It's the Guns, Stupid

Apr 20, 2007 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Truthdig

“And that's the end of the issue”

Why do we have the same futile argument every time there is a mass killing? Advocates of gun control try to open a discussion about whether more reasonable weapons statutes might reduce the number of violent ... via Truthdig

Comments (Page 3,564)

Showing posts 71,261 - 71,280 of103,232
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Light Bearer

Bangkok, Thailand

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 5, 2012

Nixx wrote:
<quoted text>
I was told Australia, Canada, and even USA, all pay 'taxes' to the Crown, but this has nothing to do with Royalties. It is The Crown of the Templar Church, which is based in London, England.
So we all pay to the Roman Catholic Church.
LOL. There actually is a church tax in Germany. The rest of the world pays tax through "Tax Free for Religious Organisations"
And there is separation of Church from State.
Just not for the taxpayer.LOL
truth

Perth, Australia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 5, 2012

http://www.bz-berlin.de/archiv/neue-terrorpla...
kako je tvojoj mami ime
imas li ti mamu
dali ona kuha pure i mlika
puara corn konflex komplex story
o really
its ok just mix up starange letters can be divije zelje za rucak..veji nice like veju veju pahulje mraz po staklu sara stize nova godina a odlazi stara

a tako

who is killer
you are nouro doctor

i will find all of yopu by myself

smuch mljac
how many face on how many place

i cry to much
remember that
my enemy with great envy don't fill shame
why should be
they are to much smart
oh really
simple discover without nothing on cornfield as
scary cro in ozy land
byyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy
truth

Perth, Australia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 5, 2012

http://www.google.com.au/search...

they are all evil mind within..shout up evil people
do you understood
without knowing cvrk in mind is complex issue
colect as mozaic
shou up evil people
i am sick of all of you

why?

7 billions people on this planet

Since: Jan 11

Mount Holly, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 5, 2012

Dr Freud wrote:
<quoted text>
Representation wasn't the only one issue. The Empire treated the colonies with extreme arrogance.
Did you know that the colonies were prohibited from manufacturing their own hand tools? Even owning a tool which was made locally was treated as a breach of law. Everything had to be shipped over from Great Britain with the attendant egregious expense. The very same went for clothing: Gentleman's clothing was either made in Great Britain, or shipped via British agents.
The colonialists were hamstrung in commerce, as the only things they were allowed to import were British-made, or British imported goods, and all exports had to be handled through a British shipping agent which also cost an arm and a leg.
If you owned land and wanted to sell all or a part of it, that transaction could only be undertaken by one of the King's land agent representative who was a crony to whatever governor of the respective colony, and that cost was rather exorbitant.
In short, the corporations ran things (does that begin to sound familiar?), and there was virtually no way around matters.
Representation was actually a very small part of what set off the powder keg.
Yes, agreed, but I believe the people thought they could stop it with voices in Parliament. Come to think of it, the representation would have probably been cronies to the crown anyway.

The more things change, the more they stay the same. We've come full circle, except the crown isn't across the Atlantic anymore.

“Imaginez tous les gens”

Since: Sep 09

Johnstown, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 5, 2012

ZigmunnDroid wrote:
<quoted text>
Jane you ignorant slut,
Ya know that line kinda loses it's luster when you use it on EVERYONE who disagrees with you.

Come up with NEW material...and not lines from outdated TV shows.
Come up with something on your own:)
Quit plagiarizing Saturday Night Live.
ZigmunnDroid wrote:
<quoted text>
less than 50 kids a year (under 10) get killed accidently with guns here.
UNDER 10? What about 10 year olds themselves? What about 11 year olds?
12 year olds?
13?
14?
15?
....?????
Are those not kids to you?
...and also, what about hose who are killed on purpose, and NOT accidentally?
What about suicide?
ZigmunnDroid wrote:
1. Can you get any more biased than a JOHN LOTT website?
YIKES!
lol
ugh
2. I thought you said kids (under 10)...yet this kid is 11. Do you even see that you contradict your own words?
3. This kids got shot! Does it count because he's 11?
ZigmunnDroid wrote:
<quoted text>
I realize you want those kids unarmed so you can molest them, but hey, stick to your own country.
This has got to be the most ignorant, immature, and disgusting thing I've read on topix in a long time:(
The poster you're referring to could easily turn this around on you, and claim you do not think an 11 year old is a child, because you want to have sex with him legally.
I honestly do not know what your logic for not thinking 10, 11, 12 13, 14....year olds are NOT kids too!
What is your motive with that?
Is it to make the child gun death numbers sound less astounding?
Tray

