EPA official wants mountaintop-removal project stopped | The Columbus Dispatch

Full story: Columbus Dispatch

A top federal regulator has recommended revoking the permit for one of the nation's largest planned mountaintop-removal mining projects, saying it would be devastating to miles of West Virginia streams and the plant and animal life they support.
Comments
1 - 20 of 20 Comments Last updated Mar 28, 2012
KnotStandingStil l

Powell, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#1
Oct 16, 2010
 

Judged:

3

3

2

Here it is...in Black and White. The CLEAR choice between good and evil, left vs right, life vs death.

This shouldn't even be on the table. We are truly killing ourselves with careless practices like this...not to mention every living organism within the dumping zone of this mountain.
Thomas the train

Buffalo, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#2
Oct 16, 2010
 

Judged:

3

1

1

I am on the right , but I think it is wrong to mine this way, the eco-system will be ruined for miles and miles.
Ohio Patriot

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#3
Oct 16, 2010
 

Judged:

3

Good news! If you've seen the mountaintops removed in W. Va. or Eastern Kentucky, then you know what a monstrosity they are. Stopping this horrible practice gives me hope that the human race may yet prove it deserves to survive and remain the steward of the Earth.
What year is it

Newport News, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#4
Oct 16, 2010
 

Judged:

3

3

2

There is no such thing as 'clean coal.' With that in mind we should be phasing out the use of coal altogether within 20-30 years. There are plenty of ways to generate electricity without having to resort to sawing off the tops of mountains. This is not a left-right issue. It's a common sense issue.
L Berry

Alliance, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#5
Oct 16, 2010
 

Judged:

3

2

2

What is being required of the coal company to reforest the area after they complete the coal removal? These companies are required to render the area to a natural condition. That involves grading the area, reforestation, and restoring natural water movements.
These coal field, as opposed to mines, will employ thousands of WV workers. These are new jobs, real jobs. These are not the Obama so called "saved" jobs. These workers will be able to feed and house their families. They will buy goods and services in their communities. That will also save or increase many flowdown jobs. All of these will generate Taxes. Local, State and Federal. All this in a downturned economy.
And what is the danger? The local area has streams that will be covered over by the soil and stones removed from the sites. This is what everyone is calling "spoils". It's all part of the earth being removed. As to the miles of streams being destroyed. The company offered to reconstruct them. So teh streams will go away, some fish will be killed and some racoons who eat the fish will have to move to another area to eat. Some deer will have to move somewhere else to drink water. But hey would have left anyway since big machinery will have people working to remove and transport the coal.
So all you do-gooders would rather save a few fish and not save jobs and the economy.
More left wing radicals ruining critically needed jobs in favor of some suckers, bottom feeding catfish and some bluegills.
Get a life folks, it's survival of the fitest and left wingers daon't care about the important things...people. They care about radical ideas and saving the poor lil fishies.
KnotStandingStil l

Powell, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#6
Oct 16, 2010
 

Judged:

3

3

2

L Berry wrote:
What is being required of the coal company to reforest the area after they complete the coal removal? These companies are required to render the area to a natural condition. That involves grading the area, reforestation, and restoring natural water movements.
These coal field, as opposed to mines, will employ thousands of WV workers. These are new jobs, real jobs. These are not the Obama so called "saved" jobs. These workers will be able to feed and house their families. They will buy goods and services in their communities. That will also save or increase many flowdown jobs. All of these will generate Taxes. Local, State and Federal. All this in a downturned economy.
And what is the danger? The local area has streams that will be covered over by the soil and stones removed from the sites. This is what everyone is calling "spoils". It's all part of the earth being removed. As to the miles of streams being destroyed. The company offered to reconstruct them. So teh streams will go away, some fish will be killed and some racoons who eat the fish will have to move to another area to eat. Some deer will have to move somewhere else to drink water. But hey would have left anyway since big machinery will have people working to remove and transport the coal.
So all you do-gooders would rather save a few fish and not save jobs and the economy.
More left wing radicals ruining critically needed jobs in favor of some suckers, bottom feeding catfish and some bluegills.
Get a life folks, it's survival of the fitest and left wingers daon't care about the important things...people. They care about radical ideas and saving the poor lil fishies.
Morons like you know NOTHING about ecological webs of life! Man can NOT reconstruct natural streams, let alone re-populate them with the countless life-forms that call these streams home. Those crappy few jobs that won't last but a year or two are NOT worth the rape and permanent destruction that this STUPID practice causes!

I can't believe how many stupid people we have in this country! Faux Snooze is dumbing them down by the thousands...

Since: Oct 10

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#7
Oct 16, 2010
 

Judged:

1

1

1

KnotStandingStill wrote:
<quoted text>
Morons like you know NOTHING about ecological webs of life! Man can NOT reconstruct natural streams, let alone re-populate them with the countless life-forms that call these streams home. Those crappy few jobs that won't last but a year or two are NOT worth the rape and permanent destruction that this STUPID practice causes!
I can't believe how many stupid people we have in this country! Faux Snooze is dumbing them down by the thousands...
What do you do for a living, little man?
EPA

Reseda, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#8
Oct 16, 2010
 

Judged:

1

1

1

Eliminate
Productivity
in
America

Obama quote source: http://newsbusters.org/blogs/kerry-picket/200...

The president said,

"When I was asked earlier about the issue of coal…under my plan of a cap and trade system, electricity rates would necessarily skyrocket…even regardless of what I say about whether coal is good or bad, because I’m capping greenhouse gasses, coal power plants, natural gas…you name it…whatever the plants were, whatever the industry was, they would have to retro-fit their operations.
That will cost money…they will pass that money on to the consumers."

