It's official: Devils leave Lowell for Albany, N.Y.

Full story: Lowell Sun

It was the worst-kept secret in hockey, but American Hockey League President and CEO David Andrews announced yesterday that the league's Board of Governors has approved the relocation of the franchise owned by the New Jersey Devils from Lowell to Albany, N.Y., to begin play there this fall.
Comments
1 - 20 of 31 Comments Last updated Jun 25, 2010
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Emerson

New York, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#1
Jun 11, 2010
 
What a shame! It demonstrates the City of Lowell and the University's lack of marketing skills. Most cities would embrace the type of recognition that comes from having a Professional Sports Team in their boundaries. From an outsider looking in....all I could see was the City looking for ways to rid itself of the headache of the Team and the Tsongas Arena (Since they couldn't Manage it properly) and selling it to the State via Umass Lowell. I guess Lowell doesn't want the type of recognition that other Cities like Portland ME, Manchester NH, Worcester MA or Springfield MA like to embrace from with their AHL Teams!!! A very dissappointed Lowell Monsters/Devils AHL Hockey Fan here!!!!
Emerson

New York, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#2
Jun 11, 2010
 
Going...going.....Gone!!! Tiddlywinks, Dominos and Checkers (Maybe Bingo!!!!) Tournaments now headed for the Tsongas Arena for Winter Time sports Fans!!!!
MaLockfan

Lowell, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#3
Jun 11, 2010
 
Wrong-O, the Devils made it into the playoffs fianlly this year before getting dispacthed by Worcester in the first round. The Sun had something to do with this since they stopped any time of respectable coverage when the Devils came to town
Thom

Warwick, RI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#4
Jun 11, 2010
 
This is a real shame, but the Lowell AHL franchse hung on for years. This year the Devils had the worst attendance in the league. That couldn't be sustained.
The team was a nice complement to what I believe is a fine little city with plenty of interesting stuff to do. Saw Bruce Hornsby at the Summer Series two years ago and loved the venue. My wife and I are going back for Lyle Lovitt and Mark Cohn this summer, but the attraction is the park and the town as much as the shows.
My daughter just moved to the North Shore and we planned to head to Lowell for a few hockey games. When she lived in Springfield for school we took in quite a few Falcon games. I also attend games in Providence south of home and Worcester to the north all the time.
Oh well, on to Manchester. The dirve isn't worth it for UMass Lowell.
Broseph

Lowell, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#5
Jun 11, 2010
 
Emerson wrote:
What a shame! It demonstrates the City of Lowell and the University's lack of marketing skills. Most cities would embrace the type of recognition that comes from having a Professional Sports Team in their boundaries. From an outsider looking in....all I could see was the City looking for ways to rid itself of the headache of the Team and the Tsongas Arena (Since they couldn't Manage it properly) and selling it to the State via Umass Lowell. I guess Lowell doesn't want the type of recognition that other Cities like Portland ME, Manchester NH, Worcester MA or Springfield MA like to embrace from with their AHL Teams!!! A very dissappointed Lowell Monsters/Devils AHL Hockey Fan here!!!!
They were last or close to last in attendance for years, they had a ridiculous deal where they were probably making money off their lease and keeping concession revenue, and the Devils are notoriously cheap. So stayed as long as they were making money on the deal and as soon as that sweetheart deal was up they took off. That's not the university's fault. That's the Devils taking advantage of a good situation and getting out.

As a Lowell fan,I'd like to see them get a Bruins affiliated ECHL team. That would be cool.
Emerson

New York, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#6
Jun 11, 2010
 
(MaLockfan).....I agree with your point there as well. It seems the Fix was in for sometime for the AHL Team's demise.....the Team lacked local radio coverage via WCAP, it appears the Lowell Sun provided very little in regards to support/coverage and it didn't appear that the City of Lowell had a clue how to partner or market with the Team. I understand it's about making money, but in order to put Butts in the seats a little effort is required to at least attempt to market the brand.
Emerson

