Psychiatry: What Is Normal?

Jun 22, 2012 Full story: Daily Kos 36

This is the first of an occasionally-appearing series on topics having to do with psychiatry.

Full Story
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
HUMANSPIRIT

Interlachen, FL

#1 Jun 24, 2012
Psychiatry is based upon the Republican (ALEC) scale of what they decide is profitable at the annual APA CIRCLE JERK each year.
Vaccines Mental Health

Winnipeg, Canada

#3 Jun 24, 2012
These psychiatrists want to lable mourning a mental illness. Yeah, if a loved one or pet dies or maybe you lose your job and it makes you sad or you grieve a loss, they want to label it mental illness. There is a conspiracy between Big pharma and pychiatry to find new reasons/illnesses to prescribe more Pharma product. Ka-Ching Ka-Ching $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Since: Jun 12

Montréal, Canada

#4 Jun 28, 2012
I know there's no point in me responding to this forum, but I really just can't help myself.

I think the article raises an interesting point, one that I cannot specifically attest for. What is normal? It's certainly a subjective question.

There is corruption within the medical community, but I do not understand this fascination with targeting psychiatry. Sure, there are problems within the psychiatric community. But there are problems everywhere in the medical field.

What do you propose we do? Get rid of mental health care?

Sherbrooke, Canada

#6 Jun 28, 2012
Idiot Detector wrote:
<quoted text>
You are a perfect example of whats wrong, you don't get it. We want meaningful improvement. We want truth and not psychiatry calling normal human sadness a mental illness. We want them to stop pushing pills and for pills used, safety tests BEFORE licencing and approval. We want Pharma crime and corruption investigated and prosecuted.
I'm a "perfect example" am I? Please, enlighten me on what I could have possibly said in my short post that proves I'm a "perfect example."

There is a very large difference between normal human sadness and clinical depression. Are you a psychiatrist? Do you work in the mental health field? Do you have any relevant education?

I agree that pharmaceutical companies can be corrupt. There is certainly corruption within the FDA.

Psychiatrists push pills because that is all we know how to do at the moment. I don't agree with it, hence why I'm going into this field.

If you have such revolutionary ideas about mental health care, why are you holding back? Please, enlighten us. How should we fix the system? What would you have psychiatrists do for patients with MDD, bipolar disorder, anxiety disorders, schizophrenia, etc., etc., etc.
HUMANSPRIT

Fort White, FL

#7 Jun 29, 2012
Allen Frances: Is Government Intervention Needed to Prevent an Unsafe DSM 5?

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/allen-frances/d...

Sherbrooke, Canada

#8 Jun 29, 2012
HUMANSPRIT wrote:
Allen Frances: Is Government Intervention Needed to Prevent an Unsafe DSM 5?
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/allen-frances/d...
Thank you for linking to this article.

It's sad to say, but I have to agree that there are many more problems with this edition of the DSM than with previous editions. The aspect that troubles me the most is the nondisclosure agreement. With an advisory board of only 27 members, why include a nondisclosure agreement? Would you not want more educated opinions to contribute?
HUMANSPRIT

Fort White, FL

#9 Jun 29, 2012
CAN_PsychStudent wrote:
<quoted text>
Thank you for linking to this article.
It's sad to say, but I have to agree that there are many more problems with this edition of the DSM than with previous editions. The aspect that troubles me the most is the nondisclosure agreement. With an advisory board of only 27 members, why include a nondisclosure agreement? Would you not want more educated opinions to contribute?

