Request made to make parks smoke-free

Jul 5, 2012 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: The Inter-Mountain

Joyce Harris-Thacker, representing a number of Upshur County agencies, recently appeared before the Buckhannon City Council to discuss the Tobacco Free Zones program.

Comments
281 - 300 of 302 Comments Last updated Sep 11, 2012
Hugh Jass

Nashville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 31, 2012

Judged:

Science Is Proven wrote:
Don't you think it's a little strange that the worlds countries with the most smoking and smokeless tobacco use, have such lower cancer rates...and respiratory illnesses?
Don't you think it's a little strange that the people who try to make that argument never bring up the difference in cancer rate and respiratory illness between the smokers and nonsmokers in those countries?
Hugh Jass

Nashville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 31, 2012

Judged:

Trendy One wrote:
Why not put a plastic bubble over the park and pump recycled oxygen into it??? If you are going to go this far...might as well
There's an idea--why not put a plastic bubble around your head while you smoke? That way it doesn't affect anyone else, and you won't LOSE any of that precious stuff. Oh, yeah...it might cause YOU trouble breathing. Well, you could carry around the machinery to scrub and recycle the air, if you were willing to give up the junk the filter would take out. Then, of course, there would have to be a mechanism to hold the ciggie for you, so that you weren't waving sidestream smoke around between puffs.

Oh, well, there are lots of activities that require special equipment.
Science Is Proven

Gypsy, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 31, 2012

Judged:

Hugh Jass wrote:
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
How silly of me.
Example!!!!
Science Is Proven

Gypsy, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 31, 2012

Judged:

Hugh Jass wrote:
<quoted text>
Don't you think it's a little strange that the people who try to make that argument never bring up the difference in cancer rate and respiratory illness between the smokers and nonsmokers in those countries?
Look it up...its not hard to do!!! Not much of a difference at all....just so you know. Besides that...with twice as many users and just a quarter of the problems, seems like something else could be to blame.
Trendy One

Buckhannon, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 31, 2012

Judged:

Hugh Jass wrote:
<quoted text>
There's an idea--why not put a plastic bubble around your head while you smoke? That way it doesn't affect anyone else, and you won't LOSE any of that precious stuff. Oh, yeah...it might cause YOU trouble breathing. Well, you could carry around the machinery to scrub and recycle the air, if you were willing to give up the junk the filter would take out. Then, of course, there would have to be a mechanism to hold the ciggie for you, so that you weren't waving sidestream smoke around between puffs.
Oh, well, there are lots of activities that require special equipment.
Be careful at the park...I heard there are harmful UV rays there from the sun too...maybe we should ban it...oh, and toxic fumes from vehicles....better ban them too!!!!
Science Is Proven

Gypsy, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 31, 2012

Judged:

Trendy One wrote:
<quoted text>
Be careful at the park...I heard there are harmful UV rays there from the sun too...maybe we should ban it...oh, and toxic fumes from vehicles....better ban them too!!!!
lol.....you forgot the fluoride that's in the city water....it too is known to cause cancer!!!!
Ghost

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 31, 2012

Judged:

lol wrote:
<quoted text>
most of what I see when a smoker burned their own house down was falling asleep with one. I used to smoke, it's not hard to see a cigarette is out or not. I personally don't give a damn if the parks are smoke free or not, but I think people should clean up after themselves, smokers or not!
I don't know what you looked at but years ago I was in smoke and fire restoration business and saw it often. I agree that people should clean up after themselves also. The truth is, people don't and there are already laws banning littering. Another law will only serve to separate you from freedom and open the door to more freedoms being taken away. I just can't understand how that is the only thing you picked out of everything I said. This is a case of taking it out of context.
hey hey

Morgantown, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 31, 2012

Judged:

put your bubble on and go away...
just me

Searcy, AR

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 31, 2012

Judged:

Ghost wrote:
<quoted text>I don't know what you looked at but years ago I was in smoke and fire restoration business and saw it often. I agree that people should clean up after themselves also. The truth is, people don't and there are already laws banning littering. Another law will only serve to separate you from freedom and open the door to more freedoms being taken away. I just can't understand how that is the only thing you picked out of everything I said. This is a case of taking it out of context.
what did they miss? I saw where you commented on burning houses. I'm trying to figure out what else was in the comment.
Ghost wrote:
<quoted text>And I am sure those smokers home that burn down thought their cigarettes were out also.
Smoke em if you got em

Buckhannon, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 1, 2012

Judged:

I think you guys are pathetic. I don't think they should allow cars to be driven to parks. I think you idiots should have to ride a horse bare back so that you don't pollute our parks and streams with your exhaust and the bare back part is just so you get to feel as uncomfortable as you make smokers feel!
The answer

Avon, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 2, 2012

Judged:

Smoke em if you got em wrote:
I think you guys are pathetic. I don't think they should allow cars to be driven to parks. I think you idiots should have to ride a horse bare back so that you don't pollute our parks and streams with your exhaust and the bare back part is just so you get to feel as uncomfortable as you make smokers feel!
I think they should ban sex from family reunions in your state, then we would not be reading crap lie this from you.
ItsAFact

Frederick, MD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 2, 2012

Judged:

The answer wrote:
<quoted text>
I think they should ban sex from family reunions in your state, then we would not be reading crap lie this from you.
Hey "The answer" how's the wife and kids and your parents (the twins)?
Reamo

Belmont, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 2, 2012

Judged:

Hugh Jass is the government. Who else would have enough waking hours to post all the crap this person posts. There is no way one person could be such a rabid neo-nazi.
Wink wink

Bridgeport, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 5, 2012

Judged:

Everyone is so worried about second hand smoke. If we war to ban it then let's rip up all the sidewalks in buckhannon cause you might get cancer from exhaust fumes during rush hour
ANon Smoker

Surrey, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 5, 2012

Judged:

I am so sick and tired of people sitting beside me and lighting up a cigarette while waiting for the bus or just sitting anywhere in public. Even if I move somewhere else, someone will come right over to where I am and light another cigarette.

Noone even enforces the no-smoking in public laws that even exists, because the people who are supposed to enforce it smoke themself. It's a complete joke!

I am so sick of it, that I decided to buy a bottle of that Liquid Ass spray off eBay, and God help the next poor sap who lights up beside me when I get that stuff.

I mean, it's only fair that if I have to smell their stinky, toxic fumes, then they should have to endure my stinky spray. Tit for tat is what I say!
Give them what they want

Elkins, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 5, 2012

Judged:

Okay smokers, I have figured it out. Give the nonsmokers what they want. Then when cigarette sales are down and smoker's are no longer making up the 2 dollars a pack tax for the state---then the non-smokers will be paying higher taxes. Wow-maybe some peope just can't be happy. Next the non-smokers will want to be outlawing perfume because- oh my goodness I can smell it when I walk by. LOL
non smoker

Elkins, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 5, 2012

Judged:

i am a non smoker but i still think this is totally STUPID do you think it would be better for a parent to smoke in their cars with their kids on their way to the park instead. i think not. if you dont like the smoke then avoid the smoker but dont discourage people from taking their kids to the park.
Reamo

Belmont, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 6, 2012

Judged:

Try spraying me pboy and I,ll buy you a new set of false teeth. Really tired of a bunch of brainwashed neo-nazis trying to take control!

Since: Jul 12

Buckhannon

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 6, 2012

Judged:

Give them what they want wrote:
Okay smokers, I have figured it out. Give the nonsmokers what they want. Then when cigarette sales are down and smoker's are no longer making up the 2 dollars a pack tax for the state---then the non-smokers will be paying higher taxes. Wow-maybe some peope just can't be happy. Next the non-smokers will want to be outlawing perfume because- oh my goodness I can smell it when I walk by. LOL
or maybe we'll all pay substantially less in taxes since we non-smokers won't continue to underwrite the high cost of medical care for smokers, many of whom don't have insurance. The single biggest cost of medical care in the U.S. is directly attributed to medical treatment rendered to smokers-

Since: Aug 12

Philippines

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 6, 2012

You should smoke moderately because it will just harm your health.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

19 Users are viewing the Medicine Forum right now

Search the Medicine Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Tupelo officials delay vote on e-cigarette ban 4 min Schmones 22
Senate poised to follow House by approving post... 32 min Responsibility 6
NSU tobacco free effective Friday 43 min Comprehension Zero 18
Implications for genetic link to autism 48 min HILARIOUS NONSENSE 9
Guest column: Anti-vaccination movement threate... 49 min HILARIOUS NONSENSE 12
Motorola Solutions Advanced Bar Code Scanning B... 1 hr timjohnson74656 1
Should state mandate immunizations? New require... (May '11) 1 hr Zeke 8,980
•••
•••