Tupelo, MS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 5, 2012

Snow Bunny_ wrote:
<quoted text>Ya know that line kinda loses it's luster when you use it on EVERYONE who disagrees with you.
Come up with NEW material...and not lines from outdated TV shows.
Come up with something on your own:)
Quit plagiarizing Saturday Night Live.
<quoted text>UNDER 10? What about 10 year olds themselves? What about 11 year olds?
12 year olds?
13?
14?
15?
....?????
Are those not kids to you?
...and also, what about hose who are killed on purpose, and NOT accidentally?
What about suicide?
<quoted text>
1. Can you get any more biased than a JOHN LOTT website?
YIKES!
lol
ugh
2. I thought you said kids (under 10)...yet this kid is 11. Do you even see that you contradict your own words?
3. This kids got shot! Does it count because he's 11?
<quoted text>This has got to be the most ignorant, immature, and disgusting thing I've read on topix in a long time:(
The poster you're referring to could easily turn this around on you, and claim you do not think an 11 year old is a child, because you want to have sex with him legally.
I honestly do not know what your logic for not thinking 10, 11, 12 13, 14....year olds are NOT kids too!
What is your motive with that?
Is it to make the child gun death numbers sound less astounding?
Are you back again? I have a better one. How about parents that kill their kids in gruesome ways then go to the nut house for a few months then walk the streets like nothing happened? Mothers drown their kids but you don't scream ban water or even mention the slap on the wrist then pity for the killers being mental. Yet an object proven to be of use in self defense is evil. Why don't you place the blame where it belongs, ON THE KILLER and society for allowing these nut cases to keep walking. How many parents would let harm come to their child much less cause that harm if the law was automatic drawn and quartered within 24 hours of that harm coming to the child? I bet it would also severely deter unwanted pregnancy and unprotected sex. We would no longer have the argument of abortion either. Another benefit would be a large drop in aids.
Dr Freud

Ireland

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 5, 2012

Nixx wrote:
<quoted text>
I was told Australia, Canada, and even USA, all pay 'taxes' to the Crown, but this has nothing to do with Royalties. It is The Crown of the Templar Church, which is based in London, England.
So we all pay to the Roman Catholic Church.
Provide proof of that.
Josh

Melbourne, Australia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 5, 2012

Dr Freud wrote:
<quoted text>
Provide proof of that.
He's joking around Freud. The point is Australians do not pay taxes to the Queen.
Dr Freud

Switzerland

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 5, 2012

Josh wrote:
<quoted text>
He's joking around Freud. The point is Australians do not pay taxes to the Queen.
Well actually you do, if as it has been laid out, that you must defray her expenses when visiting your land. Somebody has to pay that, and government doesn't make any money of its own.
Kat

Australia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 6, 2012

Tray wrote:
<quoted text> Are you back again? I have a better one. How about parents that kill their kids in gruesome ways then go to the nut house for a few months then walk the streets like nothing happened? Mothers drown their kids but you don't scream ban water or even mention the slap on the wrist then pity for the killers being mental. Yet an object proven to be of use in self defense is evil. Why don't you place the blame where it belongs, ON THE KILLER and society for allowing these nut cases to keep walking. How many parents would let harm come to their child much less cause that harm if the law was automatic drawn and quartered within 24 hours of that harm coming to the child? I bet it would also severely deter unwanted pregnancy and unprotected sex. We would no longer have the argument of abortion either. Another benefit would be a large drop in aids.
You lost me here. But I agree, you all need more guns to fire back at the killers. Everyone should be armed to protect themselves! There would be no more death.

