Lure of land gives way to frustration

Full story: El Paso Times

Weathered skin hanging over her petite frame, June Ellingson says she is happy with the desert home that leaves her perched precariously close to death nearly every day.
Comments
41 - 60 of 92 Comments Last updated Jun 26, 2014
David

Charleston, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 8, 2011

I bought a 5 acre piece of land in the Tierra Hermosa subdivision in Hudspeth county. Can anyone tell me about this subdivision I bought it mainly for a place to come and camp for vacations. Is it accessible? Or, will I need to bring my ATV? Is there a place in Sierra Blanca who will survey it and provide me GPS coordinates of the corners cheaply? Is water from wells there drinkable?
RicoSuave55

Concord, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 6, 2012

I own 20 acres in. Hudspeth COUNTY I Rod recall that you don't have drilling rights on. The property but you can pay for water to be. Trucked in. And you can have a septic tank installed for. $2,500.00. EL Paso seem Rod growing.3555
I know W Tx land

Solana Beach, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 8, 2012

David wrote:
I bought a 5 acre piece of land in the Tierra Hermosa subdivision in Hudspeth county. Can anyone tell me about this subdivision I bought it mainly for a place to come and camp for vacations. Is it accessible? Or, will I need to bring my ATV? Is there a place in Sierra Blanca who will survey it and provide me GPS coordinates of the corners cheaply? Is water from wells there drinkable?
A 5 acre pc is not a legal transaction in W Tx. Undeveloved land must be 10 ac or more. Those 20's some people purchased can legally be spil down to 10's on paper and simply record it w the clerks office. PS the false info i see on this board is crazy. The merco dumping has nothing to do with Toxic dumping. The toxic dumping never happened. Its just sludge that was dumped, the same type thats dumped everwhere else in the US. Its breaksdown & is not harmful. People live, sleep eat & work in Sierra Blanca.
blue quail ranch

Harker Heights, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 19, 2012

I've visited my 100 acres of land, and thus far did not see anything that would raise an eyebrow other than the majestic beauty that hudspeth county has to offer. I read alot of bad press about this area.I suppose if you are not open to working, a little sweat, and some inginuity this area would look awful to you.If you ever intend on buying land anywhere please do your research before buying. and yes i did buy sight unseen,But when i did see it, i fell in love with sierra blanca, my properties, and West texas. your Friend Frank
I know W Texas land

Solana Beach, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 19, 2012

blue quail ranch wrote:
I've visited my 100 acres of land, and thus far did not see anything that would raise an eyebrow other than the majestic beauty that hudspeth county has to offer. I read alot of bad press about this area.I suppose if you are not open to working, a little sweat, and some inginuity this area would look awful to you.If you ever intend on buying land anywhere please do your research before buying. and yes i did buy sight unseen,But when i did see it, i fell in love with sierra blanca, my properties, and West texas. your Friend Frank
Glad to hear it Frank. Blue quail ranches are very nice, all three; BQI, II or III.
robchih

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 14, 2012

Info wrote:
Anyone have Info on silver spur ranch? I was going to buy 120 acres there off of county road 1111 south of I-10. The ad says there is power down the county road 1111 is this true, AND IF SO How much it will cost to set a power pole? If anyone could give me any info about the property about drilling wells or what power would cost?....ANYTHING you can tell me I WOULD REALLY BE THANKFUL!... I need to know fast. THANKS ALOT! Donna
You might want to contact Rio Grande Electric Cooperative before you buy that land. Running new power lines in the desert is expensive.
Aeryx Herbals

East Palestine, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 4, 2012

I am looking at the Restrictive Covenant now. It appears the original owner of the land retains access to the sub-surface for maintenane of existing water lines to his ranch.

It does seem a bit paradoxical inthe fact that it states a tent cannot be used as a temporary residence, but you may camp on your tract.

It does intend to keep the land from becoming a dump site, or cluttered with debris and poorly constructed "shacks", but it is unclear if I can place a storage container on the land as a temporary means of protecting camping gear and other essentials I have not want to tote with me every trip i make there.
jville

Saint Augustine, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 8, 2012

Dee wrote:
I purchased 20 acres at Sunset Ranches and I need someone to honestly tell me if I'm wasting my money and time paying on it monthly.
dee call me
JayAre

Moyock, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 1, 2012

I've got 20 acres and am considering buying more. Is it worth it? Depends on the buyer and what he/she thinks. I believe it is. As for water, I can drill or build a dam/pond to catch and hold rainwater should I choose. I can choose to build or not to build. There are no zoned areas. Electricity may arrive someday. If not, use gas generators or go back to the days of the old west...use candles/oil lamps and wood stoves or fireplaces.
The country is beautiful. Just open your eyes and look. See the LIFE that's there. Then close them and use your imagination. Life isn't just deer and other large animals. It's the small critters as well. It's the plants there, too. Look and you'll see the beauty of the area.
Ken and Eileen

