Why don't we just make smoking illegal?

Mar 30, 2007 Full story: Minnesota Sun Newspapers 1,035

The Legislature is likely to decide this session whether or not to ban smoking from all Minnesota restaurants and bars. via Minnesota Sun Newspapers

Full Story
First Prev
of 52
Next Last
Ashley OHara

AOL

#1 Apr 13, 2007
I think smoking should be illegal because it is killing any one who smokes cigarettes, cigars, or does anything with tobacco, is also killing people around those people. it is not fair to the people who dont smoke that they could still be killed from secondhand smoking...(worse than smoking)i am only 11 and i am already possibly being killed from my parents smoking!

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
josette

Pleasanton, NE

#2 Apr 13, 2007
There are alot other things in this world that are worse then smoking that kill a person.I think it should be everyones own choice to smoke.And for people who go to bars and dont like smoke then don't go in them.Why should everything be blamed on smokers.There are people who die from lung cancer and never even smoked.It's just easy to blame it on smokers for everything.If they make smoking illegal then they should make drinking illegal and eating candy illegal.We just might as well not do anything in this life because people are dying from everything.Even food is killing people.
Buffed Herstory

AOL

#3 Apr 13, 2007
josette wrote:
There are alot other things in this world that are worse then smoking that kill a person.I think it should be everyones own choice to smoke.And for people who go to bars and dont like smoke then don't go in them.Why should everything be blamed on smokers.There are people who die from lung cancer and never even smoked.It's just easy to blame it on smokers for everything.If they make smoking illegal then they should make drinking illegal and eating candy illegal.We just might as well not do anything in this life because people are dying from everything.Even food is killing people.
Real good reply to an 11 year old child.
X smoker

Saint Paul, MN

#6 Apr 13, 2007
Sorry folks, the state of Minnesota rakes in millions of millions of dollars on taxes for smokes, not to mention the money from the tobbaco settlement that has some how been spent {but not on helping smokers}. Without the tax money from smokes, all your liberal programs, and feel good, do nothing ideas, would remain just that....ideas. But will all that cash, we can build baseball stadiums, and free housing for illegal immagrants, and money for people who feel they should not have to work, and tax rebates for people who don't even pay taxes. So be kind to the poor smoker, he funds the things that make you feel like a kind person.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
joe

Mound, MN

#7 Apr 16, 2007
The state of Minnesota does not rely much on the taxes of cigarettes (see http://www.mncn.org/bp/rankings.pdf+minnesota... ). There are numerous sources that can be found at the US Census Bureau that reinforce this fact. Although it does bring in a fair income to our government, it does not "build baseball stadiums and free housing for illegal immagrants". It is only a small factor in our state's income. I am not completely against smoking: my neighbor smokes, and I respect that when he does it at his own house. But I do feel that smoking in public places should be banned considering the safety of the people who don't smoke. Asthmatics and other people with lung problems can especially be prone to SHS. You can ask any doctor and they will tell you that smoking can damage your health, and may in the long run even kill you (directly or indirectly). The point I am trying to make here is that people should look at the facts before just posting stuff... and use your own common sense. Even if you yourself smoke, you can do the common courtesy of sparing others from having to breathe the air you polluted. I just thought I'd continue this discussion.
joe

Mound, MN

#8 Apr 16, 2007
To continue this discussion, if smoking were to be banned, think of alternative sources of income for the state that could benefit the average man and woman.
ROFLAO

Saint Paul, MN

#9 Apr 16, 2007
joe wrote:
To continue this discussion, if smoking were to be banned, think of alternative sources of income for the state that could benefit the average man and woman.
Like raising taxes?
BOHICA

Sparta, NJ

#10 Apr 17, 2007
Ashley OHara wrote:
I think smoking should be illegal because it is killing any one who smokes cigarettes, cigars, or does anything with tobacco, is also killing people around those people. it is not fair to the people who dont smoke that they could still be killed from secondhand smoking...(worse than smoking)i am only 11 and i am already possibly being killed from my parents smoking!
IF??? the federal government felt it was as big a killer as many make it out to be it would be outlawed in a minute. BUT as you see the Federal government is doing NOTHING about it. Ever wonder why??
x smoker 2

