Federal Cigarette Tax Going Up

Feb 6, 2009 Full story: WKRG-TV Mobile 53

President Barack Obama signed legislation Wednesday to more than double the federal cigarette to pay for an expansion of health insurance for poor children.

Full Story
First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Upset Citizen

Independence, OH

#1 Feb 17, 2009
I am a smoker, I think this tax increase is rediculous. Why don't they go after the drinkers? The smokers are always getting all the attention. The government needs to focus more attention on the drinkers. When was the last time they considerably raised the tax on alcohol like they did on cigerettes? It's cheaper to buy a 30 case of beer then a carton of cigerettes. Smokers are always discriminated, well some people should discriminate more against drinkers. Alcohol does as much damage if not more damage to your body as cigerettes. When was the last time you heard of a cigerette smoker killing an innocent person driving down the road. Compared to a drinker getting behind the wheel drunk and killing innocent people because they lack the common sense to realize what they are doing. To many people get killed or injured because of a drunk driver. The politicians increase the penalty of drunk driving but not the cost, if they would do both maybe not so many people would drink. They need to substantially increase the price of alcohol so there would be less fatalities of stupid accidents because someone got so drunk because they were depressed, mad at a spouse, girlfriend, family member or wanting to commit suicide. Alcohol is a depressant and makes you say and do stupid things with irreversable reprecutions.

Since: Aug 08

Golden Valley,Az.

#2 Feb 17, 2009
Outrage brewing over proposed 1,900% beer tax hike
http://www.kgw.com/news-local/stories/kgw_021...

Tobacco is already the worlds most smuggled legal product.The SCHIP will increase the black market and allow kids to buy cigarettes on any street corner just like drugs.
http://www.publicintegrity.org/investigations...
Our forefathers fought and died to stop unfair taxation. The people pushing theses taxes are very unamerican.
youou

Lewisburg, TN

#3 Feb 17, 2009
I am a non smoker. Smoking is bad for anyone. How do smokers feel when they see a teenager or an young family member smoking? Proud? Carrying on the great family tradtion?

They should go over to them and "show" them what smoking does to them. That alone should scare the hel1 out of them.

Good night.. youou signing off..

Since: Aug 08

Golden Valley,Az.

#4 Feb 18, 2009
youou wrote:
I am a non smoker. Smoking is bad for anyone. How do smokers feel when they see a teenager or an young family member smoking? Proud? Carrying on the great family tradtion?
They should go over to them and "show" them what smoking does to them. That alone should scare the hel1 out of them.
Good night.. youou signing off..
So you push High taxes and help make the black market bigger so all kids can go buy cigarettes on any street corner just like drugs.
Tobacco is already the worlds most smuggled legal product.
http://www.publicintegrity.org/investigations...

http://cleanairquality.blogspot.com/2004/03/w...
Colonist

South Hadley, MA

#5 Feb 18, 2009
the estimated American smoking population is 43 Million people

The Average state tax per pack is $1.19 [Countrywide]
43Million people X $1.19/pack X 365 Days =@$18.7 Billion Dollars per year

The Federal tax per pack (April 1, 2009) will be $1.01
43Million people X $1.01/pack X 365 Days =@$15.9 Billion Dollars per year

Since tobacco tax is needed to fund every Tom-Dick-Harry program out there - If every Adult American bought a pack of cigarettes per day (of course they don't have to smoke them) It would generate loads of cash, the states and feds are counting on it from such a small percentage of citizens - shouldn't everyone contribute?