Sigh.
Dr Freud

Switzerland

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 6, 2012

Kat wrote:
<quoted text>
You lost me here. But I agree, you all need more guns to fire back at the killers. Everyone should be armed to protect themselves! There would be no more death.
Sigh.
In the main you are correct. But, and THIS is important: If EVERYONE were armed, there would likely be the same number of deaths as currently.
Compare: In many places, illicit drug use is is against the law. Yet that use prevails.
WHAT is THE driver of that drug use? DEMAND.
What drives/CAUSES demand?
Human nature.
Do we 'outlaw' human nature, for the failings of the few?
I would hope not!
Tray

Tupelo, MS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 6, 2012

Kat wrote:
<quoted text>
Sigh.
You still miss the point. There will always be death, there will always be killers, there will always be those you wish to take advantage of the weak. Always has been always will be. Disarming their victims just makes it easier. You need to read up more on human history and the atrocity humans are capable of. Guns are just the preferred weapon in this time in human history. Rocks, sticks, swords, spears, bows, arrows are just weapons evolving. Someday the gun will be as obsolete as the rock. You can never ban weapons, the human is capable of just creating new ones just as the war on drugs caused the creation of new more powerful and more dangerous drugs. Make a better lock just makes better thieves. Guns don't kill they are just tools just as a gun will not save you in an attack situation but it can give you the tool to fight back and at least have a chance but as with killers it is only as good or bad as the owner.

“O'er the land of the free ? ”

Since: Jan 09

Don't Tread On Me

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 6, 2012

Kat wrote:
<quoted text>
Sigh.
Were you a kindergarten drop out ?
Kat

Australia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 6, 2012

Clearly you were if you don't comprehend sarcasm.

The argument guns is just the tool of a killer is laughable. Guns make it very easy to kill. Too easy. By your flawed logic, why can't everyone have a bomb? Only for protection, of course.

“O'er the land of the free ? ”

Since: Jan 09

Don't Tread On Me

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 6, 2012

Judged:

Kat wrote:
The argument guns is just the tool of a killer is laughable. Guns make it very easy to kill. Too easy. By your flawed logic, why can't everyone have a bomb? Only for protection, of course.
I know sarcasm" and yours is born of stupidity and immaturity.

Baseball bats make it very easy to kill.

Cavemen used sharpened stones.

You can have a bomb if you wish , if you are creative enough.

I imagine if you are the victim of a home invasion which is an increasing crime in OZ , you will be quite happy for the police to come to fill out a report if their level of funding permits them a car.

You don't live in a fantasyland.

Sweep your own doorstep.

Americans hardly need your advice or sarcasm.
Tray

Tupelo, MS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 6, 2012

Judged:

Kat wrote:
Talk about flawed logic. When a rock was the most powerful weapon would banning them stopped killers? How about the sword? Have you ever heard of IED? Improvised explosive device, they are used around the world everyday and no they are not sold at Walmart that is why IMPROVISED is part of the name. Oklahoma City FBI building ring a bell? You just don't get it, lock a criminal up and put a guard on them 24/7 and they still attack each other with weapons they make with resources at hand. Killers use whatever tool they can get and outlawing one just makes them use another in most cases more powerful. Would a wolf prefer to get in a pen full of sheep or a pen full of wolves? Disarming the victims is "Flawed Logic".
Tray

Tupelo, MS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 6, 2012

Judged:

Kat wrote:
I guess you missed the fight and debate over switch blade knives. They were the weapon of choice for gangs, they made killing too easy, banning them would save lives. Guess what, IT DIDN'T WORK. It just caused gangs to move up to guns. Ban guns and let's see that work just as well. Ban Pot and guess what? Drugs like meth pop up. Yet another success at altering human nature.

“Imaginez tous les gens”

Since: Sep 09

Johnstown, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 6, 2012

Judged:

Tray wrote:
<quoted text> Are you back again? I have a better one. How about parents that kill their kids in gruesome ways then go to the nut house for a few months then walk the streets like nothing happened? Mothers drown their kids but you don't scream ban water or even mention the slap on the wrist then pity for the killers being mental. Yet an object proven to be of use in self defense is evil. Why don't you place the blame where it belongs, ON THE KILLER and society for allowing these nut cases to keep walking. How many parents would let harm come to their child much less cause that harm if the law was automatic drawn and quartered within 24 hours of that harm coming to the child? I bet it would also severely deter unwanted pregnancy and unprotected sex. We would no longer have the argument of abortion either. Another benefit would be a large drop in aids.
1. Yes, I'm back again:)
I never really left though...but whatever:)

2. I don't know any parents that have been convicted of brutally killing their kids, and are NOW walking the streets. What are you talking about, and what point are you trying to make here?

