Ohio Supreme Court Rules Smoking Ban Constitutional

May 23, 2012 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Cincinnati CityBeat

Since 2006, the Ohio Smoke-Free Workplace Act has banned indoor smoking at public establishments and places of employment, making Ohio the first Midwestern state to enact a state-wide ban.

Comments (Page 19)

Showing posts 361 - 380 of1,193
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Hugh Jass

Nashville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#422
Jun 1, 2012
 

Judged:

2

2

1

Freedom wrote:
<quoted text>
Since the smoke generated from grilling is known to be highly carcinogenic...surely you support this lawsuit....right?
http://washingtonexaminer.com/local/dc/2010/1...
Ah, yes, the same old same old line of crap and pretext of analogy.

Never mind, of course, that it has nothing whatsoever to do with whether or not SHS exposure can be detected. You just go plowing right on ahead with this antediluvian drivel of yours and act as if you were posting a rational reply to my post.

Anyone ever tell you you're a bore, boor?
Frisbee

Seattle, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#423
Jun 1, 2012
 

Judged:

2

2

1

Freedom wrote:
Property rights and individual liberty are simply not part of your kinds evil plans.
Look you nut, your kinds left wing policies have brought pretty much the entire planet to it's knees. You and your ilk have stompled on the constitution as you place our children into perpetual debt..
Your kinds days are numbered...so enjoy this insanity while you still can.
Take a good look around you lefty..........your kinds beloved Fascistic TSA, and all of the other unconstitutional insanity your kind heaped upon a once free nation
Which of my "communist, lefty, insane, liberal, nazi, blah, blah" ilk created the TSA and Patriot Act, you bloviating simpleton?
pops

Hamilton, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#424
Jun 1, 2012
 

Judged:

1

1

1

BluesCat1980 wrote:
<quoted text>
I live in a low income housing building. I can't afford to live anywhere else. So no, it's not B.S.
I happen to know that there is more than one low income apartment in any town. Still no reason to not grow up & quit whining.
Did you or do you expect to live in this one place all of your pansy life?
Frisbee

Seattle, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#425
Jun 1, 2012
 

Judged:

1

1

pops wrote:
I happen to know that there is more than one low income apartment in any town. Still no reason to not grow up & quit whining.
Did you or do you expect to live in this one place all of your pansy life?
Ahh, pops. Held it together there for a bit, didn't you?

Speaking of quitting whining, when are you going to stop?
pops

Hamilton, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#426
Jun 1, 2012
 
Hugh Jass wrote:
<quoted text>
For not intending to be mean, you seem to be willing to be pretty mean. You also are stepping into territory that you apparently know little to nothing about.
I don't know the specifics of the housing program involved, but I do know that those who really can't afford housing in today's economic reality (and there ARE such in the US--don't let all the BS and PR about helping people in other countries fool you on that one) without the help of a government program have few options. If you add to the general list of problems an inability to remain healthy enough to find/fulfill employment because of something like inescapable clouds of tobacco smoke in your home, it becomes that much tougher.
It's a "catch 22" situation. If the smoke weren't causing such disruption, then perhaps he/she could get it together to be able to move somewhere else--but if the smoke weren't causing such disruption, maybe he/she would be happy where he/she is. Too, but for the chronic debility caused by the smoke, he/she might actually be able to find a way off the housing program.
It isn't as cut and dried as you want it to be.
being direct & clear does not necessarily constitute mean.
I used to build/remodel many many units expressly for section 8 tenents.
YOU use the word 'disruption' a number of times. Since when is there any 'right' or protection to NOT be disrupted?
You also alluded to 'chronic debility' caused by the smoke. Who the heck stated anything about a chronic debility? One can NOT make up a fact to have a valid position.
I guess that the complaniant can be patiant & wait for the smoker to die & then there will be no reason to complain.
With the whiney attitude of so many today, America would have never survived the Great Depression or WWII, everyone would have just laid down & quit. We would be speaking Japanese & German unless they fought each other for what would be the scraps of America.
There is & has been NO promise that life would be easy. In fact it is niave to expect it to be easy. I suggest that more people grab their bootstraps, buck-up, select positive goals that DO NOT limit the lawful rights others & pursue those goals. Anyone can whine, successful people do NOT.
pops

Hamilton, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#427
Jun 1, 2012
 
Frisbee wrote:
<quoted text>Ahh, pops. Held it together there for a bit, didn't you?
Speaking of quitting whining, when are you going to stop?
To accuse me of whining because of these posts exhibits your level of delusion or your lack of valid arguement. Maybe both. Then there's possible weak mental compacity.
Kyboy

Ft Mitchell, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#428
Jun 1, 2012
 

Judged:

1

1

1

Frisbee wrote:
<quoted text>What I do for a living has nothing to do with the fact that you LOSE. Get over it.