New York, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#7
Jun 11, 2010
 
(Broseph)....no one can dispute your facts here regarding the lease arrangement for the Arena. But it was the City council that agreed to the terms with the original Lease. I don't dispute that the lease arrangement was a sweetheart deal for the Team and the Devils took full advantage. But from a Business standpoint can anyone blame them?? It seems a no brainer when they excercised their option. I attended quite a few games the last few years and do admit that attendance was lacking some nights. But to be honest it did appear that the Team was beginning to experience some success with connecting with local Boy/Cub Scouts & Girl Scout and other youth groups. Attendance seemed to be picking up a bit. However, it always surprised me that there was never a bigger push from a marketing standpoint. Just within the Merrimack valley, Lowell is in close proximity with some affluent towns (Ex. Andover, Littleton, Westford, Billerica, etc..). I find it hard to believe that even if Hockey may not be the stalwart sport for locals in Lowell other Towns definitely fit the bill!! From a Fan's perspective it was a great bargain catching a game at the Tsongas. Also, I was always curious......just simple signs on Rt 3 or 495 marketing the Team would have grabbed a bit of interest.....this seems to work for other towns (Ex. Worcester, Manchester). I like your suggestion regarding an ECHL Team (If Marty Meehan would Ok the Deal...not too optimistic about that one).....but I'm a bit partial to the AHL myself (Pretty high Quality of Hockey!!). Although I understand having a Bruins affiliation could change the dynamic a bit. I'm a Hockey Fan so I hope the building can attract either another AHL or ECHL franchise....although I'm not holding my breath now that we just lost this franchise.
it is what it is

Lowell, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#8
Jun 11, 2010
 
this venue is no longer operated or owned by city council - now solely owned by UMass Lowell. And yes, it is about the consessions. One good concert in the Arena would reap more rewards financially than the entire Devils season. Furthermore, the venue can continue being used for local childrens programs as well
Andre

Essex Junction, VT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#9
Jun 11, 2010
 
Once again Lowell allows another good thing slip away...Sad, Very sad...
Kevin

Concord, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#10
Jun 11, 2010
 
soooooooo.........all five fans are in mourning?
Tony

Tewksbury, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#11
Jun 11, 2010
 
Tough to support a team whose parent team are rivals to the Bruins, especially from the NY/NJ area. You need a Bruins affiliate to make it work here.
The Devils did little to none PR marketing this team anyways. The Spinners do a far better job.
todd262

Billerica, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#12
Jun 11, 2010
 
Emerson wrote:
What a shame! It demonstrates the City of Lowell and the University's lack of marketing skills. Most cities would embrace the type of recognition that comes from having a Professional Sports Team in their boundaries. From an outsider looking in....all I could see was the City looking for ways to rid itself of the headache of the Team and the Tsongas Arena (Since they couldn't Manage it properly) and selling it to the State via Umass Lowell. I guess Lowell doesn't want the type of recognition that other Cities like Portland ME, Manchester NH, Worcester MA or Springfield MA like to embrace from with their AHL Teams!!! A very dissappointed Lowell Monsters/Devils AHL Hockey Fan here!!!!
i couldnt agree more, the arena management and the lack of promotion for the Devils and the lack of any concert revenue spelt doom. the arena was managed by the same company that did the DCU Center in Worcester that seats 17,000. so why would they promote the Tsongas that holds 6,500?
Momy

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#13
Jun 12, 2010
 
Marty are y happy no , why can see if you can bay city hall too man since you did bay every big shot thier man
todd262

Billerica, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#14
Jun 12, 2010
 
Momy wrote:
Marty are y happy no , why can see if you can bay city hall too man since you did bay every big shot thier man
What? A little drunk are we?
Hawk

Billerica, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#15
Jun 12, 2010
 
With all the Crimmigrants in Lowell now they should make Cock Fighting legal....They would sell every seat to all the Beaners.
Mink

Lowell, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#16
Jun 12, 2010
 
There is zero reason for me to set foot in hell hole Lowell ever again!
Marino

Nashua, NH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#17
Jun 12, 2010
 
Broseph is 100% correct. It's not the city's job to promote a private business; especially one that was getting a sweet heart deal.