Victoria, MN

#11 Apr 18, 2007
X smoker wrote:
Sorry folks, the state of Minnesota rakes in millions of millions of dollars on taxes for smokes, not to mention the money from the tobbaco settlement that has some how been spent {but not on helping smokers}. Without the tax money from smokes, all your liberal programs, and feel good, do nothing ideas, would remain just that....ideas. But will all that cash, we can build baseball stadiums, and free housing for illegal immagrants, and money for people who feel they should not have to work, and tax rebates for people who don't even pay taxes. So be kind to the poor smoker, he funds the things that make you feel like a kind person.
Kudos to X smoker . I feel exactly the same way. I recently quit smoking after 43 years due to pressure from family and friends .I got so sick of hearing it and being treated like a criminal.I hope all the people who are against the tax paying smokers are willing to take on the massive tax burden that will come to bear when we are all forced to quit. Wonder what these do gooders will want us to quit next ?
Thanks for your thoughtful comment and insight .
Jennifer

AOL

#12 Apr 18, 2007
I'm 21 years old and I've been smoking for 7 yrs now. Smoking is the one thing that made my stress go away, I quit for nine months to have my son but I'm back at it. I don't think it is right for us not being able to smoke in bars, there being discrimanting (don't think i spelt that right) agaisnt us. Non smokers need to stop complaining. It's no one's business what we do. So get over it. And to the 11 yr old gal, tell your parent's not to smoke around you, you'll be surprised on how parents well listen to you.

“That's not Science;”

Since: Dec 06

that's a shell game!

#13 Apr 18, 2007
Ashley OHara wrote:
"To comply with the Children's Online Privacy Protection Act, at this time Topix is only available to users who are at least 13 years old."

“That's not Science;”

that's a shell game!

#14 Apr 18, 2007
Ashley OHara wrote:
Ashley,

You are too young to be fooling around on the computer. You have already revealed that you are 11 years old, and judging by your name here, odds are pretty good that you are a girl.

Who knows what all other information about yourself you have already revealed on other threads to those who would literally harm you to satisfy their own lusts.

You have more to fear from those people than you do from any tobacco smoke in the air you breathe.

Do yourself a favor, and stick to the child-safe websites. If you don't know which ones, ask your parents. Despite what they've brainwashed you with at school, your smoking parents are not evil just because they smoke.
Rachel M

Canada

#16 Apr 18, 2007
Jennifer wrote:
I'm 21 years old and I've been smoking for 7 yrs now. Smoking is the one thing that made my stress go away, I quit for nine months to have my son but I'm back at it. I don't think it is right for us not being able to smoke in bars, there being discrimanting (don't think i spelt that right) agaisnt us. Non smokers need to stop complaining. It's no one's business what we do. So get over it. And to the 11 yr old gal, tell your parent's not to smoke around you, you'll be surprised on how parents well listen to you.
I don't think that it is right that you would be ALLOWED to smoke in bars. Look's like the majority is winning on that one. It's not my business if you smoke - and Jennifer you are correct on that. It IS my business if you smoke around me. Before you tell me I can go elsewhere - keep in mind I can say the exact same thing to you; How about you - deal with it, get over it, and smoke outside where you belong. I don't hurt you, you shouldn't be allowed to hurt me (in ANY way). And to the 11 yr old gal, tell your parents not to smoke around you. I hope they will listen to you because I am sure they already know the risks they are placing you under. Google - "what are the effects of second hand smoke" and show it to them.
Rachel M

Canada

#17 Apr 18, 2007
x smoker 2 wrote:
<quoted text>
Kudos to X smoker . I feel exactly the same way. I recently quit smoking after 43 years due to pressure from family and friends .I got so sick of hearing it and being treated like a criminal.I hope all the people who are against the tax paying smokers are willing to take on the massive tax burden that will come to bear when we are all forced to quit. Wonder what these do gooders will want us to quit next ?
Thanks for your thoughtful comment and insight .
Congrats on quitting! The do-gooders (who love you) will be very happy on having you around a bit longer.

“That's not Science;”

that's a shell game!