Federal tax gain:
230 Million X $1.01/pack X 365 Days =$85 Billion Dollars per year

State (Average-Countrywide) tax gain:
230 Million X $1.19/pack X 365 Days =$100 Billion dollars per year

Thank a Smoker for their generous tax dollar donations
Fat Tax

Jefferson City, MO

#6 Feb 24, 2009
I am a smoker and am sick of the taxes, I liken this new tax to the TEA TAX! When is our government going to quit targeting select groups, like smokers? I think we should have a FAT TAX, regualr soda, chips, candies (including chocolate, cookies, sugar cereals should be taxed. I am sick of hearing how smokers have raised the cost of health care, when in reality obesitiy is the highest contributer to health care in this country, this probably doesn't even take into consideration of the cost of dental care for all the rotten teeth due due soda drinking. We have been purchasing roll our own cig. to save money (Not pot, although that may be cheaper). We think this country is in a crisis now, does anybody really think people are going to quit smoking because of taxes, I don't think so.... they just aren't going to pay their bills. I am sick to death of being singled out for smoking and taxed on it. Any ideas on how we can combat this? I have plenty of time on my hands, I'm not working now, haven't worked for the last year. At least we have 1 income,($50,000 annually, which my husbands works an easy 60 hrs a week) and have been able to pay all our bills and pay for health insurance, which we maybe go twice a year to the doctor, including well exams. Like millions of others we are over extended with debt. Like others Chase Credit Card reneged on the orginal agreement of interest rate and got us by raising the min. payment, more then doubling the payment, or pay a higher interest rate. Well guess what, they are the first ones that aren't going to get paid. They can put it in their pipes and smoke it for all I care. I could go on and on with other issues too. What are we going to do to stop all the insanity? Any suggestions?

Since: Aug 08

Golden Valley,Az.

#7 Feb 24, 2009
Colonist wrote:
the estimated American smoking population is 43 Million people
The Average state tax per pack is $1.19 [Countrywide]
43Million people X $1.19/pack X 365 Days =@$18.7 Billion Dollars per year
The Federal tax per pack (April 1, 2009) will be $1.01
43Million people X $1.01/pack X 365 Days =@$15.9 Billion Dollars per year
Since tobacco tax is needed to fund every Tom-Dick-Harry program out there - If every Adult American bought a pack of cigarettes per day (of course they don't have to smoke them) It would generate loads of cash, the states and feds are counting on it from such a small percentage of citizens - shouldn't everyone contribute?
Federal tax gain:
230 Million X $1.01/pack X 365 Days =$85 Billion Dollars per year
State (Average-Countrywide) tax gain:
230 Million X $1.19/pack X 365 Days =$100 Billion dollars per year
Thank a Smoker for their generous tax dollar donations
They need 24 million more smokers to fund SCHIP. SCHIP has also increased the black market, now kids can buy all the cigarettes they want since tobacco is the worlds most smuggled legal product.
White Trash

Vinita, OK

#8 Feb 24, 2009
Look at all the money they've lost by making state facilities (prisons) "smoke free",I guess someone has to make up for it...BTW why would smokers have to pay for a poor childs health care? Next tax will be for obesity.
Smoker in Chicago

Chicago, IL

#9 Feb 27, 2009
Yeah it's bad for you, but it should be a person's individual decision to quit smoking and not left up to a Government to raise taxes to make people quit. People will find alternate ways to purchase cigarettes cheaper, they always do. I for one will most definitely try to find a way to do so. I agree with the other people on this board. For one, they do need to raise the alcohol tax. There are many smokers out there, but there are even twice as many drinkers and if they are going to tax one thing that is bad for you, they should tax the crap out of everything that's bad. BE FAIR!
Jon

Seattle, WA

#10 Feb 27, 2009
Go to this website: nicotine - health benefits

Also click on these two links:

http://www.forces.org/evidence/evid/therap.ht...

http://www.shvoong.com/humanities/410126-rece...
just candid

AOL

#11 Mar 1, 2009
Just thinking about more tax on cigarettes makes the tax man giggle in his sleep. As his wife dosen't know what he's so happy about it gets him in all sorts of trouble.

Since: Aug 08

Golden Valley,Az.

