Smoking ban to go before Ohio Supreme Court

Apr 8, 2011 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Business First of Columbus

The Ohio Supreme Court on Wednesday agreed to hear a Columbus-based case that challenges the constitutionality of the state's indoor smoking ban, the Dayton Daily News reports .

Comments (Page 1,017)

Showing posts 20,321 - 20,340 of21,309
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Reality Speaks

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#22823
Apr 14, 2012
 

Judged:

2

2

2

Hugh Jass wrote:
<quoted text>
Dump the ad hominem.
If you think you add to the list and make smoking look like a good--or even excusable--activity, give it a shot. I don't believe I came close to exhausting the negatives.
like abortion, it is a choice

want some negatives regarding abortion?

Abortion for fact kills......smoking can

so in closing, this is a illegal law that infringes upon property rights protected by the US Constitution; and will be struck down.
The Canadian Sympathizer

Victoria, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#22824
Apr 14, 2012
 

Judged:

2

2

2

Hugh Jass wrote:
<quoted text>
First, you clearly are NOT representative, given the billions of butts hitting the ground every year. Second, an ashtray is ALWAYS provided--even if it is a mile away. If the inconvenience is an excuse for dropping the butt where you happen to have no further abuse for it, I don't see that you are claiming anything particularly admirable.
You are generating waste. Bag it and discard it appropriately if that is what it takes, and THEN come tell us what a good boy you are.
If the ashtray is a mile away, one is not being provided. Do you really believe your own statements? That has got to be one of the most moronic statements you have made.
The Canadian Sympathizer

Victoria, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#22825
Apr 14, 2012
 

Judged:

1

Freedom wrote:
I smoke in bed until I have to go to sleep; I wake up in the night, sometimes once, sometimes twice, sometimes three times, and I never waste any of these opportunities to smoke. This habit is so old and dear and precious to me that I would feel as you, sir, would feel if you should lose the only moral youíve got-meaning the chairman-if youíve got one: I am making no charges. I will grant, here, that I have stopped smoking now and then, for a few months at a time, but it was not on principle, it was only to show off; it was to pulverize those critics who said I was a slave to my habits and couldnít break my bonds.
To-day it is all of sixty years since I began to smoke the limit. I have never bought cigars with life-belts around them. I early found that those were too expensive for me. I have always bought cheap cigars-reasonably cheap, at any rate. Sixty years ago they cost me four dollars a barrel, but my taste has improved, latterly, and I pay seven now. Six or seven. Seven, I think. Yes, itís seven. But that includes the barrel. I often have smoking-parties at my house; but the people that come have always just taken the pledge. I wonder why that is?
As for drinking, I have no rule about that. When the others drink I like to help; otherwise I remain dry, by habit and preference. This dryness does not hurt me, but it could easily hurt you, because you are different. You let it alone.
Mark Twain, 1905.
You shouldn't smoke in bed. It's dangerous.

It's interesting, that with all the "secondhand smoke" propaganda, the real danger of smoking is seldom mentioned by the anti-smoking fanatics; that it causes fires. They talk about everything that their overactive imaginations can come up with, while ignoring the most obvious, and most real, danger of smoking.
Hugh Jass

Nashville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#22826
Apr 14, 2012
 

Judged:

3

3

2

Freedom wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm sure this will go over your head
Oh, no. I got it right away. You know you have nothing to scrape all the egg off your face and so you are coming back disparaging and tossing in the words/reasoning of a humorist from over a century ago as if it were somehow definitive in a serious discussion regarding conditions of today.
Does that about cover it?
Sorry, rerun, but you're a bore, boor.
Freedom

Niles, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#22827
Apr 14, 2012
 

Judged:

2

2

2

Hugh Jass wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh, no. I got it right away. You know you have nothing to scrape all the egg off your face and so you are coming back disparaging and tossing in the words/reasoning of a humorist from over a century ago as if it were somehow definitive in a serious discussion regarding conditions of today.
Does that about cover it?
Sorry, rerun, but you're a bore, boor.
If you actually "got it" you would hang your head in shame.

Mark Twain had a special way of mixing humor and philosophy, and the reason he is still remembered and celebrated today is because he was exceptionally good at it.

He had an extreme dislike for self righteous moral busybodies such as yourself, so it's no wonder you would do your best to discredit his timeless wisdom.

Then again, Mill and C.S. Lewis had your kinds number as well, and the fact is that when the history books are written, your kind will be recorded with the likes of Carrie Nation...a personality remembered with contempt and laughter.

Of course this will also go over your head...but history really does know your kind.

Now tell us oh self righteous one...have you FINALLY come up with even so much as ONE form of smoke that has been scientifically proven to have the "magical" property of there being "no safe level"?

What kind of movement uses disproven scientific theories to push their political agenda?

Hhhhmmmm.
Need a Breath Mint

Winnipeg, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#22828
Apr 14, 2012
 

Judged:

3

3

3

The Canadian Sympathizer wrote:
<quoted text>If the ashtray is a mile away, one is not being provided. Do you really believe your own statements? That has got to be one of the most moronic statements you have made.
But he's still managing to keep pace with you. it should be a photo finish so pick out your best dress.

“Pay Attention”

Since: Dec 06

Cincinnati

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#22829
Apr 14, 2012
 

Judged:

2

2

1

Reality Speaks wrote:
<quoted text>
gay sex kills also
how much time do you have left?
<><><>< >
Reality Speaks wrote:
<quoted text>
gay sex kills also
So does promiscuous heterosexual sex without protection. I assume you have a 'point'. I just don't know what it is..
Old Guy

Brookville, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#22831
Apr 14, 2012
 

Judged:

1

1

1

The Canadian Sympathizer wrote:
<quoted text>You shouldn't smoke in bed. It's dangerous.
It's interesting, that with all the "secondhand smoke" propaganda, the real danger of smoking is seldom mentioned by the anti-smoking fanatics; that it causes fires. They talk about everything that their overactive imaginations can come up with, while ignoring the most obvious, and most real, danger of smoking.
You are right. 25% of fire deaths are attributable to smoking. But that's a hazard mostly to the smoker (and their family.) The non-smoker is not at risk from that aspect of smoking. SHS gets the non-smoker's attention because it puts THEM (and their family) at risk.(At least that's what all of the US Surgeons General since 1964 say. I know there are some folks here that still dispute the point.)
Old Guy

Brookville, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#22832
Apr 14, 2012
 

Judged:

1

On a related topic, I was watching an old episode of "Route 66" from the early 1960s last Sunday. One scene had a very young Ed Asner (he still had a full head of hair!) smoking in bed. That was pretty common back then.
Hugh Jass

Nashville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#22833
Apr 14, 2012
 

Judged:

2

2

2

Reality Speaks wrote:
<quoted text>
like abortion, it is a choice
want some negatives regarding abortion?
Abortion for fact kills......smoking can
so in closing, this is a illegal law that infringes upon property rights protected by the US Constitution; and will be struck down.
Oh, joy! You give us more digression. I didn't really think any of you would have the integrity to actually give it a shot.
Hugh Jass

Nashville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#22834
Apr 14, 2012
 

Judged:

2

2

2

Old Guy wrote:
<quoted text>
You are right. 25% of fire deaths are attributable to smoking. But that's a hazard mostly to the smoker (and their family.) The non-smoker is not at risk from that aspect of smoking. SHS gets the non-smoker's attention because it puts THEM (and their family) at risk.(At least that's what all of the US Surgeons General since 1964 say. I know there are some folks here that still dispute the point.)
It might be informative to look into the statistics on that. In the US, smoking is only "one of" the top causes of home fires or home fire fatalities, but it tops the list of causes of apartment fire fatalities. In apartment buildings, many families other than that of the smoker are often at risk.
SHS, of course, is constantly noticeable and constantly causing some level of impact. Fires are more of an "in the moment" class of event. They naturally receive less attention from anyone who hasn't been directly affected by a smoker-driven fire.
Too, the number of deaths per year attributable to smoking-related fires is miniscule compared to the number attributed to chronic SHS exposure.
Of course, you are right about the capacity of the smokers' advocates to insist that because THEY can still refuse to believe it, the consensus of the global medical community must be erroneous.
Hugh Jass

Nashville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#22835
Apr 14, 2012
 

Judged:

2

2

2

Old Guy wrote:
On a related topic, I was watching an old episode of "Route 66" from the early 1960s last Sunday. One scene had a very young Ed Asner (he still had a full head of hair!) smoking in bed. That was pretty common back then.
I haven't thought about that show in decades. It is odd to think how seldom TV shows even used to acknowledge the existence of bathrooms, let alone people being affectionate in bed. I wonder what "I Love Lucy" would look like today, or what sort of trouble Wally and the Beave would be getting into? I wonder, come to that, whether the writers tried to have the older brother named "Willie"?
Hugh Jass

Nashville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#22836
Apr 15, 2012
 

Judged:

2

2

2

Cincy Steve wrote:
<quoted text>
<><><>< >
<quoted text>
So does promiscuous heterosexual sex without protection. I assume you have a 'point'. I just don't know what it is..
Lack of sex can mess up your prostate and kill, come to that.

Since people seem to be into quoting humorists and sci-fi writers lately, there is an offering from (I think) Poul Anderson. "Abstinence makes the font grow harder." I think it was in "Midsummer Night's Tempest".
Hugh Jass

Nashville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#22837
Apr 15, 2012
 

Judged:

2

2

2

The Canadian Sympathizer wrote:
<quoted text>If the ashtray is a mile away, one is not being provided. Do you really believe your own statements? That has got to be one of the most moronic statements you have made.
The ashtray exists, and therefore it IS provided. The CONVENIENCE provided is at a low level, but that does NOT absolve you of responsibility for your own trash. Do you really believe your own statements? That has got to be one of the most self-serving--no, I take that back. You have provided many worse that that.

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#22838
Apr 16, 2012
 

Judged:

2

2

2

On Thursday, it will be 6 months since the Ohio Supreme Court has heard the arguments regarding the smoking ban. Still no word. If they found the arguments against the ban to be valid, you would think they would have returned an opinion by now. As it is, bars in OH are beginning to lose their liquor licenses because of unpaid fines. The court obviously feels that those bars going out of business is a positive for OH.
Hugh Jass

Nashville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#22840
Apr 16, 2012
 

Judged:

4

4

4

I DO NOT SMOKE wrote:
On Thursday, it will be 6 months since the Ohio Supreme Court has heard the arguments regarding the smoking ban. Still no word. If they found the arguments against the ban to be valid, you would think they would have returned an opinion by now. As it is, bars in OH are beginning to lose their liquor licenses because of unpaid fines. The court obviously feels that those bars going out of business is a positive for OH.
The bar-owners who refuse to pay the fines must feel that losing their liquor licenses is a positive. Obeying the law is, after all, an option.
Freedom

Niles, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#22841
Apr 17, 2012
 

Judged:

4

4

4

Hugh Jass wrote:
<quoted text>
The bar-owners who refuse to pay the fines must feel that losing their liquor licenses is a positive. Obeying the law is, after all, an option.
Really?

Can you name one other forms of smoke that is regulated with the preposterous notion of there being "no safe level" that has been used as a justification for closing a business down?

Please...name even so much as one.

I'll be waiting....

Now come to thing of it...just what other forms of smoke are even regulated with the "magical" standard of there being "no safe level"?

Got a list?

No?

*chuckles under breath*

Who in their right mind would obey a law that is based on a HUGE set of double standards?

There is nothing more annoying than a self righteous moral busybody with HUGE double standards.
Freedom

Niles, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#22842
Apr 17, 2012
 

Judged:

4

4

4

Hugh Jass wrote:
<quoted text>
The ashtray exists, and therefore it IS provided. The CONVENIENCE provided is at a low level, but that does NOT absolve you of responsibility for your own trash. Do you really believe your own statements? That has got to be one of the most self-serving--no, I take that back. You have provided many worse that that.
An ashtray on the dark side of the moon may very well exist as well...eh?

You fanatical control freaks would be funny...if you weren't so fanatically dangerous.

Tell us...are you this hard on the gum chewers and the fast food addicts?

If so...please provide us with a link to your self righteous rants....
Freedom

Niles, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#22843
Apr 17, 2012
 

Judged:

4

4

4

I DO NOT SMOKE wrote:
On Thursday, it will be 6 months since the Ohio Supreme Court has heard the arguments regarding the smoking ban. Still no word. If they found the arguments against the ban to be valid, you would think they would have returned an opinion by now. As it is, bars in OH are beginning to lose their liquor licenses because of unpaid fines. The court obviously feels that those bars going out of business is a positive for OH.
One would have to figure that these Fascistic bans will be tossed out right around the same time as the NDAA, the so called Patriot act...and the molesters at the TSA...eh?

Does the term "useful idiot" mean anything to you?

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#22844
Apr 17, 2012
 

Judged:

5

4

4

Freedom wrote:
<quoted text>

Does the term "useful idiot" mean anything to you?
Actually, it does. It describes you to a "T".

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 20,321 - 20,340 of21,309
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••