#20 Apr 18, 2007
Cant Quit wrote:
<quoted text>
You might be a anti ban smoker if
You think Sherlock Holmes is a housing project down in Biloxi.
You think a stock tip is advice on worming' your hogs.
You've been married three times and still have the same in-laws.
You think TACO BELL is the Mexican Phone Company.
Your state's got a new law that says when a couple gets divorced, they are still legally brother and sister.
Your house still has the "WIDE LOAD" sign on the back.
You got stopped by a state trooper. He asked you if you had an I.D. And you said,'Bout What?'
You think Genitalia is an Italian airline.
Your sister is the third generation of women in your family to conceive a baby as a result of an alien abduction.
If you can burp and say your name at the same time
You think Possum is "The Other White Meat."
Are those all stolen from Foxworthy, or only most of 'em?

Since: Feb 07

Myerstown, PA

#21 Apr 18, 2007
Rachel M wrote:
<quoted text>Forget the studies. Just watch someone die of lung cancer caused by cigs,(2 out of the 4) and you will have your answers. The straw graspers will of course give you ancient studies. I can show you commercials where doctors told you what brand they prefer.(don't forget to refrence those)lol I can also put up a thousand links to the "dangers", but I do not have time. Smokers are a dying breed! You can find smokers that have smoked until they were 90, and then died in a car accident. I can give you names of prisoners who have been on death row, that didn't die by the states hand.
Gimme a break! Watch anyone die of any kind of cancer! Do you really believe that dieing of lung cancer is any different than dieing from prostate, cervical, ovarian, breast, brain, and other other kind of cancer? In case you missed some of my other posts, I watched my Dad & my Father-in-law die of prostate cancer. When they were diagnosed it was already in the bones. It took my Dad 3 years to die, and FIL 2 years after diagnosis. Do you think that the prostate cancer alone killed them? It didn't. When it spread to the lungs, brain, and other organs, this is what caused their demise. They were agonizing years. My Dad could hardly walk. When the end was near, and the cancer was in his lungs, it was not pretty. Also, if you think that cancer is bad, watch someone die of Alzheimer's. I did, and I watched this woman go from a healthy 120 pounds down to 50 pounds. Again, not a pretty death. Very few deaths are pretty.
So all you antis out there that keep thinking that only smokers die a horrible death, think again. The best way to die, as far as I am concerned, is to just have a heart attack.
IMHO, this is what drives you antis crazy, the lack of control over your death. You antis think that by eradicating smoking, you will either never die or just go to bed some night and not wake up. Well, welcome to the real world. That scenario doesn't happen very often. Enjoy your life, live it the way you want to, because you cannot know what tomorrow will bring.

Makes these words part of your daily mantra:

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways in a cloud of smoke, chocolate in one hand, glass of wine in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming WOO HOO what a ride!
Hunter Thompson

“Beat it!”

Since: Apr 07

Syracuse, NY

#22 Apr 18, 2007
An eleven year old huh? Good to see political thought and opinion starting that early. To answer your question, inquizitive one...
Let's say that said smoking cigarettes is now illigal. All those who actually enjoy smoking and are not interested in stopping are going to protest. Now there's hudreds of thousands of addicts getting now illigal tobacco products which in turn will create thousands of arrests AND increase in crime. Also- cigarette companies bring in millions and sometimes billions of dollars. That is now all money that the government can no longer tax. So although in theory it makes sense and it sounds like the right thing to do.. it would cause major social, political, and economical problems for the United States. Also.. if someone is smoking and you don't like it.. you have every right to speak up. Helpful?
Rachel M

