Smoking ban to go before Ohio Supreme Court

Apr 8, 2011 Full story: Business First of Columbus 21,302

The Ohio Supreme Court on Wednesday agreed to hear a Columbus-based case that challenges the constitutionality of the state's indoor smoking ban, the Dayton Daily News reports .

Full Story
Old Guy

Brookville, OH

#22831 Apr 14, 2012
The Canadian Sympathizer wrote:
<quoted text>You shouldn't smoke in bed. It's dangerous.
It's interesting, that with all the "secondhand smoke" propaganda, the real danger of smoking is seldom mentioned by the anti-smoking fanatics; that it causes fires. They talk about everything that their overactive imaginations can come up with, while ignoring the most obvious, and most real, danger of smoking.
You are right. 25% of fire deaths are attributable to smoking. But that's a hazard mostly to the smoker (and their family.) The non-smoker is not at risk from that aspect of smoking. SHS gets the non-smoker's attention because it puts THEM (and their family) at risk.(At least that's what all of the US Surgeons General since 1964 say. I know there are some folks here that still dispute the point.)
Old Guy

Brookville, OH

#22832 Apr 14, 2012
On a related topic, I was watching an old episode of "Route 66" from the early 1960s last Sunday. One scene had a very young Ed Asner (he still had a full head of hair!) smoking in bed. That was pretty common back then.
Hugh Jass

Nashville, TN

#22833 Apr 14, 2012
Reality Speaks wrote:
<quoted text>
like abortion, it is a choice
want some negatives regarding abortion?
Abortion for fact kills......smoking can
so in closing, this is a illegal law that infringes upon property rights protected by the US Constitution; and will be struck down.
Oh, joy! You give us more digression. I didn't really think any of you would have the integrity to actually give it a shot.
Hugh Jass

Nashville, TN

#22834 Apr 14, 2012
Old Guy wrote:
<quoted text>
You are right. 25% of fire deaths are attributable to smoking. But that's a hazard mostly to the smoker (and their family.) The non-smoker is not at risk from that aspect of smoking. SHS gets the non-smoker's attention because it puts THEM (and their family) at risk.(At least that's what all of the US Surgeons General since 1964 say. I know there are some folks here that still dispute the point.)
It might be informative to look into the statistics on that. In the US, smoking is only "one of" the top causes of home fires or home fire fatalities, but it tops the list of causes of apartment fire fatalities. In apartment buildings, many families other than that of the smoker are often at risk.
SHS, of course, is constantly noticeable and constantly causing some level of impact. Fires are more of an "in the moment" class of event. They naturally receive less attention from anyone who hasn't been directly affected by a smoker-driven fire.
Too, the number of deaths per year attributable to smoking-related fires is miniscule compared to the number attributed to chronic SHS exposure.
Of course, you are right about the capacity of the smokers' advocates to insist that because THEY can still refuse to believe it, the consensus of the global medical community must be erroneous.
Hugh Jass

Nashville, TN

#22835 Apr 14, 2012
Old Guy wrote:
On a related topic, I was watching an old episode of "Route 66" from the early 1960s last Sunday. One scene had a very young Ed Asner (he still had a full head of hair!) smoking in bed. That was pretty common back then.
I haven't thought about that show in decades. It is odd to think how seldom TV shows even used to acknowledge the existence of bathrooms, let alone people being affectionate in bed. I wonder what "I Love Lucy" would look like today, or what sort of trouble Wally and the Beave would be getting into? I wonder, come to that, whether the writers tried to have the older brother named "Willie"?
Hugh Jass

Nashville, TN

#22836 Apr 15, 2012
Cincy Steve wrote:
<quoted text>
<><><>< >
<quoted text>
So does promiscuous heterosexual sex without protection. I assume you have a 'point'. I just don't know what it is..
Lack of sex can mess up your prostate and kill, come to that.

Since people seem to be into quoting humorists and sci-fi writers lately, there is an offering from (I think) Poul Anderson. "Abstinence makes the font grow harder." I think it was in "Midsummer Night's Tempest".
Hugh Jass

Nashville, TN

#22837 Apr 15, 2012
The Canadian Sympathizer wrote:
<quoted text>If the ashtray is a mile away, one is not being provided. Do you really believe your own statements? That has got to be one of the most moronic statements you have made.
The ashtray exists, and therefore it IS provided. The CONVENIENCE provided is at a low level, but that does NOT absolve you of responsibility for your own trash. Do you really believe your own statements? That has got to be one of the most self-serving--no, I take that back. You have provided many worse that that.

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

#22838 Apr 16, 2012
On Thursday, it will be 6 months since the Ohio Supreme Court has heard the arguments regarding the smoking ban. Still no word. If they found the arguments against the ban to be valid, you would think they would have returned an opinion by now. As it is, bars in OH are beginning to lose their liquor licenses because of unpaid fines. The court obviously feels that those bars going out of business is a positive for OH.
Hugh Jass

Nashville, TN

#22840 Apr 16, 2012
I DO NOT SMOKE wrote:
On Thursday, it will be 6 months since the Ohio Supreme Court has heard the arguments regarding the smoking ban. Still no word. If they found the arguments against the ban to be valid, you would think they would have returned an opinion by now. As it is, bars in OH are beginning to lose their liquor licenses because of unpaid fines. The court obviously feels that those bars going out of business is a positive for OH.
The bar-owners who refuse to pay the fines must feel that losing their liquor licenses is a positive. Obeying the law is, after all, an option.
Freedom

Niles, MI

#22841 Apr 17, 2012
Hugh Jass wrote:
<quoted text>
The bar-owners who refuse to pay the fines must feel that losing their liquor licenses is a positive. Obeying the law is, after all, an option.
Really?

Can you name one other forms of smoke that is regulated with the preposterous notion of there being "no safe level" that has been used as a justification for closing a business down?

Please...name even so much as one.

I'll be waiting....

Now come to thing of it...just what other forms of smoke are even regulated with the "magical" standard of there being "no safe level"?

Got a list?

No?

*chuckles under breath*

Who in their right mind would obey a law that is based on a HUGE set of double standards?

There is nothing more annoying than a self righteous moral busybody with HUGE double standards.
Freedom

Niles, MI

#22842 Apr 17, 2012
Hugh Jass wrote:
<quoted text>
The ashtray exists, and therefore it IS provided. The CONVENIENCE provided is at a low level, but that does NOT absolve you of responsibility for your own trash. Do you really believe your own statements? That has got to be one of the most self-serving--no, I take that back. You have provided many worse that that.
An ashtray on the dark side of the moon may very well exist as well...eh?

You fanatical control freaks would be funny...if you weren't so fanatically dangerous.

Tell us...are you this hard on the gum chewers and the fast food addicts?

If so...please provide us with a link to your self righteous rants....
Freedom

Niles, MI

#22843 Apr 17, 2012
I DO NOT SMOKE wrote:
One would have to figure that these Fascistic bans will be tossed out right around the same time as the NDAA, the so called Patriot act...and the molesters at the TSA...eh?

Does the term "useful idiot" mean anything to you?

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

#22844 Apr 17, 2012
Freedom wrote:
<quoted text>

Does the term "useful idiot" mean anything to you?
Actually, it does. It describes you to a "T".
Hugh Jass

Nashville, TN

#22845 Apr 18, 2012
Freedom wrote:
<quoted text>
Really?
Can you name one other forms of smoke that is regulated with the preposterous notion of there being "no safe level" that has been used as a justification for closing a business down?
Please...name even so much as one.
Oh, let's see, now, how to respond to that line of BS...Maybe,

"Really? Can you name an argument that has anything to do with the subject at hand?"

Or maybe,
"Really? Can you name one other public health violation you think the owners should be able to refuse to pay fines for?"

Or, possibly,

"Really? Can you name one other forms [sic] of smoke that has consistently topped virtually every list of preventable causes of death in country after country the world over, year after year?
Please...Name even so much as one."

Nah, maybe I should just ignore it as the same dismal pretense of rationality that appears now and then under that user name and say,

"You're a bore, boor." Yeah, I think I'll do that.
Hugh Jass

Nashville, TN

#22846 Apr 18, 2012
Freedom wrote:
<quoted text>
An ashtray on the dark side of the moon may very well exist as well...eh?
Highly doubtful. If one did, however, would that somehow qualify as an excuse for not dealing with your own trash?
You're a boor, bore.
Hugh Jass

Nashville, TN

#22847 Apr 18, 2012
Freedom wrote:
One would have to figure that these Fascistic bans will be tossed out right around the same time as the NDAA,
Let's see, now, for YOU that would mean, "Need for Drastic Attitude Adjustment", right? You aren't likely to shed THAT any time soon.

“Non smoking freedom loving vet”

Since: Apr 08

Chicago

#22848 Apr 19, 2012
I DO NOT SMOKE wrote:
These bans are the easieast way to close these places of sin and degredation. Onward Christian soldiers.
chicken little

Richmond, VA

#22849 Apr 19, 2012
generalsn1234567 wrote:
<quoted text>These bans are the easieast way to close these places of sin and degredation. Onward Christian soldiers.
If the only people who hang there are filthy, vile smokers, then they should close. Let the places that cater to decent nonsmokers stay open.open.
Freedom

Chicago, IL

#22851 Apr 19, 2012
Hugh Jass wrote:
Oh, let's see, now, how to respond to that line of BS...Maybe,
"Really? Can you name an argument that has anything to do with the subject at hand?"
BS eh?

Eeerrrrr, your entire Fascistic ban is based on the notion of there being such a thing as "no safe level" of ETS, so this is certainly on topic.

Without this ridiculous notion, your bans would not exist as they are written...now would they?

Now once again...just what other forms of smoke are regulated with the "magical" standard of there being "no safe level"?

You can't find any, can you....for obvious reasons such as your entire "religion" is based on shear hypocrisy, disproven theories, and outright lies.
Hugh Jass wrote:
Or maybe,
"Really? Can you name one other public health violation you think the owners should be able to refuse to pay fines for?"
Sure, Happy Meal bans are downright Fascistically stupid as well, and I would praise and support any establishment for breaking that ridiculous law.

Transfat bans also fall into this category as it's none of your ilks business as to what someone decides to eat.
Hugh Jass wrote:
Or, possibly,
"Really? Can you name one other forms [sic] of smoke that has consistently topped virtually every list of preventable causes of death in country after country the world over, year after year?
Please...Name even so much as one."
You and your merry band of fanatics can make up any statistic you please, and we all know it's nothing but junk science used to push an agenda.

Go spew your ridiculous rhetoric to Al Gore and his band of "useful idiots".

Here's the actual form of smoke that is by far the most responsible for the toxins you breath.

http://www.thefreelibrary.com/Cholesterol:+up...

Cass and his co-workers quantified 29 different sources of tiny organic particles in Los Angeles' air. In the April ES&T, they reported that meat smoke appears to account for more than one-fifth of these particles, substantially exceeding any other single source--including fireplaces, gasoline- and diesel-powered vehicles, dust raised during road paving, forest fires, organic chemical processing, metallurgical processing, jet aircraft and cigarettes.
Hugh Jass wrote:
Nah, maybe I should just ignore it as the same dismal pretense of rationality that appears now and then under that user name and say,
"You're a bore, boor." Yeah, I think I'll do that.
Well ain' that the pot calling the kettle black! LOL

Like I've told you before...you are simply educated beyond your level of intelligence.
Freedom

Chicago, IL

#22852 Apr 19, 2012
Hugh Jass wrote:
<quoted text>
Let's see, now, for YOU that would mean, "Need for Drastic Attitude Adjustment", right? You aren't likely to shed THAT any time soon.
Or in your case...Narcissitic Dominering A$$&ole Association.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Health Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Asbestos Cleanse Discovery Needed 19 min Paul Bear 6
No New Layoffs Planned Now, CIGNA Says (Nov '08) 2 hr ironic 7
As Statewide Smoking Ban Burns Out in Capitol, ... 4 hr Pete 2
Vaccines and Autism 5 hr friend 11
Dr. Reddy's Launches Authorized Generic Version... (Nov '08) 7 hr Lil 57
Autism and stress at holiday time 7 hr spaaqua19 2
Nurse anesthetists aren't the same as anesthesi... (Sep '10) 7 hr spaaqua19 119
More from around the web