When prices for fuel rise (double or even triple) without a cheap replacement poor people in ohio will have no heat.
Grandma & Pa might freeze to death but...
Don't worry thought the fishies will be okay.
bumper sticker

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#9
Oct 16, 2010
 

Judged:

3

2

1

CAP (your income) and TRADE (your freedom).
Jef f

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#10
Oct 16, 2010
 

Judged:

3

3

2

Those of you writing negative comments about coal mining should turn off your computers, turn out the lights and start up your own PV or wind turbine. Otherwise, tell us where the electricity is coming from.
Big Johnson

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#11
Oct 16, 2010
 

Judged:

1

It's possible to mine coal without destroying the land.
Thinking American

Reynoldsburg, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#12
Oct 16, 2010
 

Judged:

1

1

1

Big Johnson wrote:
It's possible to mine coal without destroying the land.
You're not thinking American! Cap that flat-top with asphalt and put a Walmart on it! The miners will need a place to work when the coal runs out.
Jef f

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#13
Oct 16, 2010
 

Judged:

2

2

2

Big Johnson wrote:
It's possible to mine coal without destroying the land.
So turn off your computer if you don't want electricity! Otherwise tell us where the electricity is coming from.
Sam

Dublin, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#14
Oct 16, 2010
 

Judged:

1

1

1

If having that particular coal is so important, then require the coal company to remove the waste/spoil and not dump it on the natural resources of the area. If it's not profitable to safely remove the coal without damaging our natural resources, then invest in alternative sources of energy. Coal is a limited resource and will run out eventually. Surely American ingenuity will find other ways to power our televisions and computers. We are almost totally dependant on coal and oil. It's time to wean ourselves from coal and oil and move up to other sources of power.
KnotStandingStil l

Powell, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#15
Oct 17, 2010
 

Judged:

3

2

2

dave chappelle wrote:
<quoted text>What do you do for a living, little man?
Hunt down fascist extremists like you and make them cry.

Since: Oct 10

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#16
Oct 17, 2010
 

Judged:

3

2

1

KnotStandingStill wrote:
<quoted text>
Hunt down fascist extremists like you and make them cry.
Well, like everything else in your life, you're an epic fail at your job.
KnotStandingStil l

Powell, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#17
Oct 18, 2010
 

Judged:

1

dave chappelle wrote:
<quoted text>Well, like everything else in your life, you're an epic fail at your job.
I see you are STILL crying...cupcake.
Sam

Dublin, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#18
Oct 19, 2010
 
KnotStandingStill wrote:
<quoted text>
I see you are STILL crying...cupcake.
Our children are 'taught' to not bully in school. It's a shame adults cannot refrain from bullying each other. It sets a very bad example. Maybe the adults should have a course on the meaning and consequences of allowing bullys to continue their unacceptable behavior, in this case, on-line from both sides of the issue.
Blank

East Stone Gap, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#21
Mar 28, 2012
 
L Berry wrote:
What is being required of the coal company to reforest the area after they complete the coal removal? These companies are required to render the area to a natural condition. That involves grading the area, reforestation, and restoring natural water movements.
These coal field, as opposed to mines, will employ thousands of WV workers. These are new jobs, real jobs. These are not the Obama so called "saved" jobs. These workers will be able to feed and house their families. They will buy goods and services in their communities. That will also save or increase many flowdown jobs. All of these will generate Taxes. Local, State and Federal. All this in a downturned economy.
And what is the danger? The local area has streams that will be covered over by the soil and stones removed from the sites. This is what everyone is calling "spoils". It's all part of the earth being removed. As to the miles of streams being destroyed. The company offered to reconstruct them. So teh streams will go away, some fish will be killed and some racoons who eat the fish will have to move to another area to eat. Some deer will have to move somewhere else to drink water. But hey would have left anyway since big machinery will have people working to remove and transport the coal.
So all you do-gooders would rather save a few fish and not save jobs and the economy.
More left wing radicals ruining critically needed jobs in favor of some suckers, bottom feeding catfish and some bluegills.
Get a life folks, it's survival of the fitest and left wingers daon't care about the important things...people. They care about radical ideas and saving the poor lil fishies.
How weird...you are citing jobs and economy, yet mountaintop removal provides FEWER jobs and prodeuces LESS coal than regular mining! And...the destruction of mountains and pollution of water sources is b******t!! How about this....build YOUR house next to a mountain removal site, and when the ecosysytem is destroyed, floods ravage your land, and your kids get cancer from the polluted water, you call THEM "left wing radical" as they die from poisoning!!! Ass****!!
Blank

East Stone Gap, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#22
Mar 28, 2012
 
Sam wrote:
If having that particular coal is so important, then require the coal company to remove the waste/spoil and not dump it on the natural resources of the area. If it's not profitable to safely remove the coal without damaging our natural resources, then invest in alternative sources of energy. Coal is a limited resource and will run out eventually. Surely American ingenuity will find other ways to power our televisions and computers. We are almost totally dependant on coal and oil. It's time to wean ourselves from coal and oil and move up to other sources of power.
Coal companies are just like Health Insurance companies...they don;t give a flying F**K about people...it is about the almighty dollar!!

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Environmental Law Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
EPA environmental crimes office opens in ND 21 hr Freebird USA 1
EPA proposes HFC-134a phase-out Aug 20 dont drink the ko... 2
Mayor: Lynch must consolidate or raise rates (Sep '13) Aug 20 LOL 4
NC officials seek comment on fracking rules Aug 20 Twisted 2
PolitiFact: Clearing the air on coal issues Aug 16 SpaceBlues 1
Environmental ART Aug 11 econin 3
Support IECDAA Aug 7 IECDAA 1

Search the Environmental Law Forum:
•••