Canada

#24 Apr 18, 2007
bdjunker wrote:
<quoted text>
Gimme a break! Watch anyone die of any kind of cancer! Do you really believe that dieing of lung cancer is any different than dieing from prostate, cervical, ovarian, breast, brain, and other other kind of cancer? In case you missed some of my other posts, I watched my Dad & my Father-in-law die of prostate cancer. When they were diagnosed it was already in the bones. It took my Dad 3 years to die, and FIL 2 years after diagnosis. Do you think that the prostate cancer alone killed them? It didn't. When it spread to the lungs, brain, and other organs, this is what caused their demise. They were agonizing years. My Dad could hardly walk. When the end was near, and the cancer was in his lungs, it was not pretty. Also, if you think that cancer is bad, watch someone die of Alzheimer's. I did, and I watched this woman go from a healthy 120 pounds down to 50 pounds. Again, not a pretty death. Very few deaths are pretty.
So all you antis out there that keep thinking that only smokers die a horrible death, think again. The best way to die, as far as I am concerned, is to just have a heart attack.
IMHO, this is what drives you antis crazy, the lack of control over your death. You antis think that by eradicating smoking, you will either never die or just go to bed some night and not wake up. Well, welcome to the real world. That scenario doesn't happen very often. Enjoy your life, live it the way you want to, because you cannot know what tomorrow will bring.
Makes these words part of your daily mantra:
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways in a cloud of smoke, chocolate in one hand, glass of wine in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming WOO HOO what a ride!
Hunter Thompson
OK cancers not a pleasant way to go. Is that your point? Sure it's o.k. to smoke, your gonna die anyways. Is that your logic? I am sorry about your father and father in law. Lung cancer has a stigma attached to it, that the other one's don't have. And YES, it is known that some cancers are worse than others. Lung cancer is considered one of your more agonizing cancers. I have read that Stomach is one of the worst as well. Brain cancer can vary, depending on where it has spreads. Google it, I did when I read your response, and there are way too many to put here. Watch the movie "An Inconvenient Truth" Al Gore touches on the effects of "Lung Cancer" listen to his remarks on it. NO, not all cancers are the same. That is just not true. By the way, I absolutly love that last quote! I am going to remember it and who it is by, and quote it often.

Myerstown, PA

#25 Apr 18, 2007
Rachel M wrote:
<quoted text>OK cancers not a pleasant way to go. Is that your point? Sure it's o.k. to smoke, your gonna die anyways. Is that your logic? I am sorry about your father and father in law. Lung cancer has a stigma attached to it, that the other one's don't have. And YES, it is known that some cancers are worse than others. Lung cancer is considered one of your more agonizing cancers. I have read that Stomach is one of the worst as well. Brain cancer can vary, depending on where it has spreads. Google it, I did when I read your response, and there are way too many to put here. Watch the movie "An Inconvenient Truth" Al Gore touches on the effects of "Lung Cancer" listen to his remarks on it. NO, not all cancers are the same. That is just not true. By the way, I absolutly love that last quote! I am going to remember it and who it is by, and quote it often.
AL GORE!!?? You mean the guy that invented the internet? I wouldn't listen to anything that he has to say. I suppose you also believe in his global warming diatribes? More junk science! But another forum I suppose.

Sweetie you missed the whole point! I never said that smoking was ok. I said, and meant, that I'm going to live MY life the way I WANT to, not the way you antis want me to live. Get Real! You cannot control people, unless they want to be controlled. Hopefully, those kind of people are far and few between. Quit trying to run other people's lives. Quit trying to save the world. Live your life for you, and your family. Ask yourself, "what is all this going to matter 100 years from now?" And yes, by all means, remember my favorite quote. That is how I live my life. I would rather die now, having done what I have done with my life, than live to be 100, and not to have lived.

Myerstown, PA

#26 Apr 18, 2007
Rachel M wrote:
<quoted text>OK cancers not a pleasant way to go. Is that your point? Sure it's o.k. to smoke, your gonna die anyways. Is that your logic? I am sorry about your father and father in law. Lung cancer has a stigma attached to it, that the other one's don't have. And YES, it is known that some cancers are worse than others. Lung cancer is considered one of your more agonizing cancers. I have read that Stomach is one of the worst as well. Brain cancer can vary, depending on where it has spreads. Google it, I did when I read your response, and there are way too many to put here. Watch the movie "An Inconvenient Truth" Al Gore touches on the effects of "Lung Cancer" listen to his remarks on it. NO, not all cancers are the same. That is just not true. By the way, I absolutly love that last quote! I am going to remember it and who it is by, and quote it often.
Oh, one more thing. When one is dieing of any kind of cancer, do you really believe that they care whether or not there is a "stigma attached to it"?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 52
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Smoking Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
As Statewide Smoking Ban Burns Out in Capitol, ... 3 hr Pete 2
Algoma Public Health prepares to buttsmack outd... 7 hr spaaqua19 3
Bourbon County smoke-free advocates push for sm... (Nov '11) Sun Daryl 241
Petaluma City Council OKs tough smoking ban (Jan '13) Sat lukyvc 69
Smoking causes many different types of cancer Dec 19 Vaccine Caused 4
golden virginia Dec 18 derek hughes 1
Do you think people should be banned from smoki... Dec 17 LELA 14
More from around the web