The history of the mental health industry from WWII to the 1950 MKULTRA to the Hippie generation to the Republican Reagan/Bush presidency followed by ALEC to the Bush Sr presidency paints a coup detat with the mental health Industry being in the pivotal position since the 1980's. Of interest is the CIA and the mind drugging of American and the supported position of the New World Order. No science to the Mental Health Industry. It's political and based on hearsay.
survived it

San Clemente, CA

#10 Jun 30, 2012
PSYCHIATRIC DRUGS - CHEMICAL LOBOTOMIES

The labels “antipsychotics” and “antidepressants” are seriously misleading. The “antipsychotics” do not combat or cure “psychosis” or “mental illness”, and “antidepressants” do not combat or cure depression or the fraudulent diagnosis “bipolar mood disorder”. Psychiatric drugs (“medication”) chemically control and disable people -- sometimes permanently. Neuroleptics is a more accurate term for “antipsychotics”, it means “nerve-seizing”. These psychiatric drugs are much more powerful, debilitating and brain-disabling than the “tranquilizers”(benzodiazepine s), which by the way are addictive. The neuroleptics and antidepressants frequently make people look and act apathetic, zombie-like as if they’ve been lobotomized -- even at moderate or low doses. These allegedly “safe and effective medications” always produce painful and serious “side effects”, some are health-threatening and brain-damaging; others are life-threatening. Consider these common effects: muscle cramps, dizziness, blurred vision, seizures, tardive dyskinesia (a permanent neurological disorder characterized by involuntary movements caused by the neuroleptics), tardive dementia, akathisia (constant restless pacing), nightmares, psychosis, parkinsonism, neuroleptic malignant syndrome (NMS is a neurological disorder with a prevalence rate of 2%-3%, and mortality rate of 20%-25%), and sudden death. Tardive dyskinesia (TD), tardive dementia, NMS and parkinsonism are all signs of brain damage. Although TD was discovered and reported in medical journals in the mid-1960s, the psychiatrists covered up or failed to warn patients about this horrific neurological “side effect” for about 20 years until the 1980s. After a few weeks or months on such “medication”, most patients look and act like a zombie, apathetic, indifferent to their surroundings. Dr. Peter Breggin (1997; 1991), Dr.Lars Martensson (1998), and other professional critics have documented these horrendous effects. Many psychiatric survivor-activists and other critics prefer the label “chemical lobotomy”, it succinctly describes their zombie experience. In a psychoprison or psychiatric ward, virtually everyone gets drugged -“put on meds”. Or threatened --“take your meds, or else”. This is also true of children who are admitted to psychiatric wards (LeFrancois, 2006).

Forced drugging compounds this abuse. Informed consent is a cruel sham since psychiatrists rarely if ever warn incarcerated involuntary and voluntary patients about common health risks and non-medical alternatives to the drugs. More often than not, psychiatrists coerce, threaten, or intimidate patients into consenting to “medication”(Burstow et al., 2005; Breggin and Cohen, 1999; Lehmann, 1998; Martensson, 1998; Whitaker, 2002). Powerful personal testimonies against the antidepressants and neuroleptics, including frequent violations of the right to informed consent, were frequently voiced by approximately twenty-five Canadian survivors during public hearings sponsored by the Coalition Against Psychiatric Assault (CAPA) and held in Toronto City Hall in April 2005 (Burstow et al, 2005).

Montréal, Canada

#23 Jul 3, 2012
There is a lot of scientific (and general) misinformation circulating around the internet, and this thread seems to be a hotspot for those who would like to perpetuate it.(As are most threads in the Health forum.)

Believing in unsubstantiated conspiracy theories does no good for anyone. No one with any kind of power (for good reason) will believe these outlandish theories. Stop trying to divert attention away from real problems! There are lots of real problems in psychiatry and health care in general. What is the point in trying to find new problems that aren't there?

Montréal, Canada

#25 Jul 3, 2012
Idiot Detector wrote:
<quoted text> Big story in the news, GlaxoSmithKline fined 3 billion dollars for bribing, manipulating and contaminating medical care by offering doctors gifts for PUSHING PRODUCT. Another conspiracy from anti-vaxxers Mr Know It All?
That is what I would call a "real problem." Pharmaceutical corruption is real. But pharmaceutical corruption is no different than any other sort of corporate corruption, and therein lies the difference between a conspiracy theory and a real issue.