Dell City, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 13, 2012

Theres nothing wrong with Sunset Ranches,Its no scam.I own 100 acres,have electric,a nice house a barn,and some beautiful views.Tired of @- holes talking @%&^ when they know nothing.I had electric in 3 weeks of moving here!!!!The air is and smells fresh.Want some poison air,move to Jersey!!!
MrJamesTFerguson wrote:
<quoted text>
To narrow down where the Merco Ranch was is a little difficult and that New York City sludge was a deal killer for sure! Folks in Sierra Blanca got sick from that stuff.
That was a very scary time and some nasty stuff they sprayed out there. I refused to buy any land in that area, north of I-10, for that reason. There does not seem to be any issues with the land south of I-10 like Donna was asking about.
I am leary of Sunset Ranches...I can not put my finger on it, but something is not right out there. 4 1/2 years as a Texas Peace Officer tells me something just ain't right!
Desert living is NOT for everyone, but you do not have to be a fool to buy the land and/or live out there...just have the right attitude!
I own 11.02 acres in Hudspeth County and I wish I had thousands more!
The glass is half full in Hudspeth County for those who are willing to see it!
Ken and Eileen

Dell City, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 13, 2012

By the way Hudspeth County Sunset Ranchs is hundreds of thousands of acres in a hundred miles.I dont know where this sludge stuff was,but it wasnt anywhere anyone knows,Figure that out.If you need to be by a Mall go to Jersey,You love people next door watching you in your window,complaining your dirtbike,or musics to loud-Go To Jersey.You want wildlife in your yard,no noise but the breeze,Feel like shooting a gun or riding your quad a 2 am.This is heaven!But if your a complaining winy $%#^Go live in Jesrey.By the way,the people at sunset ranches are nice honest people,and if you dont like your property,they will give you land somewhere else.and everthing else,Is In The contract.I havent been lied to once.Ive been here one year,and love it.
Priscilla

El Paso, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 13, 2012

Ken and Eileen wrote:
By the way Hudspeth County Sunset Ranchs is hundreds of thousands of acres in a hundred miles.I dont know where this sludge stuff was,but it wasnt anywhere anyone knows,Figure that out.If you need to be by a Mall go to Jersey,You love people next door watching you in your window,complaining your dirtbike,or musics to loud-Go To Jersey.You want wildlife in your yard,no noise but the breeze,Feel like shooting a gun or riding your quad a 2 am.This is heaven!But if your a complaining winy $%#^Go live in Jesrey.By the way,the people at sunset ranches are nice honest people,and if you dont like your property,they will give you land somewhere else.and everthing else,Is In The contract.I havent been lied to once.Ive been here one year,and love it.
Good points all, but you have to also be careful not to get sucked in. The details should be agreed to in advance and everything spelled out to a tee. People need to engage in such activities with their eyes open so that everyone can come up smiling and happy.
Diabla Blanca Ranch

Phoenix, AZ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 21, 2012

We own 870+ acres in BQ II which we are building to be our retirement ranch. We have seen nothing that would concern us and are very happy with the land. Granted, this land won't suit everyone so it is best to see it before you buy. For us, it works just fine.
I know them well

Encinitas, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 6, 2013

Tell me where its located & ill tell you. The unit & tr#.. leave your # is you want a call. The owner is a real creep
jville wrote:
<quoted text>
dee call me
Alan

Basking Ridge, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 22, 2013

Ken and Eileen wrote:
Theres nothing wrong with Sunset Ranches,Its no scam.I own 100 acres,have electric,a nice house a barn,and some beautiful views.Tired of @- holes talking @%&^ when they know nothing.I had electric in 3 weeks of moving here!!!!The air is and smells fresh.Want some poison air,move to Jersey!!!<quoted text>
What is your problem with 'Jersey'? Luckily most people think of it like you do. It has cities like all other states, but it has great country that luckily most people in the rest of the country don't know about. Damn, I just let the cat out of the bag.
LongNdToof

