Mokena couple fight to keep fence they say protects autistic son

Full story: The Southtown Star

Sean Flynn, of Mokena, is being told to take down a 25-foot section of fencing in his back yard because he is not allowed to install permanent structures on a land easement that passes through his and neighboring properties.

Comments (Page 2)

Showing posts 21 - 40 of104
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Oaks Resident

Hillside, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 21, 2012

Judged:

manipulating wrote:
It seems as though the Flynn's probally contacted the newspaper to get their story covered, hoping for a outcry of support.
Guess that strategy backfired.
The article doesn't mention who the fencing contractor was that knowingly installed the illegal portion of the fence.
If he is a licensed fencing contratcator, the village of Mokena should yank his license. Contractors that knowing violate laws should not work in the village.
My sister in law works for Pioneer Grove a school that one of the Finn's children attended. When there was a shortage of personal DVD players and children would have to share or worse have to wait to participate in classroom activities Mr Finn just happened to stop by with 20 Brand New DVD Players one for every single child in the class, and when they asked if Sean and lisa Finn or Finn Construction should be listed as the one who donated all the equipment Mr Finn remained anonymous. But you are so quick to judge that Mr Finn called the newspaper. A person that would donate thousands of dollars in equipment to a school and then remain anonymous, doesnít really fit a person that would go calling the newspaper on himself. If anything I would not want the press if I was Mr Finn but yet you know that he contacted them.
The reporter stopped by my house and asked me some of my ideaís about the situation and I asked her straight out who contacted the paper? She informed me that the original story was NOT the Sun Times it was the South Town who was contacted by a autism outreach group, after the originally story ran, then the Sun Times picked it up a daily meeting they have. I love how you assume that you know everything and that they contacted the paper and then you use the word Back fire? What really happened here is a person like yourself assumes they know a situation and now talk about backfire, It really makes you look like a ASS. I guess thatís why the old saying is never ASSume anything. I just wished that a few ignorant residents did not make the whole subdivision look bad. I never thought I would post anything here but as I read I realize how much people do not know, but still think they know everything.
Sean Flynn

Hillside, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 21, 2012

Judged:

myview wrote:
completely agree with "neighbor in the know". Why build on this lot, it does not meet the needs of your family.
Sean, being in the construction business knows all about covenants and assocaition rules.
This is just the way he chooses to handle things.
He is going to do what he wants, when and how he wants.
Like when he owned the Bar in Frankfort. He knew Neon lights were illegal signage in Frankfort. So he installed a neon light and they fought with the village because he wanted to keep the neon sign.
He's one of those guys you would just like to see be told- NO. Just for the principal of it. We all need to follow rules. But it won't happen in this case they will scream discrimination.
You are more then welcome to come and tell me NO. Yes being in construction I have some knowledge of associations and covenants and I am sorry when a association tells me that a PLAY SET is allowed in a easment, but a fence for safety is NOT guess what your Damn Right I put up the fence. Come over and take it down if you want to, if your opinion is that I should not have it there come over and start taking it down.
PS frankfort Does allow neon Signage, it just cant Blink, Like I was told the other day, How do you account for DUMB. Guess you just cant. FLYNN-OUT
Sean Flynn

Hillside, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 21, 2012

Judged:

Neighbor in the know wrote:
<quoted text>
I believe you had a pick up truck prior to your 4 wheel drive, no vehicle expertise needed. The whole neighborhood knows who the joke is.. I'm done wasting my time here, good luck.
Wont need luck, Dakota was All-Wheel drive also Keep guessing??? maybe I have a Yugo.
Hey you figured out you were wasting your time, making stupid false statements that made you seem cool, until the facts came out that proved that you were dumb. but hey the important thing here is that you learned, I am glad that you will no longer be wasting your time. I am proud of you. Learning is a important part of development. Knowledge is power. maybe we can set up a Oaks Study night where we all get together and pretend to know everything then we can figure out together how dumb we are?
I will host first, who has the Second??????????
Sean Flynn