Montréal, Canada

#27 Jul 4, 2012
Vaccines Cause Autism wrote:
<quoted text> Only a dork would sum up saying corruption is real but corrupt companies do no harm.
www.buenosairesherald.com/article/88922/gsk-l... -$1m-over-tests-that-killed-14 --babies
phnews.yahoo.com/glaxosmithkline-fined-3bn-us...
www.aboutlawsuits.com/glaxosmithkline-whistle...
A dork, huh? Nice rhetoric.

Of course companies do harm; just not intentionally. Sure, harm through negligence isn't much better than intentional harm. But I hardly think pharmaceutical companies are sitting around plotting world domination.

Montréal, Canada

#29 Jul 4, 2012
Pharma Maims kills wrote:
<quoted text> Pharma messes with human health. Its attempts at bettering nature's role and dominating it has caused more problems than it admits, can acknowledge or understand. Thats why we have emerging illness and conditions that start with the unintended damage vaccines do. But instead of apologizing (bad for reputation and profits) they hope to rectify these harms in the long run when they finally perfect vaccines.
So you'd prefer we just step back and let illness take its course?

Montréal, Canada

#31 Jul 4, 2012
Pharma Maims kills wrote:
<quoted text> Why ask that? I've never said it. Vaccines do two things, help and harm. They are not perfected or pristine. Watch any Pharma commercial, where the positives are blared while the negatives are whispered. Read a medical magazine where Pharma product is featured. The positives are with the ad, in bold easy to read print, the negatives are at the back of the magazine, 40 pages away and in print so small most do read them. That sums it up with vaccines, the negatives are hidden by various means including making no mention, denial and misinformation. The positives are in your face. Its dishonest and criminal.
Then what is your point?

Don't lecture me on the side effects of medication and vaccines, I'm sure I've taken more advanced pharmacology and immunology classes than you have.

If you're going to convince anyone of your point of view, at least have something to back it up with. I don't think anyone in their right mind would claim that pharmaceutical companies hire the most morally clean marketing executives in the world. The laundry list of side effects that comes with most drugs is a well-known fact.
HumanSpirit

Alachua, FL

#33 Jul 5, 2012
Idiot Detector wrote:
<quoted text> Big story in the news, GlaxoSmithKline fined 3 billion dollars for bribing, manipulating and contaminating medical care by offering doctors gifts for PUSHING PRODUCT. Another conspiracy from anti-vaxxers Mr Know It All?
What we are dealing with is corporations that have membership in the American Legal Exchange Corporations (ALEC) and then we judges that have membership in the organization. Look at the fines compared to the worldwide sales of a particular drug. The fine should be punishing.
HumanSpirit

Alachua, FL

#34 Jul 5, 2012
CAN_PsychStudent wrote:
<quoted text>
A dork, huh? Nice rhetoric.
Of course companies do harm; just not intentionally. Sure, harm through negligence isn't much better than intentional harm. But I hardly think pharmaceutical companies are sitting around plotting world domination.
What do you think the Mental Health Industry and pharmaceuticals was about since the Reagan / Bush presidency. Look at the European countries and the Australia. Russia is just waking up. Mind drugging the world without science. No medical model. No evidence based medicine. No test for chemical imbalance. How about the military. Look at the problems and the deaths on the battlefield. Then we have the Judiciary with the Family Law Courts (1980's) follow up by the new Mental Health Court (2000's) It has already been established that the Mental Health Industry is a threat to the health and welfare of any nation.

The Mental Health Industry is the pivotal role in a Republican corporate coup etat (USA) and against the world people. The Mind drugging of the people by the medical and psychiatry sciences is being watched today. I don't think we have to overlook the Statin drugs and memory loss from the cardiologist either. I also agree that vaccines are getting the new borns and school age children, the military and the aged. Wonder what their labs are going create next in the swine, bird flu, flesh eating , AIDS causing diseases of the world.
Psych Student

