The strange and sad life of an unlikely soldier

May 29, 2011 Full story: Illawarra Mercury 21

BRADLEY Manning, the 23-year-old army private alleged to have been behind the biggest US government leak of all time, is now in Fort Leavenworth military jail, Kansas.

Full Story
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Since: Dec 08

Medina, TX

#1 May 29, 2011
Cry me a river for this poor little mistreated waif.
Parden pard

Whitehall, PA

#2 May 29, 2011
OK,,,? I give up. WTF did he do,,, to get arrested ,,,???(great journalism)

Since: Dec 08

Medina, TX

#3 May 29, 2011
Parden pard wrote:
OK,,,? I give up. WTF did he do,,, to get arrested ,,,???(great journalism)
Gave military secrets to WikiLeaks

Since: Aug 09

Silver Spring, MD

#5 May 29, 2011
The stuff he leaked was only "Secret," and had zero impact compared to something like Ellsberg's leak.

Millions of US government employees have access to those State Dept. cables.

Almost the only notable thing in those cables is why Hilary Clinton or the State Dept. wanted employees and agents to get DNA samples of foreign dignitaries or politicians from used drinking glasses.

The well known (not in the idiotic mass media you all take you information on this case from) reason for getting DNA samples is that our lovely government can use it to make just one person in a while room of people violently ill. It's the precursor to those "designer drugs" we keep hearing about - except they're "designer sickening agents." I bet lots of M.D. s violated their oaths to help develop them, too, just like many professionals helped craft and carry out and enable the US torture programs.

Now, who will be put in jail for decades? Manning, or those involved in torture and crafted sickness?
Rosehippi

Eugene, OR

#6 May 29, 2011
Let that kid go and jail the real culprits... He is just a kid...
Lousy journalism... so much info I might be crushed by it...

“New & Improved..”

Since: Oct 07

Formerly From Kenya

#7 May 29, 2011
If there's something wrong, those who have the ability to take action have the responsibility to take action.

“bless the USA”

Since: Apr 07

Location hidden

#8 May 29, 2011
Rosehippi wrote:
Let that kid go and jail the real culprits... He is just a kid...
Lousy journalism... so much info I might be crushed by it...
23 is a "kid"? He is an adult and responsible for his actions. Screw him.

Since: Apr 08

Location hidden

#9 May 29, 2011
justaguess wrote:
If there's something wrong, those who have the ability to take action have the responsibility to take action.
Those that volunteer and take an oath have a responsibility to uphold that oath.

"I,(NAME), do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; and that I will obey the orders of the President of the United States and the orders of the officers appointed over me, according to regulations and the Uniform Code of Military Justice. So help me God."

No where does it say 'except when I don't agree.'

“Don't let the trolls,,,”

Since: May 11

put booboos on your feelings,,

#10 May 29, 2011
Whenever there are humans involved in the security of information, there will be leaks. I worked in various comm centers during time in the Marines. They would cover up machines that weren't being repaired so info wasn't easily glanced upon but they weren't always watching to make sure the info wasn't compromised.
In this case, for some strange reason, with all of the info that was available, there was no safeguard in the system that would throw up a red flag when the info was downloaded.
Unfortunately, even the most intelligent don't always have the best foresight when setting up things.
Howard the Duck

Winter Springs, FL

#11 May 29, 2011
Kenhunt wrote:
<quoted text>
23 is a "kid"? He is an adult and responsible for his actions. Screw him.
"Screw him"??? Excuse me, that's what they're doing to him in jail!

Since: Aug 09

Silver Spring, MD

#12 May 29, 2011
Bama Yankee wrote:
<quoted text>
Those that volunteer and take an oath have a responsibility to uphold that oath.
"I,(NAME), do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; and that I will obey the orders of the President of the United States and the orders of the officers appointed over me, according to regulations and the Uniform Code of Military Justice. So help me God."
No where does it say 'except when I don't agree.'
Your babbling misinterpretations have nothing to do with whistle blowing.

