San Francisco, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 15, 2006

Judged:

While lifting weights (bench pressing 315 lbs), I tore my left pectoral muscle and tendon from the bone -- this confirmed by an MRI. Surgery is scheduled 5 days out.

What can I expect from a recovery angle? I'm nearly 32 years old and have lifted for the past 18 years. I'm not too concerned with regaining 100% of my shape and strength, but rather want to make sure I can function relatively normal in everyday life (playing with my son, "normal" exercise, etc.). Can you experts out there reassure me that all can, and should, be well?

What can I be doing now to best set myself up for 100% recovery?
Marc

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 30, 2006

Judged:

You should have no trouble with everydqay activities after surgery. It will take some time to recover good function (4-6 months) and can probably get back to lifting although most likely you will not be as strong. All of this of course depends both on the skill of your surgeon and your participation in rehab.
Marc

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 30, 2006

Judged:

Sorry. Didn't finish. As for now. Do not take anti-inflam. meds or vitamin E, stop smoking and plan to stay if cigs. afterwords if you some, and avoid excessive amounts of alcohol.

BEST OF LUCK
Susan

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 29, 2006

Over 24 years I've had three bilateral mastectomies, each involving some removal of the major and minor pectoralis region. Doc's tell me I have virtually no pectoralis region remaining. They also tell me, my continued determination to move in a near-normal fashion has caused overcompensation by back muscles, which has, over time, resulted in strain to the vertebral spine requiring neurosurgery. It seems strange to me that my "positive attitude" could have, in the long run, been to my detriment. Does this sound plausible to you? What function of the pectoralis is related to posture, remaining upright, and walking? WHere can I find this information?
Kitty

Stockton, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 12, 2006

I need some information on removal of major pectoralis muscle.

I have reason to believe it was removed during a mastectomy-- without my consent. The dr. is being evasive~ by saying there was prior radiation damage to the pec muscle so no implant was done--

The op report does NOT say it "removed the pectoralis muscle" It just says - in view of atrophy of the pec minor muscle and very little pec major muscle remaining - patient was closed etc.

I certainly feel the hollowness of where the muscle should be [comparative to the right breast pec muscle

What is the best way to find if it is gone i.e.
x-ray, ultrasound -MRI - or just visual by a plastic surgeon or expert in mastectomies??
Or perhaps a link with images showing removed major pec muscles?

Thank you in advance for some input.......I am in horror of the fact that removal of either muscle was not warranted at all- because I am seriously deformed.
Kitty
Katy

Reedley, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 17, 2006

Hi
My post was pretty much relative to your question [for which either of us have yet receved an answer..]]
"that my "positive attitude" could have, in the long run, been to my detriment. "
The thing is about dissection [removal] of pectoralis muscle is that a surgeon has a fiduciary duty to disclose to you PRIOR to surgery and again after -- that its removal will cause your performance to be restrictive. And he should have warned you about that prior to surgery.
The ONLY reason a pec muscle is ever removed, is if the cancer has invaded it-- otherwise, removal is not necessary - at all! Your present injury could be alleged as subsequent injury of your mastectomy- BECAUSE you were not warned to be cautious of new injury - i.e. your spine.
My surgeon not only didn't disclose it was removed during mastectomy - which means the muscle was removed without my consent. In your case - it sounds like you were forwarned that it was being removed but with no disclosure that it would have such consequences.
In your case it means non-disclosure which is part of informed consent- If you did not consent to muscle removal that is battery. The legal tap dance around that [by a dr.] is.......would the patient refused the procedure IF she had been informed of the possible outcomes?
If you cannot say you would NOT have consented to the procedure [which is unlikely IF you were diagnosed with cancer] then you have legal standing to go after the critter for malpractice. However, if there was cancer in the muscle - and they told you so- that is different.
InIn my case - it means "battery". I intend to -go after the critter. I was never told the muscle had been removed - and I did not have cancer in it.
Hope this helps a little??
The above is my opinion only - you would have to see an attorney for confirmation. However, if you get this reply and wish to further discuss this - we can do email
Good luck!
Katy
Susan wrote:
Over 24 years I've had three bilateral mastectomies, each involving some removal of the major and minor pectoralis region. Doc's tell me I have virtually no pectoralis region remaining. They also tell me, my continued determination to move in a near-normal fashion has caused overcompensation by back muscles, which has, over time, resulted in strain to the vertebral spine requiring neurosurgery. It seems strange to me that my "positive attitude" could have, in the long run, been to my detriment. Does this sound plausible to you? What function of the pectoralis is related to posture, remaining upright, and walking? WHere can I find this information?
Katy

Saint Helena, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 18, 2006

Judged:

THIS SITE IS EVIDENTLY WORTHLESS.........
NOBODY HOME..........
GREG 13

Meriden, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 20, 2006

I SEEM TO DO SOMTHING TO MY LEFT PECTORAL MUSCLE. THERE IS NO PAIN WHATSO EVER BUT I CANT FLEX IT OR LIFT MUCH AT ALL ON THAT SIDE AT THE GYM? NO BRUISING EITHER
chad

Omaha, NE

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 19, 2006

Judged:

I tore my chest muscle like 2 years ago. i wanted to know if it was too late for surgery and if it is what can i do to strenghthen it
mom of football player