Hillside, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 21, 2012

Judged:

friend wrote:
Wow, if you are the real person, you have a lot to learn about forums and use of names. Most people practice online safety. You should try it.
ONLINE SAFTEY? Most people dont have the balls to leave the Name, because most of the stuff on here is crap and what they write in computer land they would never have the nerve to say to someone's face, saftey another copout people dont leave names so they can play big shot and write whatever they feel like. come on you believe that crap. I put my name here because what I wrote is the truth, when people make crap up they leave a name like Stupid oaks resident who knows everything, come on who you trying to kid. I am as Real as it gets... take it to the bank.
Observing

Evergreen Park, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 21, 2012

Judged:

Autistic children or not...fences are useful. But, why couldn't it be shortened to stay within the covenants?

Since: Jan 07

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 21, 2012

Judged:

The names people use has little do to with truth verses non truth. Hello. People all over use that claim about not using real names when in fact, those who complain end up the stalkers. No one in their right mind would use their real name in a public online forum,(more so when they have a disabled child) where anyone world-wide has access to. And this site alone allows you to post without even being a registered member, which you are not.
I'm glad you chose to use your 'real name', although there's hardly proof of who you really are anyway. Everyone can now see how you are, in 'real life' via an online forum. And thanks to that article, now every nut knows where you live. Was the fencing that one area worth all this???
Support Freedom-Not Fraud

Evergreen Park, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 21, 2012

Judged:

Oaks Resident wrote:
<quoted text>
My sister in law works for Pioneer Grove a school that one of the Finn's children attended. When there was a shortage of personal DVD players and children would have to share or worse have to wait to participate in classroom activities Mr Finn just happened to stop by with 20 Brand New DVD Players one for every single child in the class, and when they asked if Sean and lisa Finn or Finn Construction should be listed as the one who donated all the equipment Mr Finn remained anonymous. But you are so quick to judge that Mr Finn called the newspaper. A person that would donate thousands of dollars in equipment to a school and then remain anonymous, doesnít really fit a person that would go calling the newspaper on himself. If anything I would not want the press if I was Mr Finn but yet you know that he contacted them.
The reporter stopped by my house and asked me some of my ideaís about the situation and I asked her straight out who contacted the paper? She informed me that the original story was NOT the Sun Times it was the South Town who was contacted by a autism outreach group, after the originally story ran, then the Sun Times picked it up a daily meeting they have. I love how you assume that you know everything and that they contacted the paper and then you use the word Back fire? What really happened here is a person like yourself assumes they know a situation and now talk about backfire, It really makes you look like a ASS. I guess thatís why the old saying is never ASSume anything. I just wished that a few ignorant residents did not make the whole subdivision look bad. I never thought I would post anything here but as I read I realize how much people do not know, but still think they know everything.
How do you know that equipment wasn't stolen? And, do you really know the "Finn's" as you like to call them. I'd also like to hear more about the house being built with parts from a foreclosure property...
josef

Frankfort, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 21, 2012

Judged:

Support Freedom-Not Fraud wrote:
<quoted text>
How do you know that equipment wasn't stolen? And, do you really know the "Finn's" as you like to call them. I'd also like to hear more about the house being built with parts from a foreclosure property...
are you an athletic supporter?
car expert

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 21, 2012

Judged:

That junky base Dodge Dakota was a 2wd ... one of the many lies
funny

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 21, 2012

Judged:

He sure got fat ... he probably should not be trying to fight everyone
Support Freedom-Not Fraud

Evergreen Park, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 21, 2012

Judged:

josef wrote:
<quoted text> are you an athletic supporter?
No...I don't support athletics. But...I can see where you're going with your questioning. Let's focus on the real issue...the fence could've been built within the guidelines and still protected the children. I'm not opposed to fencing. Just don't bend the rules just to prove you can...especially at the expense of others. And, that seems like the case here. There's no question that Mr. and Mrs. Flynn (who seem very knowledgeable about contruction) knew the rules and purposely violated them. They could've very easily brought that fence in a few feet and closed it off to protect the children while obeying the associations covenants. That's what good citizens would do. If the above posts are true, it's clearly not the first time Mr. Flynn has bent the rules for his personal gain.
a real friend

Orland Park, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 21, 2012

Judged:

I cant believe that all of you so-called friends, disappointed/ashamed and in the Know, have so much to say about this couple and their kids. Who are you that you can Preach and act like God. This is about a fence for children. Weather it be a normal child or one with Any type of disability. Why do you have this Association...So you can all watch each other and run and tell tales. They said knew about the easment and never said they didnt. Why are you all so worried about them that you spent Hours and Hours writing and looking up their name and personal info---only to use a fake name and area. Why would you want to do this. Talk about what type of person Sean and Lisa are--what about you. You all make a bad name for parents of any type of child and any subdivision. Shame on all of you. How would you like it if your Friends etc. wrote about you. By the way.. who is watching your children. What type of Parent our you that you can cast a stone on others. You dont know a Damn thing about these people. Have you met them, talk to them. Or simply looked them up... I am very sure all of the fine neighbors in Golden Oaks have something to hide.. take a look at yourselves. What about your pools and your parties for the "in the Know" ONLY!!! YOU NEED to keep an eye on your own wives and your husbands. How are you treating your Kids!!!! Please keep your lies and False statements to yourselves. If you cant tell them to their face dont say to on this forum. You are All Ball-less wonders-
Truth Be Told

Frankfort, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 21, 2012

Judged:

a real friend wrote:
I cant believe that all of you so-called friends, disappointed/ashamed and in the Know, have so much to say about this couple and their kids. Who are you that you can Preach and act like God. This is about a fence for children. Weather it be a normal child or one with Any type of disability. Why do you have this Association...So you can all watch each other and run and tell tales. They said knew about the easment and never said they didnt. Why are you all so worried about them that you spent Hours and Hours writing and looking up their name and personal info---only to use a fake name and area. Why would you want to do this. Talk about what type of person Sean and Lisa are--what about you. You all make a bad name for parents of any type of child and any subdivision. Shame on all of you. How would you like it if your Friends etc. wrote about you. By the way.. who is watching your children. What type of Parent our you that you can cast a stone on others. You dont know a Damn thing about these people. Have you met them, talk to them. Or simply looked them up... I am very sure all of the fine neighbors in Golden Oaks have something to hide.. take a look at yourselves. What about your pools and your parties for the "in the Know" ONLY!!! YOU NEED to keep an eye on your own wives and your husbands. How are you treating your Kids!!!! Please keep your lies and False statements to yourselves. If you cant tell them to their face dont say to on this forum. You are All Ball-less wonders-
"Ashamed and disappointed' obviously has known Sean Flynn personally and hit the 'nail on the head'. His own family would confirm all of it.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 21, 2012

Judged:

a real friend wrote:
use a fake name and area.
Talk about accusations and so called friends. Sorry sweetie, you're wrong. You cant change the location. It's generated from your IP location. Nothing fake there and isn't it odd, you used a fake name, too.

Any time you put yourself out there for the public, you have to be able to 'take' what comes. If this family was expecting a ton of support, they should had thought twice before that interview.
GLAD I LIVE IN ORLAND

Tinley Park, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 21, 2012

Judged:

friend wrote:
<quoted text>
Talk about accusations and so called friends. Sorry sweetie, you're wrong. You cant change the location. It's generated from your IP location. Nothing fake there and isn't it odd, you used a fake name, too.
Any time you put yourself out there for the public, you have to be able to 'take' what comes. If this family was expecting a ton of support, they should had thought twice before that interview.
THen why is your area hidden??? You have an awful lot of time on your hands to put in your two cents about other people. What would I get if I googled your name? You should be spending your time with your children and get off the computer, and sweetie is not a word I would use for you.....
Meirene

Malvern, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 21, 2012

Judged:

Huh?

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 21, 2012

Judged:

I'm registered at this site, clearly can be seen since 2007. The only one in fact on this topic who is registered. Due to that, I can choose to show my location or not. This was posted in the autism forum, which is why I am here, not because of the location. Had this not been posted in the autism forum, I would never had seen it nor cared.

As much as I expect people to understand my child who has autism, I also expect my child with autism to respect the rights of others. The world just doesn't give him a free pass to break rules and laws due to autism, nor does it give me the right as his parent. I'm also not some one here who is posting all the mud or being rude to others. People like this family who use their child's disability as they did give the public all of us parents are like that, and trust me, stero typing is a daily thing. Next thing you know everyone who lives in an association and has a child with autism will break those rules, too.

Stick to the topic people. The family had permission to put of a fence with restrictions to one area. All the family had to do was construct the fence per that permission. They didn't. They are the ones who paid the person to install the fence. If you go beyond the permission given, no ifs and or buts. That family is in the wrong and should had argued their sons needs at the time of asking- and permission was given, not after they violated the rules. It isn't hard to figure out their strategy, since this isn't the first time it's been done and retold via the media. The only difference is, they used their son to break the rules, on a street posted 25 MPH.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 22, 2012

Judged:

This situation shouldn't be about autism, but it is. That's why it ended up in the autism forum. They (the Flynn's) are the ones who made it about autism. No one else did here.

On a side note about autism, I can think of a lot worse things my child could have than that. The media tends to hype it all up into some horror disability, including parents as the Flynn's, in order to bennefit in some manner. A non verbal child does not mean the child isn't intelligent as this article would lead you to believe of this child, and that's including having Apraxia.
Yes, having a child specifically with autism is difficult, but not the end of the world or impossible foe 2 parents or a single parent. Many have more than one child, and no fences and they can manage, and they don't break the rules or use their child as an excuse.
hmmm

Schererville, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 22, 2012

Judged:

Wow, there is so much don't know where to start. When my kids were little we read the book the "Greedy Gimmies". Each line started out Gimme this or I will... Fits right in with this family. Gimmie free/or I will... steal electric, give me free/or I will... steal water. Give me free land that I don't pay tax on that is deemed an easement and let me build a fence on property that I don't own..
Seems like the Flynn's should pull that book out of the library and take a peek.
Or better yet, they can sit down and READ it to the kids, so they can keep "tabs" on them. Maybe you shouldn't have kids if you can't keep "tabs" on them. It seems if oldest is 8, then 3 kids under him should not be running the streets--usually parents use the word "tabs" with teenage children. You know, the ones that drive like immature, juvenile, people like Mr. Flynn, who are so selfish all they look out for is themselves.
Mr. Flynn, who doesn't follow rules, and lets others pick up his slack, or pay (literally) for him to coast through life. When he is ripping down the street, does he take our kids, family or pets into consideration? Don't think so.
But, what is good for him, is not for anyone else. You obviously knew you would need a fence with your 4 kids. This was stated that 5 years ago you bought the land. If you wanted to be a good neighbor, let alone a good person, you need to set an example for your children. I for one am glad you aren't my father.
hmmm

Schererville, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 22, 2012

Judged:

Just reading some of the earlier posts and noticed that Sean actually wrote this.

HEY idiot it happens because it takes a year to catch up, kinda like you were in school. when you call ask why the sun has been so bright it has been hurting my eyes maybe they can turn it down a little. again no name like hiding in bushes.

Now if someone had a disability or was slow, was that a really appropriate comment to make about being "slow to catch up"? Again, shows the maturity - or shall I say lack of maturity on his part.

So sad...

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 21 - 40 of104
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••
•••