|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 28, 2010

Judged:

mmj wrote:
My mother recently lost her husband of 40 years. More than half of those years together they were alcoholics. Now she has been diagnosed with nonhodgkins lymphoma. She has started chemo and other treatments. She continues to drink. While my father was ill, I always told the doctors how much he drank because my parents down played how much they consumed. I wrote letters to my mothers doctors informing them of her drinking. This is what my two siblings agreed and supported. I am mostly concerned about her drinking the night before chemo. She has a power port that has to be drained before every treatment.The doctors are stumped why her port had a hematoma. Now my mom has found out about the letters to her doctors and is full of angry and hate to us her children. I wish there was a rehab for cancer patients to recieve cancer treatments and to learn how to live a sober life. Her illness is so advanced and that has left me wondering if causing a rift between our relationship due to the letters were worth it, but then did I do everything I could have done to let her have more time with her children and grandchildren. I will have to see....
My thoughts and prayers are with you. i agree with you rehab/chemo at the same time. My boyfriend(46) passed away in May and he chose to stop chemo in November 2009 and drink when he wanted instead. He went out the way he wanted to no matter how many times I talked to him about drinking. You did the right thing writing her doctors.You had to do that for you as well. she is just protecting her addiction.
Sad Aunt

High Point, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 2, 2010

Mary - California wrote:
All of the fact sheets for the different types of chemo caution that you are not to drink alcohol while going through chemo and it isn't recommended during radiation, either. That being said, I am a breast cancer survivor. I am going through chemo for the second time. I do not smoke, drink, do drugs, etc. and I haven't. I have tried to maintain a healthy lifestyle from a very young age, but I love people that have gone through treatment that did some of those things. The answer is that you love people through and support them just because you do. There are a lot of people in my life with addictions and I love them still. If you love someone you just do and you accept them flaws and all knowing that the only person you can change in life is you. Accepting that and letting go of what you think someone else should do to change their life will set you free.
It's hard to accept a person who continues to drown himself in alcohol when his 13 year old son begs him to stop so the chemo and radiation can work.
ANNETTE

Simi Valley, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 3, 2010

Sad Aunt wrote:
<quoted text>
It's hard to accept a person who continues to drown himself in alcohol when his 13 year old son begs him to stop so the chemo and radiation can work.
The 13 year old needs to go to ALATEEN support groups with other kids his own age to talk about his feelings about the father still drinking for starters. He needs to understand the three c's. HE DIDN'T CAUSE IT, CAN'T CONTROL IT, AND CAN'T CURE IT.
Good Luck...
Helen

Brierley Hill, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 4, 2011

I need help my brother is an alcoholic and just had a full laryngectomy and started chemotherapy and radiotherapy but I just found out his been drinking again, I'm so frightened that his treatment will not work please someone help thanks Helen x
blablabla

Rotherham, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 4, 2011

my friend is recieving radition everyday and is still drinking is this allowed i say no
cyndi

Tipp City, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 3, 2011

can i have and occasional drink during the holidays with rectal cancer and taking chemo pills and radiation.

Shay

New York, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 17, 2011

I self medicated with alcohol to forget how afraid I was while going thru sugary then radiation for breast cancer..going to tell my oncologist.
Didn't think it or anything at the time...just wanted to numb the fear and pain away.
Thank you for making me aware...
Heather

Kidderminster, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 21, 2011

Our son has non Hodgkins lymphoma of late diagnosis. He has been drinking all the way thro chemo.We all love him so much but fear him too. He controls us all with heavy sarcasm and treats his siblings with utter disdain.This Christmastime is breaking our hearts and we feel so sad for all you guys who are suffering with us.We are senior citizens and we felt alone til we got on this site. Thankfully, we believe in prayer but our son is his own god and that makes it so hard.
AURORA

San Antonio, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 13, 2012

I AM A 32 YR OLD FEMALE DIAGNOSED WITH NON HODGKINS LYNPHOMA LARGE B CELL , MY DOCTOR ADVISED FOR ME NOT TO DRINK DURING MY CHEMO AFTER 4 CYCLES MY SCAN CAME BACK CLEAN ,BUT I STILL HAVE TO UNDERGO 3 MORE TREATMENTS , I GOT ON HERE TONIGHT BECAUSE I WANTED TO GO OUT WITH MY HUSBAND AND AT THE MOST DRINK 3 BEERS , BUT U KNOW WHAT IM JUST GUNNA WAIT THE UNTIL MY INTIRE CHEMO SESSION IS OVER WHICH IS ABOUT ANOTHER 3 MONTHS :) HOPE YALL DO THE SAME MUCH LUCK TO EVERYONE
lynda

