Heritage House to reopen soon - Mendocino Beacon

Full story: Mendocino Beacon

Will Heritage House open this summer? Little River's Heritage House, setting for the naughty 1978 Alan Alda film, "Same Time, Next Year" is ready to rendezvous with its fourth ownership group.
Comments
1 - 20 of 20 Comments Last updated May 2, 2013
FBC

Fort Bragg, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 17, 2012

"A platoon of workers has furiously working to reopen the property..."

I couldn't read much beyond that. Sheesh.
Tommy Quinn

Sacramento, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 22, 2012

Wonder if my old Gravely garden tractor is still there? I could sure use it here in Sactown...
Cotati station neighbor

Mendocino, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 17, 2012

From a quick drive-by today, it doesn't look like it'll be opening this month. Anyone hear any other news?
sean

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 23, 2012

Worked there for several years-would love to go back to "Same Time Next Year". One of the most beautiful places in the world. Hope all my former fellow employees are well...
Kent

Monroe, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 29, 2012

Can anyone give us a status of Heritage House and when it will re-open? There are no numbers to call or even a website for an update.
JDM

Oakland, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 29, 2012

Judged:

Haven't heard when it's going to open. I'm sure that the place needs lots of TLC after the last 2 owners! It's the most beautiful place on the Mendocino Coast! Hopefully they bring back Joanie James as she has been the backbone of HH for over 20 years. Wouldn't be the same without her & her beautiful smile & greetings when walking through those doors!!
JMB

Meadow Vista, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 1, 2012

My wife and I stayed there for 8 consecutive years on our anniversary, but new owners raised the rates so high that it was not sustainable for us. I hope they restore it to the old glory and keep the rates down to a manageable level.
lonimell

El Dorado Hills, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 3, 2012

We are anxiously awaiting the reopening of The Heritage House! We have stayed there every year for 28 years of our marriage anniversary. We were so disappointed when it closed and have been waiting for someone to buy it and restore it to its wonderful ambiance and romantic setting. The people, rooms, grounds and flowers are so special!! We watch and wait for the big reopening!! We will be there!!
RLL

Camarillo, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 3, 2012

JMB wrote:
My wife and I stayed there for 8 consecutive years on our anniversary, but new owners raised the rates so high that it was not sustainable for us. I hope they restore it to the old glory and keep the rates down to a manageable level.
My wife and I stayed there for many years also. We last went about 10 years ago. We had a confirmed reservation for a specific cottage that we booked every year. When we arrived, they "lost" our reservation and gave the cottage to someone else and would not honor our reservation. In addition, the attitude of the manager at the time was terrible. We never went back - hope the new owners operate like they did originally..
JDM

Oakland, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 4, 2012

Just read a disturbing paragraph from a local Mendocino County newspaper. How much of it is true I don't know! It reads as follows:

"THOSE CHARACTERS running the revived Heritage House, name of Schlessinger, are infamous in Baltimore as slumlords, and have been controversial and involved in litigation almost everywhere they've touched down, which probably makes them a match for Mendocino County."

Like I said, I don't know how true any of this is as I heard that the new owners were from Florida! But HH certainly doesn't need more slumlords after the "Twin Slumlord Queens from San Diego" and the 2 men from Delaware who finished off the demise of HH & ruined the lives of so many that worked their!
Please-Please-Please don't be true!!!
Joe J

Fremont, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 28, 2012

I just saw this article and was excited to read the news. It is now August. Anybody know the latest status?
Len L

Mount Airy, MD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 9, 2012

And now it is September. HH is as shrouded in as much mystery as Mitt Romney's tax returns...
RFC100

Windsor, CO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 9, 2012

Len L wrote:
And now it is September. HH is as shrouded in as much mystery as Mitt Romney's tax returns...
Frankly , what Mitt Romney does with his money is way less important than what obummer does with mine/ours. The mystery is... what is his background? Of course this is all beside the point... the topic is Heritage House, and what is happening there. Stay on topic and skip the gratuitous political babble.
Thanks.
Hunter and Lynn jason

Riverside, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 20, 2012

We'll be back as soon as the doors open. Thank you locals for keeping us updated!!
Joe J

Fremont, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 29, 2012

http://www.pressdemocrat.com/article/20120909...
In September 10, 2012 The Press Democrat, reporter Glenda Anderson reports HH remains closed after its planned reopening due to "change in strategy."
Laurie

Vashon, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 29, 2013

Judged:

Wonder what their"change of strategy" is? Like many others spent many years on the Mendicino coast, with lots of wonderful memories of the original Heritage House until it was destroyed. My husband and I spent a week up there for our 30th in Oct. and drove by HH many times but didn't look like too much was going on. Mainly just landscape work. Was disapointed as we too had heard would be re-opened in June. I wanted so badly to walk on the property out to the ocean point and just take pictures and remember but was blocked off. Was hoping to find it open and back to it's original charm. I hope they listen to all of us who so loved it and don't try to do anything fancy or destroy it anymore.The original dining room was fancy enough but with so much warmth and charm. Loved sitting on the sofa in front of the fire, sipping a after dinner drink and chatting with friends. They say you can't go home again but I know so many of us want to at the HH.
Joe J

Fremont, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 31, 2013

I posted a couple of comments on a different Topix article on our memories of the Heritage House Inn. My wife and I recently went to Mendocino. The following link is to my YouTube video to show the status of HH taken on 01/21/13 as we drove by the resort three times:
http://youtu.be/aySkZS58N20
J Schmidt

Albion, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 10, 2013

Drove by today, 4/10, and noted a flurry of activity. Contractor vehicles and building materials scattered about. It should not be too long before they reopen. June maybe?
Laurie

Vashon, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 10, 2013

Love your video Joe. My husband and I did the same thing driving back and forth to look at HH. So many wonderful memories for so many of us. Let's hope the new owners really do the HH the justice it so deserves when re-doing it. I sure hope they are not the slum lords as stated in the article others have read. I have to hold out hope that if they paid the chunk of change they did for HH ( even though they got a deal), that they won't " slum" it.
Joe J

Fremont, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 2, 2013

News released today. Looks a little more modern. Hope the prices haven't been hiked up.

http://www.mendocinobeacon.com/localnews/ci_2...

http://heritagehouseresort.com/

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Home Discussions

Search the Home Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
As community mourns, police hunt carjackers 1 hr Big Mister Moustache 3
Water, water everywhere? (Feb '13) 11 hr laker 2
If You're Ready for a Renovation, Here's Your F... 17 hr S Forman 2
Homer Hickam Jr.'s 'Rocket Boys' still soars 15... Sun Dave 1
Sterilite steps up to the plate again, this tim... (Nov '10) Sun flexmaster 9
Moving into the (passive) house of the future Sun reality is a crutch 1
CRUISING Corydon Sun chugs are POS 3
•••
•••