#12 Mar 2, 2009
just candid wrote:
Just thinking about more tax on cigarettes makes the tax man giggle in his sleep. As his wife dosen't know what he's so happy about it gets him in all sorts of trouble.
More taxes on cigarettes makes the Al Capone of today wet his pants he is so happy. His business is growing like crazy. He sells to who every has money to buy no age limit.
youre outa here

AOL

#13 Mar 2, 2009
White Trash wrote:
Look at all the money they've lost by making state facilities (prisons) "smoke free",
HOW would making a prison smoke free cost extra money?
White Trash wrote:
BTW why would smokers have to pay for a poor childs health care?
Because the poor tend to be smokers. The smokers also buy cigarettes before they buy food for thier children, so tghis is a way of taking those dollars that the poor should be using for thier children and using them to actually keep those children healthy.
White Trash wrote:
Next tax will be for obesity.
Scare tactics dont dissuade us from doing the right thing with cigarettes.
White Trash wrote:
Duh
Your name says it all.

“Fredneck County Md”

Since: Feb 08

Small Town

#14 Mar 2, 2009
More right good news folks, "youre outa here" 'as finally found a recreational activity that don't involve sexual misconduct wiv 'imself! Blimey!...
http://tinyurl.com/dlqrod
smoker

Kingsbury, IN

#16 Mar 4, 2009
F-U Mr President but I do agree with your peacher.. GOD DAMN AMERICA!!! The land that I fought for and now hate...
smoker

Kingsbury, IN

#17 Mar 4, 2009
F-U Mr President but I do agree with your preacher that is.. GOD DAMN AMERICA!!! The land that I fought for and now hate...
Rogue Government

United States

#18 Mar 4, 2009
azmac wrote:
Outrage brewing over proposed 1,900% beer tax hike
http://www.kgw.com/news-local/stories/kgw_021...
Tobacco is already the worlds most smuggled legal product.The SCHIP will increase the black market and allow kids to buy cigarettes on any street corner just like drugs.
http://www.publicintegrity.org/investigations...
Our forefathers fought and died to stop unfair taxation. The people pushing theses taxes are very unamerican.
Hmm, where do I find a smuggler of smokes, I'll give him business...

Since: Aug 08

Golden Valley,Az.

#19 Mar 5, 2009
Rogue Government wrote:
<quoted text>
Hmm, where do I find a smuggler of smokes, I'll give him business...
Look around. I see news articles where they have caught a few. They only catch 3 to 5% of the smugglers.
White Trash

Vinita, OK

#20 Mar 5, 2009
Rogue Government wrote:
<quoted text>
Hmm, where do I find a smuggler of smokes, I'll give him business...
Search Google for cheap Marlboros,there's a website up now that ships cartons from overseas,can't verify the quality but have been reading their forums & all is well.
youre outa here

AOL

#21 Mar 5, 2009
White Trash wrote:
<quoted text>
Search Google for cheap Marlboros,there's a website up now that ships cartons from overseas,can't verify the quality but have been reading their forums & all is well.
You read their forums.

GREAT!!!!

If they are going to rip you off, dontcha think they would post GOOD things to THEIR forum to make you feel good about giving them YOUR CREDIT CARD NUMBER?

Maybe you should answer one of those emails where the banker in Africa will pay you $200,000 to take some money off his hands. All you need to do is send him your banking information.

And who said smokers weren't stupid?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Health Insurance Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Health care exchanges, tax credits are availabl... Wed JEngdahlJ 1
Survey: Civilian Psychologists Struggle To Trea... Wed HumanSpirit 3
latest plan Nov 20 Zach 1
Obamacare's 2.0 health insurance enrollment per... Nov 19 Le Jimbo 66
Best health insurance plans (India)? Nov 17 KevinShine 1
2VIDEO: Jonathan Gruber says Obama knew 'the Am... Nov 17 squeaky 43
Americans: How health care law affected them Nov 16 Not Cool 1

Health Insurance People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE