380,000 U.S. deaths yearly due to smoking

Jun 12, 2012 Full story: WRVA-AM Richmond 64

Death attributable to smoking is declining, with 200,000 such deaths anually for U.S. men, and 180,000 for women, researchers said.

Full Story

“suck”

Since: Apr 12

Location hidden

#30 Jul 18, 2012
So what?

Since: Jun 12

London, Canada

#31 Jul 18, 2012
shivawia wrote:
So what?
So what ..... If automobile exhaust smelled like cigarette smoke autos would be banned RIGHT ? JR has a point and it is bang right on.

“suck”

Since: Apr 12

Location hidden

#32 Jul 18, 2012
Need A Light wrote:
<quoted text>
So what ..... If automobile exhaust smelled like cigarette smoke autos would be banned RIGHT ? JR has a point and it is bang right on.
That doesn't make sense.
ItsAFact

Frederick, MD

#33 Jul 18, 2012
Need A Urinal Mint wrote:
So do the meth, 380,000 a year, thats a lot of dead stinkies.
And not one death certificate to prove it!!!
Hugh Jass Jr

Wichita, KS

#35 Jul 18, 2012
Translation DUH wrote:
<quoted text> No death certificate would ever say death by smoking or second hand smoke because they call it lung disease. And there would never be a list of contributing factors like being a smoker or a moron. Whoops same thing.
Congrats - this is the first "attempt" at an intelligent statement I have seen from you!- probably the first one with more than 5 words strung together!!
You're right moron - No death cert. COULD ever say "Smoking" or "Second hand smoke" - because NEITHER has been PROVEN to CAUSE any of the diseases that kill - There is ABSOLUTELY NOTHING on SHS ( a lousy -"Possibility"- of a 20-30% increase - ONLY if you spend 35-40 years breathing it!!- what a joke)- and for active smoking - The MOST that there is - are "Links", "possibilities" - increased "RISK FACTORS"
know what else gives you increased "risks" for Lung Cancer?
EATING TOO MUCH (Obesity)- one study found the same risks as smoking - about 950% increased risk
EATING TOO LITTLE (Low Body Weight)
NOT EATING RIGHT - High Fats - low vegetables - not enough Fish and nuts
ENVIRONMENTAL AIR POLLUTION -(Cars, Trucks, Buses, ATV's, Water Craft, Air Craft, Motor Homes, Motorcycles, Etc., Etc.) now being blamed for up to 10% of all cases
INDUSTRIAL AIR POLLUTION ( Factories, Foundries, Power Plants)- in Calf. JUST A FEW PLANTS - are being blamed for 2,000 or more Cancer deaths a year
OCCUPATIONAL CARCINOGENS -(blamed for 20 to 30% of all cases)
TOXIC WASTES - The "Super Funds" are running out - and many of thes dumps will never be cleaned out
FAMILY HISTORY - Risks increase up to 600% if a close relative has Lung cancer
GENETICS - They have ALWAYS known that approx. 10% of all lung cancers are "inherited"
CITY LIVING(compared to rural)- increases risks up to 250%- now look again at the lousy 20-30% increase for SHS - AND THAT IS ONLY IF YOU LIVE WITH IT FOR 35-40 years - this increase is for NON SMOKING women LIVING with smoking husbands - and ONLY in SOME studies - MANY OTHERS show NO INCREASE IN RISK AT ALL!!!
OZONE - Exposure to ozone has been linked to a number of health effects, including significant decreases in lung function,
inflammation of the airways, and increased respiratory symptoms. Exposure can also aggravate lung diseases such as asthma, leading to increased medication use and increased hospital admissions and emergency room visits...In addition, long-term exposure to moderate levels of ozone may cause permanent changes in lung structure, leading to premature aging of the lungs and worsening of chronic lung disease (Read Lung Cancer)
ARSENIC (in drinking water - Mainly wells)- risk increase is up to 300%
Hugh Jass Jr

Wichita, KS

#36 Jul 18, 2012
Continued

COPD - 1 in 4 COPD patients (Smoking or Not) will get Lung Cancer - they have Known this for a long time, but are JUST NOW admitting it!
New studies are showing it is a MUCH GREATER risk than smoking
A full 25% of COPD is in NON SMOKERS - only about 15% in Smokers -- In S. Africa 48% of COPD is in NON SMOKERS!
BTW - Asthema is now being shown to be the #1 cause of COPD

HPV - increases risks up to 1750%- now being considered possibly the MAJOR cause!-( again - they have been seeing this since the late 70's - but everyone has been S-o-o-o "blinded" by their one sided preoccupation with Smoking - that it is just starting to gain attention)

RADON - is attributed to 15% of all lung cancers

AGE - as the years go up - so do the risks - Except in NON SMOKERS - their average diagnosis age is 52 - a smokers average diagnosis age is 71
According to cancer researcher Robert A. Weinberg, "There is no reason to think that cancer is a new disease. In former times, it was less common because people were struck down in midlife by other things. If we lived long enough, sooner or later we all would get cancer."
BTW a 2010 study in Calf. found that NON/NEVER smokers comprised 24% of all lung cancers - only 14% were smokers - the other 62% were "quiters" - most of them being "quit" for 20 years or more and therefor would have the about same risk (according to most studies) as a NON/NEVER smoker does!

IONIZING RADIATION - including medical "scans", body scanners, tanning beds, Power lines ( living within 1/4 mile can increase risks up to 350% or more), Radio (including Cell Phone) waves, "background" radiation (the Sun), nuclear contamination and -

nuclear fallout from all the "above ground" testing during the late 40's through the Mid 60's ( gee - isn't this about the same time that Lung cancer started it's meteoric rise?- you know - the one they decided MUST be caused by all the smokers?) This one has such a BIG ASSOCIATION with lung cancer - that he US gov. got tired of being sued by all those exposed (about 1/3 of the nation)- that it just set up a big "slush fund" to pay out all the cancer claims - to date they have paid out over 5 BILLION - with the average payment per claim of about $60,000.(That's a LOT of claims - it was a LOT of radiation!)

Now add on NATURAL CALAMITIES - Forest Fires, Volcano eruptions, earthquakes, tornadoes & wind storms ( all of them creating dust and Pm2.5 particles), Etc. Etc.

Studies show that contrary to popular belief, only 10% of smokers will actually develop lung cancer during their lifetime.- That info USED TO BE on many of the "Health Org." sites - most of it has "disappeared" during the last few of years.

No Wonder doctors CAN'T claim smoking as a cause of death - Quite simply - it PROBABLY WASN'T!!
Old Guy

Brookville, OH

#37 Jul 18, 2012
Hugh Jass Jr wrote:
<quoted text>
No death cert. COULD ever say "Smoking" or "Second hand smoke" - because NEITHER has been PROVEN to CAUSE any of the diseases that kill
Oregon, Mississippi, and Texas include smoking on their death certificates.

http://www.nytimes.com/1988/09/01/us/oregon-d...

http://www.wtva.com/news/local/story/Death-ce...

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1...
Old Guy

Brookville, OH

#38 Jul 19, 2012
Hugh Jass Jr wrote:
No Wonder doctors CAN'T claim smoking as a cause of death - Quite simply - it PROBABLY WASN'T!!
The doctors at CDC make that claim: "In the United States, cigarette smoking causes about 90% of lung cancers."

http://www.cdc.gov/cancer/lung/basic_info/ris...
ItsAFact

Frederick, MD

#39 Jul 19, 2012
CDC a subsidiary of Johnson & Johnson Inc.
Hugh Jass Jr

Wichita, KS

#40 Jul 19, 2012
Old Guy wrote:
<quoted text>
The doctors at CDC make that claim: "In the United States, cigarette smoking causes about 90% of lung cancers."
This is the same info that that can be found on ALL THE ANTI SMOKING WEBSITES - WORLD WIDE!

The CDC also states - QUITE PLAINLY in one of their publications - that NON/NEVER SMOKERS suffer from - and DIE FROM - MORE SMOKING RELATED DISEASES than smokers do!- so why are they call "SMOKING" related diseases????

BTW - That 90% is based off the SAME "MAGIC NUMBERS" that this article refers to,(estimates based on "Risk factors")- that and the audacity to conclude that if a smoker gets Lung Cancer - IT HAS TO BE FROM SMIKING!!!!- NO NEED TO CHECK FURTHER
Hugh Jass Jr

Wichita, KS

#41 Jul 19, 2012
Old Guy wrote:
<quoted text>
They do this in MOST states - but it has NEVER BEEN STATED AS A CAUSE - ONLY A CONTRIBUTING FACTOR!!!
The anti's want this Info recorded so that they have "strength" for their claims - as I said - there has NEVER BEEN ANY PROOF - SO THEY ARE STILL LOOKING FOR IT - They figure if a few thousand doctors "Tick" a box that asks if smoking may have played a part in a death - they can "PARADE" this as proof.
And do you know what would determine whether the box is "Ticked" or not???- it is a simple question - "Does or has this person EVER SMOKED" - as I said before - that is ALL IT TAKES!- NO NEED TO LOOK FURTHER!
BTW _ the study that you linked to tells you EXACTLY what I stated - it was a study (by the anti smoking movement) to determine if just adding a "check box" to the death certs. would encourage more doctors to claim smoking as a contributing factor.-- and Thanks for the Link - I hadn't seen that study - but I will CERTAINLY be able to use it!
Hugh Jass Jr

Wichita, KS

#42 Jul 19, 2012
Sorry - replied to the wrong post - it was supposed to be this one:

"Oregon, Mississippi, and Texas include smoking on their death certificates.

http://www.nytimes.com/1988/09/01/us/oregon-d ...

http://www.wtva.com/news/local/story/Death-ce ...

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1 ... "
Hugh Jass Jr

Wichita, KS

#43 Jul 19, 2012
I found this - on another article on this forum entitled "Peters stands up for Maori smokers"

When a New Zealand politition challenged medical evidence that smoking causes 5000 deaths a year.(in New Zealand)

This was the response he recieved:
The public health expert (ASH New Zealand) said:
"This figure was not plucked out of the air. You work out from the increased risk that smokers have of developing conditions like lung cancer
"You then work out from the prevalence of smoking among people with those conditions what proportion [of deaths] are due to smoking."

Based on this research, 80 per cent of 1200 lung cancer deaths a year had been found to be related to smoking.

SEE - YOU SIMPLY TAKE THE RISK RATES THAT HAVE BEEN CALCULATED (mostly by the anti-smoking researchers)
And you MULTIPLY THAT BY THE AMOUNT OF SMOKERS WITH DISEASES - and VOILA!-- YOU CREATE THE ACTUAL NUMBER OF DEATHS FROM SMOKING!- INDISPUTABLE EVIDENCE!!

Well WAIT - there was NO BODY COUNT!!- THEIR WAS ABSOLUTELY NO CONCERN OR MENTION OF "OTHER" RISK FACTORS ( literally HUNDREDS)- ANY RESEARCHER - EVEN THE ANTI SMOKERS - will tell you that ALL CANCERS ARE MULTIFACTOIAL - BUT THEY DON'T CARE - Smoking is the ONLY CRITERIA that they use!

This is EXACTLY how it is figured in the US, Europe, Asia - ALL AROUND THE WORLD!!!!

It's ALL "MAGIC NUMBERS" - put out by LIARS and SCUM!!!
Hugh Jass Jr

Wichita, KS

#45 Jul 19, 2012
What Crap wrote:
Hugh Jass small brain. Its your turn to die smokey.
Well I just turned 62 - been smoking (average 2 packs a day) for about 45 years - so I guess it won't be long now!!!

Strange thing - my doc. always says my lungs sound "good and clear"
I can still walk 5 miles - no problems
Just got my license renewed - passed the eye test - no glasses( although I have to admit - it's getting tougher)
Still have all my hair - and all my teeth
And ther's still a REAL GOOD chance i'll outlive you!
Hugh Jass Jr

Wichita, KS

#46 Jul 19, 2012
I have to add;

BUT THERE ARE NO GUARANTEES - NOT FOR EITHER OF US!!
Hugh Jass Jr

Wichita, KS

#48 Jul 19, 2012
What Crap wrote:
<quoted text> Walk off a pier then.
Do some homework "Stink" - there are no piers in Kansas - a few "docks" - but most of them would only put you "waist deep" if you jumped off.

Again - I have to ask - "Does YOR MOMMY know you are playing with the computer again??

If you are representing the anti-smokers - they aught to fire you - you're just embarassing them!!:)
DatsMoLikeIt

Frederick, MD

#49 Jul 20, 2012
I M Crap wrote:
With a Hugh Jass and a small brain. Its my turn to die smokey.
Yes it is.
confederate1989

Glasgow, KY

#50 Jul 20, 2012
Hugh Jass Jr wrote:
Continued
COPD - 1 in 4 COPD patients (Smoking or Not) will get Lung Cancer - they have Known this for a long time, but are JUST NOW admitting it!
New studies are showing it is a MUCH GREATER risk than smoking
A full 25% of COPD is in NON SMOKERS - only about 15% in Smokers -- In S. Africa 48% of COPD is in NON SMOKERS!
BTW - Asthema is now being shown to be the #1 cause of COPD
HPV - increases risks up to 1750%- now being considered possibly the MAJOR cause!-( again - they have been seeing this since the late 70's - but everyone has been S-o-o-o "blinded" by their one sided preoccupation with Smoking - that it is just starting to gain attention)
RADON - is attributed to 15% of all lung cancers
AGE - as the years go up - so do the risks - Except in NON SMOKERS - their average diagnosis age is 52 - a smokers average diagnosis age is 71
According to cancer researcher Robert A. Weinberg, "There is no reason to think that cancer is a new disease. In former times, it was less common because people were struck down in midlife by other things. If we lived long enough, sooner or later we all would get cancer."
BTW a 2010 study in Calf. found that NON/NEVER smokers comprised 24% of all lung cancers - only 14% were smokers - the other 62% were "quiters" - most of them being "quit" for 20 years or more and therefor would have the about same risk (according to most studies) as a NON/NEVER smoker does!
IONIZING RADIATION - including medical "scans", body scanners, tanning beds, Power lines ( living within 1/4 mile can increase risks up to 350% or more), Radio (including Cell Phone) waves, "background" radiation (the Sun), nuclear contamination and -
nuclear fallout from all the "above ground" testing during the late 40's through the Mid 60's ( gee - isn't this about the same time that Lung cancer started it's meteoric rise?- you know - the one they decided MUST be caused by all the smokers?) This one has such a BIG ASSOCIATION with lung cancer - that he US gov. got tired of being sued by all those exposed (about 1/3 of the nation)- that it just set up a big "slush fund" to pay out all the cancer claims - to date they have paid out over 5 BILLION - with the average payment per claim of about $60,000.(That's a LOT of claims - it was a LOT of radiation!)
Now add on NATURAL CALAMITIES - Forest Fires, Volcano eruptions, earthquakes, tornadoes & wind storms ( all of them creating dust and Pm2.5 particles), Etc. Etc.
Studies show that contrary to popular belief, only 10% of smokers will actually develop lung cancer during their lifetime.- That info USED TO BE on many of the "Health Org." sites - most of it has "disappeared" during the last few of years.
The U.S. national annual background dose for humans is approximately 360 mrem. A mrem, or millirem, is a standard measure of radiation dose. Examples of radiation doses from common medical procedures are:

Chest x-ray (14 x 17 inch area)- 15 mrem

Dental x-ray (3 inch diameter area)- 300 mrem

Spinal x-ray (14 x 17 inch area)- 300 mrem

Thyroid uptake study 28,000 mrem to the thyroid

Thyroid oblation - 18,000,000 mrem to the thyroid

Average Annual Total
361 mrem/year

Tobacco (If You Smoke, Add ~ 280 mrem)

Not quite 1 dental xray for a whole years smoking ehh!

or

Thyroid oblation - 18,000,000 mrem to the thyroid /shrinking the thyroid

18,000,000 / 280 = roughly 64,000 years of equivalent years of smoking!

http://www.doh.wa.gov/ehp/rp/factsheets/facts...
confederate1989

Glasgow, KY

#51 Jul 20, 2012
The U.S. national annual background dose for humans is approximately 360 mrem. A mrem, or millirem, is a standard measure of radiation dose. Examples of radiation doses from common medical procedures are:

Chest x-ray (14 x 17 inch area)- 15 mrem

Dental x-ray (3 inch diameter area)- 300 mrem

Spinal x-ray (14 x 17 inch area)- 300 mrem

Thyroid uptake study 28,000 mrem to the thyroid

Thyroid oblation - 18,000,000 mrem to the thyroid

Average Annual Total
361 mrem/year

Not quite 1 dental xray for a whole years smoking ehh!

or

Thyroid oblation - 18,000,000 mrem to the thyroid /shrinking the thyroid

18,000,000 / 280 = roughly 64,000 years of equivalent years of smoking!

http://www.doh.wa.gov/ehp/rp/factsheets/facts...
confederate1989

Glasgow, KY

#52 Jul 20, 2012
Hugh Jass Jr wrote:
I have to add;
BUT THERE ARE NO GUARANTEES - NOT FOR EITHER OF US!!
Yep a piece of space debree might fall on us!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Medicine Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Genetics Suggest Autism Isn't Just One Disorder... 16 min Autism Advocate 6
Text messaging reminders increase second dose i... 26 min anothervoice 2
Santa Barbara Seniors Find Peace of Mind With D... 49 min icthelite 1
10 important reasons to visit the OB/GYN 52 min... 1 hr pailrider 1
Myths made reality bizarre claims made for anci... 4 hr Jai Prakesh Maan 42
Weight loss helps erectile dysfunction, improve... (Aug '13) 7 hr clickjogos 15
Pregnancy Symptoms - 12 Very Early Symptoms of ... (Jun '07) 8 hr monica 6,025
More from around the web