Or don't. Keep watching Fox News and whining.

I'll be down at the pub enjoying a smoke-free happy hour. The smokers will be there too. They aren't oppressed and neither are you. You're just a Drama Queen.
I do not think your as free as you say.

Take a look.

Last week the Mercatus Center released the latest edition of its “Freedom in the 50 States: An Index of Personal and Economic Freedom.” The index ranks states on public policies that affect economic, social and personal freedoms. Unfortunately, Washington state ranked 40th on the list—10th worst, in other words.

“Washington is still among the 10 least-free states,” the report states.“Indeed, it only barely cracks the top half of states in personal freedom.”

New Hampshire was ranked the most-free state, while New York was rated the least-free.

The Mercatus Center’s analysis was critical of the following regarding Washington state:

• An abundance of government debt

• Too-high government employment

• Centralized land-use planning

• The highest minimum wage in the nation

• High taxes on cigarettes and alcohol

• Extensive smoking bans

• Bans on using handheld cell phones while driving

• Extremely tight education regulations

On the positive side, Washington state earned kudos for:

• Reasonable gun laws

• Not having sobriety checkpoints

• A low rate of victimless-crime arrests and sensible drug-law enforcement

More good news, according to the report:“Washington was among the states that improved the most in overall freedom and consequently moved up five spots in the rankings.”

Policy recommendations from the study include reducing state spending and employment, enacting further-reaching eminent domain reform, and repealing or amending the Growth Management Act and Shoreline Management Act.

I watch NBC enjoy all the lies from the left. When I really want fun I watch the madcow show. It's so amazing how they brainwash people.

Hope you enjoyed your beer.
pops

Hamilton, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#429
Jun 1, 2012
 
By the way, ALL of the legislation in world does NOT save ALL of the stupid people in the world. I don't mean the low IQ, Autistic, handicapped etc. I mean the stupid people that make stupid decisions & then expect someone to 'save' them from themselves.
And those that believe in Darwinism don't want to save them. It's called Natural Selection. To try to save them, simply weakens the gene pool. But WE as the more 'intelligent' creatures on earth seem to keep trying to speed our own demise.
Frisbee

Seattle, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#430
Jun 1, 2012
 

Judged:

2

1

1

pops wrote:
By the way, ALL of the legislation in world does NOT save ALL of the stupid people in the world. I don't mean the low IQ, Autistic, handicapped etc. I mean the stupid people that make stupid decisions & then expect someone to 'save' them from themselves.
And those that believe in Darwinism don't want to save them. It's called Natural Selection. To try to save them, simply weakens the gene pool. But WE as the more 'intelligent' creatures on earth seem to keep trying to speed our own demise.
Precisely why cigarettes aren't illegal. What we can do is save ourselves from the stupid people. I could care less what they want to do to themselves. I wholeheartedly encourage smokers to smoke as much as possible, at home. The sooner they achieve their goal of self-destruction, the better.
pops wrote:
To accuse me of whining because of these posts exhibits your level of delusion or your lack of valid arguement.
Well let's see. The bans exist. They are upheld at every turn. Is that one of my 'invalid delusions'? You don't like it, so you whine. Hey pot, you're black, too.
pops

Hamilton, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#431
Jun 1, 2012
 
Frisbee wrote:
<quoted text>Precisely why cigarettes aren't illegal. What we can do is save ourselves from the stupid people. I could care less what they want to do to themselves. I wholeheartedly encourage smokers to smoke as much as possible, at home. The sooner they achieve their goal of self-destruction, the better.
<quoted text>Well let's see. The bans exist. They are upheld at every turn. Is that one of my 'invalid delusions'? You don't like it, so you whine. Hey pot, you're black, too.
Based on your posts, I have decided that your major prob is weak mental compacity.
The earlier poster complained about someone that was smoking at home which is exactly what you now recommend.(delusional on your part) The 'ban' does NOT exist where he/she lives or the person in the other apartment wouldn't be smoking.(delusional)
And the reason that smoking is NOT illegal is because of the jobs growing, curing & marketing that produce revenue for the gov.
It seems that growing tobacco is more profitable per acre than just about any other crop including rice, wheat, corn, cattle, sheep, horses, soybean, cotton etc.(delusional or mental incompacity)
AND YES, YOU are delusional, I am as caucasian as anyone with 100% European ancestry can be.
Hugh Jass

Nashville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#432
Jun 1, 2012
 

Judged:

1

1

1

pops wrote:
<quoted text>being direct & clear does not necessarily constitute mean.
Your choice of words did.
pops wrote:
I used to build/remodel many many units expressly for section 8 tenents.
This is where, if I were being petty, I would say something about finally realizing why they were so lousy. Good thing I'm not like that.
pops wrote:
YOU use the word 'disruption' a number of times. Since when is there any 'right' or protection to NOT be disrupted?
Did I say anything about a "right", or did I simply indicate that disruption took place and caused a problem? The vector for that disruption has been established as an unavoidable and highly toxic mix of gaseous and particulate matter that was produced as a byproduct of the diseased state of a neighbor. The neighbor CHOSE to be diseased, and therefore CHOSE to cause the disruption.
pops wrote:
You also alluded to 'chronic debility' caused by the smoke. Who the heck stated anything about a chronic debility? One can NOT make up a fact to have a valid position.
Let's see, now, the guy posted that he was losing sleep because of the smoke, and was reduced to coughing and wheezing. This indicated something long-term--ergo chronic. Losing sleep and being reduced to coughing and wheezing tend to weaken a person--ergo debility. What world do you live in that these things weren't obvious to you--or was it just that you saw no need for empathy and without that were able to harden yourself to any possibility that these things were relevant?
pops wrote:
I guess that the complaniant can be patiant & wait for the smoker to die & then there will be no reason to complain.
This actually seems like the sort of solution you would support. Of course, by the time of the demise, the "complaniant" would quite likely be on his way to a smoke-related lethal disease--or one that is "chronically debilitating"--without the need for further exacerbation. This would mean that there would be reason to complain for the rest of his (shortened) life.
pops wrote:
With the whiney attitude of so many today, America would have never survived the Great Depression or WWII, everyone would have just laid down & quit. We would be speaking Japanese & German unless they fought each other for what would be the scraps of America.
Yeah, right. You sound like an azmac clone in the processing.
pops wrote:
There is & has been NO promise that life would be easy. In fact it is niave to expect it to be easy. I suggest that more people grab their bootstraps, buck-up, select positive goals that DO NOT limit the lawful rights others & pursue those goals. Anyone can whine, successful people do NOT.
So, you are saying that smokers who are told they may not live in public housing should "grab their bootstraps, buck-up, select positive goals that DO NOT limit the lawful rights others & pursue those goals."
I can agree with that.

Laws change and evolve. Knowledge changes and evolves. What is known now about the impact of SHS on others warrants protection to reduce and/or prevent that impact. Asking that the law evolve to provide that protection is simply good sense. Once those laws are in place, what will the "lawful rights of others" be? The lawful right will be the reasonable expectation of freedom from SHS in your own home if that is what you choose. Smoking in the buildings then will VIOLATE--not just limit--the lawful rights of others.
pops

Hamilton, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#433
Jun 1, 2012
 

Judged:

1

1

1

Duke for Mayor wrote:
<quoted text>
You really are an absolute nutbag,who takes a miniscule bit of truth, mixes it thoroughly with unadulterated bullshiit, and expects others to believe it. Good luck with that.
woof
Hey Duke, Unless you are trying to make "woof' your trademark, Why don't you drop it since it is NOT impressive in any way.
But keep it if you want to.
Frisbee

Seattle, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#434
Jun 1, 2012
 

Judged:

2

2

1

pops wrote:
The earlier poster complained about someone that was smoking at home which is exactly what you now recommend.
The post complained about being poisoned in your own home by your neighbor. Do you also council those who live next to a meth lab to quit whining and move?
pops wrote:
I have decided that your major prob is weak mental compacity.
AND YES, YOU are delusional, I am as caucasian as anyone with 100% European ancestry can be.
The guy who is so stupid that he thinks my reference to 'the pot calling the kettle black' means I'm saying that he's a black man is telling me about weak mental 'compacity'. That's funny.
Frisbee

Seattle, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#435
Jun 1, 2012
 

Judged:

2

2

1

pops wrote:
And the reason that smoking is NOT illegal is because of the jobs growing, curing & marketing that produce revenue for the gov.
Ever hear of marijuana, pops? Kinda blows your little delusion out of the water.
Hugh Jass

Nashville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#436
Jun 1, 2012
 

Judged:

2

2

2

Kyboy wrote:
<quoted text>
I do not think your as free as you say.
Take a look.
Last week the Mercatus Center released the latest edition of its “Freedom in the 50 States: An Index of Personal and Economic Freedom.” The index ranks states on public policies that affect economic, social and personal freedoms. Unfortunately, Washington state ranked 40th on the list—10th worst, in other words.
“Washington is still among the 10 least-free states,” the report states.“Indeed, it only barely cracks the top half of states in personal freedom.”
Well, now we can see how much credence to give you. How many states did you say there were? Oh, yes. Fifty. So, number forty starting from one end is number what starting from the other end?