Springdale, AR

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 1, 2013

mandalea2002 wrote:
Found this website after we made our first payment to Sunset Ranches, we were never offered this info. It is the Declaration of Restriction Covenants. This is the website.....I have sent emails to get answers but no response...
https://www.sunsetranches.com/home/pdf/Sunset...
this is the best information yet. thankyou mandalea for posting it.
So? Sunset Ranch LLC is legit and not a scam. The DR&C's contained in that pdf proves that. Those covenants and restrictions are standard for land contracts in the state of Texas. The State of Texas and Hudspeth County are not just gonna let a bunch of raga'muffins just squat their nasty behinds down on a patch of land and do whatever feels good. Standards of decency and cleanliness must be kept in order to insure the health of the ranch. Building codes must have a standard for everyone to follow, if for nothing else but to keep people safe from themselves. Those ranch lots are not scrubb land, as most have described. They are considered high desert plains. Of course you dont get mineral rights, if one was to study their history you will find most mineral rights were all but sold out in the State of Texas before 1939. You are allowed to drill for water, and at approx $32 a foot for a positive pressure sump well with casing one might need to spend about $12,800 for a 400 foot well. For health reasons and protection of the ground water, the State and County can not just have folks taking a dump just anywhere they please. I know cows do it, but they dont know no better. So, one will need a two tank septic system including latteral lines according to a perc test could cost upwards of $2500. Actually the DR&C's of that contract are quite lenient compared to others you will read. Example -- a minimum 1500 square foot solar powered residence for a one bedroom - one bath, cooled and heated, with a gravity fed water tank aint that hard to design and build to county code. Allowing the rancher's ranch hands to come onto your property to fix his water lines is a'okay with me, heck why wouldn't it be? Disposing of your garbage and litter and crap via trash pickup helps to keep that ranchland beautiful and prevents cows from chewing up plastic bags which could kill them. Sometimes I wonder what people are thinking to up and call a good deal a scam. I am guessing they dont perform due diligence before hitting the buy button. If for instance Sunset LLC would take your money, yet not have real property to sell, then yes that is a scam, however, that is not the case here. Those acres are real, the beauty is real, and for those of us who love Texas, west Texas were its at. My suggestion to those who are interested, perform due diligence whilst wearing your best reality hat. Oh and btw, if an NG company contacts you to drill on your land, they are not paying you for mineral rights, they are paying you for pipeline access to the hole.

Since: Apr 13

Mind your manners

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 1, 2013

We need federal laws against scam artists.
When they sell to people in other states it becomes hard to sue.
LoneStarLegend

Jacksonville, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 9, 2013

I get so tired of all these online internet people talking trash about my home Sunset Ranches. Life has been nothing but wonderful out here and as for all these people bad mouthing the owners I wont stand for it cause when my kids were starving & I was out of work that man looked me in the eye, shook my hand & gave me some part time work so we didn't lose our place or even worse our lives. So don't always believe what you read online cause I'm proud to tell any of you all about Sunset Ranches. The first piece of property I bought out here I bought on nothing more than a HANDSHAKE and that was 20 acres. We didn't even have a signed contract, and everything was totally honest. They're good people and now we own over 100 acres plus I get part time work at Sunset Ranches as caretaker, maintaining the roads, making sure the street signs are clearly marked, picking up trash etc. Plus I have a well & I'm the only person in my neighborhood with a SWIMMING POOL too!!!!
Monica

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 17, 2013

LoneStarLegend wrote:
I get so tired of all these online internet people talking trash about my home Sunset Ranches. Life has been nothing but wonderful out here and as for all these people bad mouthing the owners I wont stand for it cause when my kids were starving & I was out of work that man looked me in the eye, shook my hand & gave me some part time work so we didn't lose our place or even worse our lives. So don't always believe what you read online cause I'm proud to tell any of you all about Sunset Ranches. The first piece of property I bought out here I bought on nothing more than a HANDSHAKE and that was 20 acres. We didn't even have a signed contract, and everything was totally honest. They're good people and now we own over 100 acres plus I get part time work at Sunset Ranches as caretaker, maintaining the roads, making sure the street signs are clearly marked, picking up trash etc. Plus I have a well & I'm the only person in my neighborhood with a SWIMMING POOL too!!!!
Thank you! Your post has made my husbands and I decision to buy land there! We were kind of skeptical of the very unrealistic deal but you convinced me otherwise.
LoneStarLegend

Jacksonville, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 28, 2013

Plan a trip, bring your family for a weekend and we can SHOW you better than we can TELL you. I'm in the process of remodeling now that we got our tax return so we're adding an enclosure, patio and hot tub around our pool with built in smoker & outdoor kitchen. It's truely beautiful and all our neighbors already hang out at our place for holidays cause most of them moved here from other places and have no biological family in our great state of Texas so we become their family. This years Summer Party will be the best yet provided we get our additions done in time. We been enjoying it and once the kids get out of school we'll really get our monies worth!!!

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••