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 14, 2007

Our son tore and retore his pec muscle during two different college football games. He was told by teams docs to do nothing and live with the deformity. We didn't listen to this and got Dr Matava ( Rams surgeon) to fix him after the football season. He was sewn together with Kevlar stitches ( the bullet proof stuff) and is expected to fully recover. His two tears were between muscle and tendon which we were told by others could not be fixed. Don't give up and find the best surgeon you can if you have this injury. Dr. Matava gave my son back his football career.
mark raitanen

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 14, 2007

Nate wrote:
While lifting weights (bench pressing 315 lbs), I tore my left pectoral muscle and tendon from the bone -- this confirmed by an MRI. Surgery is scheduled 5 days out.
What can I expect from a recovery angle? I'm nearly 32 years old and have lifted for the past 18 years. I'm not too concerned with regaining 100% of my shape and strength, but rather want to make sure I can function relatively normal in everyday life (playing with my son, "normal" exercise, etc.). Can you experts out there reassure me that all can, and should, be well?
What can I be doing now to best set myself up for 100% recovery?
I tore my left pectorial muscle sept 1 96. Benching 325 lbs. You can definitly function with little to no pain in time ( 4 to 5 weeks ) I have decided to have the surgery Jan. 25. 97 Its a tough decision but I dont feel I will ever be happy ( being broken ) Im 43 and my surgen indicated surgery was not manditory. They will be screwing anchors into my arm and sewing the muscle to it. Good luck. 2wheels@twmi.rr.com
scott

Bellflower, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 23, 2007

hi,

Do you happen to have Dr. matava contact info?
I can't find a doctor that will reattach my pectoral muscle.

thanks
scott
reece

Miles, IA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 6, 2007

Marc wrote:
Sorry. Didn't finish. As for now. Do not take anti-inflam. meds or vitamin E, stop smoking and plan to stay if cigs. afterwords if you some, and avoid excessive amounts of alcohol.
BEST OF LUCK
Why not take anti inflam or vitamin E i am currently on both and have just torn my pec muscle 5 days ago? could you please respond. thanks
Rhys

London, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 11, 2007

going for mri 2mor and getting the op next week in Cardiff Wales. Tore my pec playing rugby! Any idea on rehab and what kind of time scale it'll be before I can play again. thanks
djlynchmob

Oceanside, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 21, 2007

i just got my results back from my mri. they said i have about a 85% to 90% tear in my pec. they said the tear is from the muscle to the tendon. i know that is bad from what i am reading but i can find out how long i will be out from the gym, i just wanna get back in there how long do you think i will be out and do you think i will ever get back to 100%? THANKS
hello

Fort Huachuca, AZ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 7, 2007

I was wondering who is your doctor and was wondering did the doctor said if you will regain your strength
BostonBob

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 9, 2007

I'm 51.5. Tore my pec bench pressing on April 22, 2006. I had just lifted 7 reps @ 225, tore it on 245.
Hurt a little, Bizarre bruise from left elbow, "flabby lower arm" up to chest. Very easy to spot.
I got an Operation @ Mass General/Dr Holovak on 5/16/06. Could'nt ask for anyone better. Listened, confident, competent. I now have a thin 3-4 inch scar where Dr H reattached.(4 screws to Pec)
My recovery was No Pain,(only took 1 percocet) which I was lucky with. I was in a sling for about a month, drove even though they said I shouldn't. I worked my PT, stretching, light weights just like they told me. Now I can do 10 reps @ 180.
NO Pain, Barely think about it. No fun BUT
on to bigger and better/BBH
REECE

Miles, IA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 9, 2007

I tore my pec a few months ago and took time off and it got pretty good i keep lifitn on it now i usually only bench once a week becouse it usually sore for a while after i bench. But i was bench and i went twice in one week and now my pec almost feels like it did the firt time i tore it. Theres no brusing or anything but it prolly hurts to much to do push up. Im 16 and really seeking some advice. Also it was posted above not to take vitamin E of anti inflamatorys...can some one explain this to me...Can i please get some feed back.
mike

Roseville, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 11, 2007

I completely tore my pectoral major muscle 6 weeks ago. Had surgery to reattach the tendon to the bone 4 weeks ago and just got out of my sling yesterday. Before surgery i couldnt flex my pec muscle, but now i can tell it is there and can flex it a little bit and i am able to move my arm to the top of my head. I would recomend having surgery if you tore your pectoral major. I read that with surgery you can expect about 98% regain of strength and without about a 55% regain. Ive been searching on if if will be able to lift heavy weights again, ive been seeing a lot of NFL players had the same sugery and have been able to return within 6 months. Someone get back to me if they have some info or are in the same predicament
philip

Brooklyn, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 18, 2007

tore my left pec tendon benchpressing 325 on the 3rd rep. i'm 44 years old and trying to decideif i should have the surgery. if anyone has had the surgery i would love to hear from you thanks

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 123
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Orthopaedic Surgery Discussions

Search the Orthopaedic Surgery Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Orthopedic surgery generally safe for patients ... Mon Shelly Slader 1
Mystery Pain in Leg after Metal Rod Placement (Apr '09) Jul 26 Sheree 206
inner knee pain after acl surgery (May '08) Jul 22 Dan don 121
Fully-Torn Triceps Tendon (Jan '11) Jul 20 Walt 173
Open Book Pelvic Fracture (Feb '12) Jul 17 Lynden 27
Pectoralis muscle tendon tear Jul 16 Genti 1
Pain in Right knee after having a rod placed in... (Aug '10) Jul 4 Steve 34
•••
•••