To give you another chance at the question, I'll invert it as you did. The top ten out of fifty include which ones?

Here are a couple of hints. Eleven, and then forty-one through fifty.

I won't even look at how that qualifies as "barely cracking the top half of states".

You are clearly not someone to look to for any sort of statistical analysis. It's little wonder that your entire tirade has no real relevance to the discussion even if it were true and valid.
Duke for Mayor

Akron, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#437
Jun 1, 2012
 

Judged:

1

1

1

pops wrote:
<quoted text>Hey Duke, Unless you are trying to make "woof' your trademark, Why don't you drop it since it is NOT impressive in any way.
But keep it if you want to.
Thanks for your thoughts Pops. I'll keep it. Maybe I should consider a trademark or copyright, but hey...it really doesn't matter all that much to me. Have a great day.

woof
pops

Hamilton, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#438
Jun 1, 2012
 

Judged:

1

1

1

To Frisbee. You continue to skew, twist & flat out alter the statements of others(NOT just my posts) Is so often convaluted that it is a waste of time & effort to resond to anything else that you have posted to this point.
A dog could bite you on the leg & you would say that you have an itch OR you would have an itch & then you would declare that a dog bit you. You just like to argue even when to the point of changing your position just to argue. What a clueless non-intelligent, contradictory putz you are. I would wish you a good life but your mental compacity would make such a wish useless.
Hugh Jass

Nashville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#439
Jun 1, 2012
 

Judged:

2

2

2

Kyboy wrote:
<quoted text>
I do not think your as free as you say.
Take a look.
Last week the Mercatus Center released the latest edition
By the way, the "Mercatus Center was founded, is funded by, and is guided by the CEO of KOCH industries. This is the sort of freedom THEY want--for themselves, at least:

"On September 22, 2011, business media outlet Bloomberg released an extensive report detailing the results of an investigation it had conducted into allegations by several former Koch employees turned whistle-blower. One whistle-blower detailed her termination after her compliance check had discovered a number of bribery payments made in order to secure contracts in six countries, including Nigeria, Egypt, and Saudi Arabia. Reporters also discovered that Koch companies had traded with Iran through foreign-held subsidiaries, possibly violating US law. Other sources within the article detailed a culture of poor ethics and allegations of outright theft."

Check out that source for yourself:

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-10-02/koch...

I probably wouldn't be too insulted if you suggested that I found your selection of authorities somewhat questionable.
pops

Hamilton, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#440
Jun 1, 2012
 

Judged:

1

1

Duke for Mayor wrote:
<quoted text>
Thanks for your thoughts Pops. I'll keep it. Maybe I should consider a trademark or copyright, but hey...it really doesn't matter all that much to me. Have a great day.
woof
Woof Woof back at ya' LOL! Enjoy dude
Frisbee

Seattle, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#441
Jun 1, 2012
 

Judged:

3

3

2

pops wrote:
To Frisbee. You continue to skew, twist & flat out alter the statements of others(NOT just my posts) Is so often convaluted that it is a waste of time & effort to resond to anything else that you have posted to this point.
A dog could bite you on the leg & you would say that you have an itch OR you would have an itch & then you would declare that a dog bit you. You just like to argue even when to the point of changing your position just to argue. What a clueless non-intelligent, contradictory putz you are. I would wish you a good life but your mental compacity would make such a wish useless.
Learn to spell before you comment on the mental CAPACITY of others.
I have changed my position on nothing. I notice that you can't seem to quote me doing so. Your reading comprehension seems to be right up there with your ability to spell words like 'convoluted' and 'respond'.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 361 - 380 of1,193
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

24 Users are viewing the Medicine Forum right now

Search the Medicine Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
.::Richmond County Daily Journal:: (Dec '07) 23 min Mike Hall 175
A local chiropractor uses pressure points to he... 33 min Chiropractor From Chicago 27
DRDO launches 'Lukoskin' herbal care product fo... (Sep '11) 46 min Nids 979
Experience on purchasing Provigil/ Modalert online (Apr '10) 54 min Mike 79
Lack of psychiatrists hits mental health patients 1 hr humanSpirit 1
A 'Map' Of Smokers Shows How Far Their Influenc... 3 hr BEASTLY 65
World Bipolar Day: how a lack of awareness impe... 5 hr humanSpirit 4
•••
•••
•••
•••