Both Vokoun and Anderson could remain

Full story: South Florida Sun-Sentinel

Panthers General Manager Jacques Martin said Thursday "you've got room" for both Tomas Vokoun and Craig Anderson on next season's roster.

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 20 of180
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
RED BARON

Fort Lauderdale, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#1
Apr 24, 2009
 
Tell us something we don't know already.
Roberto

Decatur, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#2
Apr 24, 2009
 
Vokoun seemed like an average goalie toward the end. If he can't be traded then open up the starter between the pipes. I'd rather keep Anderson. That F***N Mike Keenan, I wouldn't piss on that guy if he were on fire for tradin Loungo. THANKS MIKE, YA PR*CK!!!
AC in Sunrise

Louisville, CO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#3
Apr 24, 2009
 
We consider this season was a success.

Our expectations are so low, we stayed in (mathamatical) contention thru 81 games.

Not making the playoffs, saves us money on playoff travel expenses, which would affect our ability to sign players.

So this off season will be exciting Panther fans!

We will address this area & address that area.
We will sign this free-agent & that free-agent.

We have this guy coming up & that guy coming up.

I am currently working on more, better (cheaper) free t-shirts for the Panther Patrol to shoot over the glass.

We ask our fans to please be patient
during our rebuilding process (that started in 2001).

We are building a strong foundation for the future.

Why does every All-Star Panther always want to leave?

Must be the mosqiutos.
Can't be the owner. CAN IT?

2009-2010 will be exciting, as we trudge thru another .500 season, dabble with the 8th playoff spot for a while, and tank down the stretch for an unprecedented 10th year.

So send us your deposits now!!

always,
ac

(this post sponsored by Former Panther Fans Waiting For AC To Sell...
FPFWATS)
Wait a Minute

Boca Raton, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#4
Apr 24, 2009
 
An interesting exercise is to figure out how much Anderson is really worth in the open market. Is he a $2 million guy? I don't think he can fetch $3 million, given that he's still not a proven #1 guy. But can he get to $2.5 million? Cna he even get to $2 million?

One other interesting UFA goalie is Clemmensen, who played great while Brodeur was out, and could be in a similar situation to Anderson.
JimH

Miami, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#5
Apr 24, 2009
 
If Vokoun can be traded for a top flight center or scoring threat, get him to waive his NTC and move him before July 1. Promise the starting job to Andy and pay him before July 1.
YORMARKS OBSERVER

Miami, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#6
Apr 24, 2009
 
When I was young
I never needed anyone
And makin love was just for fun
Those days are gone

Livin alone
I think of all the friends Ive known
But when I dial the telephone
Nobodys home

All by myself
Dont wanna be
All by myself anymore
All by myself
Dont wanna live
All by myself anymore

Hard to be sure
Some times I feel so insecure
And love so distant and obscure
Remains the cure

All by myself
Dont wanna be
All by myself anymore
All by myself
Dont wanna live
All by myself anymore
Potvin

Pompano Beach, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#7
Apr 24, 2009
 
JimH wrote:
If Vokoun can be traded for a top flight center or scoring threat, get him to waive his NTC and move him before July 1. Promise the starting job to Andy and pay him before July 1.
I agree that would be a great move for the team. And I think they'll try to do it.
puckman

Pompano Beach, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#8
Apr 24, 2009
 
Disappointed team didn't make the playoffs but for the most part it was a lot of fun.We will lose Boumeister for sure and trading Vokoun would free up millions to get a scorer.We're closer to being a contender than the last 6 years,we just need scorers.
Wait a Minute

Boca Raton, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#9
Apr 24, 2009
 
puckman wrote:
Disappointed team didn't make the playoffs but for the most part it was a lot of fun.We will lose Boumeister for sure and trading Vokoun would free up millions to get a scorer.We're closer to being a contender than the last 6 years,we just need scorers.
No matter what, there is simply not as much money available as you think. For next year they are only about $18.5 million under the expected cap (which is projected to remain unchanged from this year). Take $4 million from that to sign Booth, at least another $6 million or so to fill the open defensive roster spots (as they only have 3 guys signed), and you are down to just $8.5 million. They then have to fill the 3 roster holes created by Zednik, Dvorak and Peltonen being UFA's, which could cost at least at least another $6-8 million. Sign Anderson for let's say even just $2 million and they are over the cap before trading Vokoun. Even if they trade Vokoun, bringing in a real elite scorer is going to cost close to what Vokoun gets.

One answer is to bring up two kids to play defense - Ellerby and Garrison - but together they will cost about $2.5 million and it's a risky move. And it still leaves them needing an experienced puck moving d-man to fill Bouwmeester's role. We can also expect to see Repik with the team, and he is just $845,000. And if they sign Bouwmeester, that $6-plus price tag is going to take away their ability to sign a scorer.

But no matter what, there simply isn't as much money as you might think.
RED BARON

Fort Lauderdale, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#10
Apr 24, 2009
 
Wait a Minute wrote:
<quoted text>
No matter what, there is simply not as much money available as you think. For next year they are only about $18.5 million under the expected cap (which is projected to remain unchanged from this year). Take $4 million from that to sign Booth, at least another $6 million or so to fill the open defensive roster spots (as they only have 3 guys signed), and you are down to just $8.5 million. They then have to fill the 3 roster holes created by Zednik, Dvorak and Peltonen being UFA's, which could cost at least at least another $6-8 million. Sign Anderson for let's say even just $2 million and they are over the cap before trading Vokoun. Even if they trade Vokoun, bringing in a real elite scorer is going to cost close to what Vokoun gets.
One answer is to bring up two kids to play defense - Ellerby and Garrison - but together they will cost about $2.5 million and it's a risky move. And it still leaves them needing an experienced puck moving d-man to fill Bouwmeester's role. We can also expect to see Repik with the team, and he is just $845,000. And if they sign Bouwmeester, that $6-plus price tag is going to take away their ability to sign a scorer.
But no matter what, there simply isn't as much money as you might think.
That's the problem. Our idiot GM doesn't know how to extract value out of the money he spends. With overpriced bloated contracts to deadwood players like Weiss, Horton and Olesz, he is ensuring that this club will suck for years to come.
Wait a Minute

Boca Raton, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#11
Apr 24, 2009
 
RED BARON wrote:
<quoted text>
That's the problem. Our idiot GM doesn't know how to extract value out of the money he spends. With overpriced bloated contracts to deadwood players like Weiss, Horton and Olesz, he is ensuring that this club will suck for years to come.
I don't agree with calling Weiss "deadwood". In fact, he is a very good #2 center. Think about this - the best lines are usually constructed to combine a playmaker (who nowadays is usually a center), a scorer and guy who can get his nose dirty and do the physical work. The best teams have guys who can perform multiple roles. Weiss is a very good #2 line center who excels at being a playmaker. He hasn't shown that he's strong enough to be a #1 line guy, both physically and as a scorer.

What I also like about Weiss is that he's a disciplined guy who never fails to play strong in his own zone, often finding himself on the proper side of the puck and ready to move it out of trouble. A good example is how often he's the one who grabs the loose puck coming off a rebound or blocked shot.

As for Horton, all I can say is look at Bobby Ryan and how at only 21, and in his first year in the NHL, he has already blown past Horton. Similar in size, drafted in similar spots, yet Ryan is already everything Horton isn't. Ryan worked hard on his conditioning, worked on making the transition to the NHL and hasn't taken anything for granted, despite being the #2 draft pick right behind Crosby. Anaheim is lucky to have both him and Getzlaf (another guy against whom Horton pales in comparison).

As for Olesz, I don't have much to say. The kid is talented, but injuries have stymied his development. Certainly he is way overpaid relative to his accomplishments.
Wait a Minute

Boca Raton, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#12
Apr 24, 2009
 
puckman wrote:
Disappointed team didn't make the playoffs but for the most part it was a lot of fun.We will lose Boumeister for sure and trading Vokoun would free up millions to get a scorer.We're closer to being a contender than the last 6 years,we just need scorers.
Here's a key question: How much closer are they really when they only have 3 signed defensemen going into the offseason?