And people at the highest levels of the military and the Executive branch leak to the press all the time to advance a particular policy or to advance their own careers.

Naturally you're too ignorant to learn the facts of this case, or to know what selective enforcement is, or to see what hypocrisy is, nor will you ever be able to break out of the fundie black and white thinking pattern that typifies xstain cultists.

Since: Apr 08

Location hidden

#13 May 29, 2011
corrective_unconscious wrote:
<quoted text>
Your babbling misinterpretations have nothing to do with whistle blowing.
And people at the highest levels of the military and the Executive branch leak to the press all the time to advance a particular policy or to advance their own careers.
Naturally you're too ignorant to learn the facts of this case, or to know what selective enforcement is, or to see what hypocrisy is, nor will you ever be able to break out of the fundie black and white thinking pattern that typifies xstain cultists.
You, and the politicians that share your viewpoint are what has dragged this once great country down into the sewer.

“New & Improved..”

Since: Oct 07

Formerly From Kenya

#14 May 29, 2011
Bama Yankee wrote:
<quoted text>
Those that volunteer and take an oath have a responsibility to uphold that oath.
"I,(NAME), do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; and that I will obey the orders of the President of the United States and the orders of the officers appointed over me, according to regulations and the Uniform Code of Military Justice. So help me God."
No where does it say 'except when I don't agree.'
Yes, I know those words, I took that oath in 1977. The basis of that entire oath is built into our Constitution.(Although I used the paraphrase from Nickolas Cage in National Treasure)..our country must be based on truth or it is nothing to say that I am an American. I am not defending this kid, his problems are beyond country. He should not have been there to begin with, his superiors knew this and failed to remove this threat before it even happened, they also have broken their oath. This story went far beyond someone 'agreeing'.

“bless the USA”

Since: Apr 07

Location hidden

#15 May 29, 2011
Howard the Duck wrote:
<quoted text>"Screw him"??? Excuse me, that's what they're doing to him in jail!
Keep at him, a 23 year old coward and traitor. Yes, screw him.
Rico

Guatemala

#16 May 29, 2011
Bama Yankee wrote:
<quoted text>
Those that volunteer and take an oath have a responsibility to uphold that oath.
"I,(NAME), do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; and that I will obey the orders of the President of the United States and the orders of the officers appointed over me, according to regulations and the Uniform Code of Military Justice. So help me God."
No where does it say 'except when I don't agree.'
I take it that you really think that these words are an intelligible oath...
This group of English words are what’s called 'Babble' and to top it off, it's written to be used in the future, not now...

Anytime you see/use words like; to, will, shall, these are 'Future-tense' and do not apply to now...
The U.S. has dumbed-down the masses to such an extent that they are incapable of communication except for grunts and body-language along with using words that they don't have a clue as to what they really mean...

This so-called OATH is fraud of the English-language a crime of itself...

Manning has an obligation to report criminal-acts, using the chain of command would be fruitless, so he used WiKileaks to report the wrong-doing…
By exposing these acts to the public, has assured him of his safety while in captivity as a ‘Federal-Witness’…

“268th Attack Hel Bn”

Since: May 07

AH-1S Cobra

#17 May 30, 2011
Bama Yankee wrote:
<quoted text>
You, and the politicians that share your viewpoint are what has dragged this once great country down into the sewer.
We were never required to follow an illegal order though. Contrary to the common perception that soldiers are mindless drones, you and I both know that soldiers have a responsibility to asses the moral and legal ramifications of an order before blindly following it.
That said, There is a process for addressing those type grievances, and that doesn't include spilling one's guts to Wikileaks.