3. If you don't know the difference between WATER (which humans needs to LIVE, and for physical hygiene) as opposed to GUNS, then you're a lost cause:)
We NEED water for every day living, we do NOT need guns for every day living...just ask Japan!

4. Mostly, I never wanted a ban on guns. I am for REGULATING GUN!
Just like it says in the 2nd amendment!
"Well regulated".
Just like POOLS are regulated to prevent injury and drowning (water) I would want the same for guns:)

5. Who are you referring to when you say "don't even mention the slap on the wrist"?
HUH?
This makes no sense.
I know a LOT of people that are against guns, and HATE Casey Anthony, and have spoken out endlessly against her freedom!
Try to pay attention better:)

6. I never said guns were evil. The evil lies in the person USING the gun:) The gun just makes it so much easier to express that evil, and KILL many people in mere seconds.

7. I do place the blame on the killers....what are you talking about? You make no sense.

8. Are you saying you are FOR guns rights...but AGAINST human and civil rights?
How can you feel that someone has the right to a GUN, but does NOT have the right to a TRIAL, or even charges properly?
Drawn and quartered within hours? What if the person was innocent, and the child lied, then regretted it...his parent would already be DEAD!
DUH!
Back to the real world and common sense please:)
That's why WE and almost every developed country has a Judicial system!

9. How would it "deter unwanted pregnancy"?
Can you be specific?

10. How would it END the abortion debate?
Can you be specific?

11. How would it drops aids?
can you be specific?

Is this your OPINION or are you basing this on facts?
I bet it's a moot opinion.

blah

Glen Iris, Australia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 6, 2012

Snow Bunny_ wrote:
<quoted text>
1. Yes, I'm back again:)
I never really left though...but whatever:)
Hey
Snow Bunny_ wrote:
<quoted text>
2. I don't know any parents that have been convicted of brutally killing their kids, and are NOW walking the streets. What are you talking about, and what point are you trying to make here?
Snow Bunny,
Snow Bunny_ wrote:
<quoted text>
3. If you don't know the difference between WATER (which humans needs to LIVE, and for physical hygiene) as opposed to GUNS, then you're a lost cause:)
We NEED water for every day living, we do NOT need guns for every day living...just ask Japan!
How
Snow Bunny_ wrote:
<quoted text>
4. Mostly, I never wanted a ban on guns. I am for REGULATING GUN!
Just like it says in the 2nd amendment!
"Well regulated".
Just like POOLS are regulated to prevent injury and drowning (water) I would want the same for guns:)
About
Snow Bunny_ wrote:
<quoted text>
5. Who are you referring to when you say "don't even mention the slap on the wrist"?
HUH?
This makes no sense.
I know a LOT of people that are against guns, and HATE Casey Anthony, and have spoken out endlessly against her freedom!
Try to pay attention better:)
You
Snow Bunny_ wrote:
<quoted text>
6. I never said guns were evil. The evil lies in the person USING the gun:) The gun just makes it so much easier to express that evil, and KILL many people in mere seconds.
STFU
Snow Bunny_ wrote:
<quoted text>
7. I do place the blame on the killers....what are you talking about? You make no sense.
And
Snow Bunny_ wrote:
<quoted text>
8. Are you saying you are FOR guns rights...but AGAINST human and civil rights?
How can you feel that someone has the right to a GUN, but does NOT have the right to a TRIAL, or even charges properly?
Drawn and quartered within hours? What if the person was innocent, and the child lied, then regretted it...his parent would already be DEAD!
DUH!
Back to the real world and common sense please:)
That's why WE and almost every developed country has a Judicial system!
Go
Snow Bunny_ wrote:
<quoted text>
9. How would it "deter unwanted pregnancy"?
Can you be specific?
Gag
Snow Bunny_ wrote:
<quoted text>
10. How would it END the abortion debate?
Can you be specific?
On
Snow Bunny_ wrote:
<quoted text>
11. How would it drops aids?
can you be specific?
Is this your OPINION or are you basing this on facts?
I bet it's a moot opinion.
Cawk?
blah

Glen Iris, Australia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 6, 2012

Judged:

Can't believe you clowns are still arguing over this.

The OP was correct. It's the Guns, Stupid.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 71,261 - 71,280 of103,232
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••
•••