The Devils are fully to blame here. Meehan just wanted them to pay a fair rent after UML took control of the arena. The Devils never marketed the team properly, screwed up when they changed recognizable name in Lock Monsters (as pointed out, we all hate NJ/NY teams here)and never really cared to be in Lowell.

Sad to see them go but there is a much better franchise just 20 minutes north of here.
Gary

Natick, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#18
Jun 14, 2010
 
Guess nobody remembers the hearings where it was pointed out that the City was losing $1m/year on the arena. Figures.

Let me tell you that it wasn't due to the concerts or UMass Lowell hockey games. It was because the Devils were drawing so poorly that they couldn't cover the costs of the legal minimums of police and fire coverage (and perhaps arena staffing as well).

The arena is now owned by the University, 15 of the 41 home dates from the Devils are tentatively booked for other events and as someone pointed out, each will likely bring in more revenue than multiple Devils games.

The Devils were Bad Neighbors and I, for one, am not sorry to see them go. I hope that people give UMass Lowell hockey a shot. Yes, it's a different brand of hockey but it's still good hockey.

Cheers!
Emerson

New York, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#19
Jun 14, 2010
 
Marino wrote:
Broseph is 100% correct. It's not the city's job to promote a private business; especially one that was getting a sweet heart deal.
The Devils are fully to blame here. Meehan just wanted them to pay a fair rent after UML took control of the arena. The Devils never marketed the team properly, screwed up when they changed recognizable name in Lock Monsters (as pointed out, we all hate NJ/NY teams here)and never really cared to be in Lowell.
Sad to see them go but there is a much better franchise just 20 minutes north of here.
Let me get this straight....so you'd prefer to have no Professional sports Team in Lowell at all because of their NJ affiliation? So you must be an LA Kings Fan then?? I thought the whole point was to have AHL Franchise in the City with Pro Hockey? Also, are you trying to say that the LA Kings put tons of money into marketing the Monarchs.....don't kid yourself....the City of Manchester has just bit more involvement with their franchise than the City of Lowell ever did!! The same goes for Portland and Worcester.
Emerson

New York, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#20
Jun 14, 2010
 
Gary wrote:
Guess nobody remembers the hearings where it was pointed out that the City was losing $1m/year on the arena. Figures.
Let me tell you that it wasn't due to the concerts or UMass Lowell hockey games. It was because the Devils were drawing so poorly that they couldn't cover the costs of the legal minimums of police and fire coverage (and perhaps arena staffing as well).
The arena is now owned by the University, 15 of the 41 home dates from the Devils are tentatively booked for other events and as someone pointed out, each will likely bring in more revenue than multiple Devils games.
The Devils were Bad Neighbors and I, for one, am not sorry to see them go. I hope that people give UMass Lowell hockey a shot. Yes, it's a different brand of hockey but it's still good hockey.
Cheers!
Gary, you're not going to a bigger UML Hockey fan that this UML Alum but I'm also an AHL Fan!! Also, since the annual UML Home Games makeup only about 1/3rd the total that AHL franchise did it's a shame that Fans won't have the ability to attend these events during the winter anymore. Also, we've been hearing for nearly the entire twelve years of the Arena's existence that future concert revenues would make-up for the 40 scheduled Home Games. Either this Arena has been so egregiously run for the last twelve years or someone's forecasting is really a bit off. Ok....there are 40 scheduled (Guaranteed AHL Home Dates) to schedule around. That leaves the UML Hockey Games (@15 - Which the AHL Team always seemed to accomadate with scheduling) and other events. The AHL Team plays during late October thru April (Maybe May if they enter the playoffs). That leaves nearly 5 Months of schedule free time. Where have all the previous events over the years been to fill this void??? I find it hard to beleive that those 40 AHL dates have been the underlying issue here......something tells me that the Management Co. and the City have been to blame. Yea, the Devils had a sweetheart deal....that the City agreed upon!!

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••