
Sorry ano wrote:
Anyone interested in 4 tix for Fenway tomorrow?
That would be sweet. I want to sit in the Monster Seats!
Disgusted

Manteno, IL

#18 Jul 25, 2009
I will start off by saying I am a Sox fan. But there is something that irritates me. How can anyone be a "bad" 97 win team? That is moronic. You win 97 games, you are a good team. The playoff performance was sorry. But 97 wins is still a hell of an accomplishment. Some of my fellow Sox fans have got to get over it. Remember when the Sox were "winning ugly"? I hated that as well. When you win, you win. That's the purpose of the game.
Thomas Arnold

Santa Barbara, CA

#19 Jul 25, 2009
I used to only listen to conventional wisdom when it came to a line-up, but seeing as how I have always been an advocate of independent thinking, over the second half of my life I have started to look at a line-up with fresh eyes (especially after I started managing.) And you know what, I think that Soriano, when he is on (which, honestly, has been the majority of his career,) is the most productive lead-off hitter in baseball.

Think about it.

The best hitter on our team should be in the top half of our line-up. Also, if this hitter can also run, then there is no problem with having him hitting lead-off, because when he gets on, he has the speed to get knocked in by our slower sluggers like Ramirez, Soto, Hoffpauir, Fox, etc. And try to remember that he can put a team in an immediate hole, which, when the rest of the line-up is performing, should only deepen as the game progresses.

I would disagree with most any other power hitter hitting in the lead-off position, but Soriano, with his speed, need for fastballs, power, etc. just seems to be a perfect fit.
Ernie

Hesperia, CA

#21 Jul 25, 2009
Thank God for the Cubs as it now appears the Sox are in total collapse mode after the Buerle gem.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Cincinnati Reds Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Arrieta tosses 1-hitter, Cubs beat Reds 7-0 Sep '14 Laughing Bear Fan 1
Arrieta takes no-hitter into 8th, Cubs blank Reds Sep '14 pdmorgs 1
This is embarrassing Sep '14 leesburg 2
Recap: Pittsburgh vs. Cincinnati Aug '14 rgrock 1
Reds overcome Soler's HR, beat Cubs 7-5 Aug '14 bob 3
Cincinnati Reds Live Stream Aug '14 gecore 2
Cubs come from behind for 9-4 win over Reds May '14 BionicBippy 1

Cincinnati Reds People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE