Sara Lee sells 41-plant U.S. bakery unit for $959 million | The Columbus Dispatch

Full story: Columbus Dispatch

Sara Lee Corp. is selling its North American Fresh bakery unit to baking company Grupo Bimbo for $959 million as it looks to concentrate more on its coffee and meat businesses.
Comments
1 - 20 of 67 Comments Last updated Feb 7, 2014
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Since: Jan 10

Dublin, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 9, 2010

Judged:

For those keeping score, Grupo Bimbo is a Mexican company. As predicted, 35 years of US trade deficits is resulting in the continuing sale of US companies to foreign investors.
CONFUSED

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 9, 2010

Judged:

JUST goes to show the American people how we are losing our jobs. Its the greedy corporations that sell ($959b) their companies. There goes our jobs. Stop trade deficits.
Answer

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 9, 2010

Judged:

All Americans should stop buying all Sara Lee products. They sell to a Mexican Company and we as Americans need to stand up to the arseholes of this country. The value of the American dollar is falling, we are paying higher prices on food, gas and everything else because of this. We have slowly been losing our rights and now we are losing value in the U.S. currency. The new world order is around the corner folks....OPEN YOUR EYES AND QUIT LETTING THIS GOVERNMENT LIE TO US. Bama is going to Japan and all these other countries to create jobs in America???? Really? Where was this plan 2 years ago when he took office?? Another scam to suck all the sheeple into believing that the world is headed in the right direction, then when you all have given up your rights, have no money and we are owned by all the other foreign countries and have to ask to blink our eyes...will you all wake up then when it's too late??? Bama is going to all of the sudden get 50,000 jobs in the united states??? WTF? Jobs will be created by foreign countries here in our united states, we will be paid...what $7 an hour to do slave labor??? WAKE UP AMERICANS AND WAKE UP NOW!!! QUIT BEING SHEEPLE AND BELIEVING EVERYTHING YOU HEAR!!!!!
CommonSenseOH

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 9, 2010

Judged:

Answer wrote:
All Americans should stop buying all Sara Lee products. They sell to a Mexican Company and we as Americans need to stand up to the arseholes of this country. The value of the American dollar is falling, we are paying higher prices on food, gas and everything else because of this. We have slowly been losing our rights and now we are losing value in the U.S. currency. The new world order is around the corner folks....OPEN YOUR EYES AND QUIT LETTING THIS GOVERNMENT LIE TO US. Bama is going to Japan and all these other countries to create jobs in America???? Really? Where was this plan 2 years ago when he took office?? Another scam to suck all the sheeple into believing that the world is headed in the right direction, then when you all have given up your rights, have no money and we are owned by all the other foreign countries and have to ask to blink our eyes...will you all wake up then when it's too late??? Bama is going to all of the sudden get 50,000 jobs in the united states???****? Jobs will be created by foreign countries here in our united states, we will be paid...what $7 an hour to do slave labor??? WAKE UP AMERICANS AND WAKE UP NOW!!! QUIT BEING SHEEPLE AND BELIEVING EVERYTHING YOU HEAR!!!!!
Good idea... suggesting to run an American company into the ground. It's business, it's a cycle. American company will eventually start buying up foreign companies again like they were doing over the past 15 years. Right now they're just sitting on a pile cash because they don't know what the government is going to make them do. With no direction on taxes, healtcare mandates, etc, they will sit on this cash for a while.
DollarBill

Dublin, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 9, 2010

Judged:

Do any of you have the slightest clue about economics? How many foreign companies to you think US citizens and US corporations own?

New owners, regardless of nationality, usually spend money to increase the businesses they buy. They will probably increase production in this country, why would they buy something to close it down.

As for "Answer" the government does not create jobs. If you are looking to the government to create you a job you are going to be disappointed. Government's only take from one person to give to another. This does not create wealth.
Answer

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 9, 2010

Judged:

DollarBill wrote:
Do any of you have the slightest clue about economics? How many foreign companies to you think US citizens and US corporations own?
New owners, regardless of nationality, usually spend money to increase the businesses they buy. They will probably increase production in this country, why would they buy something to close it down.
As for "Answer" the government does not create jobs. If you are looking to the government to create you a job you are going to be disappointed. Government's only take from one person to give to another. This does not create wealth.
I have a job, I am just sick and tired of paying for all the losers out there, the ones sitting on the arse popping out babies so they can get their hair and nails done on my tax dollars!!! I can't wait to see how all you sheeple feel in a couple years when our money is worthless!!!! Most people can't live without store bought food, I can...my entire family grows their own food, cans or freezes it and we are storing up for when that happens. I will be happy in my little bunker while you all kill each other for food hahaha!!!
Rick

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 9, 2010

It stinks having to lose all those jobs and such, but atleast those are countries that have democracies. What's really asinine is all the crap we buy from China, a COMMUNIST country that is going to own us, 1 trinket at a time.
CHUCK

Tucson, AZ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 9, 2010

Judged:

DID YOU KNOW THAT BIMBO OWNS OROWEAT BREAD , ENTENAMANS, DUTCH COUNTRY, AND NOW OWNS SARA LEE . ITS GONNA BE FINE BRO
Todd in Grove City

Westerville, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 9, 2010

Judged:

Well, since most of the employees are illegal Mexicans, it only makes sense to go ahead and sell it to Grupo Bimbo, a Mexican conglomerate. I just added several new brands to my list of 'not to buy'.
Warrior against Genocide

Norfolk, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 26, 2011

Judged:

Todd in Grove City wrote:
Well, since most of the employees are illegal Mexicans, it only makes sense to go ahead and sell it to Grupo Bimbo, a Mexican conglomerate. I just added several new brands to my list of 'not to buy'.
Since there are mexican-based investors who are paying off this country's debt "Todd in Grove City" why shouldn't they be entitled to buy some companies based in this country!? You wouldn't want to see the children of latin american immigrants getting exterminated(especially through abortion), would you?
SaraLee employee

Clovis, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 25, 2011

Judged:

Todd in Grove City wrote:
I cannot believe what I'm seeing here. If you don't know what you're talking about, be quiet and stop spreading ignorance. I work for Sara Lee Bakery Group in California. I worked for Earthgrains before it was bought out by Sara Lee.. I'm an American citizen, born and raised here. I can't say that I work with any "illegals". I look around my plant and see every other hard working American citizen baking the bread your kids waste.

Bimbo might have a Mexican name but they're doing business in the US, following US laws regarding employement, working with unions, and employing US workers at an above average pay... way above minimum wage. Ever heard of Orowheat, Entenmanns, Boboli and a whole slew of other household names? Those are all made in the US, made by US workers and owned by Bimbo. The company is no stranger to the US.

The sale of Sara Lee to Bimbo is welcomed. Bimbo was making improvements to the way Sara Lee ran their bakeries. They upheld our Union Contract and were planning on investing and expanding our plants in Califirnia. That meant job security for myself and my family.
The DOJ decided Bimbo needed to divest their assets in California otherwise they would monopolize braed sales. That means Bimbo will aquire Sara Lee in this sale but needs to sell off the Sara Lee brand and all it's plants in California as soon as the deal is done. Know what that means smarty? It means I don't know who I work for anymore. I could end up working for a large company like Flowers or another company wanting to take on a baking line. So don't be an idiot: if you don't want to see blue collar Americans out of their jobs, buy Sara Lee. Our class of people pay most of the taxes in THIS country... BUY SARA LEE! Please think before you make prejudiced comments.
punkazz

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 25, 2011

Warrior against Genocide wrote:
<quoted text>Since there are mexican-based investors who are paying off this country's debt "Todd in Grove City" why shouldn't they be entitled to buy some companies based in this country!? You wouldn't want to see the children of latin american immigrants getting exterminated(especially through abortion), would you?
Your turn, Todd.
spooktackular

Detroit, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 25, 2011

Judged:

<quoted text>Since there are mexican-based investors who are paying off this country's debt "Todd in Grove City" why shouldn't they be entitled to buy some companies based in this country!? You wouldn't want to see the children of latin american immigrants getting exterminated(especially through abortion), would you?
I would like to the trash from mexico and central america exterminated.
Sue

Morgantown, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 23, 2011

Judged:

My husband was a hard worker for Saralee but in this sale to bimbo he lost his job. It could be your husband,son,wife or daughter next or even you . Where do we as Americans draw the line against companies
Using and then tossing out their employees as if they are taking out the trash. THINK LONG AND HARD About it. My husband had just received a performance bonus for a job well done two weeks before they let him go.
How was that fair.
Sue

Morgantown, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 23, 2011

Judged:

I wouldn't buy Saralee or Heiners bread ever. They can keep that junk.
Conservative

Springfield, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 23, 2011

Judged:

IT'S BUSINESS. You have no clue to why Sara Lee decided to sell, neither do I. Ill hazard a guess that it wasn't because they were rolling in money.

What is the difference from businesses selling their business and the new owners have a business plan that will make the company profitable which may include reducing staff and product lines than if you owned a rental property and decided to sell it (at a profit) to anyone who'll meet your asking price and you throwing out the tenants because the new owner plans on living there, not renting it out?

When you placed the for sale sign, it told the tenants time is not on their side. They're out of a home.

That's business. Nothing personal. I had to sell for whatever reason.
Conservative

Springfield, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 23, 2011

Judged:

The selling price isn't going into anyone's pocket yet. First they have to pay off all their obligations, taxes, property taxes that may be prorated, loans, utilities, wages till the take over is complete, leases etc. etc. etc.

They end up with $1.50. No one knows for sure.
Big Johnson

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 24, 2011

Judged:

Sue wrote:
My husband had just received a performance bonus for a job well done two weeks before they let him go.
How was that fair.
They could have screwed him out of the bonus.

Quit whining and get a job.
Sue

Morgantown, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 24, 2011

I wonder if you will sing the same tune when the tell you that you no longer have a job
Sue

Morgantown, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 24, 2011

Judged:

Big Johnson wrote:
<quoted text>
They could have screwed him out of the bonus.
Quit whining and get a job.
You have no clue I only hope that some day this happens to you. When you only have 8 years before you reach 65 for a company that you worked at for over 30 years. Yes they gave him his bonus but not his severance package. So I think that you should think about your remark and next time think before you speak
JERK

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 4
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

15 Users are viewing the Life Forum right now

Search the Life Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Why do I often crave eating clay? (Jan '09) 1 hr All things clay 7,844
Documents detail VA mistreatment of vets 2 hr Jaimie 2
Lack of Transparency Fuels Corruption Allegatio... 2 hr Black Star Ranch 1
New Chiropractic Physician Joins the Staff at T... 2 hr Wisdom 9
CEOs as government saviors: Boom or bust? 2 hr cancer suxs 15
Meat supplier in China scandal has global reach 3 hr Go Blue Forever 1
Senator: VA center begged for surgical equipment 3 hr The Mad Man 2
•••
•••