Brisbane, Australia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 23, 2012

my husband has had chemo and radiation therapy finished 4 weeks ago .recently we lost my sister and a brother in law unexpectedly .husband now said he doesn't care about anything anymore.doctors have said there is no more treatment for his small cell lung cancer. he is an alcoholic ,has,ent had any drink for 6 months until now .he is so paralytic hes walking into walls hurting his self .says he just wants it finished ,he cant take anymore people dieing.yet he doesn't care about the effect this is on us watching him dieing and his alcohol abuse. husband told us at beginning of treatment that if he drank he could have a heart attack and die ,knowing this he still got drunk and we are so scared for him i myself have had enough too, its just one heartache after another.
Greg

Toronto, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 16, 2012

When it comes to drinking while on chemo the answer is no. Alcohol is filtered through liver and to much alcohol causarongs liver to become overwhelmed. When receiving chemo it is also filtered through the liver (thats why they test liver function during chemo) but it is much more toxic then alcohol. So... Both alcohol and chemo can be way to much for the liver to handle and can cause total liver failure.
That being said... A beer or a glass of wine at least 72 hours after chemo treatments should not be a problem.*** Note that I said a beer meaning 1 or 1 glass of wine. NOT 2,3,4, or more!!!!****
Tracy

Murfreesboro, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 26, 2012

My husband has also been diagnosis with cancer. he was some what of a drinker. But now that he has found out it is a 12 pack everyday> and we are now mixing it with the medications they have given him. When I ready all of these stories on here. i am beginning to wonder if the alcohol has something to do with the cancer.. I am saddened. Because I am watching the manm i love waste away and drink away. And yes I have mentioned something to the doctor. She just tells him it is okay to drink. But I try to tell her how much he is drinking. And he gets very mad. So now we are drinking taking the meds. And can't stand up without falling down. I ned help and i don't know where to turn. If this isn't gone by the 18th of Jan 2013. And they find another tumor. I am not sure how he will handle it. So anyone got any ideas how I am to handle this. I am the only income for 7 people right now. And i am sinking fast... Adn i am falling a part. but dont know who to turn to or where to turn to for help. Any ideas???
Cyndi

Grove, OK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 18, 2013

I am taking radiation & chemo-i was wondering if i can drink non-alcoholic beer (alcohol content less than 0.5)
please get back to me-thank you
Liz

Sechelt, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 18, 2013

Cancer pt myself; advice? Love them and leave their drinking alone, it just stresses them out and causes rifts.
Liz

Sechelt, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 18, 2013

Also, by trying to get a cancer patient to stop drinking during the most stressful time in their life is just plain cruel. I don't drink much while on chemo, just a couple glasses of wine a couple times a week during my "good week" between chemo, so much less than the daily before. BUT the moment anyone comments on it, I feel my stress just blow sky high, and I feel angry, defeated, and want to give up. I need people to support ME, the person, and not try to fix me of my 'sins' while I go through this horrible time. Love me or leave me, but not drinking will NOT cure the cancer, just ask the doctor!
Annette

Tarzana, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 18, 2013

Liz:
As the caregiver of my partner that passed away. I have to disagree with you. It is hard on us to have to go through losing our loved one as well. He would drink heavily on the weekends and go to chemo on Monday and the doctor would refuse to give him chemo because his counts were so low caused by the heavy drinking. We supporters could lose ourself in alcohol or other addictions but most time have to be strong for ourselves, our families and the cancer patient too. We have to worry as well about other things. Life without them if they cant get regular chemo,finances,medical bills,kids. It's been three years since he passed and I am still sad about how he chose to go out. I didnt have support but he had me to lean on as well as numbing out.Please know WE LOVE YOU GUYS AND WE ARE SCARED TOO! We just want you to beat it not fix you of your sins.
God Bless you all>>>>>

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

31 Users are viewing the Alcoholism Forum right now

Search the Alcoholism Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Urine tests for alcohol on probation (Jan '11) 4 hr -Duke 1,134
Middle-age drinking 'hits memory' 7 hr DUH I BOOZE 1
12x12: The Twelve Sobrieties and the Twelve Rel... 15 hr RDL 1
Alcohol Test Sun VEP 1
Roach: Alcohol abuse can inhibit sexual function Jul 25 Hugh Hef 1
I could have been 5 years sober on July 20th. Jul 19 RDL 1
Homeless shelter closes in Ukiah Jul 19 Here Is One 1
•••
•••