Orlando, FL

#35 Jul 7, 2012
Lol at this thread. Lets see all the harmful literature regarding vaccines. The rare moment that diseases get eliminated from populations, and people still complain.
HumanSpirit wrote:
<quoted text>
What do you think the Mental Health Industry and pharmaceuticals was about since the Reagan / Bush presidency. Look at the European countries and the Australia. Russia is just waking up. Mind drugging the world without science. No medical model. No evidence based medicine. No test for chemical imbalance. How about the military. Look at the problems and the deaths on the battlefield. Then we have the Judiciary with the Family Law Courts (1980's) follow up by the new Mental Health Court (2000's) It has already been established that the Mental Health Industry is a threat to the health and welfare of any nation.
The Mental Health Industry is the pivotal role in a Republican corporate coup etat (USA) and against the world people. The Mind drugging of the people by the medical and psychiatry sciences is being watched today. I don't think we have to overlook the Statin drugs and memory loss from the cardiologist either. I also agree that vaccines are getting the new borns and school age children, the military and the aged. Wonder what their labs are going create next in the swine, bird flu, flesh eating , AIDS causing diseases of the world.
No test for chemical imbalance? A plethora of diseases have no test that we're still struggling to treat.

I would expect such a comment from "Human Spirit." Scientology-like reasoning can be spotted a mile away. Yes we know about the government studies on mind control with virtually every psychotropic drug. At the end of the day mental illness still exist and pharmaceutical companies will provide grants for only the biological aspects psychiatry research. Gotta work with what we have.
Need A Dump

Winnipeg, Canada

#42 Jul 8, 2012
Psych Student wrote:
Lol at this thread. Lets see all the harmful literature regarding vaccines. The rare moment that diseases get eliminated from populations, and people still complain.
<quoted text>
No test for chemical imbalance? A plethora of diseases have no test that we're still struggling to treat.
I would expect such a comment from "Human Spirit." Scientology-like reasoning can be spotted a mile away. Yes we know about the government studies on mind control with virtually every psychotropic drug. At the end of the day mental illness still exist and pharmaceutical companies will provide grants for only the biological aspects psychiatry research. Gotta work with what we have.
Translation: DUH!
Right Fn On

Winnipeg, Canada

#43 Jul 8, 2012
HumanSpirit wrote:
<quoted text>
What we are dealing with is corporations that have membership in the American Legal Exchange Corporations (ALEC) and then we judges that have membership in the organization. Look at the fines compared to the worldwide sales of a particular drug. The fine should be punishing.
You are on track. What we see over and over is how FDA approval and licencing means giving permission to give an experimental drug to consumers to see how it goes. It is actually a safety test permitted by the FDA on unsuspecting patients. It can go on for years (MERCK'S VIOXX) before its realized that its dangerous and has maimed and killed. Vioxx killed 88,000 and seriously injured 169,000. No criminal charges were levied against Merck owners. They settled out of court, as per standard practice, so that no criminal charges apply. No fault is found and a small portion of actual profits are levied as a fine and victim compensation. Then its on to the next faulty, fraudulent product. This is the Pharmafia at work, leaving victims in its wake with FDA approval.
Psych student

Orlando, FL

#45 Jul 8, 2012
Need A Dump wrote:
<quoted text> Translation: DUH!
You can find a conspiracy theory where there are humans. We are biologically prone to corruption, and some people just need to read a little history to realize that nothing has really changed.
Psych student

Orlando, FL

#48 Jul 9, 2012
Meaning there will always be conflict of interest where paychecks are involved.

Haha and great straw man argument you have going, but lets hear about the vaccines that kill and cause autism.

And please not the 1998 Lancet paper lol

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Health Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Can Candida albicans cause Prostatitis? 1 hr Darley Allen 1
Pregnancy Symptoms - 12 Very Early Symptoms of ... (Jun '07) 1 hr kcc06114 5,988
Texting may cause neck and spine injury 4 hr Chiropractor From... 6
Centura Health to smokers: No jobs for you 4 hr Schmones 1
Esophagus Spasm - How my mom STOPS her Esophage... (May '12) 4 hr Gratefullness 141
Dr. Lisa Stern, 54, right, a pediatrician, talk... 6 hr VACCINE 101 1
Vaccine court: Parents fight, government fights... 6 hr VACCINE 101 2

Health People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE