Miss Tennessee Picnic to be crowned Sunday evening

Aug 2, 2009 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Newport Plain Talk

One of the highlights of the biannual Tennessee Picnic Association celebration is the Tennessee Picnic pageant.

Comments
1 - 18 of 18 Comments Last updated Mar 8, 2010

Since: Jul 09

Mount Juliet, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#1
Aug 6, 2009
 
You know, I kinda feel like America has moved past the need for beauty pageants. They seem a bit irrelevant, trite, and a waste of money. If young women need to showcase their talents or find a way to create self-esteem, there are other outlets. Why are people still interested in these things anymore?
Just observing

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#2
Aug 7, 2009
 
Another excuse to gawk at smiling flirty women? Like having a livestock show-off contest? Advertising for a mate ? Instead of giving attention to build up another's talents or THEIR self-esteem, or to give another person knowledge or information, the attention is entirely showered upon the participants. But there probably are benefits; do they outweigh the message we are sending young girls? Would men's beauty pageants be as popular ?!
hmmm

Knoxville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#3
Aug 7, 2009
 
SadAmerica wrote:
You know, I kinda feel like America has moved past the need for beauty pageants. They seem a bit irrelevant, trite, and a waste of money. If young women need to showcase their talents or find a way to create self-esteem, there are other outlets. Why are people still interested in these things anymore?
Are you kidding? America in NO way has moved past the need for beauty pagents. We have beauty pagents for kids that are only a few months old all the way up thru grandma pagents.

Beauty pagents are extremely superficial. It's insane to line up women and for women to be willing to parade around in a bathing suit so someone can pick who they think looks the best.

There is much more to a person that they way they look, how much they weight, how tall they are, or how perfect their hair is. But yet that's seems to be all that matters. Not only in beauty pagents, but in getting a job, or anything else in this country.
Miss TP more than a title

Fort Washington, MD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#5
Aug 20, 2009
 
It is an honor to be crowned Miss Tennessee Picnic. This is an African American tradition for the "black folks" of Newport, Tennessee for many.. many.. years. At least 25 years that I can remember. I live in Washington, DC and I come to visit my family in Newport, TN yearly. Ever since I was a little girl, I always look forward to the bi-annual 8th of August celebration to include the Miss Tennessee Picnic Pageant. So again this particular pagent is rich in history not superficial.
Somebody

Knoxville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#6
Aug 21, 2009
 

Judged:

1

Miss TP more than a title wrote:
It is an honor to be crowned Miss Tennessee Picnic. This is an African American tradition for the "black folks" of Newport, Tennessee for many.. many.. years. At least 25 years that I can remember. I live in Washington, DC and I come to visit my family in Newport, TN yearly. Ever since I was a little girl, I always look forward to the bi-annual 8th of August celebration to include the Miss Tennessee Picnic Pageant. So again this particular pagent is rich in history not superficial.
So are you saying this pagent is ONLY for black women? Kind of sounds racist. If a pagent were started and it were stated it was only for white women you can bet it would be called racist.

I agree with a previous poster....beauty pagents are extremely superficial. It's just a way of telling women and young girls you have to look a certain way or be a certain size to be pretty and that simply is not the case. Well that or have the right parents. I remember a while back a kid who won everything she entered for years and the ONLY reason she won was because her father who was a well known person in the comminity had died.
Amd before my comment is attacked - it is a WELL KNOWN fact that she only won because of the death of her father. It was even stated by judges that they gave it to this kid because of that.
webster

Saint Louis, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#7
Aug 21, 2009
 
So who won?
bigdog

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#8
Aug 30, 2009
 
i would like to clarify something about this particular pageant some of you are missing the big picture. this bi-annual event is celebrated every other year by the african americans of newport, tennessee. it pays tribute to the struggles of our rich heritage during an era of slavery. the winner of this years pageant is just expressing her joy of being voted the winner. this bi-annual event consists of more than a beauty pageant as it is enjoyed by all who attend over a seven day period. I am 45 years old and i too can remember the good times shared with friends and family over the years.

newport is where i call home. i'm sure you can figure the rest out...
The Right Rev

Knoxville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#9
Aug 31, 2009
 

Judged:

2

2

1

Who cares? If you're a left leaning militant woman's right commando, don't watch, participate, or discuss it. Why not mind your own business instead of imposing your belief system on others? And to what end? You won't be changing anyone's mind. You won't stop parents from entering, sponsoring, organizing and condoning these types of "events". You'll just make your life even more miserable than it was before- and that CAN'T be good for anyone.

These things reek of white trashiness, futility and hopelessness- but if they (the collective "they") enjoy them- why do you care? And please spare me your knight in shining armor analogies about saving innocent little girls. No one is buying it.
PROUD 2 White

Knoxville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#10
Aug 31, 2009
 
Here you are giving advice about minding your OWN Business, And you can't even follow your own advise. And yes It is a racist thing. If White people had a big picnic, I betcha there would ALOT of African AMERICANS Bitching about it! Think how all The African Americans use the race CARD!!!!!
The Right Rev wrote:
Who cares? If you're a left leaning militant woman's right commando, don't watch, participate, or discuss it. Why not mind your own business instead of imposing your belief system on others? And to what end? You won't be changing anyone's mind. You won't stop parents from entering, sponsoring, organizing and condoning these types of "events". You'll just make your life even more miserable than it was before- and that CAN'T be good for anyone.
These things reek of white trashiness, futility and hopelessness- but if they (the collective "they") enjoy them- why do you care? And please spare me your knight in shining armor analogies about saving innocent little girls. No one is buying it.

Since: Mar 08

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#11
Aug 31, 2009
 

Judged:

1

I wonder if the Black people would let Perez Hilton judge their Contest ?
cosbygrl

Springfield, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#12
Feb 15, 2010
 
Beauty pageants are extremely beneficial for young girls. I have participated in pageants since I was eight years old and have improved my life because of pageants. They force young girls to stay in shape, boost confidence levels, allow girls to show off their beauty, and earn money for college. They also provide a chance to experience rare opportunities that many girls do not get to experience. Thanks to pageants I have met several people from all over the country and made many friends. Also they are not judged just on beauty and looks but national pageants require extensive hours of practice to work on talent routines and involve long conversations with the judges who give lots of points based on personality and intelligence. Now many pageants also require contestants to preform many hours of community service. It is obvious that pageants have changed and require more than they used to but pageants can result in a participant becoming more well-rounded and productive. Many people who participate in pageants don't regret doing them. Neither do I.
Jerri

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#13
Mar 7, 2010
 
It is truly and honor to be honored ms. TN Pinic. No the TN pinic is not racist it does not say for black women only. Not only do they do the pagent that night but there is a pagent for small children boys and girls and what they do is raise money and that money goes for scolarships For the young ladies that win. For your information I put a little girl in the pagent last year she was an Hispanic I worked my ass off for and guess what she won. Everbody was delighted anyone can be in the pagent and it is fun and we always need more girls.
Chewbaccas Angry Wife

Knoxville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#14
Mar 7, 2010
 

Judged:

1

1

1

Victims for life card just like our piece of shit president which is the worst in US history.

Socialism = the death of the US
Tommy

Morristown, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#15
Mar 7, 2010
 
Chewbaccas Angry Wife wrote:
Victims for life card just like our piece of shit president which is the worst in US history.
Socialism = the death of the US
I agree... Socialism is just a sign of the end times... I hope and pray he dont get elected. HE has lied enough...
Memphis Jigg aboo

Olive Branch, MS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#16
Mar 7, 2010
 
Jerri wrote:
It is truly and honor to be honored ms. TN Pinic. No the TN pinic is not racist it does not say for black women only. Not only do they do the pagent that night but there is a pagent for small children boys and girls and what they do is raise money and that money goes for scolarships For the young ladies that win. For your information I put a little girl in the pagent last year she was an Hispanic I worked my **** off for and guess what she won. Everbody was delighted anyone can be in the pagent and it is fun and we always need more girls.
Can I bees in it too?? I have sum purty teeths!
amazed

Newport, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#17
Mar 8, 2010
 
well here we go it took about 10 posts for this thread to turn not only away from the topic but to get down right mean way to go ladies and gentlmen im white and yoiur racist post pise me off i can imagin what the african american people on here are feeling be proud poeple ill pray for you
Memphis Jigg aboo

Olive Branch, MS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#18
Mar 8, 2010
 
amazed wrote:
well here we go it took about 10 posts for this thread to turn not only away from the topic but to get down right mean way to go ladies and gentlmen im white and yoiur racist post pise me off i can imagin what the african american people on here are feeling be proud poeple ill pray for you
Well, sometimes they calls me 'ol nasty, whut of it?
Sassy

Caryville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#19
Mar 8, 2010
 
It is not an honor to win a little kids pageant in which the winner is the ones who raises the most money. The little kids are exploited to raise money for the winner in the young woman's category. How much is the scholorship?

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Physiotherapists are not doctors: MCI (Apr '08) 16 hr shrey 1,850
Full Accreditation Status Awarded to Harding Un... Aug 7 Charles27 1
How Physical Therapists Use Laser Therapy Jul 30 kevin 1
No, JAMA does not now recommend chiropractic ca... Jul '14 Chiropractor from... 4
Harding University Physical Therapy Program Awa... Jul '14 guest 1
Slouch at Your Own Peril Jun '14 Alise 1
NJ Spinal Care Offers New Freezing Therapy Jun '14 Dr Basim Elhabashy 2

Search the Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation Forum:
•••