Isn't that the same place they were last year at this time?(And perhaps not, as last year one of those guys was named Bouwmeester.)
dan

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#13
Apr 24, 2009
 
JimH wrote:
If Vokoun can be traded for a top flight center or scoring threat, get him to waive his NTC and move him before July 1. Promise the starting job to Andy and pay him before July 1.
That all depends on how much we sign him for. Also I predict if mangment gets that careless and can trade vokoun Andy may wait for other offers and in the worst case scenario he may leave and we would be without a goalie. Overall I think JimH's idea would bomb.
YORMARKS OBSERVER

Miami, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#14
Apr 24, 2009
 
YORMARKS OBSERVER wrote:
When I was young
I never needed anyone
And makin love was just for fun
Those days are gone
Livin alone
I think of all the friends Ive known
But when I dial the telephone
Nobodys home
All by myself
Dont wanna be
All by myself anymore
All by myself
Dont wanna live
All by myself anymore
Hard to be sure
Some times I feel so insecure
And love so distant and obscure
Remains the cure
All by myself
Dont wanna be
All by myself anymore
All by myself
Dont wanna live
All by myself anymore
Cut and paste moron, wannabe be me But she is from Miami, just another lost Cubana..
Potvin

Pompano Beach, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#15
Apr 24, 2009
 
YORMARKS OBSERVER wrote:
<quoted text>
Cut and paste moron, wannabe be me But she is from Miami, just another lost Cubana..
More personal insults from you?.......shocking...
YORMARKS OBSERVER

Miami, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#16
Apr 24, 2009
 
Potvin wrote:
<quoted text> More personal insults from you?.......shocking...
When I address you, you may post..till then make believe Potvin poster keep your delusions to your self or selves, being that you post inder potvin,brian delaponey,iceman,john bonder, steve,american, and laus to name a few.
AC Ponzi Schemes

Irvine, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#17
Apr 24, 2009
 
Potvin wrote:
<quoted text> More personal insults from you?.......shocking...
Wow!!
Did you see Ovechkin's goal at the end of the 2nd period?
One of the sickest goals ever....

Ducks 3-1 over SJ......
Boston 4-0 sweep of Habs....
Flyers-Pens tommorrow....
Devils-Canes....
Flames-Hawks....

Oh, wait.....
that's right, you're waiting for those big Panther offseason moves, woohoo....
Potvin

Pompano Beach, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#18
Apr 24, 2009
 
YORMARKS OBSERVER wrote:
<quoted text>
When I address you, you may post..till then make believe Potvin poster keep your delusions to your self or selves, being that you post inder potvin,brian delaponey,iceman,john bonder, steve,american, and laus to name a few.
Why dont you grow up and post hockey for a change? You're such a baby.
AC Ponzi Schemes

Irvine, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#19
Apr 24, 2009
 
Potvin wrote:
<quoted text> Why dont you grow up and post hockey for a change? You're such a baby.
I'll post "hockey"

Panthers have not won a playoff series since 1996..........
Potvin

Pompano Beach, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#20
Apr 24, 2009
 
AC Ponzi Schemes wrote:
<quoted text>
I'll post "hockey"
Panthers have not won a playoff series since 1996..........
But they made a tremendous improvement this year...and had their best season in many years. Clearly,they're on the right track.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 20 of180
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent David Booth Discussions

Search the David Booth Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Canucks Game Day: Rookie goalie a likely Wild c... (Feb '13) Feb '13 Melissa Ramsay 1
Want Roberto Luongo? NHL teams must 'pay a pric... (Feb '13) Feb '13 Vodkagum 1
NHL: Jackets, Panthers march to nowhere | The C... (Mar '11) Mar '11 BILLZILLA 6
Aaron Portzline's NHL power rankings | BlueJack... (Feb '11) Feb '11 Pete 24
Plekanec scores twice, Price rebounds as Habs b... (Sep '10) Oct '10 lonely in Kinmount 2
Tallon talks about building a champion in Chicago (Jun '10) Jun '10 Go Hawks 1
With Wade Belak, the Florida Panthers have more... (Mar '08) Mar '10 DEV STARR 31
•••
•••
•••
•••
•••
•••