Since: May 11

Location hidden

#18 May 30, 2011
Rotor Head wrote:
<quoted text>We were never required to follow an illegal order though. Contrary to the common perception that soldiers are mindless drones, you and I both know that soldiers have a responsibility to asses the moral and legal ramifications of an order before blindly following it.
That said, There is a process for addressing those type grievances, and that doesn't include spilling one's guts to Wikileaks.
GREAT POST!! we swear allegiance to THIS COUNTRY, illegal orders blindly followed are the trappings of dictatorships, not a democracy. We depend on our soldiers to do the right thing and even though it is never easy, honor this country when it would be much easier to be like the animals that massacre innocents.
Face it, most Generals and Admirals are political first. The ones who question are quietly removed for ones who will do anything to further their career.
Some of the crap on wikileaks was just plain embarrassing to the diplomats who authored the dispatches. I dont buy the smoke screen that this is all about national security.
If proper security procedures were in place, this simply NEVER WOULD HAVE HAPPENED!!

“bless the USA”

Since: Apr 07

Location hidden

#19 May 30, 2011
Rico wrote:
<quoted text>

Anytime you see/use words like; to, will, shall, these are 'Future-tense' and do not apply to now...
The U.S. has dumbed-down the masses to such an extent that they are incapable of communication except for grunts and body-language along with using words that they don't have a clue as to what they really mean...
This so-called OATH is fraud of the English-language a crime of itself...
Manning has an obligation to report criminal-acts, using the chain of command would be fruitless, so he used WiKileaks to report the wrong-doing…
By exposing these acts to the public, has assured him of his safety while in captivity as a ‘Federal-Witness’…
The oath is to swear to what one will do in the future, not at the moment of taking the oath. Your premise is stupid...and practically illiterate.

Stupid too is your premise that had the little coward reported knowledge of a crime his chain of command would have been fruitless. As it stands, what crimes were found in the things he leaked to Wiki that have sense been investigated and prosecuted?

“bless the USA”

Since: Apr 07

Location hidden

#20 May 30, 2011
since
Rico

Guatemala City, Guatemala

#21 May 30, 2011
Kenhunt wrote:
<quoted text>
The oath is to swear to what one will do in the future, not at the moment of taking the oath. Your premise is stupid...and practically illiterate.

Stupid too is your premise that had the little coward reported knowledge of a crime his chain of command would have been fruitless. As it stands, what crimes were found in the things he leaked to Wiki that have sense been investigated and prosecuted?
Just my point, all the government would/has do/done is ignore and deny any wrong doing...
Public knowledge must be part of this equasion, you want an instance of criminal acts by the military, the murdering of the reporters and ambulance personnel by the chopper-crew for just one...

My premise of the 'Future' is factual, none of us will ever get there!
Nor will any of us return to the past, we live in 'Now', communication is grammar, say what you mean, mean what you say, not this corporate-speak-crap, that is Opinion, Assumption, Presumption and Guessing...

Title 18, section 1001 & 1002 forbids fraudulent writings, possession and passing of these writings for the taking of money, rights and property...
Modifying nouns/facts in legal documents is a crime, punishable by five-years prison and $5000.00 fine...
Then we have 'Misprison of a Felony' to know of a crime and not report it, is criminal, look it up, educate yourself...

Our nations people are so stupified that true communication is impossible, the justice-system is a trillion-dollar business just to tell you what you mean, because you don't practice the 'Language Procedures' of the 'English-Language'...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Fort Drum Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Eastern Kentucky soldier dies in Afghanistan (Feb '14) Feb '14 Cameron 1
After years at war, the Army adapts to garrison... (Jan '14) Jan '14 QUEEN 2
Fort Drum aviation unit released from seven-day... (Nov '13) Nov '13 Riparian 2
DOD Identifies Army Casualty (Sep '13) Sep '13 Ayo Beyo 3
Judge won't dismiss aiding the enemy charge in ... (Jul '13) Jul '13 tguy 2
Wheeler-Sack Army Airfield readies thousands of... (May '13) May '13 Outside resident 1
Shawn Raymo Watched Wife, Jessica Raymo, Have O... (Oct '12) Apr '13 DotDashDashDotDot 16
More from around the web